Tiny Amount Of Seeds Likely To Mean Self Pollinated?

Ravenplume

So, this is something I kinda asked about a couple times in one or two of my journals, but I am guessing it likely got lost in the rambling narratives. That said...

If a plant only produces a tiny handful of seeds, compared to the metric assload a random mass pollination generates, is that a good indicator that the plant "emergency" self pollinated and the seeds are nearly guaranteed to be feminized?

if its outdoors then it might of got a whif of pollen from neighbours. if it was indoors then it might have been flashed when it was in its dark period. you never said how long it was in flower. if its been in flower too long then it probably rodelized and made its own seeds. those will be feminized.

If a plant only produces a tiny handful of seeds, compared to the metric assload a random mass pollination generates, is that a good indicator that the plant "emergency" self pollinated and the seeds are nearly guaranteed to be feminized?
Not sure how much a "... tiny handful of seeds ..." but most likely if there are only a few seeds then the plant probably did grow a few male flowers somewhere on the plant. No guarantee but a good possibility that the seeds will produce female plants. Based on what some growers here and on other web pages have said there is a chance that any female plant grown from these seeds will produce a lot of male flowers, much more than number of male flowers that produced the tiny handful of seeds.

Something to keep in mind is that any plants from the seeds will require extra work to remove male flowers.

Not sure how much a "... tiny handful of seeds ..." but most likely if there are only a few seeds then the plant probably did grow a few male flowers somewhere on the plant. No guarantee but a good possibility that the seeds will produce female plants. Based on what some growers here and on other web pages have said there is a chance that any female plant grown from these seeds will produce a lot of male flowers, much more than number of male flowers that produced the tiny handful of seeds.

Something to keep in mind is that any plants from the seeds will require extra work to remove male flowers.
Tiny amount of seeds is perhaps under 20, unlike my Wildlings and 2 of the Birthday Cakes , which have seeds measured in the assloads.

My 2 best examples are the 2021 Bitter Sweet Pie (about 5 seeds so far with only 2 actually surviving, and the Bubblegum (thus far only 10 or 11), and both of those were huge girl;s too. My current presumption for those two is female unless one of them shows otherwise.

I'm actually hoping for some males from the Birthday Cake Lites (only half breeds since my Wildling Boy got them), and what should be a full fledged Feyleaf (new name and claim from breeding a Wildling actual brother/sister pair together)...but that is a big reveal and subject for another post when the time comes.

Oh yeah, I am also not too concerned about having to weed out males, as I actually want at least 1 male and female from each Birthday Cake Lite and Feyleaf, the BCLs in order to "noble breed" a brother and sister from each plant back together (new related names are already standing by) and to further "noble breed" the Feyleafs from Generation 0 to Generation 1 before trying that "magic colloidal silver potion" to make feminized Feyleafs...

Experimenting with much more nowadays than just merely growing weed to keep supplied throughout the year. :)

I would say if the seeds are all localized to a certain branch, area of the plant, bud..etc.. then most likely it was a self pollination from a nanner.

If the seeds are randomly throughout the plant, in many buds, branches..etc... then it probably could be from a nearby male, bee pollination as pollen can travel quite long distances.

I would say if the seeds are all localized to a certain branch, area of the plant, bud..etc.. then most likely it was a self pollination from a nanner.

If the seeds are randomly throughout the plant, in many buds, branches..etc... then it probably could be from a nearby male, bee pollination as pollen can travel quite long distances.

The ones I was suspecting as self pollinated were localized as you described it. Yes.

I've gotten many random seeds over the last however many years the M M dispensary have been open here. all I've grown since the 80's has been from hermie seed, if careful I have no issues the occasional seed I get or if lucky enough to get some female pollen I make seeds. I read an article years ago that said in some plants the need reproduce is so strong it will grow male flowers if giving enough time. Grow those seeds save ur female pollen

Many species of plants can produce seeds without pollination, I've always supposed that could be possible with some cannabis strains under some conditions
Interesting but I cannot find any references that say that seeds produced without pollination are viable and can sprout. Pollination provides both sides of the dna strand. Without some sort of pollination the male half is not available.

Unless you are thinking of a plant that can produce a seed that will never mature. The inside stays hollow or soft and never develops the cotyledons or the embryo.

From what I have been able to sus out here and other sites is that sometimes after flowering, if there are no males around to pollinate and propagate the plant, it will sorts "panic" and some flowers will undergo a change that will turn them into boys in order to self pollinate. And the way I may be misunderstanding this phenomenon is that when this happens, the flower produces strictly XX pollen vs typical male XY. And because of this, the new seeds will be feminized.

Apparently, there are some sort of silver based concoctions you can make and apply to individual buds that will cause this to happen as well, and this is a much more desirable means than stressing the plant out and turning it full fledged hermie, which supposedly can cause all sorts of genetic weirdness.

I do still plan on experimenting with a hermie or two one of these days, simply for the sake of what I call mad half-assed science. Just an experience I want to get under my belt.

From what I have been able to sus out here and other sites is that sometimes after flowering, if there are no males around to pollinate and propagate the plant, it will sorts "panic" and some flowers will undergo a change that will turn them into boys in order to self pollinate. And the way I may be misunderstanding this phenomenon is that when this happens, the flower produces strictly XX pollen vs typical male XY. And because of this, the new seeds will be feminized.

Apparently, there are some sort of silver based concoctions you can make and apply to individual buds that will cause this to happen as well, and this is a much more desirable means than stressing the plant out and turning it full fledged hermie, which supposedly can cause all sorts of genetic weirdness.

I do still plan on experimenting with a hermie or two one of these days, simply for the sake of what I call mad half-assed science. Just an experience I want to get under my belt.
Enjoy experimenting! some of the most famous strains we know today started out as hermi's and selfed seeds :)

Just a fair warning... cannabis is not addictive, but making seeds... now that is very very addictive :) lol... i started about 5 years ago and haven't stopped.. .LOL

Cheers to some awesome original creations!

So, this is something I kinda asked about a couple times in one or two of my journals, but I am guessing it likely got lost in the rambling narratives. That said...

Howdy what they say is 90% of the beans will be fem on a Hermie If they are even viable✌️

Back
Top Bottom