TNR's First Grow

IMG_20160927_142933069_HDR.jpg

So I'm a little concerned about BN's leaf structure. She's ONLY making 3-fingered growth. Is this a sign of polyploidy or a clone taken too high on the mother plant? Will this affect bud structure. She finishes her leaves very early because they just have 3

IMG_20160927_143037592_HDR.jpg

My Gorilla. So fresh and so green, green.

I only go a minute so I'll come back... But clones have a funny way of growing. It's very unpredictable, if you like go back in my journal and check out my two ww clones as an example. I had single finger leaves for weeks. Soo... Ya gtg to work.. Catch you later.

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Edit : each time a feeder root is torn or cut they end up branching off much like growth tips after topping. I common practice is called root scoring. Which is why you transplant, you slice the root ball on all four sides before going into a new pot. Root growth explodes afterwards. So probing your soil is not Kush of a problem unless you snap the main taproot I the center. Always take readings from about 2 inches from the pots edge and go as deep as you can since your looking for root zone conditions and not what's near the top with very little root mass. Makes sense?

I only go a minute so I'll come back... But clones have a funny way of growing. It's very unpredictable, if you like go back in my journal and check out my two ww clones as an example. I had single finger leaves for weeks. Soo... Ya gtg to work.. Catch you later.

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Edit : each time a feeder root is torn or cut they end up branching off much like growth tips after topping. I common practice is called root scoring. Which is why you transplant, you slice the root ball on all four sides before going into a new pot. Root growth explodes afterwards. So probing your soil is not Kush of a problem unless you snap the main taproot I the center. Always take readings from about 2 inches from the pots edge and go as deep as you can since your looking for root zone conditions and not what's near the top with very little root mass. Makes sense?

I appreciate the insight. Yeah BN is definitely an oddball with her leaf growth. I won't stress over it too much.

And awesome! good to know. I never know how deep to stick it, and it's not intuitive to me yet.

11:52 pm
Today's researched taught be a lot about the water table in my potted plants. Also learned that it's not my fault my tomatoes aren't really fruiting. It's been 89-104 over the past week and the heat keeps killing my most promising flowers.

The same cannot be said for my clones, which I think have earned the right to be considered fully fledged plants at this point. They are loving their 4 hours of cloudless sky right after their nap. GG4 looks like such a happy plant. I swear there is new growth on her since I checked her before work. New leaf sites are popping up every day it seems like.

The leaves look healthy. They tend to burn where they touch the cheap plastic pot. If they're roasting the fan leaves that way, I think I should protect the base of the pot too so that the roots can safely touch the sides of the container.

I did a shit-tier LST on BN the other day, and i caught a fan leaf in the tie. The stress on the fan leaf caused that leaf to grow a 4th finger. Idk. thought it was kinda cool.

Pics soon

i got into a pretty heated argument w/ my BIL over grow technique. He took one look at my setup and it was ON
"You need to be pulling off those fan leaves bruh."
"why is your soil so dry?"
"6 weeks old? Mine were twice that size!"

It was equal parts encouraging and frustrating trying to talk growing with the only other person i know who really does this.
he uses different media, so often I found our grow philosophies clashing. It's always nice to have your ideas challenged.
We smoked a bit and I shared a few Jorge Cervantes videos that influenced some of my growind decisions.

It did make me spend 45 min bending leaves back and wondering about what the future holds for my plants

I hope all is well in your corners of the world
:Namaste:

What you will learn is that less is more.

A few things....

1. Get a pH meter and check everything you put into your plants (pH should be between 6.3-6.8).

2. Nutes seem "easy", but maybe try a soil mix that will give your plants what they need.

3. What is your watering schedule? I soak my plants in pH adjusted water, but also top water in teas, etc. I weigh them to monitor water usage, and that has helped a ton.

Above all else... patience. I used to get so discouraged looking at all the great grows, but that will come in time. Just keep reading and learning . .

What you will learn is that less is more.

A few things....

1. Get a pH meter and check everything you put into your plants (pH should be between 6.3-6.8).

2. Nutes seem "easy", but maybe try a soil mix that will give your plants what they need.

3. What is your watering schedule? I soak my plants in pH adjusted water, but also top water in teas, etc. I weigh them to monitor water usage, and that has helped a ton.

Above all else... patience. I used to get so discouraged looking at all the great grows, but that will come in time. Just keep reading and learning . .

Thanks for the encouragement. I definitely hear you about the Less is More. I started off over-loving my plants. I'm getting better at being hands-off.

To your points:
1. I have a pH Reader, but it's not a precise instrument. I'll show you in a subsequent post.

2. I don't have a precise schedule yet, partially because the needs of both plants have varied. GG4 is in a much larger pot, and is still very perky, so she hasn't been watered since 9/25. My soil moisture instrument indicates that she should be do for once soon.
BN I watered today. I filled a pot up with 2 gallons of water, mixed 2 tsp Grow Big, checked the ph (~6), and bottom soaked the pot, tilting it this way and that to allow it to saturate.

My next official cycle, I think I'll do Pro HP mix and do the Hi-Brix methodology.

3. What kind of teas do you use? Do you mix them yourself or do you purchase them premixed and ready to soak?

I really love your suggestion of using a scale to monitor my girls' water usage. Harbor Freights here I come.

Thanks for popping in. Means a lot.

IMG_20161004_123225885.jpg

BN today, 5 min after watering. She's growing so very slow it's beginning to frustrate me. I think it's my doing. I'm going to re-Pot her tomorrow in a 2 gallon. Maybe more soil space will encourage her to get a bit bigger, even though she's not rootbound yet.

IMG_20161004_123122527.jpg

Under the canopy of GG4. This plant feels like the epitome of health, Such a vibrant green. No burns or pests. I did the lightest defol last night, taking off every branch that had no chance of passing the rim of the pot.

IMG_20161004_122938857.jpg

Top view GG4. She's gaining momentum like crazy. She either found the water table or the bottom of the pot.

IMG_20161004_122448479_HDR.jpg

PrimitiveWatering

IMG_20161004_122337205_HDR.jpg

My 3 way instrument. Between the 6 and 7 hash marks, you have to estimate. I don't doubt its accuracy, just it's precision.
This is the pH of the water I added to BN

Thanks for the encouragement. I definitely hear you about the Less is More. I started off over-loving my plants. I'm getting better at being hands-off.

To your points:
1. I have a pH Reader, but it's not a precise instrument. I'll show you in a subsequent post.

2. I don't have a precise schedule yet, partially because the needs of both plants have varied. GG4 is in a much larger pot, and is still very perky, so she hasn't been watered since 9/25. My soil moisture instrument indicates that she should be do for once soon.
BN I watered today. I filled a pot up with 2 gallons of water, mixed 2 tsp Grow Big, checked the ph (~6), and bottom soaked the pot, tilting it this way and that to allow it to saturate.

My next official cycle, I think I'll do Pro HP mix and do the Hi-Brix methodology.

3. What kind of teas do you use? Do you mix them yourself or do you purchase them premixed and ready to soak?

I really love your suggestion of using a scale to monitor my girls' water usage. Harbor Freights here I come.

Thanks for popping in. Means a lot.

I love this site! So many growers at different stages in their development with so much knowledge...I read as much as possible to improve my techniques and regimen for my plants. My anxiety level has definitely gone down . .

Using the scale has made a tremendous difference in my grow this time. The girls are responding well and I can pinpoint when they need water to the day.

I use primarily a tea with alfalfa, kelp meal, and EWC.

Recipe is:

2.5 gallons water
1/2 - 1 cup alfalfa meal
1/2 cup EWC
1 TBSP kelp meal
1 TBSP molasses
2 TBSP fish emulsion

Bubble for 12-24 hours, strain, and serve. I put my "dry" ingredients in a strainer bag (with airstones) and tie it off, so no need to strain.

I also use foliar sprays between watering as well. The foliar I use is:

Prepare dry mix and store in ziploc bag:
1/3 cup alfalfa meal
1/3 cup EWC
1/3 cup kelp meal
1 TSP rock dust

When ready to use add 2 TSP dry mix to 1 gallon of water and 1 TSP molasses and 1 TSP Bioag fulpower and bubble for 12 hours. Cut mixture 50:50 with water and spray generously on tops and bottoms of leaves (when lights about to go out of course).

Keep it green...

YT

10/8/2016
8:38 am

Sorry for the delay. Life gets in the way sometimes, but these plants have been doing their thing with 30 min of care a day.

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

IMG_20161008_095050656.jpg

So let's start with the bad.

BN's up-potting went smoothly. She was not root bound, but the taproot had reached the bottom. I was so anxious to do it I forgot to take photos, but the roots had not encircled the pot yet. The taproot was just kind of chilling lazily at the relatively shallow bottom with a strong ball near the base of the stem.

I ran out of FFOF so she's now in what I had left plut some LGM cheapo mix and perlite. No real signs of health issues. She has two yellow leaves, but new growth is coming out green. I think she just lacks self esteem. hopefully her bigger home will help with that.

IMG_20161007_075346340.jpg

GG4 is blowing me away. She is turning into such a beautiful plant. All her growth is coming on with these thick, 5 finger leaves in denser and denser clusters as she reaches up.

I finally watered her yesterday. She took .75 gal out of 2 gal mixed with growbig 2 tsp. pH was 7 after i stirred, but I wasn't stressing it really. I figure the soil should work out the kinks.

IMG_20161007_075403627.jpg

This was right after GG4 woke up but before the water, 10/7 @ 12:20pm

IMG_20161008_094838868.jpg

This was rnow

Let me see if I can get a better angle on the right now photo. I'm not doing her justice.

Yankee. You're really dropping gems. My shopping list is piling up. I've put purchases on hold until my Grow tent arrives and I can establish my space, but your advice is not falling on deaf ears. I've been wanting to see what foliar spraying was like. A thousand thanks.

Are these teas universally healthy to most plants and soil for growing? I have a little personal garden in the back, and I know I'm going to experiment with some alfalfa tea and spray on my tomatoes as soon as I get bubbling.

Let me see if I can get a better angle on the right now photo. I'm not doing her justice.

Yankee. You're really dropping gems. My shopping list is piling up. I've put purchases on hold until my Grow tent arrives and I can establish my space, but your advice is not falling on deaf ears. I've been wanting to see what foliar spraying was like. A thousand thanks.

Are these teas universally healthy to most plants and soil for growing? I have a little personal garden in the back, and I know I'm going to experiment with some alfalfa tea and spray on my tomatoes as soon as I get bubbling.

I use what I have left after I feed my girls on my tomato plants outside...they are over 5 feet tall...lol

Sidenote...where did you get your GG4? I like that smoke.

YT

I use what I have left after I feed my girls on my tomato plants outside...they are over 5 feet tall...lol

Sidenote...where did you get your GG4? I like that smoke.

YT

Me too! This strain seems to be en vogue right now. I'm seeing it in jars everywhere I go. Can't wait for my own stash. :yummy:

They sell the cuttings at a MMJ dispensary in Los Angeles. If your local I can shoot you the details.

Me too! This strain seems to be en vogue right now. I'm seeing it in jars everywhere I go. Can't wait for my own stash. :yummy:

They sell the cuttings at a MMJ dispensary in Los Angeles. If your local I can shoot you the details.
Unfortunately I'm about 3 time zones away....lol

10/12/2016
12:36pm

MY TENT ARRIVED!

I purchased an Apollo 4X2X5 ft grow tent and it is the perfect size.

It has been a joy building my setup over the past few months, and with this thing I truly feel like I'm a part of the indoor growing community. My excitement cannot be overstated. Every time I walk into the room I check it. No more carrying my pots to my bedroom closet to lock away for their 4hr naptime! I merely flip a switch now and tada! Dark Cycle!

There isn't a wealth of information about what grow tents are best, but I feel like I came away with a steal here. I've yet to spend over 100 dollars for a piece of grow equipment, and I want to keep it that way for this first grow.

THe only drawback I've found with my new grow space is that I feel woefully underlit with a single mars 300 light. My two plans crowd the center. I'm really only using 2x2 ft effectively. After a scale to monitor water usage, I'd like to purchase another Mars 300. at 85 bucks, I think that should be sufficient light to really give the girls what they need.

IMG_20161010_212655220.jpg

45 minutes of war with metal and mylar. I kicked my feet up thinking I was done. After trying to wire it, I discover I installed the tent upside down >:(

IMG_20161012_114634788.jpg

All Set! I threw a Habanero plant in the tent off to the side. I think it'll get enough indirect rays to get a headstart on my other pepper plants in the garden. Just stroking my curiosity really.

IMG_20161012_114328372.jpg

One of these plants is a real winner. Waxy green leaves, thick, bushy canopy, dense node structure. It makes me smile every time I check on it.

The other one. Idk. Ugly as hell. It stretchy and uninspiring.

IMG_20161012_114528168.jpg

Just sad, man. They're the same age. What's sunshine without rain, I guess.

So I showed my cousin my plants when he came over Sunday, and he mentioned in passing that he had a collection of bagseed that he's never done anything with. I laughed and told him he should plant it! I'd love another person to talk horticulture with. He shrugged. I don't think he was really with it.

I wasn't tripping. This is my journey.

Granny grabbed me today and said "Here, twonappyroots, James told me to give this to you when I saw him earlier today."

The container rattled like a maraca.

IMG_20161012_184657274.jpg

I'm soaking 6 in water tonight.

:biglaugh::geek:

You put it into the universe and it comes to you. If I get one female plant from this batch of old seeds, I'll feel blessed.

Been doing a lot of reading. Doc Bud's threads are a wealth of knowledge.

Today I'm off to purchase a scale and some Osmocote Plus.

Feeding my plant is so finnicky. Obviously the techniques I'm using for one is sub-optimal for the other. Capfuls of these liquid ferts have done damage to my tomato plants because of my carelessness. I just want healthy plants, and if this OC + shit works, I'm tossing the 50bucks worth of nutrients straight in the trash can.

In other news. GG4 is drinking water like a fish now! It hasn't been a week since I soaked her and she's already bone dry. She hasn't lost much turgor pressure yet, but I'll check her when she wakes up.

IMG_20161013_075912119.jpg
IMG_20161013_075904007_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161013_075052815.jpg
IMG_20161013_075040584.jpg

I soaked 8 of those seeds James gave me. 6 of them sank overnight, so I didn't hesitate. I set up three pots and dropped 2 per shallow hole and put a plastic bag over the top. They're sitting on the bottom shelf of my tent. Pics to come soon.

Back
Top Bottom