Too many sugar leaves? Why though

Terminatorkader

Hi! Ok so here I find myself midway in week 9 (week 5 of flower). Gorilla glue strain. There’s no smell yet which worries me but I notice lots of sugar leaves. I purposely kept these two plants with only six colas each for my first grow. I know one cola has a ton of sugar leaves and the rest are not as bad but I feel still more than pictures I’ve seen. Here’s a few of the colas so you can take a look. The girls are on the fox farms feeding system. Under two tsw2000 lights and a burple 600w hanging sideways back at them. They are in 3 gal fabric pots. Two fans for air flow. Rh right now is 53%. Temp is between 75 and 82 during the day. No less than 70 at night. I take off some fan leaves a week so by last week before harvest all should be almost gone. The bottoms are bare. I mean I can do infused coconut oil or butter with it so I’m not sad but it seems there’s too many of those sugar leaves and I’m unsure why.

Do these looking normal?

983389C2-E6B5-49C8-BFED-5A8E95A850C6.jpeg

D53C4305-650E-4CA8-8533-7AD14290F59C.jpeg

95B1B12C-6905-4B3B-AEC5-72837EC3C3EE.jpeg

9868201E-7A21-4109-809A-C74F355597C3.jpeg

9952EDF1-35BD-4766-BA1F-5FE93CFDA02F.jpeg

A0D03C04-F25A-4EA9-9A10-7DED12EEFC99.jpeg

B4387608-F861-4014-A7A0-471C2614209E.jpeg

E4974E32-C26B-4A7A-91C7-3C58F4766AD8.jpeg

The smell is there but you‘ve become nose blind to the scent, wash your hands then do a stem rub and huff on that for a few minutes. The foliage is there for a reason, fan leaves collect food for the plant, more fan leaves = more food = better growth. So what is food for the plant? Light is their food, nutes are simply vitamin pills. Fan leaves are also responsible for nutrient storage, transpiration, and a host of other things. For a new grower maybe on your next grow consider lst instead of topping or defol.... some growers remove fans to open up light to lower bud sites but the lowers will only produce popcorn buds anyway yet the same can be accomplished by tucking fans instead of snipping them. Fans are harsh and not the best to smoke but sugar leaves will frost up just fine and are premium stuff like the buds

All in all you’ve done a great job and your girls look like fire!!!

Gorgeous!! Omg I can only dream of getting a grow like that! So pretty ❤️❤️ I haven’t smoked this type yet so it will be an experience. I hear it packs a punch.

So are mine about on course for decent bud?
Yeah looks like you're doing a great job. You'll see them really start to fatten up soon. I think mine took 11 weeks in flower.

I purchased one of those hand held microscopes because I’m a little fuzzy on indicators for harvest. That’s my next stress to get over. I def don’t want to cut down too soon or too late so I’m sure you guys will be hearing from me again about that. Also read I should shut lights off a day or two before so the plant stresses a bit and kicks more to the trichomes. True or false on that darkness thing?

I purchased one of those hand held microscopes because I’m a little fuzzy on indicators for harvest. That’s my next stress to get over. I def don’t want to cut down too soon or too late so I’m sure you guys will be hearing from me again about that. Also read I should shut lights off a day or two before so the plant stresses a bit and kicks more to the trichomes. True or false on that darkness thing?
Definitely need one of those to check the trichomes. You're looking for the trichomes to change from clear to cloudy and then to amber. Most people harvest with 10-30% amber but it's personal preference really. Once all the trichomes are cloudy you're at max THC point. The more amber you have the more CBN which gives that sleepy couchlock effect.

As for the dark period I've never done it myself but a lot of people swear by it. Might try it with my current crop.

Do you think it’s your lst and lighting getting your massive buds because those are fantastic. I’d love to see your grow journals.
I think with her it was a combination of good genetics, training and lighting. She's what got me the Feb plant of the month title. She was only about 18" tall and in a little 4 ltr pot. I grow in pretty small spaces with small pots. :laugh: Yielded a little over 4oz.

Links to my journals are in my signature. Feel free to take a look and follow along. Be good to see you get a journal going.

I was planning an online journal for sure next grow. Right now this one was in a note book being new and I did some add ons as it went. I have a 4x4 grow tent and I know lighting is important. I May have over kill but there’s no leaf burn so I’m going with it. I never had stress from watering or lights. Just one week I fed a little too much snd had some tips brown but rectified that ASAP. I’m not going for the more us better either. Nice snd slow. This grow was 6 colas. Next I’ll do 12 each plant. I prefer quality over quantity snd don’t want to crowd.
Bet your tush I’ll be reading your journals!!

I was planning an online journal for sure next grow. Right now this one was in a note book being new and I did some add ons as it went. I have a 4x4 grow tent and I know lighting is important. I May have over kill but there’s no leaf burn so I’m going with it. I never had stress from watering or lights. Just one week I fed a little too much snd had some tips brown but rectified that ASAP. I’m not going for the more us better either. Nice snd slow. This grow was 6 colas. Next I’ll do 12 each plant. I prefer quality over quantity snd don’t want to crowd.
Bet your tush I’ll be reading your journals!!
Sounds like a good way to approach it. You've got a good setup there.

Oh and as @013 was saying, the plant needs the fan leaves so if you remove too many it will push out more leaves where it can. Could be what's made you feel it has too many sugar leaves. Don't worry about removing anymore before the finish line unless really necessary.

You're plants are growing fine. Next time dont remove fan leaves.

GG likes to grow with big fatty colas. Thats what you have there.

IF you want a bigger plant, grow bigger roots = more soil larger container.

I notice lots of sugar leaves.
They look great... some plants have leafier bud than others even two seeds from the same mother can be very different.

I was noticing with those two that they did grow different even though they were in the same conditions snc fed the same. First grow anc so much to learn but they are gorgeous plants to grow and we all do love that end result. Smoke or butter/oil infusion bi can’t wait to see how these ladies turn out. All is not lost ;)

Back
Top Bottom