Topping autos

Jmanzo420

Topping auto’s, yes or no? I have read that they don’t respond well to topping and would like to hear opinions and other’s experience with this.Thanks for you time pics of my girls, Gorilla glue and blue dreams

E6CAFC63-A434-4F08-A26F-249D6AA3F118.jpeg

A30639F1-C1C9-4447-A659-196A834AF2C0.jpeg

Untopped VS Topped Autos
FD2DDA8C-E4C7-4CEA-82D1-8A609D7C8559.jpeg
Always top. Anyone who gets reduced yields from topping is doing it wrong. I top above the 4th node and generally do quad lines or hexlines on my indoor autos.
2965E362-6F95-44F9-9E7A-F75EA86CCE95.jpeg
Same genetics, topped and hexlined indoors. All plants are 53 days old

I grow REGs & dont top.

2 plants is anecdotal. If you had say 20 plants topped beside 20 not topped (everything else the same) and all the topped plants were larger that'd be a thing. I've never seen it ....

Now wondering why its only cannabis that is topped?

Yup it will shorten height.... there's no way a plant will be larger after its been topped.

larger plant = larger biomass (yields).

Instead of topping suggest trying some low stress training like super cropping.

Two words for ya's - look it up.

Apical Meristem

Yup it will shorten height.... there's no way a plant will be larger after its been topped.

Apical Meristem
'look it up' is three words Bob *only kidding*
It's not only the Herb that gets topped - ask any gardener (fuchsia, roses, hydrangea...)
The only thing I don't top is seedlings flipped early, like three weeks old
Don't have space for a donkey dick with a hard on so a candelabra canopy of buds works better for me, too
There is no loss of yield, usually quite the opposite because more buds get good light
Slightly smaller buds dry more evenly and are less prone to rot

I look shit up all the time.

Topping for yields.... comparing cannabis to hydrangea.... interesting thought.

If I was a betting man I'd take you up. I've grown a lot of hydrangea - big ass bushes too... never topped a single one.

I'd compare something much more closely related to cannabis for topping conversation. Lets look at how HOPS are grown for example since hops are the closest relative to cannabis.

Pretty sure they dont top hops plants.

I know a guy.... he grows 25 foot plants organically, doesnt top and gets 30#s off 1 plant. He's been doing it like that for 30 years. Been a professional horticulturalist for +30 years and helped with cannabis import in the 60s and 70s.

The reason for him doing it like that is due to the plant count limit (4) for recreational home grown in Oregon. 120#s from 4 plants not topped.. that's some pretty good yields. Hard to beat and soil and water FTW.

I look shit up all the time.

Topping for yields.... comparing cannabis to hydrangea.... interesting thought.

If I was a betting man I'd take you up. I've grown a lot of hydrangea - big ass bushes too... never topped a single one.

I'd compare something much more closely related to cannabis for topping conversation. Lets look at how HOPS are grown for example since hops are the closest relative to cannabis.

Pretty sure they dont top hops plants.

I know a guy.... he grows 25 foot plants organically, doesnt top and gets 30#s off 1 plant. He's been doing it like that for 30 years. Been a professional horticulturalist for +30 years and helped with cannabis import in the 60s and 70s.

The reason for him doing it like that is due to the plant count limit (4) for recreational home grown in Oregon. 120#s from 4 plants not topped.. that's some pretty good yields. Hard to beat and soil and water FTW.
I hear what you're saying, and agree - but I can't do that in a 5 foot tent :cool:

I hear what you're saying, and agree - but I can't do that in a 5 foot tent :cool:
Nah me either but I give it my best shot. Best I've done indoors is 14 zips off 1 plant dried trimmed.

Apical Meristem

I've got a few words for you, mate:
Try some techniques yourself before you think you are the best grower in the world and know everything about every single growing technique. You keep arguing against better growers than yourself about the techniques they shouldn't be using. Techniques you've never tried for yourself. You find opinions from other people that are against these techniques (also people that haven't tried it for themselves) and try to bully those opinions onto others. To me that's one of the definitions of a not so smart being...

I grow REGs & dont top.

2 plants is anecdotal. If you had say 20 plants topped beside 20 not topped (everything else the same) and all the topped plants were larger that'd be a thing. I've never seen it ....
The question was about autos, so I was only referring to those. I have grown more than 2 in my life but those are what I chose for a comparison.
It’s really a preference thing, and probably 90% of people here prefer topping, so not sure why it would be a negative thing to suggest.
If you get bigger AUTOS from a single stem plant, good for you.

And to the thread starter. Topping will increase your yields if done well.
I do pretty much what Justin says, but a tad different. I always top as early as possible, third or fourth node, never keeping the first node.

Untopped VS Topped Autos
FD2DDA8C-E4C7-4CEA-82D1-8A609D7C8559.jpeg
Always top. Anyone who gets reduced yields from topping is doing it wrong. I top above the 4th node and generally do quad lines or hexlines on my indoor autos.
2965E362-6F95-44F9-9E7A-F75EA86CCE95.jpeg
Same genetics, topped and hexlined indoors. All plants are 53 days old

Apical Meristem
Thanks for your opinion, I have actually done a lot of research on the subject, I figured it would also be good to get peoples opinion’s on this site which I figured the forum was for. (Look it up) three words buddy.

As long as you get the results you want its the right way for you.I would top it but cant lie i dont grow autos.

XBOXONE/PS5
COCO/SOIL
HYDRO/CLAY PEBBLES
AUTOS/FEMS

Everyone does there thing a little different and no way is wrong unless you dont get the results you want.
The joy of growing out doors is something that will never happen in my life time were im at.So i and most
growers in tents with limited space have to train and maintain i have no use for popcorn i want fat big pretty
looking buds no light burn no bleaching etc etc and the only way i have achieved this in small tents is by topping
and training.Lets not forget an led is not going to penetrate your canopy like the sun or your old HPS/GAV.And i cant be turning pots all day. peace
:Namaste:

Apical Meristem

I don’t have a horse in this race but I’m pretty sure he can count however based on comments it appears the 2 words ^ Apical Meristem were overlooked in spite of the bold font

Back
Top Bottom