Topping

Fatlad

Hi guys just wondering on your thoughts for topping .. I've always done it on my last 3 grows but thinking I might just leave it to grow naturally ... would I benefit from doing this or would I lose out .. what's your opinions guys

Hi guys just wondering on your thoughts for topping .. I've always done it on my last 3 grows but thinking I might just leave it to grow naturally ... would I benefit from doing this or would I lose out .. what's your opinions guys
Definitely lose out on yield but natural plants are easier to manage in terms of defoliating and you won't get any stunting from topping at the beginning of the grow which is the slowest part so overall will be a quicker grow.
In my opinion if you don't wanna top just get into some LST methods and maybe a bit of super cropping?

I've never topped a single plant.
But I use LST to get more colas than I could from topping and to even out the canopy.
Proper LST could give you double even triple plus the yield.
If you've never topped a single plant then how do you know you "get more colas and a more even canopy from LST than topping".

Umm it's called common sense.
No, its not... it's called blowing hot air. If you don't have practical experience in something, please do not comment on it as if you know all about it. This is the height of disrespect to to those who do know, and to the original questioner.
I have both topped and LST'd, both extensively, sometimes on the same plant. I speak from practical experience, not conjecture.
I prefer LST when dealing with cloned plants. They grow differently than a plant from seed, and are much easier to get multiple nodes to rise up to the canopy by LST techniques than by topping.
I prefer topping when dealing with plants from seed. There are 4 main techniques for topping, all which produces a unique shape to the plant. I have used them all, extensively and depending on the particular needs of that grow, each has its strong and weak points.
But... since it was asked, let me speak to production. I topped my plants this time at node 4, producing 2 main colas and raising up the lower nodes to the canopy. From node 1 all the way up to node 4, all of the lower nodes managed to hit the canopy in the 2 months that I vegged these plants. As those lower nodes hit the top, they were also topped, so each of those nodes turned into two kolas.
Lets do a quick count at this point, about a month into veg... nodes 1-4 all risen to the top, and topped again... that is a total of 16 kolas at that point. Then over the next month, each of those got topped again. Now I have 32 main kolas, but I still was not done. By the time I flipped my biggest plant to bloom, it had around 40 kolas that were going to produce buds. I got this done in 2 months, quite a bit faster pace than would have happened by LST.
So, you have many choices when it comes to training your plants. It is not common sense that LST is better than any of the methods of topping.... they each have their place and some of us combine the two practices by topping and then using LST to manage the resulting nodes, such as in a mainline or a quad situation.

No, its not... it's called blowing hot air. If you don't have practical experience in something, please do not comment on it as if you know all about it. This is the height of disrespect to to those who do know, and to the original questioner.
I have both topped and LST'd, both extensively, sometimes on the same plant. I speak from practical experience, not conjecture.
I prefer LST when dealing with cloned plants. They grow differently than a plant from seed, and are much easier to get multiple nodes to rise up to the canopy by LST techniques than by topping.
I prefer topping when dealing with plants from seed. There are 4 main techniques for topping, all which produces a unique shape to the plant. I have used them all, extensively and depending on the particular needs of that grow, each has its strong and weak points.
But... since it was asked, let me speak to production. I topped my plants this time at node 4, producing 2 main colas and raising up the lower nodes to the canopy. From node 1 all the way up to node 4, all of the lower nodes managed to hit the canopy in the 2 months that I vegged these plants. As those lower nodes hit the top, they were also topped, so each of those nodes turned into two kolas.
Lets do a quick count at this point, about a month into veg... nodes 1-4 all risen to the top, and topped again... that is a total of 16 kolas at that point. Then over the next month, each of those got topped again. Now I have 32 main kolas, but I still was not done. By the time I flipped my biggest plant to bloom, it had around 40 kolas that were going to produce buds. I got this done in 2 months, quite a bit faster pace than would have happened by LST.
So, you have many choices when it comes to training your plants. It is not common sense that LST is better than any of the methods of topping.... they each have their place and some of us combine the two practices by topping and then using LST to manage the resulting nodes, such as in a mainline or a quad situation.
Very well said.
Umm it's called common sense.
What @Emilya said. If you haven't experimented and tinkered then you have no foot to stand on with such bold claims. Topping actually gets an even canopy quicker cos you're going straight from one main point of growth to 2 instantly diving the top in half and forcing lower growth to speed up. Bud growth will be more even at the top aswell. With LST you are constantly chasing and pinning that one top until eventually the other tops catch up or another takes over then you gotta start chasing that one. But LST and topping should be utilised together for best results anyway in my opinion which is what I do.

I top everything. To me it's the only way if you want to train your plant in a somewhat symmetrical manner.
The only time I wouldn't top would be if I'd grow a SOG or if I had an outdoor plant that I wouldn't have to worry about height wise.

Wow cheers guys .. lots to take in .. I've grown 6 from seed so going of what emilya said I would be better off topping them then maybe LST train them .. I'm still learning the way of the grower and everytime i learn a little more .. got skittles..bad ass kush .. pineapple chunk and shiskaberry so gonna need to do what I can to control these babies

Wow cheers guys .. lots to take in .. I've grown 6 from seed so going of what emilya said I would be better off topping them then maybe LST train them .. I'm still learning the way of the grower and everytime i learn a little more .. got skittles..bad ass kush .. pineapple chunk and shiskaberry so gonna need to do what I can to control these babies
Check out my current Berry D'licious grow, it is basically a Shiskaberry, and it is the one that I topped out to 40 nodes or so on each of 3 plants. It really is a beauty to behold right now... you are going to love the Shiskaberry... Santero is a great breeder. My newest grow is also pineapple chunk, so we are definitely on the same wavelength.
Here is my biggest Berry D'lish so far, about 3 weeks from the end, and please note the even canopy gained by simply topping:
Yet I dont see a single person here topping plants that gets on average 30 to 36 colas per plant in 8 weeks or less.
And Nunya... this picture is really for you. 8 weeks of veg, whack a mole topping, and I got this ... last count there were 42 large kolas developing on this plant, and none of the plants ended up with less than 32.
DSCF7383.JPG

Berry-D'licious No AACT Organic - Grow Journal
Pineapple Chunk Mega Crop Test - Grow Journal

Check out my current Berry D'licious grow, it is basically a Shiskaberry, and it is the one that I topped out to 40 nodes or so on each of 3 plants. It really is a beauty to behold right now... you are going to love the Shiskaberry... Santero is a great breeder. My newest grow is also pineapple chunk, so we are definitely on the same wavelength.
Here is my biggest Berry D'lish so far, about 3 weeks from the end, and please note the even canopy gained by simply topping:

And Nunya... this picture is really for you. 8 weeks of veg, whack a mole topping, and I got this ... last count there were 42 large kolas developing on this plant, and none of the plants ended up with less than 32.
DSCF7383.JPG

Looks like we are both on the same wavelength when it comes to choice of grow lol shame I dont have the same wavelength or knowledge to grow what you do that picture is amazing ... do you have any good links on good methods of LST with pictures etc and once again thanks for your advice it's not the 1st time you have helped me and hopefully wont be the last

Looks like we are both on the same wavelength when it comes to choice of grow lol shame I dont have the same wavelength or knowledge to grow what you do that picture is amazing ... do you have any good links on good methods of LST with pictures etc and once again thanks for your advice it's not the 1st time you have helped me and hopefully wont be the last
There are plenty of threads here doing exactly that, teaching you how to do LST and how to top. Topping covers some very distinct methods that result from topping the plant initially at different points, so in your studies of topping you want to find out what happens with a cut between nodes 2 and 3, 3 and 4 and anything over node 4. You will want to investigate mainlining and quading and see what can be done with each of those methods that use a combination of topping and LST to perform their magic. Then there is LST, and gobs of articles have been written about that, and of course, our very own @Nunyabiz is an expert in it and no doubt has many pictures and charts that he can show you... and of course there are many others too because people have been writing about these techniques for years.
Get busy with the search feature, and you will quickly locate all you need on the subject. :nomo:

Good for you, LST still works better

I love it he decides he's going to take on Emily, lol, son you brought a knife to a gun fight. But I digress, please inform us about your magical training methods....

Back
Top Bottom