Trichome change & perfect dry time?

HigherTheHigh

Will trichomes still increase to change if there are no fan leaves left?

Majority of my plant buds have matured, brown pistols no closed and swelled calyx's, yellow to no leaves left, but my eyes strain far to much trying to look through the scope causing me to get headaches.

Im cutting them down on friday but plan to keep them in darkness for the last 48h starting from wednesday at the last time lights are on so thurs/fri 48h darkness.

I usually dry with my extractor on but im thinking of turning it pretty much off as the past few times iv been drying im sure iv dried way to fast and id like to do a 10 day dry time, so wondered would i need a fan on the base just moving the air and use a few dehumidifier pots.

Dried hundreds of plants over the years but just think im not quite right on the sweet spot yet.

Thanks in advance.

IMO, probably not and if the leaves are all already faded and yellowed out, the plants are good to go no matter what the trichs tell (or don’t tell) you.

I like to run a fan in my tent when I dry, but not blowing on the plant at all, just moving air around the room. Like you I also prefer closer to a 10-14 day hang dry and too often it happens faster :/

with straining your eyes
Get a cheap dslr and an old school lens with manual aperture and focus, Invert the lens so that its backwards with an adapter. This is a very cost effective macro setup. Research how to macro, then take some snaps of the plant up close, at around F8, Manual focus. Once you got a few snaps. take the card out and throw it on the pc. Kickback relax and check out those trichs from the comfort of your fave chair or throw it on the big screen and kickback on the couch with a splif in hand.

With the yellow leaves, im assuming its cause the flush, no nutes ect ect. Did you do that too early and mayby not given enough time to ripe while it has some nutes in it?
I try to go 1-5% brown trics.
Do you dry in your substrate before harvest? cause i think its important to add the 48 hours of dark dry time in pots onto the final dry time overall, The science is super sketchy but the one thing im sure of is that light causes the plant to produce its own sugars which intern could make the final product harsher.
Do you do all the harvesting under a green light or in mostly darkness?
Technically the plant is still alive for a while after its cut.
"If it looks fresh then its still alive i.e. the cells have not disintegrated - they will be respiring, many cells will be functioning quite normally, and the plant is still technically alive.
Death in plants is quite different from that in animals - we refer to it as senescence. The key difference is that it happens to tissues and organs which can die and separate from the organism. Individual leaves can die without the plant's health being affected. Once this has happened to all the parts, the organism is considered dead, but if there is any respiring tissue left, it's still alive." - stack exchange
Thanks for the reply bud, do you think the 48h of darkness would be pointless then?
technically the 48 hours isn't necessary since its still alive after its cut and if your stay in the dark well it gets that increased resin while its still respiring and slowly dying in your dry room.
i know right, the science is sketchy at best. I might do a thread about it.
Good luck

I have a usb one but my laptop has given up on me so its perm stuck on attempting to fix windows 10 and my pc is a stretch away from it, i would of tried to bring a plant to the pc but the aroma is far to strong and my neighbours will complain :/.

I started flushing mid week 5, they were pretty much ripe then, hands down the 4 fastest plants iv ever grown, they have been hairless for the past 2-3 weeks now and fully ripen, apart from one which is all brown hairs now and starting to close up.

They were supposed to be 8-9 weeks strains and i think they finished an easy 7 weeks, but this could have been due to my environment being perfect.

I have a usb one but my laptop has given up on me so its perm stuck on attempting to fix windows 10 and my pc is a stretch away from it, i would of tried to bring a plant to the pc but the aroma is far to strong and my neighbours will complain :/.

I started flushing mid week 5, they were pretty much ripe then, hands down the 4 fastest plants iv ever grown, they have been hairless for the past 2-3 weeks now and fully ripen, apart from one which is all brown hairs now and starting to close up.

They were supposed to be 8-9 weeks strains and i think they finished an easy 7 weeks, but this could have been due to my environment being perfect.
Those pesky neighbours:yummy:
Have you thought about letting them do a fully natural dry like they do in the wild?
In the wild they are massive but if yours are large enough they can and will collapse if given enough time.
Do all the trimming before you cut(simulating insects and animals eating the plant)
Let them totally dry up in the pot and let those babys hang to the floor ( simulating the change in weather conditions of the great steppe ( where cannabis evolved) during the autumn equinox (harvest moon). basically it gets windy n stuff to allow for the seeds to be scattered.
During the central Asian autumn equinox there is around 14 hours of darkness which is all you really need as the final dark period before harvest but before that don't water at all until they are dying on their own and then cut them just after that final 14 hours once they are well and truly dry ( simulating the end of the dry season before the monsoonal rains start) dry, No humidity & windy.

Go straight from that into your cure, Curing is essntially covering cannabis and giving it %100 humidty ( this happens on the forest floor after its covered in dead plant and animal matter during monsoonal weather. Underground budda style curing is 2000+ years old.

Smoke that ancient herb :hookah::blunt:

Guys, just my $.02 but don’t do a bunch of goofy shit... just chop your plants when they’re ready, hang dry in the appropriate environment and then cure. I see a lot of growers end up with mediocre weed because they do all this weird stuff based on myths and theories. I wouldn’t cut off anything besides fans before harvest. If you wet trim too much you’ll lose a lot of the loudness and intense smells. Do what you want, just hate to see ppl jack up their hard work.

Back
Top Bottom