Trichome chemical composition changes with color?

onewarmguy

Do the THC/CBD components change when the trichomes turn from milky, to clear to amber? It strikes me that something has to be changing with the color. Does anybody know what it's doing?

You ask a great question. I don’t know if you’re going to find the answer, yet. As more and more states legalize cannabis the research should get better. What I’ve been able to find usually says clear trichromes and the thc is not well developed, milky trichromes and thc is at its highest level, little CBD. Amber and the thc is beginning to turn to CBD. That said, the CBD has a mellowing/calming effect on the thc high, not a bad thing. Now, I have never seen a scientific study or chemical analysis that proves any of it, there may be one (or more), but I can’t find them. For right now, I regard it as the conventional wisdom.

Do the THC/CBD components change when the trichomes turn from milky, to clear to amber? It strikes me that something has to be changing with the color. Does anybody know what it's doing?
Snap! I just read part of an article about that very subject. I will look to find. It was titled something like "The chemical components of trichome development. It was a bridge to far for me to understand. I'll post if I can find it. So many clicks on an internet search. PHEW!

according to ed reosenthal science,, there are indeed chemical changes going on when trikes change colour

according to ed,, trikes have their most psychoactive properties when clear,, the turn to cloudy is actually degradation of the psychoactive properties of the trichome,, not into nothing mind you,, just compounds with less psychoactive properties

ed says cloudy is thc converting to cbn

amber is full on degraded

this is why i sometimes harvest early and i certainly will advise folks to harvest early if they are having severe issues nearing end of flower

try a test yourself, harvest a bud early,, i promise,, you will be surprised

some of it mentioned here The Cannabis Ripening Process: Steps, Stages & My TOP 12 Natural Bloom Enhancers — Ed Rosenthal

according to ed reosenthal science,, there are indeed chemical changes going on when trikes change colour

according to ed,, trikes have their most psychoactive properties when clear,, the turn to cloudy is actually degradation of the psychoactive properties of the trichome,, not into nothing mind you,, just compounds with less psychoactive properties

ed says cloudy is thc converting to cbn

amber is full on degraded

this is why i sometimes harvest early and i certainly will advise folks to harvest early if they are having severe issues nearing end of flower

try a test yourself, harvest a bud early,, i promise,, you will be surprised

some of it mentioned here The Cannabis Ripening Process: Steps, Stages & My TOP 12 Natural Bloom Enhancers — Ed Rosenthal
I want to chop some early. I am worried I will pull it before there is much effective THC.
How do you determine the harvest window for an early sample? If I see starting to change to milky I could harvest some?

I want to chop some early. I am worried I will pull it before there is much effective THC.
How do you determine the harvest window for an early sample? If I see starting to change to milky I could harvest some?

I would suggest that when the bud looks a useable size, I would take a sample and put it aside,,

Note that some trichomes, the earlier ones,to form, turn milky real early,, so there is milky trikes on most if not all buds even half way to maturity

So it is the 'majority' of trikes we are looking at. If the majority of trikes is still clear, with some cloudy,, and probably some amber too,, then snip a tip friend

I would suggest that when the bud looks a useable size, I would take a sample and put it aside,,

Note that some trichomes, the earlier ones,to form, turn milky real early,, so there is milky trikes on most if not all buds even half way to maturity

So it is the 'majority' of trikes we are looking at. If the majority of trikes is still clear, with some cloudy,, and probably some amber too,, then snip a tip friend
I will do. I am laughing though. These flowers are huge. Bruce Banner takes her time to ripen and the flowers are so pretty. A rewarding grow, YES. I am loving just looking at these amazing flowers.

You ask a great question. I don’t know if you’re going to find the answer, yet. As more and more states legalize cannabis the research should get better. What I’ve been able to find usually says clear trichromes and the thc is not well developed, milky trichromes and thc is at its highest level, little CBD. Amber and the thc is beginning to turn to CBD. That said, the CBD has a mellowing/calming effect on the thc high, not a bad thing. Now, I have never seen a scientific study or chemical analysis that proves any of it, there may be one (or more), but I can’t find them. For right now, I regard it as the conventional wisdom.
I could be wrong here as am I by no means a scientist nor have I looked to deeply into this subject but I think as the turn amber the THC degrades into CBN.

Just noticed someone else posted this info... sorry!
This is what happens when I reply before I read everything =]

You can harvest early and the bud will still have a decent high to it. I've harvested around week 6 and you can still catch a buzz off the weed. Letting it mature will add some weight to the harvest though so it's all in the growers preference.

Take a lower snip of something that would end up being larf bud anyway and put it in the microwave on a low power setting (3 out of 10 or so) and zap the bud for 5 minutes (just watch for sparking if you have added too much fertilizer as most fertilizer is metals). Let it air cool in the open after the 5 minute zap and put back in for another 5 if still moist. Placing the bud on a dry paper towel folded in half will give it some air movement and help it dry just move it around on the towel to avoid moist spots as it drys. The taste won't be great but you will have a nice idea of the high you can expect.

Snap! I just read part of an article about that very subject. I will look to find. It was titled something like "The chemical components of trichome development. It was a bridge to far for me to understand. I'll post if I can find it. So many clicks on an internet search. PHEW!
MAK1, I searched your hint and I've got to tell you a bridge to far is an understatment, I haven't had to slog through something like that since college and I hope I didn't misunderstand some of the terms, but for all three research papers I read, none of them deal with trichome color except in the spectrographic analyses they use to figure out what kind of cannabidiol it contains, which is not related to what we see. Now I need to fire up a bowl to try and get my brain to stop spinning, I'm just an old backyard grower, trying to figure out terms like "Fractionation of the epidermal tissue mixture was achieved by centrifugation of the discontinuous Percoll® density gradient at 400 g at 4 ⁰C for 10 min" makes me dizzy.o_O

MAK1, I searched your hint and I've got to tell you a bridge to far is an understatment, I haven't had to slog through something like that since college and I hope I didn't misunderstand some of the terms, but for all three research papers I read, none of them deal with trichome color except in the spectrographic analyses they use to figure out what kind of cannabidiol it contains, which is not related to what we see. Now I need to fire up a bowl to try and get my brain to stop spinning, I'm just an old backyard grower, trying to figure out terms like "Fractionation of the epidermal tissue mixture was achieved by centrifugation of the discontinuous Percoll® density gradient at 400 g at 4 ⁰C for 10 min" makes me dizzy.o_O
If this is making you dizzy stop watching the centrifuge.

LOL there's a centrifuge?

Back
Top Bottom