Trichtones First Grow | XJ-13 and PK | 600W LED

Re: Trichtones First Grow | XJ-13 and PK | 600W GLH LED

trichtone, you really need to lower those res temps !! You don't want to get root rot or many other ailments that those temps will bring !! Shoot for high 60s !! Is there anyway you could have a res outside of the cabinet,maybe in an insulated cooler and just run the water lines up through the floor in the cab ? That way you could have a larger amount of water and maybe keep things much cooler! Good job on that cab very clean set up , my garage gets way too hot in summer so I've got a tent in an extra bedroom if I have to I could just get a small room ac unit and have a nice cool room to sleep in as well !! :peace:

Thanks ol hippy! The insulated cooler is an interesting idea. I like the suggestion of running the tubes under the cabinet. I don't think i can implement something like that mid grow, but a version 2 of the DWC after wards may work.

Well, if the temps were that high, I think you've just demonstrated the resiliency of your Deep Water Culture method as they look pretty darn great to me for 8 days! :cheer: I would still recommend trying to get the temps down somehow later in the grow, but all is well so far.

EDIT: Is there a way to duct in some outside air to your grow? You would need to get another fan but you really need that anyways for the HEPA filter you have. Is the air outside cool? It really helps my grow when it gets fed a steady diet of outside air.

The outside temps get pretty warm 96 - 108F. I may be able to cut a vent to the outside, but i would need to figure out how to make is stealthy. Plus it gets warmer outside than in the garage (it is insulated). But I agree, fresh outside air is the best :)

I've always thought that it was the lack of DO available to the roots, rather than the temperatures themselves, that was the big issue. Of course, as the temperature of the reservoir rises, the amount of O2 that it can hold in the dissolved state decreases. But that can be fought (and in most cases, overcome) by installing good powerheads (or at least a mad amount of airstone/airpump equipment) so that the reservoir is in a constant state of O2 supersaturation.

That doesn't mean that the plants will actively grow in heat that makes us wilt, lol - but they should be able to live.

I have 2 air pumps going to 5 buckets and 2 air stones in each bucket. I think I am getting pretty good O2 saturation in the water. I have nothing to base that on besides i see lots of bubbles :) I also wonder how much the H2O2 is helping the O2 saturation. No matter what though I really need to get the temps down.

I live near the beach where the outside air is often in the mid 60s to 70s but the garage gets pretty hot in the summer. So, I get the benefit of the cool outside air. You can still benefit from bringing in fresh O2 and CO2 plus moving air helps the plants resist mold.

Great convos. Gonna jump in a little on some.

Res temps. TS is right that its all about the Dissolved Oxygen in the water. At 65 the plants will take up 2x (TWICE) as much nutrients as they will at 75. This can be corrected somewhat with air stones. But if your temps are high, you can still get Root Rot. The H2o2 kills this for me, but I know the next major upgrade on my list is a way to chill the reservoirs.

As far as ScrOG and LST. I think you got a good suggestion. Start with some LST, and if you decide to go to a scrog its easy. Jah knows I'm a fan of the Scrog. It really can't hurt. And as far as checking things under the plant, I find that once I start tying stuff where its supposed to be - I usually end up with easier access. Once its scrogged, however, you're right - you need to be confident of your roots.

:nicethread::peace:

Great convos. Gonna jump in a little on some.

Res temps. TS is right that its all about the Dissolved Oxygen in the water. At 65 the plants will take up 2x (TWICE) as much nutrients as they will at 75. This can be corrected somewhat with air stones. But if your temps are high, you can still get Root Rot. The H2o2 kills this for me, but I know the next major upgrade on my list is a way to chill the reservoirs.

As far as ScrOG and LST. I think you got a good suggestion. Start with some LST, and if you decide to go to a scrog its easy. Jah knows I'm a fan of the Scrog. It really can't hurt. And as far as checking things under the plant, I find that once I start tying stuff where its supposed to be - I usually end up with easier access. Once its scrogged, however, you're right - you need to be confident of your roots.

:nicethread::peace:

Thanks for stopping by Papa Green! I am hoping that I have enough air going to the buckets. So far so good. I may get a chiller after this grow. I have to wait to until after cause it will cause me to rework the cabinet.

I love your guide on setting up a ScrOG. If I go ScrOG, I will be pilfering your design. I love the simplicity and cost. In one of your pics of your current grow, it looks like you are hanging the ScrOG from the ceiling. Is the ScrOg enough weight to prevent the plants from pushing it around as they grow?

BTW: I just started LST'ing the ladies tonight. I will have pics and descriptions in a following post.

:peace:

I live near the beach where the outside air is often in the mid 60s to 70s but the garage gets pretty hot in the summer. So, I get the benefit of the cool outside air. You can still benefit from bringing in fresh O2 and CO2 plus moving air helps the plants resist mold.

Ah....living next to the beach in SoCal. You lucky bastard! I am envious for sure. :ganjamon:

It is Day 10 of Veg! I think the plants are looking well. The XJ-13 #1 is getting runter by the day and I think I know why. I noticed slightly less volume of bubbles coming from it's bucket. And sure enough, one of the air stones is defective. I replaced it and now I think it is getting the O2 it needs. We will see if she really starts putting on growth.

I am also wondering about XJ-13 #2. Based upon the pics, does it look like it is stretching a little too much? I am keeping the lights at 22". The Purple Kushes are stacking really tight, but the XJ is really starting to put on some height (PK - mostly indica and XJ - mostly sativa). Should I lower the light on the XJ's or does that seem to be on par for sativa's? I can lower the light on the XJ's independent of the PK's.

PK #1 Day 10 of Veg
PK-1-D10.jpg

PK #2 Day 10 of Veg
PK-2-D10.jpg

XJ #1 Day 10 of Veg - Notice the size difference from XJ #2 (in background)
XJ-1-D10.jpg

XJ #2 Day 10 of Veg - Is it stretching too much?
XJ-2-D10.jpg

:peace:

the plants do look good, actually great with the temps and all....i know little to nothing about hydro, so will just listen to it all and learn there....BUT...i really do love that cab you set up....so pristine, and all....good job, it is harder to grow than it looks isnt it...i've had peeps tell me, yeah its a weed, all you do is plant a seed and water once in a while, sounds good, until they try it....it is work...and it is very rewarding....good on ya, for the endurance and stamina.....yeahhhhh....lavendar:cheer::bravo:

trichtome, do you have any advise on making the closets airtight?? do you have any advice on climate controls with co2 meters???

thanks

the plants do look good, actually great with the temps and all....i know little to nothing about hydro, so will just listen to it all and learn there....BUT...i really do love that cab you set up....so pristine, and all....good job, it is harder to grow than it looks isnt it...i've had peeps tell me, yeah its a weed, all you do is plant a seed and water once in a while, sounds good, until they try it....it is work...and it is very rewarding....good on ya, for the endurance and stamina.....yeahhhhh....lavendar:cheer::bravo:

Thanks for the encouraging words! Yeah, it is way more complicated than just throwing some seeds in the ground. If you want the really high quality bud, you really have to care for these babies and give them lots of TLC. It is quite a process and fascinating at the same time. :)

trichtome, do you have any advise on making the closets airtight?? do you have any advice on climate controls with co2 meters???

thanks

To make my cab almost airtight i used weather stripping on the inside edge and on the doors. Take a look at the pic below.

weather-stripping.jpg

I also had door locks installed at the top and bottom of each door. That way I can really cinch the doors down. However, I find that my vent system provide enough negative pressure that I don't have to lock the doors all the time. The only time I now lock the doors is when I have peeps over.

Door-Lock.jpg

For the most part the cab is airtight. There is a really small gap where the doors meet up with each other. I think I can fool around with the weather stripping to get rid of that gap.

Sorry, but I can't give any advice on CO2 as I decided that was too much for my first grow. I might consider adding it in future grows. :bong:

From one of the pics, it looks like there getting a little hot(lower leaves) but they look healthy. Nice root zone. Overall, they look great, you need a chiller BAD. As far as stretching, it looks fine from here. :)

Thanks! I do want to add a chiller to keep the rez temps down. It would be so much easier than me adding the frozen jug and ice water when i feed the ladies. I am not sure that I can a chiller mid stream as I will have to make some significant cab changes to get it to work and still be stealthy. :peace:

I have jumped on to the LST bandwagon! Thanks to the great suggestion from TorturedSoul I have figured out a way to add hooks to the lid so that I can remove the lid with out having to untie the LST. I took a strip of the aluminum tape that I used to cover the buckets and used 8 cup hooks per bucket.

Tape-and-hooks.jpg

Once that was setup I started LST'ing the ladies. I really think LST is an art form that I will have to get a feel for. The Purple Kush is so stacked that it was hard to find a good spot on the steam apply the string. Pic below of my setup.

LST-PK-1.jpg

The XJ was much easier to LST (not nearly as dense). I did notice new growth on the side now facing the light. I assume that is exactly what I want to see :)

One question for you all. Now that I pulled the plants over, the leaves on the lower side are getting smushed to the top of the bucket. Should I trim those leaves? If yes, when should I trim them up?

Tichtone, it would be interesting to see how much your yield/ speed will increase if you add CO2.

Damn, cab is looking good brother, I need to LST next grow I am feeling left out! :cool:

SG

Thanks man! I think LST is one of those things I am going to learn as I go. I still need to do more reading on LST techniques. Doing the first tie down seems pretty straight forward. Find a spot and tie her down. After that it gets a little fuzzy. How long to wait before doing the next tie down? Is there a point where you are doing too much or too little tieing down? Stuff like that. :grinjoint:

There are a ton of grows currently using LST on the boards, since I do not know a whole lot about LST the best advice I could give is just surf the boards prob find answers you are looking for :cool:

SG

Back
Top Bottom