Two 550 Watt LEDs on a Light Mover in a Tent

Awesome vid. really helps to see topping in a video and not just read about it thanks leonardo. I like the idea of a shelf veg. system I plan to put one up in my stealth closet soon with two separate levels but I would need two more lights if I wanted anything better than the T5 I bought for cloning & seedlings.
I like your setup with the multiple thermometers & fans all over, the picture idea is great too I plan on doing the same thing with my camera now and Im thinking I need a dehumidifier for the water if nothing else. This journal has got my juices going on setting up some new stuff, man thanks alot :reading420magazine:

Looking really good! :thumb:

It looks like the res water should be fine. I tend to error on the side of caution when it comes to stuff like that, ya never know. The ppm's are low so there's not much in it and the ph is fine so a test of a few will be a safe way of finding out.

I think you're right that you should flower them asap.

Getting water to the plant sometimes gets overlooked, when they get full grown it will be challenging to get in there and back out without hurting any of the ladies.

Great job meng. :peacetwo:

:popcorn:

Ok yeah, it sounds like there's a consensus that I should be flowering right now, and I couldn't agree more. I may try to flip them today or tomorrow, but I have a quick question about flipping to flower. I've heard you should give them 24-36 hours of darkness when you do, is that really necessary and does it really make a difference? I was thinking about going in there and turning the lights off today at about noon and then have them come on tomorrow morning at 8am-8pm in flower mode, giving them about 18-19 hours of darkness for the switchover. Or would I be ok to just go from 20 hours of light to 12 overnight? Any thoughts?

I was going to water today, but since I'm going to flip them immediately I'm going to wait a day or two and feed them a full feeding of nutes for week 1 of flower on the Humbodt feeding chart. I had been going a week between waterings with no problem at all, I think now I will cut it down to 4 or 5 days and see what happens. This confuses me when it comes to deciding on measurements and which week to use from the feeding chart, since I wont be watering every day. So if you have any insight on watering with these SmartPots under LEDs, please let me know.

great grow love the vids,leonardo where in nor cal are you
I'm in the bay area, that's about as specific as I'll get, but I root for the Denver Broncos!

4x 90w ufo...660mn 470nm
Yoyoamy, from the research that I've done on LEDs, it seems that what really matters to flowering is the wattage on the LED nodes or chips, in addition to being in the right spectrum of course. The ones that report the best flowering seem to be 2watt or 3watt chips, which is what's in these. I don't know what are in your UFOs, can you get a link to the same product by chance? Do you know how old they are or where you bought them?

i have 4 led ufo in one 4x4x6ft box...but the bud is toooooo small.....!!!

From hours and hours of research looking into reviews of UFO lights
they don't seem to perform well on their own, many people say
LEDs suck for flowering because of UFO (especially if they bought the Chinese ebay ones).

I'm no expert but I'd say if you want to make full use of those UFO's
you might want to add some T5's or CFL's or you could add a 250 watt
MH/HPS lamp to help.

Also doesn't hurt to make sure you have nutrients that help increase
your bud size...I've seen some rediculous yields from people who use
Advanced Nutrients Conasseur A and B.

Bad Karma, that's a brilliant idea! I'll mix a gallon of dehumidified water separately and use them on 4 plants for a couple waterings and see how they do. If it does harm them, it will only give me an excuse to get rid of them and make more room in the tent!

Turttle, yeah I've got them on veg mode now and they're pretty bright, but nothing compared to flower mode, which we'll be getting to very soon. And I hope Hydroponics Hut agrees with you! If I can make a captivating time-laps video showing two of their premier products on a light mover over 40 plants, and it matches what HPS would do and the buds look good, I bet that video will sell a ton of units if they put it up on their website. I've spent many years in sales and marketing, and I know it will be the most powerful sales tool at their disposal, by far! Just as I'm sure IrishBoy's journals and video have sold lights for GLH. Almost everyone I know and everyone at the dispensary tried to talk me out of going with LEDs and now they're watching to see how it goes very closely because they want lower power bills and less heat too. But the first generation of LED technology was a total flop when it came to flowering, so everyone's naturally skeptical of claims, a groovy time-laps video like this could silence the critics and give a lot of people the confidence to take the leap and switch over to LEDs. And HH should benefit greatly if these lights deliver, and I deliver with a great grow and good videos to document it.

I'm hoping you do have a very successful grow under these lights,
I've been wanting to purchase lights from hydroponicshut but another
grower on here had problems with his grow and his troubles kind of
made me sketchy about the company. The main feature that drew
me to these lights in specific is the switch, veg mode to flower mode
that is something I haven't seen on any other lights except the
'Supernova' and its a pretty impressive feature it seems. :thumb:

Welcome FiveSixDeuce, this is one of the main reasons I decided to do the journal; to provide the community with some much needed documentation and/or proof of LED technology, and in exchange for some great advice of course!

Hey leo hows it going? I wanted to chime in and give you a big thumbs up for making this awesome thread man. I am really diggin the videos too. I love how youre using your lights and the entire set up for that matter. Nice work man you put some serious time into this and I applaud you. I actually dont know if I agree that you would have to switch to flower right away though. I mean those are 3 gallon pots right? I think you would be safe letting them go another week or 2 even if you wanted. I mean if you are seriously worried about stretch what you do is continue to use the veg part of the lights for the first 2 weeks of 12/12 flower and then switch over to the bloom lights the rest of the way through. Trust me it will help keep them shorter and give you much denser colas. I dont know though that is just my thoughts. I love the SOG you got goin even though its not perpetual it doesnt really matter youll get an enormous harvest all at once and it will be grand.

About those lights though can I ask if the bloom mode only uses a single wavelength LED? Is it just like a bunch of 660nm 2W LEDs or something? This is just me, but I dont know if that is a diverse enough blend of light to really give the plants what they need. I am not trying to put the product or company down by saying this, I am just trying to give you some food for thought. Maybe I am just not seeing the other colors in the bloom mode? Otherwise if all it has is a single wavelength I would seriously suggest you throw a T-5 in between the two LEDs to get the full spectrum lighting your plants need.

Or at least that is how I am seeing it, but your plants look to be doing great so I dont think you should listen to me. Also if this is some kind of paid marketing test your doing for HH then I guess youre nt really allowed to throw in the T-5 eh?

Either way great work my man and congrats for jumpin on the grow your own bandwagon.

flo

Flowitheworld, thanks for chiming in, you're advice and commentary is very welcome! When I have a chance I'll read through your journals and learn what I can. I'm not too stressed about flipping them, but I'd like to get it done in the next day or two, probably today. Just trying to decide on how much darkness I should give them for the flip, 12, 18, 24, 36 hours? Any thoughts?

And just to clear things up, I am definitely not working for or representing HH in any way, shape or form. I'm just a customer and wanted to publish the journal for the reasons I've laid out. But so far, I've been very pleased with their service, it's just too soon to know how the lights will preform though. If they do as well as advertised, I'll probably get more and may ask them for freebees and/or discounts for the work I'm putting into the journal and time-laps video. But right now I'm looking for an LED light that will work with vertical and/or rotary systems. I've heard HH is working on one for the future, but I haven't been able to find one out there by any other company when I search, one that has 2 or 3 watt chips anyway. If anyone out there knows of an LED light that works for vertical and rotary systems, PLEASE let me know.

I dont think the spectrum on these Pro-Gro 550s is as diverse as GLH and others, but the price was right and I could see that their smaller models do flower in other journals. Their website says they're 7 band; Red Spectra 660 $ 630nm, Cree HO Spectra 101 & 111 + 3500k, Infra-Red 730nm, Ultra Violet 380nm. I'm not positive which ones are 2 or 3 watt either. I thought about adding another light or t5, but I can't afford one right now, and it will be interesting to see how these do on their own anyway.

Thanks again, and I like your signature, so convincing!

Ok, I've got a quick update. I've also got a few questions in the video...

- Can you recycle dehumidified water from the AC/dehumidifier and use it for your watering solution?

- How's the CO2 set up looking? Flow meter is just below "2" on the setting (the lowest setting on the flow meter), and I think I want to get .35 CSF, which confuses me because there's nothing near that low on the flow meter.

- How many plants should I keep in the tent to flower? I'm having a hard time deciding what would be the best number and still be able to get in there to water and occasionally prune without hurting any plants.

If you have any advice, it would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

YouTube - LED Grow Journal 10/19/2010

I watched a video by a dude named 'Urbangrower' on youtube and he
is in a grow room that has a dehumidifier/airconditioner that is rigged
to recycle the condesation and use it with nutrients.

Might wanna watch the vid if you havent seen it before, it could have
clues as to how recyling the water works.

Hope this helps (and I appologize if anyone already answered this question
as I am too lazy to breeze through everybody elses replys).

FiveSixDeuce, very nice, I appreciate the video! I'm feeling more and more confident about recycling the water, I'll still probably test it for a week on a few girls just to be sure.

Ok, so I've decided to turn them over to 12/12 tomorrow night. I'm giving them a few hours of full flower and veg mode on the lights today, and tomorrow when I go in there I will turn them both on for good when I change the timers on everything. I probably should have topped and LST'd those plants a week or two ago and given them time to recover and thrive before the flip, but that's the way it's gonna be. If they look weak or fall behind, I'll take them out of the tent first if it starts getting too crowded. I'm also looking for a good home for the two headbands, it might be nice to get rid of a whole row and give the girls a little extra space to fill out and I also found out that the HB is a 12 week flower, whereas the kushes should be about 8-9 I think.

24-36hr darkness before flowering is said to re-set the clocks and make them flower sooner its also said that it will make them stretch less. Ive heard this from a very trusted grower on her Named The Butcher. IDK if it really works 100% for sure because i have not done this, but i trust him 100% because he really knows his shit. I am going to do it on my current grow i think?

if you topped or LST the girls you would have to toss some for sure, because they would bush out allot more and take up too much space from the other plants. You can see in my grows since i always LST how wide they get. example.
HINDU_SKUNK_2_006_600x534.jpg

THIS IS ONLY 4 PLANTS LST'ed

day_49_of_flower_013_600x449.jpg
day_1_of_flower_004_600x4491.jpg

Now Imagen with all of ur girls?lol If you want ill delete these pics, i just wanted to show you an example of what i mean

Very nice IrishBoy! How long do you veg those? Do you think they need time before going into flowering after topping or LST?

i think i vegged those for 3 weeks? just i think they need time before flowering if you toped them. not so much with LST'ing because its not as stressful as toping. but i would still give them like around 2 days just to get the branches started growing up to become a top. I am not a big fan of toping, ive done it before, but i choose to LST thats my style. But the way i LST is very simple, i just bend the girls over one time and that is what happens in those pics. I dont sit their and tie down a ton of branches, just the main stalk/top. also dont just yank the girls down do it a little more and more every other day. its also a good idea to have a anchor at the base of the main stalk pulling the opposite way that your bending so you dont pull up ur roots when bending her. sometimes its better to LST after watering her so she is more softer and u dont snap the stem if its too woody

IrishBoy, that's great advice! And the timing sounds good for tomorrow then too, I'll try to remember to take a close up of those topped ones in the next video. The video on the iphone doesnt do very good close ups, I'll try pics and see how those turn out too. The reason I topped them and LST the another was to try it out and see what would happen, I know I have a few plants to spare and since this is my first run I thought I would try a few things out where I could. I'll have to top the new moms in the veg room eventually too. Cheers!

IrishBoy, that's great advice! And the timing sounds good for tomorrow then too, I'll try to remember to take a close up of those topped ones in the next video. The video on the iphone doesnt do very good close ups, I'll try pics and see how those turn out too. The reason I topped them and LST the another was to try it out and see what would happen, I know I have a few plants to spare and since this is my first run I thought I would try a few things out where I could. I'll have to top the new moms in the veg room eventually too. Cheers!

theirs only one way to find out for sure and thats trying things! smart move:thumb: every grower is different and theirs different strokes for different folks, you have to find what works best for you and ur growing style. always try something different on a few plants to learn different ways that will suite ur needs. this is how we all learn:goodjob:

Just trying to decide on how much darkness I should give them for the flip, 12, 18, 24, 36 hours? Any thoughts?

I recommend a 36 hour blackout before flipping to 12/12 mode.
It has worked very well for me on my current LED grow, I can vouch for its effectiveness.
As always, good luck.

FWIW - I don't have "legendary" grower status, heck, I'm only on my 2nd grow, but that is kind of my point. I pulled 5 ounces from 3 plants and made every mistake in the book. The lights from Hydroponics Hut just plain worked and were quite affordable when doing a watt to dollar comparison. The warranty on the Pro-Grow series is tops also.

Welcome endive, and nice grow you have going, I'll be watching! 5oz out of 3 plants sounds pretty damn good, I'd love to average 1.6oz/plant, I'll be shooting for 1 though!

Back
Top Bottom