VAT in the US?

Dwight Monk

420 Support
420 Staff
Saw some seeds I was interested in, ended up finding that the Breeder had a website and I could buy direct, but when checking out there was a 10% VAT tax added to the total. Has anyone ever come across this on Internet sales in the US? I'm in a State that doesn't have a Sales Tax for that matter, so that makes no sense to me as I have never seen that before on online sales on anything else I have bought online. Oh well I have plenty of seeds anyway and I can get that breeder thru a Distributor that doesn't charge that, but at this point it becoming a matter of principle and not sure I would buy anything by them as plenty of breeders out there.

Did u contact them Dwight

Seedsman has that but dosent apply to USA customers

Yes they said they was following State law and they have to tax every transaction, but I never heard of it in the US especially from somewhere in the US. Especially confusing as it was called a VAT, and a Sales Tax would only apply to places you have a business in and shipping to the same State (or last I have seen anyway and there is no State Sales tax in OR period). Was just wondering if I missed a change in Federal Law or if it just a bunch of baloney.

Hmmmmm I believe the internet laws are taxed on where it ships to, and if the company has a store/location their, like Amazon does

They are probably just worried and trying to cover their ass

Tax hell...is just that...tax hell....lol

Hmmmmm I believe the internet laws are taxed on where it ships to, and if the company has a store/location their, like Amazon does

They are probably just worried and trying to cover their ass

Tax hell...is just that...tax hell....lol

Yes that was my understanding, and as I'm in OR and there is no State tax I was like "huh?" ;) , as even if they had a Store here or are located here still no taxes either way :rofl:

Sounds about right. Since the Amazon thing got so big. Now companies have to follow lots of different tax laws. Just because there is not a tax where you live there might be one where they live.

Death And Taxes, Your old enough to know that Dwight LMAO.

I figure your VAT tax is being applied because of where the item is being sold or shipped from.

I wasn't aware of a VAT tax in the US at all, or are they just using another word for "Sales Tax"? Last I heard anyway Internet Sales in US only go by the State you live in and if they have a presence in that State, which OR has no Sales Tax as of yet (they been trying for decades and folks vote against it ever time).

There is no VAT in the US. Business collects sales tax (if applicable) on customers within its own state, or if it has a presence in your state and your state has a sales tax. If a business does collect sales tax from an out-of-state purchaser, they must collect it at the customer's state's taxation rate - and then send it to the customer's state.

Since you have no sales tax, of course, the business owner would just stick it in his or her pocket - which is called theft by tax fraud. You're getting ripped off. Call them and tell them you need the owner's full contact information for your lawyer.

Back
Top Bottom