Vex's 1st Auto Flower Adventure Under New LED Lights Sponsored By WEEGrow

Hahaha.

I do agree the light intensity was too high for this stage. Learned my lesson..

RIP GB..

Quick update and some shots.

I have since decreased the brightness to 40% using the the remote control which is now coded to both lights and raised them to 32". :)

Seems the Auto Blue Diesel is going to survive since decreasing the brightness on the WG-1000. Both lights are on, and set to 20/4 for now via the remote and built in timer. Sweet feature if you ask me.

20210321_235952.jpg

I decided to pop a Fem Sour Tangie (photoperiod) to grow along side the BD. The plan is to flip the Sour Tangie to flower once I harvest the Auto. Let's see. :)

20210317_233555.jpg

I dropped the fem ST seed in ph'd water after rolling it in a little bit of Great White Shark powder.

20210317_233634.jpg

After a day and a half I checked to see if it sank to the bottom, but with my surprise, it was still floating with tap root already long enough to plant right away. No need for papertowel/ziplock bag step. :)

I placed it directly in the 1 gallon fabric bag and added some Hydroton on the top layer until it grows tall enough to add more clay pebbles.

20210321_194106.jpg

I finally setup both HydroWick reservoirs and am very happy how they turned out. The 3D builder design definitely helped a lot.

This setup will allow easy filling and draining as well as allowing me use/compare different nutrients and strengths in each reservoir. I aimed to never truly need to lift the lids until after harvesting to clean/prep for next run.

I was ok with losing 5.5 inches of canopy height in order to drain/fill with ease, as well as no need for a water pump.

20210321_220830.jpg

20210321_215959.jpg

20210321_215634.jpg

20210321_195210.jpg

20210321_195159.jpg

I drained the right side reservoir due to a tiny leak. I'll fix it tomorrow once it dries, but all in all, I'm content with the end result thus far.

20210321_221327.jpg

Looking good in there Vex :thumb: hope you don't mind if I drop by once in a while :popcorn: just got asked if I would journal a couple of @OfficialWEEGrow lights...figured I might learn something that might save me some time and anguish :cheesygrinsmiley:
Nice journal so far though, I need to work on making mine more specific...I seem to always get off topic :lot-o-toke::rofl:

i hope i don't have to explain the meaning of double bagger lol :p
Oh geez, 🤦 no you do not need to explain lol. My intention with that post was to identify the popcorn bags as needed to be doubled.

Nice update, Vex. Looking forward to them taking off now!!

Hi VexGrows, I'm on board for the ride. I'm very interested in the grow media. I've never seen a hybrid of Coco and DWC. Would you please explain a little bit about how the system works?

Cheers :thumb:

Thank you PaleSun, and welcome!

I'm newer to growing than most 420 members, and have only grown in Hydro/DWC. I've always been interested in trying my hand at Coco to help simplify/reduce to amount of equipment needed in my small space perpetual setup.

I searched "On the Line" for ways to incorporate both and found a few options. Some a bit more affordable than others but all seemed to offer the same function/results. So, I decided to build my own to suit my space and needs.

By using 2" and 4" PVC pipes I'm able to add the medium as desired. My thought process was to promote downward root growth by layering the coco to create a "well" via the coco directly to reservoir/nutrient solution.

The fabric bags will allow oxygen to penetrate as well as air prune the roots forcing them downward in search of water.
1616444185466.png

I'm hoping by sprinkling some Great White Shark in the middle at varies levels that the mycorrhizae will help create a nice network of roots or "wick" for the plants to drink up with ease.

1616446051985.png

20210322_173628.jpg

The plants will then just drink straight from reservoir once the roots reach the solution. :)

I had success with clones in my first attempt at a DIY "HydroWick" reservoir for teens/etc.

20210322_174151.jpg

20210322_174215.jpg

Fingers crossed.

My reply got rolled up in the quote ☝️

Glad to have you hanging around, Furcifer! :)

Congrats on your sponsor. Your setup looks outstanding. Wish you the best take care
:passitleft:

Thank you CO Finest, and Welcome!

I'm excited to see what these lights can help produce.

great start. your space looks nicely plumbed in. :)

the lights look great.

Thank you, Bluter. So far so good, well after killing the GlueBerry that is. :)

Thank you, Ljb1 and Welcome!

:popcorn: (might be a double bagger) :popcorn:

LOL! YESSIR! Stay tuned in. :)

just rolled in on that last post and carefully backing away ...

hahaha

I know what its like to get a new toy, and ride it to the extreme.....than comes the oops, my bad!

So right! I thought I had them enough, but should have known 100% brightness at this stage was not smart.

Looking good in there Vex :thumb: hope you don't mind if I drop by once in a while :popcorn: just got asked if I would journal a couple of @OfficialWEEGrow lights...figured I might learn something that might save me some time and anguish :cheesygrinsmiley:
Nice journal so far though, I need to work on making mine more specific...I seem to always get off topic :lot-o-toke::rofl:
Thank you so much MochaBud, and Welcome!

Not at all, please grab a seat. :)

If you have the time and space I say go for it. I'm happy with the WG-1000's so far. The remote control, built in dimmer and timer are all great (and working) features.

Considering the quality, features, and lower price on the WEEGrow website, these lights are great for smaller spaces thus far. Although you could daisy chain an unlimited number of WEEGrow lights and control with a single remote. :)

Lets see how much they can help produce. :)

Hey Vex! Count me in! And congratulations on your sponsorship!

Hey Rexer! Thank you!!

Pull up a chair, bud. I finally finished the new system. :)

1616450405622.png

20210321_220830.jpg

Hahaha.

I do agree the light intensity was too high for this stage. Learned my lesson..

RIP GB..

Quick update and some shots.

I have since decreased the brightness to 40% using the the remote control which is now coded to both lights and raised them to 32". :)

Seems the Auto Blue Diesel is going to survive since decreasing the brightness.

:yahoo:
I dropped the fem ST seed in ph'd water after rolling it in a little bit of Great White Shark powder.

20210317_233634.jpg

After a day and a half I checked to see if it sank to the bottom, but with my surprise, it was still floating with tap root already long enough to plant right away. No need for papertowel/ziplock bag step. :)

I think you have to remove the life jacket. Before you chuck her into the ocean. :rofl:

Hello @VexGrows Can you explain how your system works? I see lava stones with grow mix below in fabric pots, on top of a hydroponic reservoir. This is the first I've seen this configuration.

Hello @VexGrows Can you explain how your system works? I see lava stones with grow mix below in fabric pots, on top of a hydroponic reservoir. This is the first I've seen this configuration.

I posted it above with photos when qouting your first post. :)

Essentially the plants will grow downward in the coco in search of water, reaching the reservoir.

This allows me to run a simpler system without the need for air pumps/airstones or water pumps (aka added power draw and heat) as I did with DWC.

This autofeed "HydroWick" system will benefit from the best of both methods. All I'll need to do is watch the water level meters I installed and drain/refill with new solution as needed.

I hope this makes sense, let me know if I can help. :)

Awesome build and great design! Wicking does seem like the ultimate low fuss system. Its been in the back of my head ever since I seen that pic in the george c bible ages ago, your build is much nicer than that one though. Now that my system seems like a full time job, this looks so much more appealing. I figure your still working it out but what kind of adjustments to your feed are you having to make?

Awesome build and great design! Wicking does seem like the ultimate low fuss system. Its been in the back of my head ever since I seen that pic in the george c bible ages ago, your build is much nicer than that one though. Now that my system seems like a full time job, this looks so much more appealing. I figure your still working it out but what kind of adjustments to your feed are you having to make?
Thank you, Marshall and welcome!!

Yes, this system will be less fussy (I hope) and seems to be great so far for my needs/smaller space.

So far for these seedlings I only watered once from the top, and added 2 gallons of ph'd water (no nutes at this stage) to reservoir in order to force the roots to search downward when thirsty. At that point, the DWC aspect kicks in and the plants should explode in growth.

I'll then drain and refill with light nutrient solution once they have at least 3 nodes. Then it's just monitoring the plants and tweaking the nute strength as needed.

I tested my very first DIY "HydroWick" reservoir with clones/teens and they were growing well. I was forced to shut it down due to Spider Mites. It ruined my whole vibe attempting to battle the pests, but ultimately decided to stop and start fresh...with these new WG-1000 lights. Very happy with them thus far.

20201228_103828.jpg

20201220_130016.jpg

Right now I have both lights dimmed to 20% at 30", on a 20/4 schedule all done with ease via the remote control. :)

20210321_195159 (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom