Volksball's Second Waltz With The White Widow, 2019

I had a hard time taking off the lowers in the beginning, but after finding it a pain in the ass to have to trim all the skinny branches with popcorn buds, I am now #nolarf!

If you want the middle to fill in the best thing you can do is keep the mains lower than where they come out of the trunk (slowly so as not to break anything!). That sends the growth hormones to the middle.

I had a hard time taking off the lowers in the beginning, but after finding it a pain in the ass to have to trim all the skinny branches with popcorn buds, I am now #nolarf!

If you want the middle to fill in the best thing you can do is keep the mains lower than where they come out of the trunk (slowly so as not to break anything!). That sends the growth hormones to the middle.
Yep, got them training outward with loop pegs as well. I figure a couple weeks on this track then flip, no scrog. Should have good outward growth with hopefully not too much vertical growth.

Guessing I should be slowly dropping RH now? Low 50s? Heat down too? 75%

They look damn happy to me so I don't think I would touch a thing until you see pistils come in. Then you can start to drop it to the 50% range.
Ha. Thanks. They're in the high 50s RH now and about 82f. Good airflow is doing em well with that, I think. When you say pistils, you mean after flip?

Sorry I thought you were at 75% from your post. Yes, pistils after the flip. If you can get the tent into the mid 40% range by the end, that would be "best." If not the 50s is fine.
Ha. Oops. I meant 75f.

Yeah, I can get it far down if I need to. That fan pulls pretty hard, so I shy away from using it now because it strips the tent of humidity and heat. On the lowest setting, the tent levels at 50% with the humidifier cranked and the temps to about 65f in the dark. Seems to low for both right now. Will need it later.

Morning folks..

After a topping and a good LSTing, the girls (and tent) are filling in quite nicely. Will give them about 10 more days then....showtime!

Have a look..

Day 50
V

Attachments

• 20191208_101848.jpg
    20191208_101848.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
10 more days and I'm sure you will have to move your speakers heaters! :thumb:
Ha. The speaker-heaters will have to go. Probably soonI'm getting the itch to flip them, but wondering a bit about how much they'll stretch. They're growing pretty quick now. Got them to 5g of MC. Whaddya think? Clean up the lower stems of each plant then flip after a few recovery days?

Have a peek..

And you'll see in the pic that had two plants in it, they look quite different. I'm wondering if I actually have 5 WW, or 3 and two others.

Attachments

• 20191211_210849.jpg
    20191211_210849.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 20191211_210317.jpg
    20191211_210317.jpg
    978 KB · Views: 18
  • 20191211_210359.jpg
    20191211_210359.jpg
    962.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20191211_210522.jpg
    20191211_210522.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 20191211_210554.jpg
    20191211_210554.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 20191211_210637.jpg
    20191211_210637.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • 20191211_210723.jpg
    20191211_210723.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 20191211_210441.jpg
    20191211_210441.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Dunno how much they're going to stretch but if you're itching to flip, they should fill the tent as is! Why not thin them, give them the 10 days, and flip according to plan? I'd get the two shorties on risers to flatten the canopy if they were mine.
Great call. I'll do that to get em high. Yeah, may as well go with plan, so that'll be another week. Gotta get me a backup bulb before I do anyway.

Would you defol now? Clear the lower stems?

Sounds like a good plan. 10 days to force all the new growth to the top, and then hit 'em with the 12/12!
Yep.. hope it works to plan! How far up the stems to do trim bare? And all at once? Or trim and defol in stages?

I like to take everything that looks weak and buried at this point, all at once, then give the plant a chance to replace all those leaves up higher where the buds belong. I do a more serious defol after stretch, as a member of the #nolarf brigade :).

How far up depends on the plant and how it flowers. An indica I would trim higher, a sativa I would leave more below. With no experience with a strain I would be more conservative for sure, but still make the plant go "oh shit...I need to replace my fans and lower growth!"

I like to take everything that looks weak and buried at this point, all at once, then give the plant a chance to replace all those leaves up higher where the buds belong. I do a more serious defol after stretch, as a member of the #nolarf brigade :).

How far up depends on the plant and how it flowers. An indica I would trim higher, a sativa I would leave more below. With no experience with a strain I would be more conservative for sure, but still make the plant go "oh shit...I need to replace my fans and lower growth!"
Ah gotcha. Alright. Tomorrow I'll take off the lower, futile branches and covered fans. Get some more airflow down there too. See if I can bare a few inches up each branch, anyway. Thx Shed.

I think the idea of a pre-flip thin is to move all new growth topside, and the goal of a post-stretch thin it to force all bud production to the ends of the branches #nolarf. I doubt I'll be able to do that with a straight sativa like my new Golden Tiger seeds, but time will tell how I handle that :).
Yeah, the WW are 60%ish Indica. They should handle a bit of pre flip cleaning. I'm trying to avoid what I think you call 'larf'. Those small branches with pale bud. Good for butter, tho! But yeah, if I can avoid it and send growth to the tops, why not??

Big fan of the no larf. Just a pain in the ass to trim anyway.
I think after my first grow, I also became of that group. Would you trim the big fans at the bottom along with the weak branches? First time doing such a trim, so wanna make sure I get it right.

Thx

Back
Top Bottom