Vortex's Lab: 4x4 Secondary Garden & Experimental Thread

Tent #3 has arrived. I may have to sneak down off and on to start preps for it going up. Got a couple things to move around first, but shouldn't be terrible.

I shouldn't, but you know how it is with new toys. :laugh:

We'll see how much I can get done on regular 15 minute breaks. (Although lunch is coming up, so maybe a 30 min in there too.)

Plants are looking on point you've done a great job creating a nice even canopy should get a good haul from those ladies.

Congrats on the new tent I've been hard at work in the garage over the last couple of days to get my new tent set up. Hoping to pull it together later on today.

Plants are looking on point you've done a great job creating a nice even canopy should get a good haul from those ladies.

Congrats on the new tent I've been hard at work in the garage over the last couple of days to get my new tent set up. Hoping to pull it together later on today.

Thank you!

It's been interesting, and the canopy is actually at 2 levels with all the different strains. However, I tried to pair them up so that I could have taller in the back, shorter in the front. Combined with having 2 lights instead of 1 big one, it's working well so far. :D

Lemmy in the middle is the exception. She's in a 3gal, while the rest are in a 7gal. I did have her on a little platform, but as she's grown she's was between the front and back in height, and now that she is stretching, she's catching up to the back plants. Hopefully she doesn't pass them up. :laugh:

I can't wait to see your new setup going on! I know you've put in a lot of time, effort, and money on it. :D

It'll be great when you're running it all!

Tent #3 has arrived. I may have to sneak down off and on to start preps for it going up. Got a couple things to move around first, but shouldn't be terrible.

I shouldn't, but you know how it is with new toys. :laugh:

We'll see how much I can get done on regular 15 minute breaks. (Although lunch is coming up, so maybe a 30 min in there too.)
Sounds like you may work from home. Same here. It's great to have the flexibility when growing.

Sounds like you may work from home. Same here. It's great to have the flexibility when growing.

I can neither confirm nor deny such things. :D :D :D

But yeah, it's nice from time to time.

Thank you!

It's been interesting, and the canopy is actually at 2 levels with all the different strains. However, I tried to pair them up so that I could have taller in the back, shorter in the front. Combined with having 2 lights instead of 1 big one, it's working well so far. :D

Lemmy in the middle is the exception. She's in a 3gal, while the rest are in a 7gal. I did have her on a little platform, but as she's grown she's was between the front and back in height, and now that she is stretching, she's catching up to the back plants. Hopefully she doesn't pass them up. :laugh:

I can't wait to see your new setup going on! I know you've put in a lot of time, effort, and money on it. :D

It'll be great when you're running it all!
Thanks Multi looking forward to getting it up and running. Gonna drop some seeds this week for the Canadian Comparative grow.

Nice choice of seeds and good call ordering from attitude. I tried to order from them a year ago and after multiple attempts they just wouldn't take my money so I gave up and moved on.

Ugh... stupid enter button. :laugh:

Thanks Multi looking forward to getting it up and running. Gonna drop some seeds this week for the Canadian Comparative grow.

Can't wait to see how it all compares!

Nice choice of seeds and good call ordering from attitude. I tried to order from them a year ago and after multiple attempts they just wouldn't take my money so I gave up and moved on.

Thanks! The only real repeat is on the DP, but this is an auto and I wanted to see how it compares to their photo version that is running in my RDWC setup.

Night Queen has been on the top of my Nighttime Knock Out list for a long while, but every time I've ordered seeds it seems to either be out of stock, or in such a big pack I didn't want to splurge.

The Orange Bud will be interesting. They say it can't be distinguished from it's photo version sister. We'll see. I love orange and lemony stuff when it grows. :D

My "plan" was to not order from outside the borders again. However I couldn't get the strains I wanted, or close for that matter, from something closer to home. That being the case I could either run repeats, same but different FastBuds stuff, some weird breeder(s) I'd never heard of, or give it another shot from elsewhere.

I looked over Seedsman and they had some, but not all. Then hit attitude and they had what I wanted, and more. I really planned on running Blackberry Kush this round, but when I found that Night Queen, it took precedence.

Blackberry will be in the run after though, provided I can find the seeds since it tends to go in/out of stock too. That's why it wasn't in the first Lab run, and Six Shooter took its place.

Well, shit. Or as Cartman would say, "fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck."

The lights I planned on using in the new tent for the bi-level side? Ain't happening. I thought they were 3ft lights, but they're 4ft lights. First time in my life to be too long. :rolleyes:

So now... finding two lights that each fit a 1x3 space for seedlings/clones/vegging moms.

Off to do some looking up it seems. :rolleyes:

On another note, I have the space for the tent about 80% cleared. It isn't much to move around, but I got distracted looking at the light strips. Will have to work on it more tomorrow.

Oh, and the freebies for that order?

seed-freebies.png

The bottom ones are also Fem. :D

Well today didn't go near to plan. I was lucky to get the watering, feed bumping, and other basic stuff completed.

So no 3rd tent setup, for one. No potting up the GDP runt, for another. As much as I don't like it, she will have to wait until Friday, provided nobody gets in my way that afternoon/evening.

But for now, we'll all just have to slum it with the girls...

A9A83BD5-CB19-4CD0-9987-8F3EC524BCCB.jpeg

On the level as much as I can get in the shot, shot. The center and back two are pretty close in height. Center is still stretching... and that would be Lemmy. She may get a bit on her in the next week.

CD9FFADF-7039-46AA-BF55-8A1F880C523C.jpeg

Six. She's stacking em on, so we'll see how she does.

5D39A621-6F58-4157-B0B3-A2E8A93F9BF4.jpeg

The Crack Baby.

52F66728-3D52-40D1-9B9A-7F9C7DFF75BF.jpeg

There's Lemmy. I'm thinking instead of Lemon Drop, they should have called it Lemon Hedge instead.

(I just came up with that, and now just went and looked, but didn't find a strain named that. So DIBS. :laugh:)

She's stretching, no doubt about that. If she was in a 7gal pot? We'd be in deep shit.

5DF816DF-CE7A-4448-A37E-4C949AA613AD.jpeg

The Chica is puttin on the flowers good now. Building them up and out.

F2FAEA60-EE96-4AD3-B16F-4E235C877531.jpeg

Blue is back there, if Lemmy would move her ass over and quit hogging the camera. (Now you see why I went around to the side last time. :D)

This weekend I'll be running a little preventative defol to open up any sites not getting light, as well as to improve air circulation. Supposed to get 3in of rain Friday, with 4in-6in of snow Saturday into Saturday night, so I'm expecting to be in for a bit of a battle with a bit of elevated humidity in the Lab. Even with the dehumidifier in the main room.

Right now temps are running 76, with a RH of 48%. That's pushing the VPD a hair into overdrive, but it should be alright. I'd like it a hair higher, but I'm sure it will be puffing up a bit more shortly.

Overall I think the homework in strain pairing, combined with training, is showing through. Lemmy aside, Chica and Blue are very close in height, as are Six and the Crack Baby. So I'm pleased with that aspect overall.

Rando bud...

F0669850-5680-4F54-B2EA-549FDDF1944A.jpeg

650817CA-258E-42A5-AD4F-A114882DFB19.jpeg

DC39887C-777B-4893-9F08-8B0B50DB22BE.jpeg

Hit BG Hydro up for their floraflex sale. Looks like for a bucket top I needed the 10.5"-12" size. Ended up with twice as many as I need, but for $30 I'm ok with that compared to other places. Also got the drip rings that go with them too.

I did not get the drip pads that go under the trays. I figured I wouldn't need them on top of a dutch/bato/hempy/whatever the kool kids are calling them these data bucket. If I run them in promix, coco, etc then I'll pick some up.

They should be here early next week. In the interim, I'm going to just run two hoses to the single bucket deal for the runt GDP. Hopefully she tolerates the transition from a kick ass full spectrum light to a "meh, it's a backup" blurple. Is what it is though, and for one plant should be just fine.

Once I get her moved and settled (expecting to tomorrow afternoon), the following day I'll get her topped and started into a quadline. I won't give her a whole lot of time before I flip her. Just enough to get to the edge of the bucket, maybe just a hair past. At least my 2x2 porta-scrog will fit this bucket, although I'll have to adjust the height a tick.

This evening/weekend task list (cross-post from my RDWC journal):

- build a 1ft tall riser for backup tent
- setup backup/seedling/clone tent
- setup recirc for the dutch bucket
- pot up the runt GDP into her 3.5gal bucket home
- setup ventilation for backup tent to piggyback off Lab
- top RDWC girls to start quadline
- take clones from the tops and start for rooting (cloner, promix, of FFoF, dunno yet.)
- whatever else I'm forgetting, and I'm sure I am

Hit BG Hydro up for their floraflex sale. Looks like for a bucket top I needed the 10.5"-12" size. Ended up with twice as many as I need, but for $30 I'm ok with that compared to other places. Also got the drip rings that go with them too.

I did not get the drip pads that go under the trays. I figured I wouldn't need them on top of a dutch/bato/hempy/whatever the kool kids are calling them these data bucket. If I run them in promix, coco, etc then I'll pick some up.

They should be here early next week. In the interim, I'm going to just run two hoses to the single bucket deal for the runt GDP. Hopefully she tolerates the transition from a kick ass full spectrum light to a "meh, it's a backup" blurple. Is what it is though, and for one plant should be just fine.

Once I get her moved and settled (expecting to tomorrow afternoon), the following day I'll get her topped and started into a quadline. I won't give her a whole lot of time before I flip her. Just enough to get to the edge of the bucket, maybe just a hair past. At least my 2x2 porta-scrog will fit this bucket, although I'll have to adjust the height a tick.
Go BGHydro!!!

Only had a couple hours to mess around this evening, however I did manage to get the tent set up, lighting for the 3x3 side (where GDP is going) and the soon to be moms on the bottom level of the side.

Remaining work to be done for this part before plants can move in is to rig up the ventilation. I'm going to make the exhaust from this tent be an intake to my Lab tent. Mainly to piggyback the carbon filter and avoid buying another fan/filter setup. Well, another fan anyway as I already have an unopened 4in carbon filter.

With the side levels on this thing, it makes it interesting to set up the exhaust as I described. Fear not, I have a plan. :D

I will be using a 6in HVAC tee. The bottom of this tee will sit on top of the smaller side, which just happens to have a 6in vent in the tent ceiling. The left side of the tee will have ducting that will run a couple feet over to the ceiling duct on the 3x3 side. The right side will connect to ducting which will run across the ceiling and into the top duct on the lab tent, and trunk down the side. Just crazy enough that it might work. :laughtwo:

On tap for tomorrow will be connecting the ducting, setting up a dutch bucket, potting up and moving GDP, and then tackling the rest of the list.

Adding to the list: some defol in the Lab. Gettin a little thick and need to keep airflow good. :)

Only had a couple hours to mess around this evening, however I did manage to get the tent set up, lighting for the 3x3 side (where GDP is going) and the soon to be moms on the bottom level of the side.

Remaining work to be done for this part before plants can move in is to rig up the ventilation. I'm going to make the exhaust from this tent be an intake to my Lab tent. Mainly to piggyback the carbon filter and avoid buying another fan/filter setup. Well, another fan anyway as I already have an unopened 4in carbon filter.

With the side levels on this thing, it makes it interesting to set up the exhaust as I described. Fear not, I have a plan. :D

I will be using a 6in HVAC tee. The bottom of this tee will sit on top of the smaller side, which just happens to have a 6in vent in the tent ceiling. The left side of the tee will have ducting that will run a couple feet over to the ceiling duct on the 3x3 side. The right side will connect to ducting which will run across the ceiling and into the top duct on the lab tent, and trunk down the side. Just crazy enough that it might work. :laughtwo:

On tap for tomorrow will be connecting the ducting, setting up a dutch bucket, potting up and moving GDP, and then tackling the rest of the list.

Adding to the list: some defol in the Lab. Gettin a little thick and need to keep airflow good. :)
You have the grocery list. Very nice. How far are you from harvest on the GDP? I've always thought of growing it

She's a long way off. I haven't even topped and started training her yet.
See how I dont pay attention!? I dont deserve your "likes" so ashamed!

Hey, you seem like a Jeopardy fan... is that the case?

Hey, you seem like a Jeopardy fan... is that the case?

Not really. I'll watch it occasionally, but mainly because it comes on before the news and sometimes I'll turn it on early or something.

Back
Top Bottom