Vortex's Lab: 4x4 Secondary Garden & Experimental Thread

Not really. I'll watch it occasionally, but mainly because it comes on before the news and sometimes I'll turn it on early or something.
The wife and I play along at home. I'm not very good, but I dont have to be... I just have to better than her!

Have decided to go ahead and add the riser, but will be splitting the height between the tent on a riser, and the bucket on a riser.

I already have a 4" riser from the original RDWC build that the reservoir was going to sit on. I'm going to sit the tent on this, although I need to add a 6" strip as it's 30" and needs to be 36". Not a problem, easy peasy.

Next I will have to put the bucket on an 8.5" riser inside the tent. I have a 7" riser already, again from the first RDWC build, so I will add a 2x4 block under that and be where we need to be. By the time we add in the level of the drain pipe from the dutch bucket, we'll be at an 11" height, which is an inch taller than the bottom of the duct port I'll be taking the drain out into the reservoir.

That duct height is the main reason for the bucket riser, although with any duct it would still need some. I'm trying to get it all done, but also conserve head space if possible. I think we've done about all we can with that.

The 4" under the tent gets the bottom of the duct 14" off the floor, and 2" above the top of the res I'll be using.

This also lets me reuse things for this run mini one-off run for the GDP that I already have on hand. That's not a bad thing, and one of the things I told myself I would need to do if I wanted to keep this plant instead of culling it.

Anyway, break times over. No use layin round gettin a sun tan. Won't do me no good no how. :rofl:

Better run. Sounds like Mongo's on his way. :laughtwo: :laughtwo:

A2365C76-C5E0-44A2-8185-876C5E250D71.jpeg

Shot across the new tent. At this point the exhaust ducting on top was in, and you can see the top of the RDWC in the back on the left, and the top of the Lab in the back on the right.

A193F1FA-3533-433C-9A40-CC212A883971.jpeg

The dutch bucket getting a fitting on its little stand.

E5818EE3-418F-49D3-8757-F70FE0A3033D.jpeg

Now the res for it. Went with one of the umpteen 5gal buckets I have sitting around.

What’s with the shit on top? Awww hell, mV’s at it again. :rolleyes:

Yes. That is the return, and this lets me empty the bucket without taking off the top. Close one valve, open another. Since it’s not pressurized, I didn’t glue anything, which means I can reuse the pieces later, and sticks to my goal of not specializing anything permanent for this one-off bucket setup.

Breaks over. Back to it. Time to move the GDP, then snip snip on the girls in the RDWC and starting some clones.

A2365C76-C5E0-44A2-8185-876C5E250D71.jpeg

Shot across the new tent. At this point the exhaust ducting on top was in, and you can see the top of the RDWC in the back on the left, and the top of the Lab in the back on the right.

A193F1FA-3533-433C-9A40-CC212A883971.jpeg

The dutch bucket getting a fitting on its little stand.

E5818EE3-418F-49D3-8757-F70FE0A3033D.jpeg

Now the res for it. Went with one of the umpteen 5gal buckets I have sitting around.

What’s with the shit on top? Awww hell, mV’s at it again. :rolleyes:

Yes. That is the return, and this lets me empty the bucket without taking off the top. Close one valve, open another. Since it’s not pressurized, I didn’t glue anything, which means I can reuse the pieces later, and sticks to my goal of not specializing anything permanent for this one-off bucket setup.

Breaks over. Back to it. Time to move the GDP, then snip snip on the girls in the RDWC and starting some clones.
Nice!

Thanks!

Finished up the stuff on the bucket. Taking a short one, apparently extremely short with the way the game is going, and then it's time to mix up nutes for the res and put the GDP into her new home.

I should have been further ahead by now, but took me 45 minutes to a) find another timer, b) figure out what I'm going to do with the one I came up with (borrowed from the heater in my RDWC), and c) find another extension cord.

So for this, for now, the timer I came up with is a mechanical one. So the water is going to circulate for 30 minutes on the bucket. Thankfully the pump is weak, and my guess is that in the 30 minutes it runs it works out. I can also dial back the pump if need be, so it's not as terrible as it could be.

I do have another timer that's digital and precise to the second, but that one is earmarked for where seconds matter, and that's in the Lab to water the promix girls. Needless to say that you can see why the new Development Lab (Dev Lab for short) is getting the mechanical timer.

I think that the "Dev Lab" will be the name for the space. First, because it's for the development of baby plants, as well as the development of harvested buds. Second, it can see a little experimentation and use of various styles and methods. At least that's the name I'm trying on for the moment. Makes sense at the very least.

Guess I'd better get to deciding pretty quick, as I plan to make a little journal for it as well. Not that I really need it, I could do one big journal, but for me it's easier to find stuff if it's separated out into different ones.

After a slightly more lengthy break than I thought it would be (how bout that 1nd quarter? wow!), I was quickly reminded how long it takes (me) to properly prep perlite for use. I was also reminded how that shit gets everywhere. :rolleyes:

Also got the nutes mixed and in the res, and all the rest of the stuff ready.

So with all that done, in just under an hour, I can freaking finally get the GDP out of the solo cup and into the bucket.

Had to take a quick stop to catch the end of the game and whatnot, plus what I've been doing puts my back in weird positions which can trigger the no bueno. So do a little, break a little, and then slow and steady wins the race.

Looking good Multi! Lots goin on I like it

Thanks, Dutch!

I came across a (reasonable) 12-pack of the floraflex matrix trays. For $30, I was ok with that. Have one going on my dutch bucket attempt to save a GDP runt thing I've got going on. It works great for that and gets really good coverage. :)

- Night Queen (Dutch Passion)
- Durban Poison (Dutch Passion)
- Orange Bud (Dutch Passion)
- Cream Cookies (Fast Buds)

Next round of autos have been through one of the International Service Centers (aka: ISC) and are currently moving along en route. Not expeditiously, at least enough for me, but they're moving through and on their way. :D

:headbanger:

Next round of autos have been through one of the International Service Centers (aka: ISC) and are currently moving along en route. Not expeditiously, at least enough for me, but they're moving through and on their way. :D

I know what you mean. My Lemon Drop, Red Poison. Black Cream and Dark Devil Auto Fems just got to me yesterday and were expected nearly a week ago. Once they make it through to the US they disappear in the USPS system and you just have to wait until they show up. :rolleyes:

I didn't get pics last night as I was in a hurry to get lemmy watered in and a little bit of saucer cleanup done. I tell you what though, Lemmy has taken the damn place over without prejudice. I'm going to have to get into her today and get her cleaned up through a solid defol, and going to have to most likely give her a lollipop as well. She. Is. Massive. for an auto.

My brother was over and checked with me. He was quite stunned at her size as well, especially for an auto.

I'm pretty sure she's done stretched out now. She maybe added 4" of height, if that while I was gone. Now it's time for her to start filling in those flowers. :D

The rest were doing well. The crack baby has some really, really fat calyxes on her and has been really neat to watch grow. Blue and the rest are well. I'll get some pics when I get into it later today.

Now that I've managed to get the RDWC and Dev Lab up to snuff, or as up as they're going to be, it's (almost) time to finally dig into the ol Lab and get some work done.

But for the moment, how about a few little shots of Blue and some of her flowers to tide us over...

0FFDFA28-C3E6-4355-99CF-6AF52D2B4077.jpeg

E6521576-7B4C-4E30-A974-2FADE67FEDD0.jpeg

0D8319FB-0D6C-48D4-A7C5-3895C3D86DE9.jpeg

F54F402A-60C5-4FD8-BA19-377B05EDAB2A.jpeg

She's getting some chunkers on her for sure. She's also starting to cannibalize some of her leaves, although not a sign of cloudy trichs to be had. I even checked some sugar leaves, and they're still clear too. Not that it means anything, but since those will turn before the flowers, she seems a tick far away to be starting to eat up her leaves already.

So on the agenda for after dinner is:

- pull out the girls, one by one and lollipop/trim them up
- change from the square drip plates to the round ones
- trim lemmy up real good

Seeds arrived Wednesday, all is well. Next Lab run in hand, all supplies, etc. we should be ready when the time comes.

Let's dive into it.

82350DC7-2960-4905-879D-71396E4A686A.jpeg

7A077E9A-5976-49ED-9D43-0C1E39C5E211.jpeg

Here's Lemmy. She went into full beast mode and is taking over the space. Overall she's fine. She got a couple crispy leaves from when I had her partially out Friday while giving her a clean up. Since the front light is lower, she got a bit too close for comfort. I'll be keeping an eye out and clipping as necessary. I've started adding a few yoyo's for her, trying to get her supported and moved away from her friends.

I'm also considering running a 2ft wide netting from the left to right side, and tucking her through. We'll see what I can come up with.

The breeder estimate for flowering is well over a month away, and doesn't start until the 4th of March. Regardless of its accuracy, she's got a ways to go.

54BBC69D-AA83-4745-B13B-A4634242FBFD.jpeg

Six is sticky, and closing in on her final weeks. The start of the breeder estimate is 3 weeks from tomorrow on Feb 17th.

606CD91D-29CB-4904-934E-629DF94401C3.jpeg

The crack baby is coming along. Boy does she have some fat calyxes on her. By the breeder estimate, we need to keep an eye on her starting Feb 10th, just 2 weeks from tomorrow.

5976D4C8-9D21-48D4-AC09-B12586396373.jpeg

Yes, Virginia, there is a Chica. She's back in the corner, trying to vie for light and space. She's putting on some nice buds though, despite Lemmy's hoggish ways. We'll be looking at her window to open somewhere around the 27th of February.

92D65F17-A9BF-4DB3-B301-29BA0A50A0B6.jpeg

Finally Blue's in the other back corner. She too got a tick crispy, combined with her starting to cannibalize her own leaves. She will also be on harvest watch on Feb 17th.

Obviously the breeders estimates aren't a super refined science, but at least we know a general time frame to keep a closer eye on them.

An observation of the trichomes will let us know, and right now there is mostly clear with a random cloudy here and there on Six, Blue, and the Crack baby. While not what we want to look for, but an indication we're getting closer, the trichomes on the sugar leaves are cloudy with a random amber showing up. That means the ones on the flowers won't be too far behind, and it looks like we're in good shape with the upcoming windows.

Well shit on a stick.

Decided to give the loupe a spin for shits and grins.

Took a look at the crack baby and I think I may have seen a tinge of light amber in a scant few places. I’ll have to double and triple check, but unless I’ve medicated a tick heavy (yeah, ok) then we may be trimming up a plant in the next 4-10 days.

The breeder estimate would be a week from Monday, but it’s done when it’s done. (Just like brisket.)

Didn’t have time to snap a pic, as I was trying to get in and out before lights out on the RDWC.

If I see anything tomorrow I’ll try and get a pic.

Well, let's see what's going on this morning, shall we?

First let's discuss the crack baby. She's close, but not quite there. It will not be long, that much is certain.

26F0A2EA-48F1-4790-A6AE-7730C3DF321D.jpeg

AC17F4B8-5FFA-43B1-B0EE-84550F8F4F98.jpeg

I have a couple more pics of her, but they're worse than this one. Turrible is an understatement. The second one isn't right. I blame the filter for making the image more yellow toned. I wasn't going to include it, but figured what the hell.

Anyway, still a good bit of clear, some cloudy, and a few amber-ish scattered here and there is what I'm seeing when looking. I'll need to keep an eye on her and check frequently, but it won't be this weekend. I don't want a ton of amber in her, but maybe 10%-15%. I don't want her to freak me out, but also don't want something that is supposed to be a "pick me up" type effect to lock me down either.

I'll try better later this afternoon or tomorrow for some better pics. "Now's not the time", according to Curly Bill.

Next up is ol Blue.

5B4E4742-8B3A-492B-BF0D-84E423D2357F.jpeg

She's been playing with a little self destruction the past several days. Nothing out of the ordinary as that time creeps closer, although with an estimate of just over 3 weeks to go (per breeder), it seems just a hair early. I may be slightly back of when I counted their start of flower, too. Either way, by estimates she should be in the ballpark somewhere around the 17th. May be a little earlier, but we'll see. No need to keep a frequent check on her just yet. She's still all clear, and sticky AF. :D

AB9DE6FE-B250-4CB2-B3F0-E6E4E7D2BCA9.jpeg

Here's an unfiltered shot across the way to the Chica. Lemmy is really pushing her, but I'm trying to keep her in the game. I'll probably end up with a little less than I would have without the crowding into her, but she should still do well. If the end result is good, I'll definitely grow her again. She has some great, thick and chunky flowers on her. Very solid.

Finally, we're on to Lemmy.

B782D824-1495-444B-B130-5036D7FAF805.jpeg

A98BDB0C-9D59-4FDC-A72A-5C58D10B4367.jpeg

From the front, then peeking from the back corner to try and give some perspective to just how much room she is hogging up.

As soon as I get the crack baby hanging to dry, I'm moving blue forward to that spot and giving Lemmy the back corner along with the middle. Hopefully that can pull her off the Chica and give her a better shot.

I may have to trim a few nodes from Lemmy, as much as I hate the thought. Some of them are probably going to end up as scruff, and the energy may be better suited to the rest of her canopy.

Now for drying. I have a few options, but not what I'd initially planned.

I can:

a) hang them back in the tent where it's running 78F and 52% RH (give or take. It's probably a hair higher overnight.) I could hang above the lights where it's warmer, but not sure what the humidity is there.

b) hang them in the other tent in the small space where it's 74F/48% RH.

c) hang them in the other tent in the larger space with the GDP, above the light where it's 75F/48% RH at the canopy level.

d) hang them in the RDWC tent, where the temps are 80F with a 60% RH. (It's a hair higher in there still since it's just been flipped, and VPD for early flower and 80F is fine at 60% RH. :D)

Now sure yet, and nothing is really ideal. Going to have to think it through a bit and see.

Back
Top Bottom