Water to drain

kaw900r

I finally got around to building a rack, found a deep pan big enough and getting ready to move forward with 5gal fabric adding frass & bokashi in the layers.

20220713_231945.jpg

It's treated wood
dont matter, it will still grow mold or black mold, bambo would be different, but any kind of wood is in danger whether treated or not. Treated means it wont rot. Also, treated lumber is bad to use because of the chemicals they use to treat with. Can leach into your bags and roots. so, food for thought..
Thats why they say dont use treated lumber inside your living space.

Agreed, the wood will absorb and retain moisture. Coat the wood with plastic or a good coat or two of paint to keep it from staying wet.

dont matter, it will still grow mold or black mold, bambo would be different, but any kind of wood is in danger whether treated or not. Treated means it wont rot. Also, treated lumber is bad to use because of the chemicals they use to treat with. Can leach into your bags and roots. so, food for thought..
Thats why they say dont use treated lumber inside your living space.

That was the case ≤2003, because the most common preservative used for pressure treated wood was chromated copper arsenate (CCA), a compound using arsenic as its primary rot protectant. Such wood could leach copper, chromium, and arsenic into the soil (Cu leaching was the most likely, and Cr was the least likely). More recently, however, micronized copper quaternary has been used. Testing might show some small degree of increased copper in the soil, over time - but nowhere near as much as in the past, and articles I've read state (with figures) that it's safe.

I just wanted to point that out. People have their own specific ideas of what constitutes a "comfort zone" (so to speak)... Some folks prefer not to eat bananas - and won't eat Brazil nuts - due to their slightly higher than background-level radioactivity, for example, while others consume one or both regularly without a second thought. Many people routinely use dry cleaning services - and testing will often show chemicals that have offgassed from such clothes into their home's air (and perchloroethylene is said to be a carcinogen).

And I couldn't begin to speculate what the current process is in China, so I have no idea whether some sort of wooden rack purchased from (sc)Amazon that has been manufactured from pressure-treated wood products might be different than the stuff you'd find in a local lumber yard or hardware-themed department store such as Lowes or Home Depot.

Ironically, with the stuff used in pressure-treating wood in the past... the copper salts acted as a general fungicide, and the arsenic did so for Cu-resistant fungi. I'm not sure how the newer stuff works, in that regard.

Perhaps something like stainless steel might be safer? I don't know whether it's actually necessary, though. Staying on the ground is safer than climbing a ladder - but that is not the same thing as saying that it's unsafe to climb a ladder, lol (although, having fallen off, at least once, of just about every one of the things that I've ever encountered, that might not be the best statement I could have made ;)).

When looking at the OP's picture, my primary concern was "is the liquid in the drain pan being removed ASAP every time?"

I'm just rambling. . . .

thanks for that info. Im also in the "dont drink warm water from the tap" crew, lol..

the rack idea does look cool tho. Maybe a fridge rack,OR even better an oven rack, and just support the center with a couple plastic cups?

Otay, all I didn't mention that I have plastic pit holders I am putting under them and drill a hole in them to make sure it drains where I want it to go. I have thought about all those scenarios and this is what I'm trying

you can get plant elevators pretty cheap at most dollar stores right now. fancy ones have wheels to help you roll them around if you need.

Bags are in plant tray with hole drilled for water to drain.

20220715_094004.jpg

if the holes are under the bag it may not drain correct. the weight of the plant and bag forms a seal over the hole, resulting in a slower drain, or trapping water at the sides.

it's best to elevate pots to get air space under the bags, with some distance between it and the drain tray, as opposed to flat in tray with holes under. otherwise i'd eliminate the trays and just have the bags sitting on the pallet you built.

those are some big bags. you could fill that tent with just one plant if you wanted.

those are some big bags. you could fill that tent with just one plant if you wanted.

Yes. They appear (to me) to be five-gallon ones. Which causes me to wonder just how small that tent is.

Appreciate all the advice and I added a grate under pots to give clearance to drain. I have a full tent. Considering taking some clones off of the big dosido as the 3 others adjust to new pots

20220716_192423.jpg

After days of rain had to turn dehumidifier on to keep it in control. Need AC installed but everyone is busy

Back
Top Bottom