What do you guys think about this, also are these rapid rooters?

y2kayo

IMG_20230429_141530_185.jpg
IMG_20230429_141641_493.jpg

I've been struggling with germinating, I think the strain I picked are finicky bastards (space cookies) if I do manage to get tap roots going do you guys recommend I try using my moms tomato hydro set up or should I just stick them in my soil and be done?

also what do you guys think about trying to just germinate them in this thing? It's kinda like dirt but there more like a sponge. I'm not sure what to think of it. (If I can keep a temp of 80F that is)

It does take time for a plant to transition when switching from hydro to soil growing methods, or vice versa from soil to hydro…. the roots develop differently based on the grow method used, that is soil roots versus water roots

anyway with that being said you should start them in soil if you plan to flower them in soil, same goes for hydro. If you are going to finish them in hydro then start them in hydro.…there’s about a 2 week lag when you transition a plant.

yup that appears to be a rapid rooter. Personally, I’ve tried the peat pucks, rapid rooters and have had issues with weak or undeveloped rootball discovered during root autopsy with both peat pucks & rapid rooters.

I’m stuck on light seed starter mix with a handful of my regular soil mix thrown in for good measure. Early intro to mycos too. There’s differences of opinion on this but my take is skip the whole I‘m soaking my seeds in hydrogen peroxide to sterilize it step too, it kills any natural goodness that exist on outer seed casing.

the rapid rooters are easy to use. you can transplant the seedling to whatever media you want once it's established. it won't skip a beat whether going into soil or hydro.

It does take time for a plant to transition when switching from hydro to soil growing methods, or vice versa from soil to hydro…. the roots develop differently based on the grow method used, that is soil roots versus water roots

anyway with that being said you should start them in soil if you plan to flower them in soil, same goes for hydro. If you are going to finish them in hydro then start them in hydro.…there’s about a 2 week lag when you transition a plant.

yup that appears to be a rapid rooter. Personally, I’ve tried the peat pucks, rapid rooters and have had issues with weak or undeveloped rootball discovered during root autopsy with both peat pucks & rapid rooters.

I’m stuck on light seed starter mix with a handful of my regular soil mix thrown in for good measure. Early intro to mycos too, for sure skip the whole I‘m soaking my seeds in hydrogen peroxide step too, it kills any natural mycos that exist on outer seed casing.
Thank you, yeah the peroxide thing didn't sit well with me either, I did try it with one seed because they are being finicky little bastards lol
Appreciate you

the rapid rooters are easy to use. you can transplant the seedling to whatever media you want once it's established. it won't skip a beat whether going into soil or hydro.
Yeah my seeds are being stubborn bastards so I might just try one out in here to see if it germinates. Was just running it by you guys because I learn something everytime I ask a question!

I start all my seeds in rapid rooters I get 100 % germination and I know it’s at the right moisture level to germinate and start growth.
Then I put them into my soil usually a solo cup and go from there.
They also stop me from digging around in my soil since I’m too impatient to wait for them.
I know I drop a seed 3 days later I have cotyledons.

I start all my seeds in rapid rooters I get 100 % germination and I know it’s at the right moisture level to germinate and start growth.
Then I put them into my soil usually a solo cup and go from there.
They also stop me from digging around in my soil since I’m too impatient to wait for them.
I know I drop a seed 3 days later I have cotyledons.

Do you have the rapid rooter touching the water or do you water from the top?

Also is cotyledons the round shaped plant part with the round leaf things?
Or is it just the first set of leaves?

Im almost certain that whatever residue was left in the bounty paper towels I was using were killing my seeds.

I put 2 space cookies and 1 jack the ripper(I think) into brown napkins and so far day 2 I have tap roots on all 3!!!!!!

I have multiple other space cookies that failed using the white bounty towels.

I have 3 that spent 1 day in the white ones that I switched out to the brown napkins and by the looks of it they are starting to crack but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm beyond excited because I've been dicking around for a month trying to get just 1 to grow a tap root.

Cheers

Do you have the rapid rooter touching the water or do you water from the top?

Im almost certain that whatever residue was left in the bounty paper towels I was using were killing my seeds.

I put 2 space cookies and 1 jack the ripper(I think) into brown napkins and so far day 2 I have tap roots on all 3!!!!!!

I have multiple other space cookies that failed using the white bounty towels.

I have 3 that spent 1 day in the white ones that I switched out to the brown napkins and by the looks of it they are starting to crack but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm beyond excited because I've been dicking around for a month trying to get just 1 to grow a tap root.

Cheers
I have a tray that came with the 50 rapid rooters I bought when I start a seed a put a little bit of water In the bottom of the tray to keep humidity up.
Doesn’t have to be touching the rapid rooter.
I soak my rapid rooter then give it a squeeze to get excess moisture out they don’t have to be water logged.
Then I pop my seed in cover it with the dome and leave in the dark for a few days.
Make sure it’s warm and humid for them and it should be good.

It’s also worth mentioning that the seeds should be fresh and viable.
Proper seed storage is more than half the battle when it comes to germination.

Hope this helps

I have a tray that came with the 50 rapid rooters I bought when I start a seed a put a little bit of water In the bottom of the tray to keep humidity up.
Doesn’t have to be touching the rapid rooter.
I soak my rapid rooter then give it a squeeze to get excess moisture out they don’t have to be water logged.
Then I pop my seed in cover it with the dome and leave in the dark for a few days.
Make sure it’s warm and humid for them and it should be good.

It’s also worth mentioning that the seeds should be fresh and viable.
Proper seed storage is more than half the battle when it comes to germination.

Hope this helps
How should I be storing my spare seeds?

Thanks

How should I be storing my spare seeds?

Thanks
I put mine in a Tupperware and in the butter drawer of my fridge.
When I need a seed I take the seeds out let them acclimate to the temp outside the fridge and then drop them in the rapid rooter a day later

i'm germinating towel method to hempy starting today if you wanna see a white knuckler of a system lol :p

i'm germinating towel method to hempy starting today if you wanna see a white knuckler of a system lol :p

I think the white paper towels were killing my seeds with bleach residue or whatever. I popped them in brown napkins and they popped almost immediately! :D

What s a white knuckler system?
Pictures pleaseeeeee

IMG_20230429_141530_185.jpg
IMG_20230429_141641_493.jpg

I've been struggling with germinating, I think the strain I picked are finicky bastards (space cookies) if I do manage to get tap roots going do you guys recommend I try using my moms tomato hydro set up or should I just stick them in my soil and be done?

also what do you guys think about trying to just germinate them in this thing? It's kinda like dirt but there more like a sponge. I'm not sure what to think of it. (If I can keep a temp of 80F that is)
No experience with them things, what works real well for me is soaking the seeds in 80 degree water from 8 to 24 hours. After an 8 hour soak I look for a crack in the husk if cracked I immediately plant in medium. I do not wait to see a tap root. Waiting fer a tap could result in the little seed drowning or disturbing the delicate taproot. H2o2 does well also, but must be limited time soaking, again once cracked place in medium. Many peeps just place a fricken seed without any other interference in the pot and keep moist, also works well just like nature intended. Happy growing.
:passitleft:

In the title you ask "...also are these rapid rooters?". They do look like they are but the name Rapid Rooters is a brand name for a product from General Hydroponics. The name should be on the package.

It's kinda like dirt but there more like a sponge. I'm not sure what to think of it.
I dug around the internet and found a couple of web pages that mentioned how they were made. Rapid Rooters are made of composted tree bark and compressed and molded to that shape. They have a sponge feel to them as a result of how they are made. If not using them then every now and then add some water but no where have I found out how much water.

The cotyledons are the two little round leaf things that show up as the plant pushes above the soil. They supply the nutrients and glucose that the plant needs to grow the first roots and true leaves. Technically they are the first set of leaves and are actually the two halves of that little seed that was planted. The plant will not grow a second set of cotyledons.

Right after the cotyledons show up the next thing to start growing is the first set of true leaves. They will have the serrated edge and are often a single finger leaf. From then on the leaves can have 3 or more fingers.

The only reason I can think of for the plant to go back to growing single blade or finger leaves is after it has started to flower and was allowed to revert back to a vegetation stage.

I think the white paper towels were killing my seeds with bleach residue or whatever. I popped them in brown napkins and they popped almost immediately!

What s a white knuckler system?
Pictures pleaseeeeee

germinating seeds here :

follow along there. i should be looking at transferring to hempy cup in the next 2 - 3 days.

The only reason I can think of for the plant to go back to growing single blade or finger leaves is after it has started to flower and was allowed to revert back to a vegetation stage.

you can send it back in veg too if you stall it out bad enough. essentially it regenerates from the roots. it happened to some brutally under fed black indica i had. i re-potted and rebalanced the nutes, when it recovered it reverted back to single stage like a reveg.

In the title you ask "...also are these rapid rooters?". They do look like they are but the name Rapid Rooters is a brand name for a product from General Hydroponics. The name should be on the package.

I dug around the internet and found a couple of web pages that mentioned how they were made. Rapid Rooters are made of composted tree bark and compressed and molded to that shape. They have a sponge feel to them as a result of how they are made. If not using them then every now and then add some water but no where have I found out how much water.

The cotyledons are the two little round leaf things that show up as the plant pushes above the soil. They supply the nutrients and glucose that the plant needs to grow the first roots and true leaves. Technically they are the first set of leaves and are actually the two halves of that little seed that was planted. The plant will not grow a second set of cotyledons.

Right after the cotyledons show up the next thing to start growing is the first set of true leaves. They will have the serrated edge and are often a single finger leaf. From then on the leaves can have 3 or more fingers.

Thanks, I'm thinking about starting my seedling in those cone things sitting In the dirt. I only have 1 5gal bucket going atm and think it might be an easier/more delicate way to transfer them out once they sprout but I'm not sure it the best idea.

Thank you yeah the seed was sprouting those right out of the seed with no tap root it was very strange.....

you can send it back in veg too if you stall it out bad enough. essentially it regenerates from the roots. it happened to some brutally under fed black indica i had. i re-potted and rebalanced the nutes, when it recovered it reverted back to single stage like a reveg.
I have had similar happen but there was no "reveg" stage unless I took a cutting. If the cutting rooted then the top would go back to growing single blade or single finger leaves for a couple of weeks.

I had brought it up and posted several photos (even with leaves that had mite damage) of a Blue Dream cutting that when it started to root it then started re-vegetating.
https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/need-flipping-advice.527344/post-5717729

Back
Top Bottom