what do you think of this soil mix, Coast of Maine. Stonington Blend

I have some cs. Im about to s1 my lemon kush. Would like seeds (female) from it. Not very happy with the end product but would like to get some of its traits (budzilla size) over to another strain.

Cs works but don't smoke the product it has been sprayed on.

Sweet, was just in GNC during lunch looking at some CS. They only had one bottl, or brand and the ppm was 10... I wasn't buying anyway, but I've read I want 50ppm.

I have a ways to go, and much more research to do before I'm ready for that, but I'm doing it

COM is a good company, selling quality products. I bet that soil is one of the best bagged soil options on the market. I would caution against adding anything to it, short of maybe extra aeration. See how it works first. Don't fear "running out of nutes", unless you intend on using tiny containers this shouldn't be a problem at all.

Rethink using dolomite lime, it has little purpose in actual real professional gardening, more of a myth based canna gardening thingy... I'll ask you why do you think you should be adding dolomite or any other lime to the soil?

Email COM and ask for a copy of a soil test report of that product, they will send it to you most likely this will give you some confidence in the product, and keep you from screwing your self up by adding too much shit to the soil.
My guess is that given sufficient container size, this bagged soil you have will grow an auto well, with nearly only water.

That's just a real strong suspicion I have.

Ok, given the materials you already have and want to use, try a mix close to this.

80% stonigtons
10% added humus (EWC and or a quality compost)
10% added aeration amendment

Top dress with worm castings and this here at the beginning of your cycle would be great: Lobster and Kelp Fertilizer

I like to mulch anywhere I'm growing anything, indoors outdoors doesn't matter. There's plenty of science that clearly demonstrates the benefits of mulching.

A month of cooking is just fine. Cooking is simply nutrient cycling, allowing the microbial processes to convert nutrients into a form the plants can readily use. A compost tea to moisten your "cooking" soil is a great idea IMO. It makes sense.

If my post leaves you wondering something ask away. I'll either share what I know or scratch my head with ya, lol.

I'm excited to see you grow in this bagged mix, I'm always on the lookout for a decent bagged product to get people interested in growing their weed organically, and nothing's easier than using a bag and water only... If it works well.

It would be cool to see you run one plant in only this bagged soil, adding only water.

Edit: I gave some soil that I mixed up last summer to a friend who had never grown before. He grew a real nice plant in his window, never adding anything but water. I was surprised that it turned out so well. Interesting at least, right?

COM is a good company, selling quality products. I bet that soil is one of the best bagged soil options on the market. I would caution against adding anything to it, short of maybe extra aeration. See how it works first. Don't fear "running out of nutes", unless you intend on using tiny containers this shouldn't be a problem at all.

Rethink using dolomite lime, it has little purpose in actual real professional gardening, more of a myth based canna gardening thingy... I'll ask you why do you think you should be adding dolomite or any other lime to the soil?

Email COM and ask for a copy of a soil test report of that product, they will send it to you most likely this will give you some confidence in the product, and keep you from screwing your self up by adding too much shit to the soil.
My guess is that given sufficient container size, this bagged soil you have will grow an auto well, with nearly only water.

That's just a real strong suspicion I have.

Ok, given the materials you already have and want to use, try a mix close to this.

80% stonigtons
10% added humus (EWC and or a quality compost)
10% added aeration amendment

Top dress with worm castings and this here at the beginning of your cycle would be great: Lobster and Kelp Fertilizer

I like to mulch anywhere I'm growing anything, indoors outdoors doesn't matter. There's plenty of science that clearly demonstrates the benefits of mulching.

A month of cooking is just fine. Cooking is simply nutrient cycling, allowing the microbial processes to convert nutrients into a form the plants can readily use. A compost tea to moisten your "cooking" soil is a great idea IMO. It makes sense.

If my post leaves you wondering something ask away. I'll either share what I know or scratch my head with ya, lol.

I'm excited to see you grow in this bagged mix, I'm always on the lookout for a decent bagged product to get people interested in growing their weed organically, and nothing's easier than using a bag and water only... If it works well.

It would be cool to see you run one plant in only this bagged soil, adding only water.

Edit: I gave some soil that I mixed up last summer to a friend who had never grown before. He grew a real nice plant in his window, never adding anything but water. I was surprised that it turned out so well. Interesting at least, right?

Yikes,, I just saw this. Great info thank you.... makes me wonder if I screwed the pooch adding what I have...

Okay this is what I have cooking in plastic containers, tell me I didn't ruin it. It's for three gallon smart pots which I'm running autos in starting in April. I used a quart sized container to measure soil

6quarts Stonington blend
2qt perlite
1qt Alaskan forest
1 qt Black Gold potting soil
1qt coast of maine EWC
1qt black gold EWC
3 table spoons dolomite
3 tsp azomite
1 table spoon epsoma organic bio tone starter 4--4-3
3 tsp rock phosphate
Watered with molasses PHd water

Been sitting two weeks now

I actually have two containers with the Stonington as the base, and I made two containers with FFOF as the base. I'm doing four autos this run.

Maybe I'll use this for my tomatoes??

???

Going to see if I can find some if that lobster kelp fertilizer. Not for next grow,, but future ones. ;)

Thanks, and thanks again for that information, was kind of like a pep talk and I've copied your words to a personal journal I keep on my computer.

I didn't find that fertilizer. But, you should look at that bio tone starter plus, and tell me what you think.

Espoma Organic Bio-Tone Starter Plus 4-3-3 Natural & Organic Starter Plant Food with Both Endo & Ecto Mycorrhizae

1666931102206.png

Lots of good stuff to feed my herd. I can't spell that micro stuff, but you get what I'm throwing down I assume? ;)

From my local nursery today I did get six slightly used seven gallon plastic containers for four bucks each. That's for Dutty and I on a summer co journal....

And, I did reach out to my contact at COM to get a copy of a soil test. I'll post when I get it.

Thanks again!!

Checking the soil for my next grow.. finally starting to see some fuzzy white growth on top....
20150315_204005.jpg

I love the green light ;)

Been going back and forth with the folks from COM. They offered a tour of their facilities which I've accepted and will be going north to Maine April 29th.

I'm also considering a half pallet of Stonington blend at a very discounted price. But thirty bags is much for me right now. But, the price is so hard to say no.

It got me thinking,, if anyone in the local area is interested in getting some COM soil the Stonington blend, we can talk via PM. Send one.

Anyone interested in joining me on the tour, let me know, we can car pool.

I just bought 2 bags of the COM stuff but I bought the Lobster compost soil conditioner (lobster compost and sphagnum peat moss), and I also got a bag of the cow manure soil builder (composted cow manure, sphagnum peat and peat humus). I'll be using these as ingredients for my LOS soil. I'm up potting to larger containers so I can completely go no-til LOS. Interested in reading about your trip to the soil factory!!

I just bought 2 bags of the COM stuff but I bought the Lobster compost soil conditioner (lobster compost and sphagnum peat moss), and I also got a bag of the cow manure soil builder (composted cow manure, sphagnum peat and peat humus). I'll be using these as ingredients for my LOS soil. I'm up potting to larger containers so I can completely go no-til LOS. Interested in reading about your trip to the soil factory!!

They put it off I guess some other people couldn't make it and they are trying to bring as many people as possible. Might be a good thing anyway now that I've bought doc's kit. I will say this, my worst plant and my best plants are on that mix. The worst, I think it's because I didn't add any aeration, and the soil is thick. The three others that I did add aeration,, and a few amendments,,, they are noticeably thicker then then fox farms plants. Too early to tell much more then that. I think it's got some knats in it or they are attracted to something... But, I'm dealing with them. I like the soil, I'd rather buy good soil and loosen it up with cheap perlite, whatever,, then but a bunch of fluffy stuff. No wat I mean? Good luck

I just posted this same piece of advice on another post just a minute ago. If you can source the brand "Down To Earth" fertilizers, look for Bio-Live. It will boost a lot of root health and vigor for you. Your soil covers one type of Myco's. There are more than just one type of Myco. Bio-Live covers your Endomyco and Ectomyco. Endo's hyphae actually penetrate root cells as where the Ecto's don't. They surroung the cells. Both work symbiotically with the root its just they work in different ways.
endomycorrhizae-ectomycorrhizae_new_thumb_13_.png

Hope this helped and was useful to ya mate :) :volcano-smiley:

Cheers!

Nice write up GL :thumb: That is spot on. Most bottled nutrients will kill off the beneficial bacteria and Mycos that are living in the soil. Why I don't use nutrients and instead use soil that it ALIVE!

I brew up ACT (aerated compost teas), and I add Mycos along with compost and let that bubble in my Microbulator for 24-36 hrs, so I get lots of diversity, as the Great White Mycos has the good ones the canna plants like and my compost has a HUGE diversity of mycos and bacteria and other goodies as well. I try and source whats available local. Another good place to get Mycos is in the woods and dig up a few cups of soil and add that to the tea mix. The more diversity the better the soil! Feed the soil the soil feeds the plant.

Spoke to the Coast of Maine folks today and I was invited up to see the shit making facilities,, like real dirt. They might be making a donation to the farm I'm helping on, so, I need to see the goods. :) I haven't decided a date, they said anyone I know/want is invited,, so anyone want to carpool,, dial my number.. ;) I'd like to confirm soon. Thanks, good night!

Back
Top Bottom