When to flip?

Ripples

I'm not to experienced with growing especially with all the new technology we have today. Grew when I was young with just enough success to enjoy it! Today is a whole new world. To be honest I don't even smoke anymore but may sneak a toke of my own as it looks so delicious! Growing for fun and I truly love the challenge and want to be successful. My plan is to give the rewards to my Dad as he is sick and it helps him get through the day without pain. (he's a burnout from the 50's) I started with 10 not thinking they all would survive but here we are 6 weeks from germination and all are here and kicking. Web bought seeds (Fem. Chronic) grown in soilless 70% peat 30% perl feeding with Foxfarm nutes under a 1000 mh in a 4x4 tent. Temp is steady 75 Humidity is steady 48% with good airflow. Had some minor problem but with the help of my fellow growers here I have done fair? My question is space.... I'm a bit cramped and not sure when to flip. Unfortunately I'm leaving for 11 days to Costa Rica next week and will have my closest friend and brother care for these girls while gone. Can I wait till I return on Feb 8th to flip or should I flip now? Really want to wait but don't know what is best with my grow area? In the process of mounting fans on side post (Machinist with my own shop so I can make anything I want and need) to make more floor space. Too cramped to wait or let them grow and flip when I return?
20150117_112009.jpg
20150117_111929.jpg
20150117_111908.jpg

Wow, that's one great start you got for yourself there. As for when to flip, looks like you're going to max out on space there fairly soon. When you do flip and go through about 6-8 weeks for flowering the plants can grow up to another 1/3 to 1/2 of their present height. So bear that in mind. But the longer you veg, the higher will be your yield. Now different people do it differently but 10 plants in a 4X4 tent would be considered too dense by most growers. I have a 5X5 tent with 10 plants in it, the tallest being about 30" now 2-1/2 weeks into flowering. There's not only too many plants in there but I'm really going to be pushing the envelope on height. Remember you gotta have room for your lights in that tent as well as the height of the plants.

Imo, do some defol, flip within a few days provided they aren't stressed in any way and they are in their final pots. They will double/triple in height during the first 3 weeks of flower, stretch ends after roughly 24 days I believe. If you keep the number of leaves to a minimum so the bud sites get more light you can get a real nice harvest from 10 plants and they should still fit, it is a tough call though

there is no time limit for flipping them, you could veg them forever and make them mothers that provide clones for years.

keep in mind that when you switch the lights, they are going to get 3 times the size they are right now.

my suggestion would be, lollipop them and hit the switch. after that, every now and then keep cleaning the lower branches and leaves that are never going to get light and are sucking life and energy that could be utilized more efficiently

Back
Top Bottom