Where to place lights during flowering transition week

sativuhhh

Hi all, I have switched over to 12/12 lighting schedule on my scrog'd plants. The lights veg height is 18-30" (been running at 18" for veg happily) and they say for flower 12-18" distance. I moved em down for their first 12 hour lighting to about 15" and it seemed ok this morning at the end of the time.

How soon do you all move lights down at the flower switch? Right away? Slowly work closer? Thanks!

Here they are at the end of 12 hours of light before some light tucking I did this morning.
20190105_063245.jpg

Pretty much for all kinds of lights you want to gradually change height (inch or so at a time), as easier to tell if the plant doesn't like it and adjust accordingly. As the suggested numbers a fairly big range, so instead of moving them 5" and do some serious light burn go a little each day and see how they react to it and do more "damage control" so to speak. Varies on not only the person (most things there is points of view on both sides of the spectrum, like other things in life ;) ) but type of grow I imagine, some folks wait until the plant quits stretching to lower to final "Flower height", but in a scrog you already controlling the height so may not be the case (maybe someone that uses that method will chime in).

I have been debating this very question since I now have a bloom switch that adds quite a bit more wattage and a bunch more of the red spectrum to my lights. I was going to move out to the advertised max range for flower and start there, once they actually get to flower (7-10 days after the flip). Before I go for the more intense light it is my belief that they are not actually in flower until that transition period has passed. Then after hitting the bloom switch, as Dwight advised, I will start moving the lights down an inch at a time and waiting a day or so, until I find just how low I can go without causing damage.

I'm learning as I go, join on in! Thanks Dwight, I might raise em an inch or 2 tonight just to sleep easier. I lowered em down 3 and stressed the entire night and got up super early to check on em. I'm trying to keep the stretch under control as best I can, I'm going to have to start letting them grow up soon as the scrog room is getting pretty full.

I suppose I should plan on checking it every day right as the lights go on, seems like the stretch growth is really happening in the dark time and with them pushing hard I might have to raise the lights if I can't tuck anymore. Hmm.

I'm learning as I go, join on in! Thanks Dwight, I might raise em an inch or 2 tonight just to sleep easier. I lowered em down 3 and stressed the entire night and got up super early to check on em. I'm trying to keep the stretch under control as best I can, I'm going to have to start letting them grow up soon as the scrog room is getting pretty full.

I suppose I should plan on checking it every day right as the lights go on, seems like the stretch growth is really happening in the dark time and with them pushing hard I might have to raise the lights if I can't tuck anymore. Hmm.

Don't know for a fact but kinda makes sense that moving the light farther may make them stretch even more though. So many variables as different Strains will do different things, that and I've only been growing a couple years now, most of the ones I have grown didn't stretch a lot (maybe half the height it was when I switched lights) but then I had a Black Columbian that I revegged and she just went totally stupid on me and tried to increase her height 3x :rofl: so I was fighting her in Flower with LST which was something I never did before.

Yeah that was part of my thinking to lowering them down to make them not want to stretch quite as much. These two have already proven to be incredible growers in veg every day, this flower time should be fun.

Thanks! It's been fun to try to get it to do my bidding lol

Ok, taking advice and not wanting to push it...went to 17 for tonight's light cycle and will give it another day or two at that I think. All tucked with the lights on ready to coax them up into lots and lots of beautiful buds!
20190105_220753.jpg

Back
Top Bottom