White Widow & Blue Cheese First Time CFL Closet Grow

I have this really temporary ghetto exhaust where I use a 120mm PC fan I had laying around attached to some ducting until I get my Vortex fan in the mail.

I somehow managed to knock my door hard enough to send the exhaust (which wasn't attached securely) crashing down and breaking off 2 of the blades.

IMG_001647.JPG

It was late at night and I didn't feel like making a nice setup again, so I found some packaging tape and wrapped it around the fan and ducting. It looks sooooo ghetto, but it does its job.

IMG_001552.JPG

IMG_001445.JPG

Also I never had a exhaust hole cover before. So I found a disposable salad bowl and painted it to match my doors cover. Again I shouldn't do arts and craft at night because it always comes out ratchet. I dremeled the bowl in half and then taped it over the hole with none other then packaging tape!

As for the plants, im going to see how it looks tommorrow evening and if it doesnt improve, im gonna start cutting some of the brown rusty leaves off.

How close are your lights? I've noticed its a fine line between stressing your plants and them growing perfectly with CFL's difference of an inch between healthy growth and heat damage. Check out my grow in my link. Looking really good, I'm still very new but also growing with CFLs.

How close are your lights? I've noticed its a fine line between stressing your plants and them growing perfectly with CFL's difference of an inch between healthy growth and heat damage. Check out my grow in my link. Looking really good, I'm still very new but also growing with CFLs.

Thanks man. I have them literally an inch from the top of the plants. I believe they might be too close especially the size of the CFLs I have on them, 200w 6500k x 6 and 2 x 100w 2700ks.

Checked your grow and it looks so much better then mines and were both first timers too!

Day 18

So 2 days after flush, don't know what to think. Might recover or not, i'm not sure.

Plant 1

Prolly the most healthiest of them all. Seems like only the middle leaves have browning tips and curling upwards.

IMG_002441.JPG

IMG_003240.JPG

IMG_003338.JPG

Plant 2

Sickest of them all. 2 sets of those leaves turned 90% brown and are actually dropping onto a healthy leaf underneath it. I'm worry its blocking the light to the bottom leaf, Im comtemplating cutting it off.

If you look at it from the side. The stems look like a cross. LOL R.I.P.

IMG_002553.JPG

IMG_002643.JPG

IMG_003047.JPG

IMG_003136.JPG

Plant 3

This one looks alright but I do see some browning tips.

IMG_002746.JPG

IMG_002848.JPG

IMG_002942.JPG

I'm thinking of using nutes in the next watering.

IMG_003439.JPG

Day 19

The babes look much happier after introducing it 1/4 strength Big Bloom and Grow Big! Don't see new browning or crinkling. I learned my lesson on not to over-water now on.

Plant 1

IMG_004329.JPG
IMG_004434.JPG

If I would have a mother plant, this would be it. Biggest and most growth of the three.

Plant 2

IMG_004128.JPG
IMG_004232.JPG

This was the sickest one. I decided last night to cut off 2 of the branches that were 90% brown and crinkly. Looks like a skinny bitch.

Plant 3

IMG_003934.JPG
IMG_004035.JPG

2nd Healthiest. Very bushy, I believe its the Blue Cheese.

IMG_003538.JPG
IMG_003834.JPG

Also got some goodies after work today, went to a local hydro shop and got the Vortex 4" inline fan,
(3) 5 Gallon Smart Pots, a bag of small grained perlite, some ducting clamps and some bungee cording.

IMG_004535.JPG

I use to make home brew beer and decided to play around making cO2. Just added some sugar and active yeast and shoke it. Started bubbling today.

I was looking at LST the plants but, the stems are so compact, that I would be hard for me to tie these small things down somehow. Right now the CFLs are like an inch from the top of the plants. Should I raise them up a couple so the plant tries to reach for it and thus grow more vertically? :Namaste:

I would tie them down, it will displace certain auxins and promote side branches to become tops. Just secure your base and bend them....compact is good I would've t move my light. Here is one of the blue mystics I got going now she is topped and lst trained and also vary compact.
image3822.jpg

I would tie them down, it will displace certain auxins and promote side branches to become tops. Just secure your base and bend them....compact is good I would've t move my light. Here is one of the blue mystics I got going now she is topped and lst trained and also vary compact.
image3822.jpg

Dam that is so full and bushy. Did you lst it first and then top it? kinda wanna get your technique to getting fat buds.

Mono is spot on, the one in the pic was topped at its third node then as the 6 branches grew I trained from the start tying them down. Just have fun with it and remember a bloom cycle will be exponentially better with a good veg cycle. I'm still behind the learning curve but I'm running trying to catch up, if you get bored and want to stop by some time my journal is in my sig. Peace brother!

Day 20

So I took your advice and did the LST to all 3 plants. I have a roll of electrical wires and decided to use that as the tiedowns. I have alot of these Ikea hangars with clips at both ends and decided to pry them off and use the clamps.

IMG_005828.JPG

I found it useful to leave the U shape metal rod in the clamp. If I wanted to bend more of the plant, I could just push it downwards providing with more bend. It took me like 2 minutes to apply the lst, so I'd say it was fairly easy and quick.

IMG_004632.JPG
IMG_004833.JPG

IMG_004944.JPG
IMG_005234.JPG

IMG_005335.JPG
IMG_005437.JPG

IMG_005536.JPG

Was a little concerned about the heat exhibited by the CFLs, so I just wired a 120mm PC fan I had in my storage. And just by putting my hand on the exhaust, I can feel the heat coming out of them.

IMG_005630.JPG

I am changing my watering plan from 2-3 days to 3-4 days and with the Fox Farm nutes in it.

I'm starting out with 1/4 strength of the Fox Farms nute schedule in its pamphlet. How do you determine when to go 1/2 or full strength of it?

when I introduce nutrients i carefully watch the plants for negative signs from the nutrients, if no negative signs such as curled and burned edges are evident i then increase the nutrients as the plants grow. I would increase the nutrients to 1/2 strength from 1 -2 waterings later as the plants grow and carefully watch the plants for any negative signs.

Back
Top Bottom