White Widow Under 4 4' T-12 Fluorescents - Closet

Re: White Widow under 4 4' T-12 fluorescents-Closet

IMAG034618.jpg

Another update. I'm happy to say that the weirdness going on was probably nute burn most likely, it hasn't gotten better per se, but it seems to have stopped becoming worse. The yellowing has receeded, and the dying parts have dried out and ceased dying further. The new growth at the top isn't yellow anymore, ans has turned healthy a healthy shade of green :)! Based on pictures, close monitoring, and the fact that it seems to be getting better without changing any of her lighting/water/nutrients/etc.; I have determined it was most probably nute burn. Also, I trimmed the one frond with the folded over leaf, it was ripped somehow. (not shown, night cycle now :) but the picture was taken today.) Also flowering QUITE nice in my opinion.

I also want to trim two additional unhealthy leaves from her, does she have enough leaves to allow proper photosynthesis? The new growth is coming in quickly, will they make more leaves or just more bud sites?

On a side note, her name is Dimples :blalol:

I also want to trim two additional unhealthy leaves from her, does she have enough leaves to allow proper photosynthesis? The new growth is coming in quickly, will they make more leaves or just more bud sites?

On a side note, her name is Dimples :blalol:

The first 3 weeks or so of 12/12 plants go through the stretch I would wait until 3 weeks of flower before pruning more. I would tuck down them if they are shadeing a bud growing like that one you cut and that next one at the tie down. For future grows if you can lst in veg those lowers will grow faster and stay more even since the closet to the light gets the most growth hormone or growth. I would try and lean over that main topper after awhile before raising the light and putting things more level again and I hope those lowers keep stretching up.:cheer:

I've added 2 cfls (26 actual watts) since about a week ago. I bought pH strips and determined that my water was at 7.2 (48hr or more evaporated city water) how do I fix this?? A few days later I noticed signs of heat stress, and observed temperatures over 80 degrees. Puzzled, and quite frustrated, I decided the best thing to do would be to lift the curtain during lights on. I am now recovering from the nute burn, and the heat stress, and what appears to be a deficiency (purpling stalk/stems.) All in all, she is still flowering and smells absolutely wonderful. The trichomes are many, and they are huge! Easily seen from a side view of the sugar leaves. Such a great learning experience. Pics later!!

Hey AlteredTuning I use tap water also and have ph kit for raising or lowering. I also use a fertilizer that does it by itself. Its nice if you could get a kit that kinda has liquid ph test solution also like the Gen Hydro one I have. I'm looking forward to the photos and good job keeping temps in check :thumb:

IMAG041013.jpg
new lights and a side shot. Sugar shots when I get home from work :D

Also this was about 5 days ago, she has grown a LOT since

I've been lazy about this, but I'm about to put a ton of pictures up. 9 days until the chop! :D

IMAG043714.jpg
IMAG043414.jpg
IMAG043512.jpg
IMAG043315.jpg

I went through some additional nute burn, phosphorus deficiency, and who knows all what else. She's been a pain and I'm ready for grow number 2! Random bag seed from 5 or 6 years ago. I'm

The 4 pictures above are a couple weeks old, pics from today in a bit

IMAG044810.jpg
IMAG043613.jpg
IMAG04978.jpg
First one is days ago, all the bottom most buds have been harvested and vaporized, then there's a bud from that, bottom most was just after watering yesterday

That last big bud looks good there :thumb:
How long do you think she has ?
Remember when you start those seeds you might want those 6 -8 weeks of veg first meaning alot longer time to buds on that with flower time.So if you could start those anytime before this widow is chopped it thats much sooner.If thats your only light you could still sprout them under it at 12/12 and when flowering is done add another or more hours.I use gas lantern routine GLR hours 12 hours light on 5.5 hours off then one hour light on and 5.5 hours off for my veg under a t5 4 footer ballast.

Interesting photoperiod you have there! I was going to chop in 8 days, however I did some research today that informed me it needed 64 to 67 days for a white widow, so I'll be harvesting in about 12-14 days. Also, upon closer inspection, some trichomes are fully milk colored while others are still clear. I'm extremely nearsighted (without glasses I can see about 8 inches in front of my face! Lol) and I think it gives me better zoom, I can see them perfectly with my bare eyes and I don't need to buy a microsocpe! Also, there is an app for android with an awesome magnifier.

I would say waiting a couple more weeks would make it alot different/ stronger than your other sample harvests probably. It is wierd those hours but I have found them to work for me just fine.I cant explain shet but these words won my heart that I found on this site
post #82 on this completed journal

something i found over at UK420:

The Gas Lantern Routine

This information will seem quite revolutionary to growers who have been using the standard cycles to produce cannabis, seemingly with little or no trouble at all. Actually, in a grow that more closely mimics the outdoor growing environment under indoor lighting conditions, the plants may be maintained in vegetative cycle using only a total of 13 hours of light daily, which dramatically reduces the cost of production.

The less is more approach of the Gas Lantern Routine provides the growing plant with adequate darkness to promote health, and by inserting a full hour of light in the center of the dark period, the plants are tricked, and neither flower nor express hermaphrodites. The growing plants get more than the average amount of rest, thus reducing stress, and improving plant yield, overall performance, and medicinal quality.

Seedlings and Cuttings

The Gas Lantern Routine is applicable in seedling phases of plant growth. As stated before, nowhere in nature does the springtime ever provide an 18-hour photosynthesis length; rather, the growing spring light may in fact be 12 hours or less. Lighting for seedlings and cuttings needs to be bright, but compact fluorescent or T5 lighting may be used while in the seedling phase. Rooted mature cuttings can immediately light with HID lighting.

The Vegetative Schedule

This method is quite simple: 12 hours of light, followed by five and one half hours of darkness, a single hour of light exactly, and then a second period of five and one half hours of darkness. Placing a full hour of light in the very center of a 12-hour dark period tricks the plant and interrupts the buildup up of sensitive floral hormones, which would normally trigger flowering by destroying them. The grower simply raises the plants to the desired size before switching to the fall schedule to bloom.

Using this method, vegetative duration may be also reduced, and with a shorter growth cycle comes more frequent and better production. Vegetative cycles can be shortened by one to two weeks, and flowering may also be shortened a week or more using this method in con- junction with a diminishing light schedule.

For patients growing their own medicine or for compassionate cannabis providers, production turnover may be increased from four to five crops per year or more using rotation, and power consumption can be reduced even further by the use of high-intensity fluorescent lighting during vegetation, and overall, power consumption savings can be 50 percent or more.

The Flowering Schedule

Plants that have been grown up using the Gas Lantern Routine are now supercharged with floral hormones, and ready to go into flower with the slightest provocation. The interruption of the dark period has been destroying enough of the naturally building hormones to keep the plant from expressing sex, and the well-rested plant now has plenty of stored nutrients and energy to finish its life cycle and flower. Triggering the plants is essentially just a matter of removing the interrupting light period, so the plants may now experience the full buildup of hormones that will trigger blooming.

In keeping with providing all the correct organic biological and environmental needs of the plant, the diminishing fall schedule should be employed to take full advantage of the hormonal preparation created by using the Gas Lantern Routine. The diminishing hours of light in nature trigger acceleration in the production of hormones in the plant, making it flower with increasing speed and power.

The Diminishing Lighting Schedule

The diminishing fall schedule begins with an evenly halved light schedule, using 12 hours for the first two weeks to trigger the plant into bloom, and then further reducing the lighting for increasing darkness time by one half hour every week.

The final week of flowering will provide the plants with a mere nine hours of light, with 15 hours of darkness, forcing a resulting final explosive hormonal buildup. This sends the plant into blooming overdrive and produces resin far beyond the normal plant’s limits.
When the Gas Lantern Routine and Diminishing Light Schedule are used together, they create healthier, more naturally robust plants. These important and historical botanical techniques are soon going to become very important techniques in the coming years as medicinal cannabis research continues to advance. When viewed from cost of production, organics, and medicinal needs, the methods currently being promoted can be seen counter to the interests of growing healthy plants. Understanding your plants is the best way to grow the best medicine, and looking for solutions to growing problems by observing nature always provides the right answers.

Pro:

Saves electricity (11hrs of saving from 24/0, 5hrs of saving from 18/6)
Promote healthy plants. Any deficiency it has the plant will be able to bounce back with new growth after adjustment is made
Promote plants growth, 2x more than 18/6, and 3-4x more from 24/0
Cuttings will root much faster with thicker roots and more hairs
Clones under bloom (12/12) will induce flowering much sooner
Less on hours = less heat = stealth

Con:

Must have good ventilation if the tent is closed or the tent has to be left open for the 1hr on between the dark cycle.
Must have good odor control. Healthy plants produce more aroma even in veg.
Plants in small container may get root bound due to rapid growth

Some tips using GLR (theory):

Have the light on a timer so the on/off is consistent daily. Manual on/off may induce flowering.
Use mix light or MH. Try not to use just HPS. The spectrum from HPS may induce flowering even with the 1 hour on between the dark cycle.
For the 1 hour on use a cheap light source like Fluorescent light or CFL instead of using HID light. Have it on a separate timer only turn on 1hr between the dark cycle and have the HID light set at 12/12. Normally with any other light cycle the ballast is turned on once in 24hrs, with GLR it turned on twice. This may shorten the lifespan of the ballast and bulb. If you decided to run Fluo/CFL then make sure the tent is well lid any shaded area or area left in the dark may induce flowering. The 1 hour on between dark cycle help destroy floral hormone, lack of light will not be able to destroy the hormone and will send your plants in bloom.

IMAG051910.jpg
IMAG05179.jpg
Imine!1515.jpg
IMAG05147.jpg
IMAG05138.jpg
IMAG05129.jpg

It was quite low yielding, due to deficiencies/nute burn/ low light/small size/noob grower/etc. But a fantastically fun experience that produced DANK buds that are ALL mine! They just dried out enough to smoke, and its the sweetest tasting bud I've ever burned. I'm starting a new batch of mystery seeds from a high quality strain. I got them from a buddy who is an absolute connoisseur so I don't doubt their potency. If he saved them the bud was PHENOMENAL. I may or may not start a new journal, I'm bad about keeping up with it. Thanks everyone for your help and support! Especially kingjohnc and closetorganic!!

Back
Top Bottom