Why vegging further from lamp?

Leonwak

Hello community, i recently got a LED viparspectra 600, it says in the manual 28-32" for vegging and 20-24" for flowering, i was wondering why is it that in vegging it has to be further, i have my 20 days old seedlings or young plants @ 28 and they seem to be liking it, should i put them a bit further and let them grow into it or not? the plants were actually started under sun and put under the lights abt a week ago. would it be better if i put them further or could i even put them a bit closer?

I use Viparspectra lights and Mars Hydro of that size and often don't notice to raise them till my plants have grown well within 28"-32". What I see when I let them get way too close is they tend to droop and then go crispy around the edges...light burn! But I don't have that happen until I'm within a foot or less typcially. I imagine I'm running 15"-20" on average.

Hi Leonwak....I've always went with the rule of thumb... If you put your hand under the Led and after 5mins or less your hand gets warm or hot then the plants will be too hot under it as well. I find manufactures have different specs on how far to keep thier lights from your plants which can make things more complex then they need to be! lol :)

I use Viparspectra lights and Mars Hydro of that size and often don't notice to raise them till my plants have grown well within 28"-32". What I see when I let them get way too close is they tend to droop and then go crispy around the edges...light burn! But I don't have that happen until I'm within a foot or less typcially. I imagine I'm running 15"-20" on average.
it says PAR @ 24 is abt 488, how much is the best for early vegging? my plants are abt 20 days from seeds.

Attachments

• 1592154769243..jpg
    1592154769243..jpg
    940 KB · Views: 112
What medium are you growing in? The lowers are looking yellow. I’d say you could raise the light slightly from 24”. I’d suggest going with what @Pbass said. Seedlings that small IMO only need around 250 umols. During veg I’m typically around 26” give or take a few inch.
im in organic soil, they were started outdoors actually, i beleive the lower leaves were like that before going under the lights, dont know but they seem to be doing well, even the lower leaves kind of got better under the light. They are currently @28", i suppose way less than sunlight, should i go to 26" or just wait for them to grow into it?

Recommended par for young vegging plants is around 300-400.
Later veg close to when your going to flip to flower is 600-700.
Flowering it should be around 900 for best performance.

Id let them grow then, don’t adjust the lights let them grow into the distance.
Are you planning on giving them nutrients?
i dont have a clear record, but i remembering soaking the seeds abt mid may, so i think they have been out of the soil surface abt 20 days. they were outside since but i just got abt a week ago the LED so they been under it.

Id let them grow then, don’t adjust the lights let them grow into the distance.
Are you planning on giving them nutrients?
i dont have a clear record, but i remembering soaking the seeds abt mid may, so i think they have been out of the soil surface abt 20 days. they were outside since but i just got abt a week ago the LED so they been under it.

The new growth looks pretty good, I’d just be concerned that it isn’t draining the lowers of nutrients. If you aren’t giving any additional nutrients.
I just started giving them 1/2 the dose of the organic feed, will be giving them full dose next watering in abt 2 days, i think they were kind of hurt by high temps and strong sun couple of days before going under the lights. but i hope next feeding will do wonders.

lower leaves yellowing and some purple spots showing on them, what is that?

Attachments

• 1592261341927..jpg
    1592261341927..jpg
    902 KB · Views: 111
  • 1592261359991..jpg
    1592261359991..jpg
    1,017.3 KB · Views: 98
Hello community, i recently got a LED viparspectra 600, it says in the manual 28-32" for vegging and 20-24" for flowering, i was wondering why is it that in vegging it has to be further, i have my 20 days old seedlings or young plants @ 28 and they seem to be liking it, should i put them a bit further and let them grow into it or not? the plants were actually started under sun and put under the lights abt a week ago. would it be better if i put them further or could i even put them a bit closer?
Because they are powerful lights and can kill a seedling or young veg plant if too close. Flowering and adult veg plants want and can handle more intense light.

If they arent complaining then no need to raise it

lower leaves yellowing and some purple spots showing on them, what is that?
The whole photo is purple.

Please take a few more photos under natural light or the room light. Turn off the grow lights and leave the room light on. A white or natural light will help make out the purple spots you notice. Also, natural light will help us see the shade of yellow which helps to pinpoint a problem, if there is one.

Have a great day.

Hello :ciao: I have used the same 600 Led Viparspectra for 2 years now, this being my 7th grow in a tent.
I have found that once the seeds have sprouted, it is safe to lower them to 22 - 24” distance while in veg.
While in flower, I keep the distance to 16 - 18” .
I have been averaging 5 oz per plant (grown in 5 gallon pots, 4 plants per grow. )
Very happy with the light, all my grows have harvested around 18 - 20 ounces :thumb:

The whole photo is purple.

Please take a few more photos under natural light or the room light. Turn off the grow lights and leave the room light on. A white or natural light will help make out the purple spots you notice. Also, natural light will help us see the shade of yellow which helps to pinpoint a problem, if there is one.

Have a great day.
i dont know if you can see but just the tips and the contour of some leaves seem to be slightly less green, i dont know if its me or if it is normal, or if it is the lights, they are @ 26 inches currently. the yellow leaves with purple spots are the first set and second set of serrated leaves, maybe they were overwatered or the previous container hadnt enought nutrients, they have been in these 1 gal for a couple of days, they seem to be better, i guess ill have to wait a couple more days to know? i will be checking the plant in the middle to see if the light burns since it is the one getting the most saturated light, but i dont think @26 inches it would be the lights.

Attachments

• 1592773764664..jpg
    1592773764664..jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 1592773791822..jpg
    1592773791822..jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 1592773841993..jpg
    1592773841993..jpg
    504 KB · Views: 103
  • 1592773861892..jpg
    1592773861892..jpg