You ever find it to be just too bushy?

McSmokin

Hello all.

I have a problem that I haven't heard of yet, so I'll post here and see what the Wizards of the Forum can come up with.

I started my plants Dec 1. Since they popped, I've been BOMBARDING them with 600W MH light, originally dimmed down to 500W for the first couple o' weeks. I think that light overdose did some FUNKY things to my plants. They are now 5 weeks old, about 9 inches tall, and working on their 7th node. To make matters a little worse, I F.I.M.'d the tops about a week ago. It's my first grow, too much light, not enough patience, lesson learned.

I posted on my journal about wanting to increase my internodal(is that a word?) spacing. I'd be stoked if the plant stopped its bushy grow for a few days, and shot straight up. A fella on my other thread said something about "pony tailing), and suggested to post here.

Anybody know how to ponytail a plant, or know how to explain to a Neanderthal what ponytailing is? Any other ideas on increasing height? I've cut the light back a bit, dimmed it down, and am trying to do a weaker nutrient feed/ higher temperature environment schedule. But I don't know if that's the key... I need help. Any help. I'll roll a joint in your honor. =]:volcano-smiley::volcano-smiley::volcano-smiley::volcano-smiley:

:Namaste:Peace.:Namaste:

I'd raise the light if you want them to stretch, but I prefer a compact plant over a rangy girl. Check out Atrain's journals. He's the ponytailer.
I don't believe ponytailing is designed to make the plants taller. Just the opposite: It gets more light to the upper (but not top) leaves to increase their growth laterally.

Honestly that's what I need. I have a bunch of tiny leaves that can't get any bigger because the first fan leaves are bogarting all of the light.

Thanks Major PITA for the link. There's lots of LST stuff in that one. Guess it's time to refill the cup and start learning some stuff.

Peace.

600 - 700 nm red light promotes stem elongation. Could add a red LED or a HPS bulb will probably work too.

Don't be afraid to defoliate the excess leaves if it's too crowded. I take off a fistful every day during veg and the first few weeks of flowering to keep the bud sites exposed and leaves from sweating on themselves. You can also control the height of different branches by taking off more leaves which will slow them down a bit and let others catch up.

Here's an example of a more heavy defoliation session after it really did get too bushy. But they bounce back 24 hours later with more balance.

IMG_175321.JPG
IMG_175620.JPG

IMG_182024.JPG

If it's a digital ballast, put in the HPS bulb for a week or 2???

I'm definitely going to go that route. From what I've researched, there's not a significant difference between an $80 bulb and a $20 bulb. That most of the price goes into the brand name instead of the performance. Can I get some opinions on that one? Because I haven't gone out for a HPS bulb quite yet. I really don't want to skimp on quality, but like to have more money to spend at the local watering hole. Can I have my cake and eat it too? =]

600 - 700 nm red light promotes stem elongation. Could add a red LED or a HPS bulb will probably work too.

Don't be afraid to defoliate the excess leaves if it's too crowded. I take off a fistful every day during veg and the first few weeks of flowering to keep the bud sites exposed and leaves from sweating on themselves. You can also control the height of different branches by taking off more leaves which will slow them down a bit and let others catch up.

Here's an example of a more heavy defoliation session after it really did get too bushy. But they bounce back 24 hours later with more balance.

IMG_175321.JPG
IMG_175620.JPG

IMG_182024.JPG

Honestly Versai, I'm freakin' terrified of messing up the plant by not knowing what to prune out, and what to leave. So I compromised, and cut off leaf tips and began ponytailing/LST. Hopefully that, mixed with a warmer spectrum, will set these girls in motion.

Pictures on the way.

So I'm getting comfortable with trimming, especially after I saw how quick the plants bounce back, and how much energy was going into shade that didn't need to be there. Thanks for the advice, I ran with it. Plants are looking happier now, and the shoots are less bushy.

Been low stress training with string and the tape-to-leaf method and backed my light off as much as possible, everything is improving.

Thanks again for the help!

Peace

Back
Top Bottom