Bag Seed - Soil - CFL - Tent - Grow

EventHorizon

Hey there! So about 2 weeks ago I started a bag seed plant... and this is what it's under.

20150819_233514_1_.jpg

It's growing in a 32x32x63 inch diamond mylar Quictent that I got off eBay for about $138 Canadian with free shipping. The tent fits right into the corner of my apartment at the end of the couch... so I can sit on the couch arms while looking at my grow.

I have 2 cats but they are banned from going into the tent. I used to grow in my closet so I figure having cats around... a well ventilated tent is the way to go.

20150918_141306.jpg

This is my CFL setup I have running in the tent... on the left is just a power bar hanging. A USB to outlet fan running on the lights/plant. On the right I have 2 socket splitters hooked up. The lights attached to those are

3 x 26w 6500K
1 x 100w 6500K
1 x 40w 5000K
1 x 23w 2700K

Nice mixed spectrum if you ask me.

20150918_140031.jpg

And this is the 13 day old plant itself... if you look at the bottom of the plant, it goes sideways. I was gone up until yesterday so I wasn't able to rotate the plant or offer any support... plus I did minor water damage by flooding it before I left. But if you ask me... it's still turning out alright despite the stem bend.

It's growing in Miracle Grow's Enriched Potting Mix (I know, I know... it's not Fox Farm) and I'll be starting it on minor nutes next watering... 1 or 2 drops of Schultz Liquid Plant Food (I don't care what people say... it works wonders and is hard to burn your plant, which is why my last plant died getting bloom nutes too soon.)

----------------------

Just by looking at it so far.... what do you think the genetics of this plant are? Indica/Sativa/Ruderalis?

I know you already potted it and wanna stick with the soil you have. But I think it would be worth the time and money to spend $20 on a bag of good soil and swapping over to some smart pots(fabric). Soil just looks thick and between a higher grade soil and smart pots it should help oxygenate the roots more. Just my 2cents.

I'm relatively new and also on my second grow but I'm subbed and if you have any questions I'll help if I can.

Check out my grows if you want.

But I think it would be worth the time and money to spend $20 on a bag of good soil and swapping over to some smart pots(fabric).

To tell you the truth I've used a lot of other soils and I've never had the results I get from Miracle Grow. I find most soils hold too much water and end up getting muddy when you water it... which leads to mold and insect issues.

I've considered the fabric bags but honestly I don't know if it worth it... I hear they dry out too fast. What's your take on them?

20150919_124942.jpg

Today is veg week 2. I trans-planted it to a larger pot... I also started her on nutes, 2 drops of Schultz Liquid Plant Food per 500ml watering. I plan on topping it next week.

Check out my grows if you want.

You should add a link to them in your signature.

-deleted-

Can I ask.... if you got nutrients in the soil why are you adding nutes yourself already?

Honestly I don't really need to but when the plant gets older, it requires more than is in the soil so supplementation is recommended.

I just start it on low doses early so I don't end up shocking the plant.

Oddly enough I do have links in my signature but when I post on your thread they don't show. If you're having good luck with that soil stick with it.

I switch to smart pots from plastic and I really do like them more. $5 for a 5 gallon doesn't seem bad to me and they are washable and reusable. I feel like the air pruning is good enough of a benefit to switch. Maybe try just one plant in one next time and see if you like the results.

I switch to smart pots from plastic and I really do like them more. $5 for a 5 gallon doesn't seem bad to me and they are washable and reusable. I feel like the air pruning is good enough of a benefit to switch. Maybe try just one plant in one next time and see if you like the results.

I need to buy 2 or 3 new pots anyways... so I'll probably try them out on my next grow.

Today is veg day 17 and I just topped the plant...

-=BEFORE=-
20150922before_202625.jpg

-=AFTER=-
20150922after_202724.jpg

I noticed my bottom starter leaves are turning half yellow and starting to wilt a bit... I know this is normal, but this early in the grow?

I think it could actually be minor nutrient burn... I gave it quite a dose last night.

20150923_113711.jpg

Any ideas?

**I also let it get pretty cold in my room over night for a couple nights... had the window open when it frosted.

20150926_124533.jpg

Today is veg week 3 (21 days of light)... and her nodes have been coming up nice. There was almost no growth between sets about 4 days ago when I topped it so this is pretty much all new growth. I also chopped off the bottom two starter leaves that were turning yellow.

I just dont understand early feeding, its a mistake new growers usually make...... thinking if there bad lets throw another bucket of nutes at em im sure there feel better then. I go all thru veg without even touching a nute bottle..... well I do give humic acid but thats a additive for roots etc. I realise you may not use the same soil but most nutes which are added are set to last the plant 4-6 weeks. Everyone will do it there own way I guess. You most definitely shouldnt be yellowing yet, lack of food does cause any of the leaf to wilt, only yellow. Nute burn can show up as a few things but mainly at the very tips. Id probaly say you got a lock out of some sort by adding nutrient 2 early. Its hard for me to say though as im no expert and can only advise through my own experience n the pictures are not great. can you get some top down pics rather than the side on ones please. Keep it up fella alls swell so far

Herb :yummy:

Id probaly say you got a lock out of some sort by adding nutrient 2 early.

I start it on low doses early so I don't shock the plant... it'll be getting the full dose of veg nutes by veg week 5 (I'll flower after 1 full dose). The thing is I don't "need" the nutes to grow... but I need them for what the plant truly requires. I've seen medical soil in packs like 35-40-30 and my soil is no where near that. I figure as long as it's not burning the plant, why not?

I think it could have been lock out though. I trans-planted it into a larger pot a few days before and probably did some shock damage. The rest of the plant is fine.

I wouldnt want to mix 2 types of nutrients, they may have diff levels for a start. If the plant needs more it will tell you, itll begin to go a pale colour. The nutrients are added for a reason, to help grow the plant for a certain time, trust me they put enough in, if they didnt what would be the point exactly............... heres some soil, its got nutes but your have to put your own in anyway

Herb :yummy:

If you really want to add your own nutrients try to find some soil without nutrients already in, youre risking burning the plant or causing a lockout otherwise right at the beginning

The local hydro shop sells a huge bag of Pro-Mix Nutrient-less Soil for about $60... but I think I'll go with their Sea Pre-Mix next time, forget who makes it.

20151001_160324.jpg

Today is veg day 26 (almost week 4). The bend in the stem ended up being an issue again so I just let it grow sideways. It's already topped so now I guess it's a cheap natural LST. I plan on vegging it for about 7-8 weeks... long enough for my Northern Lights in the same tent to come up.

20151001_160339.jpg

Back
Top Bottom