Advice on watering seedlings - Any advice appreciated

Tmac23

Hey newbie here I planted my seeds on Saturday in a 5 gal fabric pot they finally sprouted a couple days ago ... now that they have sprouted should I start watering the whole pot until water is pouring from the bottom? So far I have been soaking a napkin in water and squeezing the water out around the seedlings

Welcome Tmac!
First off, I've never sprouted seeds into 5 gal of soil. I like to up-pot in order to build a bigger root ball. It also makes this watering thing a little easier.
Assuming you have good high-porosity soil, I'd water the seedlings thoroughly, but not to the point of runoff this early. Now wait. Let the soil dry out some. With new babies you don't want them to wilt or be stressed. After they have grown for a couple of weeks, is when I start wet/dry cycles to get the roots really growing. The dripping napkin method sounds like too little and too much trouble. If your soil doesn't drain well, it might be appropriate.
5 gal is a lot of dirt for a little plant. It will spend a bunch of time and energy looking for the bottom. Don't expect a ton of growth up top right away. It will be busy building roots. YMMV. :goodluck:

Hi Tmac23

Welcome to 420 Magazine and the community of members that gathers here.

Not sure I can add much to Major PITA's response, but I am curious if you watered the container thoroughly when the seeds were planted? I ask as it may change the appropriate response. If five gallons of soil was thoroughly wet down only 5 days ago, I would not envision it being anywhere close to dry yet and it may not be necessary to water your seedlings at all.

Be well and happy growing!

No I didn't water the container all the way through before hand I just soaked my seeds over night and then planted...I took a napkin filled with water and dampened the area where I was going to plant the seed then dampened again after I covered it with soil... And for the past few days I've still been using the napkin filed with water to dampen around the sprout

I agree with TanR.
If you watered well when you planted, they should not need anything. My seedlings and up-pots usually go about two weeks w/o water after a good drench.

Tmac23,

Based on the informatiom that the seeds weren't watered in, then I suggest Major PITA's earlier advice is likely to lead to good results. Water them thoroughly, but not to the point of run off, and then leave them alone for several days if not a week. There are some other variables in your grow environment that we aren't aware of (i.e. temperature, humidity, lighting, porosity of soil) that will effect the time between waterings but if forced to guess if your girls need water, err on the side of letting them dry out rather than overwatering. It's the toughest part (for me anyway) of learning or improving one grow technique, but will pay dividends with bigger roots and thus higher yield in the end.

Be well and happy growing!

I'm growing in a grow tent The temp has been between 70-80 degrees...humidity between 60-80... I'm growing in fox farm ocean forest soil and I have 6 CFLs 23w

Thanks Tmac23,

That info does provide a little more insight into your environment. So if I'm understanding correctly, the soil in the containers has only been provided with a small amount of water, squeezed from a napkin a couple times. I'm going to suggest for reference sake, we call your soil "dry" in it's current state.

Lift the containers and feel their dry weight. If necessary put them on a scale and get their actual dry weight. You can use this as a comparison later, after watering thoroughly and deciding when to water again. You will want to allow the containers to dry to as close to this this "dry" weight as possible before watering again.

Back
Top Bottom