Seedling advice

Jhuck

Ok guys , I think I killed my 5 autoflowers planting them too deep, over a week in cups and nothing :( , 2 ofy five photos did crack, did sprout, and have been planted in Dixie cups in Miracle Grow ( all we had and old head insisted it would be fine) these things are just teeny tiny sprouts at the moment, onlynone has one set of fan leaves, I have been leaving them in a milk crate in the sun for a week now and checking hygrometer to keep water in the green zone, that has meant watering them at least once a day typically , maybe two for some, have been putting spring water directly out of a cup u til it is standing, it immediately drains and the meter is in the sweet spot. Today my roots organic soil came in, roots organic nutes starter kit arriving Monday. So my question is this, when would it be safe to transplant them to a breakaway two gallon transplanting fabric pots, or if it would be better, a five gallon? I hate them being in that miracle gro, and it stays raining so the only light they have is the aerogarden lights at night , my grow light is out at the grow site and I am stuck here with what I have on hand for the next week. Amy advice in proceeding would be deeply appreciated, I am growing Bruce Banner 2.0.

Ok guys , I think I killed my 5 autoflowers planting them too deep, over a week in cups and nothing :( , 2 ofy five photos did crack, did sprout, and have been planted in Dixie cups in Miracle Grow ( all we had and old head insisted it would be fine) these things are just teeny tiny sprouts at the moment, onlynone has one set of fan leaves, I have been leaving them in a milk crate in the sun for a week now and checking hygrometer to keep water in the green zone, that has meant watering them at least once a day typically , maybe two for some, have been putting spring water directly out of a cup u til it is standing, it immediately drains and the meter is in the sweet spot. Today my roots organic soil came in, roots organic nutes starter kit arriving Monday. So my question is this, when would it be safe to transplant them to a breakaway two gallon transplanting fabric pots, or if it would be better, a five gallon? I hate them being in that miracle gro, and it stays raining so the only light they have is the aerogarden lights at night , my grow light is out at the grow site and I am stuck here with what I have on hand for the next week. Amy advice in proceeding would be deeply appreciated, I am growing Bruce Banner 2.0.
Hello @Jhuck hope your having a good day.
From what I understand you asking when you can transplant?
First of all its difficult to understand your setup. Sorry :Namaste:
Also if you are watering them everyday your drowning them.
I like to get a good vigorous root growth going before I transplant any baby.
But if you have them in a soaking wet cup of old miracle grow you might be better off to move to your new pots and soil sooner.
I also believe if your moving to a final pot right away bigger is better.
I don't like to grow anything out in a 2 gal.
You will need more room for roots to get a bigger plant and better harvest.
Have you had a chance to look at any watering tutorials.
Water kills ladies if not done properly.
I can get you a link if you need.
Also they don't need much light.
A t5 florescent will work fine for now.
Hopefully that helps you a bit.
Bill

Miracle Grow is too moist for the ladies. Fox Farm’s Ocean Forest or Happy Frog is better. We speak from experience here. Planting deep is tough on them to sprout. Did you soak seeds in water for 24 hours b4 moving to soil? Look at the tutorials on this site. Emilya has some guud ones. Best of luck to you and the ladies.

OK, let's start with germinating. I don't do all the soak in water stuff others do. I feel it's a waste of time. I would advise starting in 1 gallon pots. I use to do the solo cup thing; until I found what 30 days from seed does in a 1 gal. pot.
12-108.JPG
12-109.JPG

So fill your 1 gal. pot to the top with soil. Water the soil till run off. Take your little finger & poke a hole only as deep as your finger nail. Drop seed in, cover loosely with soil. In 3-4 days they will sprout. I don't water until they pop up above ground. After that I use Emilya's watering method. No Nutes as they aren't old enough yet. I have about 99% success this way.

I personally will never use Miracle Grow again. Used it once & had a pretty bad gnat infestation. Soil had larvae in it.
Besides that, a lot of it has time released nutes & the nutes in it aren't exactly designed for growing weed.

I wouldn't up-pot with only 1 set of leaves though. Pretty sure it would die from transplant shock. Maybe once it has 3-4 sets of leaves. Do you pH your water to 6.3 - 6.5 ? Do you let your water sit for 24 hours before using it ?
Got any pics of the plants ?

But if you have them in a soaking wet cup of old miracle grow you might be better off to move to your new pots and soil sooner.
Bill
So basically the needs of a seedling are less than the generic amount my hygrometer thinks plants in general need? I was afraid of that possibility, I have taken them out of the rain and will refrain from watering more than every other day , common sense just told me that after a few days of just puring the water in that it could potentially be traumatic to them, I think it may have contributed to the demise of autoflower seedlings. Luckily by the time I planted the photoperiod seedlings I realized this, and they have only been overwatered for a day , and I will seek out a watering tutorial stat. My only concern for my two surviving photos that bloomed is should I leave them in miracle gro, or chance transferring them to my Roots Organic that just came in so they can get some good nutes asap. They are both tiny sprouts still, and only one has a set of fan leaves even, I can take pics of needed, I hope that this better explains the situation, and thank you!

OK, let's start with germinating. I don't do all the soak in water stuff others do. I feel it's a waste of time. I would advise starting in 1 gallon pots. I use to do the solo cup thing; until I found what 30 days from seed does in a 1 gal. pot.
12-108.JPG
12-109.JPG

So fill your 1 gal. pot to the top with soil. Water the soil till run off. Take your little finger & poke a hole only as deep as your finger nail. Drop seed in, cover loosely with soil. In 3-4 days they will sprout. I don't water until they pop up above ground. After that I use Emilya's watering method. No Nutes as they aren't old enough yet. I have about 99% success this way.

I personally will never use Miracle Grow again. Used it once & had a pretty bad gnat infestation. Soil had larvae in it.
Besides that, a lot of it has time released nutes & the nutes in it aren't exactly designed for growing weed.

I wouldn't up-pot with only 1 set of leaves though. Pretty sure it would die from transplant shock. Maybe once it has 3-4 sets of leaves. Do you pH your water to 6.3 - 6.5 ? Do you let your water sit for 24 hours before using it ?
I can upload pics in just a few and the pH of my water is reading about 7.5 ( not ideal I know) and typically yes, it sits for at least a day, mostly they have been getting rain water which I haven't ph'ed yet. I really wish I could get them spring water , but I can't find any nearby, I rideshare and the wife is currently out of town with the vehicle .

I can upload pics in just a few and the pH of my water is reading about 7.5 ( not ideal I know) and typically yes, it sits for at least a day, mostly they have been getting rain water which I haven't ph'ed yet. I really wish I could get them spring water , but I can't find any nearby, I rideshare and the wife is currently out of town with the vehicle .
Oh, and thank you so much for the info, will follow through as advised.

Miracle Grow is too moist for the ladies. Fox Farm’s Ocean Forest or Happy Frog is better. We speak from experience here. Planting deep is tough on them to sprout. Did you soak seeds in water for 24 hours b4 moving to soil? Look at the tutorials on this site. Emilya has some guud ones. Best of luck to you and the ladies.
I did soak them, and thanks, I will be checking the tutorials out and proceeding as advised.

Bill
**2 gal transplanter planters** side is Velcro, intended only to provide a more shallow root space till I up pot , though I have 7 gallon ones on the way that I may start using first transplant.

IMG_20210721_093507290.jpg

12-108.JPG
12-109.JPG

Think that starting them in these 2 gallon transplant planters would be starting small enough?

whas up Jhuck?

Can we see a pic of this hygrometer??? most soil probe type meters are garbage and tell you nothing useful but before we condem it to the junk drawer we should at least see what you’ve got….

Same for water ph, what kind of pen or strips do you use? Just a quick gear check to make sure you are relying on good devices…. hygrometer should be battery powered and read temps and rh kinda betting you’ve got probe meter. Not here to embarrass you but to help you get started up right.

Most tap water is fine, draw it in a bucket and let it sit overnight to offgas chlorine, chloramine can be mitigated with 1/4 of 1000mg vitamin c tablet in 5 gallons water

rainwater should be fine with 1 exception, houses less than 5 years old with asphalt shingle roof, they use benzene & harsh petroleum products out the wazoo to make roof shingles.

that’s good info from our man Buds Buddy, he knows the deal

I don't think you need to pH rain water. @Bill284 do you ? Really not sure about that one.
7.5 pH is way too high & could be your issue or part of your issue. Let the cup of soil dry completely before you water again. Should take 2-3 days. You may be drowning the roots. Do you have holes in the bottom of your cups for drainage ?

Think that starting them in these 2 gallon transplant planters would be starting small enough?

A 2 gal. would probably do fine. But I'd keep it in the 2 gal. 4 - 5 weeks before up-potting to the 7 gal. Keep it in the 7 gal. 2-3 weeks & flip to flower.

I have been growing for two years. Tried Miracle Grow because it worked outside for veggies. Killed our first clone wife had bought from overwatering. “It’s just a weed” a friend told me. Don’t overthink it. Keep it simple.
Got to agree. I use FFOF soil & Mega Crop. Doesn't get any easier.

typically rainwater is as good as it gets provided it’s not tainted from new roofing shingles however some gutters are covered with moss and algae but that shouldn’t do more than bring algae into the grow which isn’t detrimental at all.

agree everything I’ve read says no ph consideration necessary for rainwater

unless you grow at Chernobyl :laugh:

whas up Jhuck?

Can we see a pic of this hygrometer??? most soil probe type meters are garbage and tell you nothing useful but before we condem it to the junk drawer we should at least see what you’ve got….

Same for water ph, what kind of pen or strips do you use? Just a quick gear check to make sure you are relying on good devices…. hygrometer should be battery powered and read temps and rh kinda betting you’ve got probe meter. Not here to embarrass you but to help you get started up right.

Most tap water is fine, draw it in a bucket and let it sit overnight to offgas chlorine, chloramine can be mitigated with 1/4 of 1000mg vitamin c tablet in 5 gallons water

rainwater should be fine with 1 exception, houses less than 5 years old with asphalt shingle roof, they use benzene & harsh petroleum products out the wazoo to make roof shingles.

that’s good info from our man Buds Buddy, he knows the deal
It is indeed a garbage 10 dollar one from Lowe's , Will order better one today. Also, the autoflowers that I had given up on, one of them I dumped the cup out, out of sheer morbid curiosity what the hell was going on inside of that soil, I didn't see anything that looked like plant matter to me, just tossed a handful of the soul back in the cup, I walk over to the crate they were in to get said hygrometer, and THIS is going on, notice how it wasn't centered though? I very gingery cut the soil out and transferred it to a fresh cup with watered Roots Organic in it . Can anyone tell from this if it is a boy or a girl? The first two pics are the autoflower I just rescued, the other two are my two photoperiods individually, can anyone tell sexes on any of them? Thanks so much in advance guys , oh, and now I am about to sift through the other four cups like I did the one, lol.

IMG_20210721_100200128.jpg

IMG_20210721_095705406.jpg

IMG_20210721_095128835.jpg

IMG_20210721_094027124.jpg

IMG_20210721_094022043.jpg

typically rainwater is as good as it gets provided it’s not tainted from new roofing shingles however some gutters are covered with moss and algae but that shouldn’t do more than bring algae into the grow which isn’t detrimental at all.

agree everything I’ve read says no ph consideration necessary for rainwater

unless you grow at Chernobyl :laugh:
Not from new shingles , just a five gallon bucket in the middle of the yard

Ok that’s not hygrometer and it’s useless to use most any type of soil probe, they are notoriously inaccurate. Maybe use electronic kitchen scales weigh a solo cup of MG soil that’s bone dry and compare that to your solo cup of MG + seedlings. The difference is the water weight.

also that is not the proper device to check ph of your liquids - you need ph strips but ph pen is much better. Expensive ph pens are Hanna or Blue Labs and they have a bulb that must be kept wet plus you need 2 bottles of calibration fluid plus storage fluid. If the bulb dries out it’s expensive to replace. Or you could try cheap vivosun combo pack (ph pen & a ppm meter) for about $20.

put that probe by the grill for roasting hotdogs or marshmallows,

yep you are over watering by not waiting for soil to dry out….. gotta run but this crew will get you sorted.

way too early to sex them, most here start with feminized seeds so there is no need worry about gender. What is that? Doesn’t even look like weed seedling in pics 2 & 3….

hygrometer needs battery and most have cable for remote sensor. Hygrometer only reads air temp & relative humidity

Ok that’s not hygrometer and it’s useless to use most any type of soil probe, they are notoriously inaccurate. Maybe use electronic kitchen scales weigh a solo cup of MG soil that’s bone dry and compare that to your solo cup of MG + seedlings. The difference is the water weight.

also that is not the proper device to check ph of your liquids - you need ph strips but ph pen is much better. Expensive ph pens are Hanna or Blue Labs and they have a bulb that must be kept wet plus you need 2 bottles of calibration fluid plus storage fluid. If the bulb dries out it’s expensive to replace. Or you could try cheap vivosun combo pack a ph pen & a ppm meter) for about $20.

put that probe by the grill for roasting hotdogs or marshmallows,

yep you are over watering by not waiting for soil to dry out….. gotta run but this crew will get you sorted.

way too early to sex them, most here start with feminized seeds so there is no worry about gender.
Yes they are feminized, so I can house them together in the same room with no worries for the time being? And thanks for the advice on the meter, I will get a good one and just toss that one, I already have a nice set of digital grilling thermometers. Thanks for everything again!

Back
Top Bottom