Seedling advice

Also, this thing just showed up, I can just put the spikes right in the cup and program it to run I don't know,??? 7 seconds?? Every other day, right?

IMG_20210722_042016010.jpg

IMG_20210722_042956653.jpg
I don't think I'd use that while in Solo Cups. It takes very little water in a Solo & very easy to overwater. Another reason I think new growers should start in 1 gal. pots. Much easier for someone new to the game to water without overdoing it in a 1 gal. It's hard to judge the water amount in a Solo cup. You have more leeway with a 1 gal. because there's more soil. Most growers wont listen when you tell them to feed about a shot glass full of water every 3 days to a solo cup but if you tell them 12 oz. in a 1 gal. to start seeds they do. Got me ? Just something I've noticed over the years.

Found it on Amazon. The bad reviews were baad. Some plants died from overwatering. One person found a gallon of water had disappeared overnight. Then they went to a larger container and that was empty by am. One person found the connections inside were reversed. I’m going to pass on this one. Some may have to work out of town/state. They need something/ someone to watch their crop. I mean a lot of time is spent taking care of these weeds. I wouldn’t want to loose plants to a poor quality device. We have a frien that watered the girls a few times last summer. Emilya- when was your last vacation when you actually lost sight of your girls?

Buy an Irrigation Drip System 12 head (They are pretty cheap) One of the sponsors sells them & also gives them away in the contests, a Water Pump , a Res with fittings & a timer & build you a drip system that only pumps water for the amount of time you set your timer for.

Last year I ordered a programmable 8plug strip, 4 plugs one can program, other four are reg outlets. Ordered a four spigot fitting, heavy duty. Knobs above each to adjust flow. I am computer illiterate. I am on IPhone online. I cannot program things. Got a buzz going from the new brownies I made today. I have tried the “ poke a hole in the 2 liter pop bottle trick”. Drains too fast. Hate to have my friend come by to water. Wouldn’t want her falling down the basement steps. If the plants are young we take them to the cabin with us. Come October they should be too big to transport. They will have to stay home. Or we don’t go.

Found it on Amazon. The bad reviews were baad. Some plants died from overwatering. One person found a gallon of water had disappeared overnight. Then they went to a larger container and that was empty by am. One person found the connections inside were reversed. I’m going to pass on this one. Some may have to work out of town/state. They need something/ someone to watch their crop. I mean a lot of time is spent taking care of these weeds. I wouldn’t want to loose plants to a poor quality device. We have a frien that watered the girls a few times last summer. Emilya- when was your last vacation when you actually lost sight of your girls?
Mine seems to work fine, I try to go higher end when I can , but there was pretty much only one price range on these things, the one I found that one, that having been said, those reviews sound like a whole bunch of operator error to me.

Jhuck, what are these plants growing in? Buckets? Or flower pots? It looks like buckets. If so, did you drill wholes in them for drainage?

Your soil looks like mud in one or two of your pics.

They are in cups, the cups have drainage holes, and I dug down a foot or two, under a healthy tree, it looked like nice black soil at the moment with a flashlight on it and wet, when I compared colors it most definitely looks very brown compared to potting mix , those don't seem to be doing so well, they also got overwatered, I made the mistake of going by what a cheap soil meter called good moisture levels starting out, turns out I was drowning them for two days, the ones in potting soil bounced back, the ones in yard dirt, aren't gonna break the top at all it looks like :( all good, got more sprouting tap roots as we speak.)
Buy an Irrigation Drip System 12 head (They are pretty cheap) One of the sponsors sells them & also gives them away in the contests, a Water Pump , a Res with fittings & a timer & build you a drip system that only pumps water for the amount of time you set your timer for.
I actually have everything for a drip setup but an official resevoir , got this thing, extra tubing, spike, t fittings , clips , pump, just haven't set it up yet because I am afraid of setting the duration for too long and overwatering, any clue how long/ how often I should set it to dispense for seedlings?

Or is actual drip tubing that drips only, not spikes that dispense

They are in cups, the cups have drainage holes, and I dug down a foot or two, under a healthy tree, it looked like nice black soil at the moment with a flashlight on it and wet, when I compared colors it most definitely looks very brown compared to potting mix , those don't seem to be doing so well, they also got overwatered, I made the mistake of going by what a cheap soil meter called good moisture levels starting out, turns out I was drowning them for two days, the ones in potting soil bounced back, the ones in yard dirt, aren't gonna break the top at all it looks like :( all good, got more sprouting tap roots as we speak.)

I actually have everything for a drip setup but an official resevoir , got this thing, extra tubing, spike, t fittings , clips , pump, just haven't set it up yet because I am afraid of setting the duration for too long and overwatering, any clue how long/ how often I should set it to dispense for seedlings?
To be honest, No I don't know. I personally wouldn't use the drip system till I'm in my final pot & they are drinking so much it's a PITA to feed them all by hand. Until then, mine don't really drink all that much so hand watering is OK for me.

I have a buddy who is using some kind of set up that fits in a 5 gal. bucket (1 for each plant) & feeds his plants for him.
He's been on vacation for a week & returns today. I'll find out how these things worked out for him & what they are called. I'll give you the info once I know.

Or is actual drip tubing that drips only, not spikes
To be honest, No I don't know. I personally wouldn't use the drip system till I'm in my final pot & they are drinking so much it's a PITA to feed them all by hand. Until then, mine don't really drink all that much so hand watering is OK for me.
Okay cool, I will wait , I have them on an areogarden ( not actually in the pods, sitting on top of it in solo cups) with the lights on at night, watering them once a day once every other, basically if stick my finger in a couple inches and it feels bone dry, I hit it with about ten squirts from a mister bottle on low, sound about like proper procedure?

Or is actual drip tubing that drips only, not spikes

Okay cool, I will wait , I have them on an areogarden ( not actually in the pods, sitting on top of it in solo cups) with the lights on at night, watering them once a day once every other, basically if stick my finger in a couple inches and it feels bone dry, I hit it with about ten squirts from a mister bottle on low, sound about like proper procedure?
I usually feed about a shot glass full every 3-5 days depending on the weight of the cup. It takes them a lot longer to drink what you give them when they are young. They will drink more & more as they get older. Before long you will be feeding a gallon every 2 days to each plant. But it starts out really slow. Once it starts progressing it increases much faster. But you have to build the root system 1st by letting the soil dry between watering's. The more roots, the faster it drinks & the more bud you get.

I’m using a mist on my two seedlings. I get the top of the soil wet then abstain. Have the LED 18” from tops. Added a small fan today to try and strengthen the
stalk.

I usually feed about a shot glass full every 3-5 days depending on the weight of the cup. It takes them a lot longer to drink what you give them when they are young. They will drink more & more as they get older. Before long you will be feeding a gallon every 2 days to each plant. But it starts out really slow. Once it starts progressing it increases much faster. But you have to build the root system 1st by letting the soil dry between watering's. The more roots, the faster it drinks & the more bud you get.
Yeah, I will just stick about that, get the top wet, walk away
I’m using a mist on my two seedlings. I get the top of the soil wet then abstain. Have the LED 18” from tops. Added a small fan today to try and strengthen the
stalk.
About the same, but I am just sticking the.under an areogarden, my good lights are out at the site.

I germinate in solo cups till they pop grow to 2-3 sets of true leaves then transplant in final containers - let them make roots in final container, Hey have found out that a soil "innoculant" makes a great difference in rooting at present only two companies make it one is Pro-Mix and the other is called DynoMyco. MY yields increased greatly. There are some side-by-side grows (GrowDiaries) using this product - will never go without using an innoculant again

Back
Top Bottom