1000 Watt Water Cooled Grow

See the quote button in the posts? click the icon that has the " and + symbols in it. Select as many posts as you like, from different pages, then click "post reply" at the bottom of the page when you're done. You'll get all the qutoes in one message.

I also use RO water, but my nutrient mix provides just enough cal+mag that I don't have to use any additives. I however am hydro and I just realized you are in soil.

And no, this grow on this forum is my first ever :)

See the quote button in the posts? click the icon that has the " and + symbols in it. Select as many posts as you like, from different pages, then click "post reply" at the bottom of the page when you're done. You'll get all the qutoes in one message.

And no, this grow on this forum is my first ever :)

Thanks. For some reason I thought I read a journal by you about this massive 16 light Mako Haze grow. Maybe it's cuz you have your friends link in your signature...there were 2 different guys on the grow... YOUR grow looks great btw.

Does anyone notice a drop in pH after their water runs through an RO filter? My tap water is at about 7 pH and the water coming out of my RO filter is about 6...

This seems contrary to logic to me. I would think that the RO filter would remove hydrogen ions from the water not add them. Unless the RO filter is actually striping hydrogen ions from the water molecules, leaving a greater concentration of hydrogen ions in the water...My main filter has a sediment filter, 2 carbon filters, a final carbon filter and then 2 DI filters to finish leaving 0 ppm. The only culprit i can think of is the DI filters but it would seem that they would balance the PH not add to it.

Also I am using the GH pH testing kit and not an electronic tester. Would the lack of conductivity in the water still effect the test results?

Well after some research I found that DI filters replace the molecules they remove from the water with hydrogen ions, so i guess the pH drop is to be expected. This is a little disappointing as i was hoping not to have to mess with the pH (which is why I only bought the liquid test kit - to get a estimate.)

This makes me a little nervous...should I raise the pH to 7 before use or will I be fine with the 6 it is at?

So I germinated my seeds and hooked up the Fresca Sol to the rez. It's kinda funny, with the 1000 watt light and the Fresca Sol running, the lamp is cool to the tough (bout 50 degrees) but the reflector is actually warm. Kinda strange...must be all that reflectivity. My temps in the tent are all out of wack and I haven't yet taken the time to dial them in. The room where I am growing is about 85 because I had the heater pumped up for the cracking of the seeds but I am hoping to get it down to 75 tomorrow. I will post some more pics once the seeds have popped through the soil. I also ordered a 160 cfm duct fan and some ducting from HTG to offset the suction from to vortex fan - should be here sometime next week.

So under the light the temp is about 10 degrees warmer than temps above the light. This is not do to the bulb and lamp which remain at 50 degrees, but to the reflector which is acting like one of those solar ovens. Does anyone have any experience with this? Also I believe I read a thread about a guy with 4 fresca sol/magnum reflectors on here....maybe he could chime in.

:thanks:

**edit: I just checked it again and the difference is only about 6 degrees. I did open the tent door and open an outside door to quickly cool it...

Well after some research I found that DI filters replace the molecules they remove from the water with hydrogen ions, so i guess the pH drop is to be expected. This is a little disappointing as i was hoping not to have to mess with the pH (which is why I only bought the liquid test kit - to get a estimate.)

This makes me a little nervous...should I raise the pH to 7 before use or will I be fine with the 6 it is at?

you really need to pick up a decent ph meter. that thing your using is for checking your spa water. you don't want an estimate...you wanna nail it every time. incorrect ph can give you tons of probs....imho

yeah that's what I'm thinking about doing. Initially i wasn't planning on it as my tap is pH neutral. Guess I'll have to look into it.

*** I went ahead and ordered a Milwaukee PH 600 Digital pH Tester/Meter off eBay for $20. It comes with 20ml of the 7.01 buffer solution...how long will the solution last?

20ml won't last long. i check my cal routinely and i go thru a 100ml bottle a gro. you will also need the 4.01 solution, but not as much. do you have a way to check your tds?

The seeds I ordered arrived today. I placed the order 1-6, they were shipped 1-8 and they arrived today 1-15. Not too long of a wait considering they came from the UK. I ordered 2 of each type but will only be growing out 1.

These are the seeds on the DVD case they were shipped in.
100_0032_1600x1200_.JPG

I was planning on starting germination when the seeds arrived but I only have a 27 watt cfl, so will wait till my replacement MH arrives - shouldn't be any later than Monday.

You'll be fine to use the 27 watter til the new M.H arrives..Ulnless its going to be a while. Keep in mind they still need to sprout and establish themselves. i use flouros til i'm comfortable with them. jsut an idea for you.:ganjamon: Great seed choices by the way. And did you get them from attitude?

20ml won't last long. i check my cal routinely and i go thru a 100ml bottle a gro. you will also need the 4.01 solution, but not as much. do you have a way to check your tds?

I do not have a tds tester. I am hoping to rely on the RO filter and just follow the FF schedule and adjust accordingly. I am actually over budget on the grow...someone was going to split the cost with me but they backed out and I decided to go ahead on my own...

I'm planning on getting some more stuff once I have the extra cash:

High end TDS/pH meter
CO2 regulator, controller and tank
Dehumidifier

and anything else anyone or I can think of that will be beneficial -- so your thoughts and insights at what would make for a better room are defiantly wanted.

I've been thinking about building a 5X5 growbox to put 2 lights in, but unless I can make it movable it really isn't an option...

I do not have a tds tester. I am hoping to rely on the RO filter and just follow the FF schedule and adjust accordingly. I am actually over budget on the grow...someone was going to split the cost with me but they backed out and I decided to go ahead on my own...

High end TDS/pH meter
Dehumidifier

and anything else anyone or I can think of that will be beneficial -- so your thoughts and insights at what would make for a better room are defiantly wanted.

EDIT,
Sorry Butcher, I quoted the wrong post...I was replying to you

I actually finished cracking them yesterday and decided to just put them under the HPS till tomorrow when the MH arrives. I ordered my seeds from The Single Seed Center, another forum sponsor. I am really pleased with what I picked out, all of the seeds except the L*D have cracked and been potted. I potted an L*D seed that wasn't cracked, but put the other in to soak so hopefully one of them will take -- I'm especially looking forward to that strand and the Mako Haze from Kiwi.

High end TDS/pH meter
Dehumidifier

if your anything like me, there will always be something new we're droolin' over. and i can totally relate to the vanishing partner routine. i'm planning on adding CO2 to the next gro if i get a good payday. looking at the water -cooled variety right now. good luck to you, my friend. :peace:

if your anything like me, there will always be something new we're droolin' over. and i can totally relate to the vanishing partner routine. i'm planning on adding CO2 to the next gro if i get a good payday. looking at the water -cooled variety right now. good luck to you, my friend. :peace:

CO2 is next on my list. For my next grow I am planning on growing a single John Sinclair/Congo Haze plant from Kiwi in a 20 gallon microKote pot. I am going to top it above the 2nd node to get 4 main colas and do a 2 month veg...trying to grow a monster. Hopefully I will be able to get the CO2 by then.

That greenhouse seed lemon is ripper. I did acouple trips with it, and wish I had kept a clone going. Well maybe on my next order. Thats a hella lite dude. Alittle over kill till the seedlings get about a foot tall. Long as the temp of your dirt or whatever your starting in is about 10 degrees over thew ambeint temp.I love flour's for starting mine. Even afew 42 wat cfl's Saves afew dollars on the starts too. GL dude I'll be peeking in here and there. I like the looks of the water cooled lite too. I have a 6X6 flower room that heats up come summer time. I've thought of trying acouple of them come summer. Least ya got some good seed stock.

EDIT,
Sorry Butcher, I quoted the wrong post...I was replying to you

I actually finished cracking them yesterday and decided to just put them under the HPS till tomorrow when the MH arrives. I ordered my seeds from The Single Seed Center, another forum sponsor. I am really pleased with what I picked out, all of the seeds except the L*D have cracked and been potted. I potted an L*D seed that wasn't cracked, but put the other in to soak so hopefully one of them will take -- I'm especially looking forward to that strand and the Mako Haze from Kiwi.

i WISH WE COULD ORDER FROM THEM HERE IN THE STATES. bUT NO LUCK ON THAT

That greenhouse seed lemon is ripper. I did acouple trips with it, and wish I had kept a clone going. Well maybe on my next order. Thats a hella lite dude. Alittle over kill till the seedlings get about a foot tall. Long as the temp of your dirt or whatever your starting in is about 10 degrees over thew ambeint temp.I love flour's for starting mine. Even afew 42 wat cfl's Saves afew dollars on the starts too. GL dude I'll be peeking in here and there. I like the looks of the water cooled lite too. I have a 6X6 flower room that heats up come summer time. I've thought of trying acouple of them come summer. Least ya got some good seed stock.

Thanks for stopping by man. You're always welcome.

Back
Top Bottom