1st Grow - Kingsnake235's - Soil - HID - Hash Plant & Black Indica - 2015

day 37

things are looking good for the most part, but have definitely slowed down.. it was hard to tell when to water with the lift method this time, i let them dry out quite a bit think, but since i watered around noon they have sprung up again.. watered 1.2mL/L each FM/BH

over the last few days I've been watching a few leaf issues progress without access to my camera, and from looking at the deficiency chart thats kicking around the forum its looking like K and maybe P deficiencies with some under watering here and there; since i only started feeding with 4-0-3 recently i guess it makes sense to need those now that they are all showing preflowers.

tracking says the tent will be here on monday so i plan to switch them over to that and flip to 12/12 asap; wondering if i should maybe up-can the largest ones before i flip, but only have 3gallons available, so, +1gallon may not be worth the time to let them recover, especially with the signs they are already showing..

i have no idea

anyways..

potassium deficiency?
affliction-Day37-HP-1.jpg
affliction-Day37-HP-1-2.jpg

maybe a root bound issue or phosphorus deficiency?
affliction-Day37-Bi.jpg

underwatering? root bound?
affliction-Day37-Bi-2.jpg

anyways, i don't have a ton of cash on hand to buy more nutes right now, so for potassium i was going to boil some potatoes and put that water thru a screen to get any matter out and check ph; figured that might do the trick. for phosphorus, i have no idea. for now, I'm gonna let the water/nutes do their thing and see how it goes.

:Namaste:

I'm too inexperienced to offer much in the way of advice, but thought I'd mention that you may want to re-post this to the Problems subforum as it may get more eyes than in your grow journal.

Good luck and hope you get it figured out. Biggest thing is not to panic and try multiple fixes in short succession. It could of course be PH locking out nutes that exist but are inaccessible.

day 39 - aka tent day!

arteekay - i took your advice and posted in problems - here - and have since flushed 4/6 with a bunch of straight 7.0pH water to try and remedy a possible lockout. I gave the remaining two a good dousing after i got the tent up.

so, the tent is cool, sturdy fabric, etc, but the instructions that came with it didn't match the actual tent i got, and it was a bit tough to get the cover onto the frame; i popped a couple stitches because it was so hard to get on. my fault tho, forcing things.. anyways.. heres a few pics

a bit dark, but you can see it..
tent_tag.jpg

a little more breathing room for the girls! my oscillating fan is still too strong to have in here :-/
Day39-ALL.jpg

hard to believe that this is the straggler, HP-3, leading the pack in height.
Day39-Height.jpg

i swapped out the MH for HPS while i had everything taken apart, so we will call today day 1 of flower i guess!
i forgot until just while i was writing this that a lot of people use MH for the first 2 weeks of bloom but.. I'm not gonna mess with it now and they are only 1ft so i think the 6'7" tent will manage..

:Namaste:

We've got tents from two different manufactures now, and both are incredibly tight. Ya can get 'em without popping stitches of course, helps if you have two people working on it.

Girls are looking very happy in their new home. How long since you flushed, and are you seeing the deficiency stop progressing? Your damaged leaves will likely not be repaired of course.

yeah; my wife was trying to help but is not tall enough to really help it over the top haha.. kinda glad to know I'm not the only one tho!

mm, its been just over 24 hours since i flushed the 4, 2 of them pointed right up toward the light and the other ones perked up a bit, but it does look, so far, like it hasn't gotten any worse! so thats a good sign.. keeping an eye on them, but i did pull a couple of the worst leaves off; they were a bit in the way trying to water with the sprayer..

luckily just remembered that i forgot to set the timer for 12/12 haha! gotta do that now.

I'm pretty sure you want to make as sure as possible that they are healthy before you flip them to 12/12. Can you wait a few days?

i was doing some reading last night before i saw your post and was thinking about the stress from photoperiod and spectrum change while they have these issues going on so i left the timer at 18/6 with HPS for now..

checked in this morning and saw the 2 tallest ones getting a bit droopy for some reason, maybe the new bulb/heat? its not too hot at the canopy but it is a few degreesF warmer overall so I raised the light an inch anyways, its about 16" over

2 droopers
Day40-drooping.jpg

this doesn't seem to be getting worse so far
day40-progression.jpg

the spots on this one haven't got worse, but the overall colour of the leaf is a bit brighter; hard to see in the pic.
day40-progression2.jpg

this one has progressed however, and based on the chart its looking like phosphorus deficiency still..
Day40-Pdef.jpg
Day40-Pdef2.jpg

im guessing the flush obviously washed out the 4-0-3, and i haven't got any bloom nutes for P yet, so i'll continue watching this today and see what happens.. I was hoping to have flipped last week to finish by the end of february which is now only 7 weeks away but i don't want to rush anything to death :thumb:

saw some pics of similar dry brown spots that were said to be magnesium def, i do have some epsom salts..? and i continue to suspect if maybe they are root bound? I've read that can cause some leaf issues when otherwise things are going ok?

i did notice a bit of a "mass" when i pushed a pencil deep into the soil to make water channels.. hmm

i have some pots that are a bit larger, id go from 2 gallon round to 3 gallon square, i was going to use them originally but they were too big to fit all 6 in the closet.. i could transplant them and give them a few days under the HPS to recover before flipping them?

decisions decisions..

Honestly, and this may just be my inexperienced opinion, they look pretty good for being flushed a day or two ago.

I'm not great at diagnosing deficiencies yet, only advice I'm comfortable giving is check your PH and make sure they have a wet/dry cycle.

Sorry not more help. You're doing great though, research research research!

lights have been on a couple hours now, and aside from the drooping they look good, the issues don't seem to be spreading, but might be persisting a bit.. not sure.

looks like they are showing a bit of overwatering signs with the drooping so I'm just gonna leave them a while and hope for the best.. ironically, the pots still feel kinda light even tho it was only a couple days ago, but its still dark/moist just under the surface, so kinda mixed signs sotospeak hahaha..

anyhow, we'll see how it goes; id like to see the drooping go away before i flip.

So, I notice that all of your damage is on the very bottom leaves.

When you water, are you getting the lower leaves wet with a bit of slop from your watering can?
The nutes in your water can cause exactly this sort of damage when dripped on the leaves directly.
The one you indicated as a phosphorus def. in the photos.... totally looks like a little water slop to my eye.

Leaves can't take as much nutrients as roots. When you foliar-feed, you use a much lighter mix than you put in soil.

hey thanks for joining!

when i first noticed the leaves turning, i considered this and was careful not to get any nutrient solution on them while watering, however that may have been the case for some of the smaller bottom leaves that have since fallen; most of the effected leaves now are larger ones that are either not in the way or get moved when watering.. i don't do any foliar feeding, just the odd water spray on soil top and into the fan from time to time.. but i can't rule it out!

lights on, will post some more pics soon; i notice a bit of progression on that one.

a few pics of progression..

top starting to wilt a bit here
Day41-1.jpg

3 more drooping
Day41-21.jpg

these next 4 are all on the same plant, which has been the most effected so far.
Day41-3.jpg

Day41-6.jpg

Day41-5.jpg

Day41-4.jpg

2 leaves on HP-1 the bushiest LST'd plant
Day41-9.jpg
Day41-10.jpg

and 2 leaves on the other LST plant
Day41-7.jpg
Day41-8.jpg

definitely thinking more and more about pushing the time and doing it right.. i accept that my soil mix is not ideal so rather than push it and risk losing the lot, i think maybe ill go grab some perlite and at least transfer one so i can take a look at the roots and see whats going on..

posted above HERE - further related posts will be posted in that thread to avoid spamming my problems all over the place

day 47

so, after following the advice given in the other thread the plants all responded well; after saturating the soil they sucked it up pretty quick so i decided to transplant them while it was still moist into double size at 4gal pots.

during transplant i noticed the roots weren't in the terrible shape i expected them to be so i left the 2 smaller trained plants in the 2 gal pots and we'll see how they go.. i didn't want to take the ties off and risk damaging them in the process.

upon measuring again, the tallest plant has gained 6 inches in 8 days under the HPS with a good feed, so this light cycle will be the first after 12 hours of darkness

day 1 of 12/12 commences

Day47-ALL-1.jpg

the tallest is in the front on the left; 18" over the soil
day47-ALL-2.jpg

all 6 showing a good amount of pre flowers, and 90% of leaves all looking great..

i notice due to the larger pots getting more water and transpiring more that the humidity has increased quite a bit; what was 30-45% in veg is now 40-60% rarely going over with a lights on temp of 75-78F lights off ~63F

ballast is up to 100% @ 600W now and temperature seems steady :high-five:
see how it goes from here!

cheers

day 49 - day 3 of flower

just an update note today, no new pics.

power went out for a while during the night and my light stayed on a couple hours too long in the morning, got to it when i woke up thankfully.. as i was planning to initiate a long dark cycle to change the timing of the photo period, its not the end of the world, because they have continued to get more dark than light, and it was only on their second 12/12 light cycle so I'm thinking they will be fine..

BUT! the tallest has grown another 2 inches already. stretching quite a bit faster than i expected for indica dominants!

really nice colours on the crowns, and looks like some good foliage growth all around as they plump up..

pots are still probing to moist/ish so ill give them a couple more days to dry out before a plain watering

ok, Day 50 - thats worth a photo!

hard to believe its been 50 days already actually..

anyways. soil still probing moist, but i watered the 2 LST's yesterday 2L each plain water and they're gonna need another tomorrow or the next day. Next time i'll definitely put them in 4G pots before training.

temps were getting a little high lately (80-83F) and i noticed a bit of drooping, which i figured was due to the heat/intensity, so i grabbed an extra length of ducting and brought some cold outdoor air in thru one of the 8" side ports; rearranged the tent so my little fan is in front of it blowing cool air and bam: environments sitting stable around ~75F ~5X%RH and everyones perked up!

Day50-ALL.jpg

Fkn beautiful. Black indica usually harvests a little on the early side (compared to other strains). Im curious to see when your babies are ready for harvest. Will definitely be following your grow :nomo:

Time flies when everything is going smooth.

apparently! haha, there was those few days during diagnosis and treatment that seemed to drag on for me but that seems like weeks ago already lol..

Fkn beautiful. Black indica usually harvests a little on the early side (compared to other strains). Im curious to see when your babies are ready for harvest. Will definitely be following your grow

cheers! the blacks in that last photo are both middle ones and the front right; really liking how they've turned out, looking forward to see what pheno(s) you get, it looks like i got 2, not sure how many there are tho..

Back
Top Bottom