3 branches per node

So I have a plant that’s about 5 weeks old, and she’s got a branch that has 3 leaves and shoots on every node. It’s a little hard to tell in the picture but if you look at the youngest leaves, there are 3 not 2
Is this common?

Yeah, we used to refer to it as "triplod" trait, but that's not the correct terminology (that's actually something completely different, lol). The technical term is whorled phyllotaxy. Some people like to see it, some don't. I've had bad luck in the past, so I started culling the few examples to show up in my gardens. BUT I realize that the poor performers could have been purely coincidental. I just had plenty of seeds of each strain at the time, so didn't really "need" them.

Yeah, we used to refer to it as "triplod" trait, but that's not the correct terminology (that's actually something completely different, lol). The technical term is whorled phyllotaxy. Some people like to see it, some don't. I've had bad luck in the past, so I started culling the few examples to show up in my gardens. BUT I realize that the poor performers could have been purely coincidental. I just had plenty of seeds of each strain at the time, so didn't really "need" them.
When you say poor performers do you mean in flower or just in overall health and vigor? This plant seems one of my strongest

I only tried growing three (which was all I had experienced at the time), and that was over about a two year period. Two of them had the weak-looking "Blueberry" leaves from the start (actually, if I remember correctly, one of them was a Blueberry, Dutch Passion, I think; I do not recall what strain the other two, only that they were all different strains), and didn't appear to have any vigor (yes, I've grown IBLs and know not to expect hybrid vigor with those, but this was... less). The other one seemed healthy enough. One of the ones with mangled leaves got pooched halfway through the vegetative growth phase as a space-waster, the other one and the healthy one were brought to harvest. I wasn't especially impressed with the affects, and it seemed to me at the time that the size of them weren't reflected in their yields.

Again, your mileage may vary - as might mine have, had I not started culling them. As it happens, I have lots of strains in my "personal catalog," but few of each (mostly only one or two seeds per strain), therefore I might choose to allow one to remain in my garden if one appears in the future. Then again, lol... I only have a limited amount of space and, well... I have lots of strains ;) .

I certainly am not trying to tell you (or anyone else), "Do NOT grow one of these things out or you WILL be sorry!" Rather, I am merely reporting my limited experiences. It was just easier for me (in my mind, at least) to pooch them, since this mutation evinces so early in a plant's life. If it was the kind of thing that only appeared late, I might have kept more of them and tried that "hope" thing. IDK.

I only tried growing three (which was all I had experienced at the time), and that was over about a two year period. Two of them had the weak-looking "Blueberry" leaves from the start (actually, if I remember correctly, one of them was a Blueberry, Dutch Passion, I think; I do not recall what strain the other two, only that they were all different strains), and didn't appear to have any vigor (yes, I've grown IBLs and know not to expect hybrid vigor with those, but this was... less). The other one seemed healthy enough. One of the ones with mangled leaves got pooched halfway through the vegetative growth phase as a space-waster, the other one and the healthy one were brought to harvest. I wasn't especially impressed with the affects, and it seemed to me at the time that the size of them weren't reflected in their yields.

Again, your mileage may vary - as might mine have, had I not started culling them. As it happens, I have lots of strains in my "personal catalog," but few of each (mostly only one or two seeds per strain), therefore I might choose to allow one to remain in my garden if one appears in the future. Then again, lol... I only have a limited amount of space and, well... I have lots of strains ;) .

I certainly am not trying to tell you (or anyone else), "Do NOT grow one of these things out or you WILL be sorry!" Rather, I am merely reporting my limited experiences. It was just easier for me (in my mind, at least) to pooch them, since this mutation evinces so early in a plant's life. If it was the kind of thing that only appeared late, I might have kept more of them and tried that "hope" thing. IDK.
Fair enough. I like what I see out of that plant so I’ll keep ‘er unless she shows me some nuts. At that point he’ll have to get the chop.

Punto Rojo x (Mazar x Guerrero)

She is older now. Still very symmetrical. I would have tossed her if she turned he. Since she isn't for breeding I figured I would give her a fighting chance. Planted three: one Male, one true hermaphrodite, and this female mutation...

This thread reminds me that I need to take some new pics, she is much further along and flowering now.

Peace

If anyone takes a plant with this mutation to harvest - and especially if you have "normal" examples of the same generation, in the same grow, to compare it/them to - please return to this thread and give your thoughts after testing (and weighing) the harvest.

If anyone takes a plant with this mutation to harvest - and especially if you have "normal" examples of the same generation, in the same grow, to compare it/them to - please return to this thread and give your thoughts after testing (and weighing) the harvest.
I absolutely will if it turns out female. And all my plants are the same strain/generation so I’ll be able to do some comparing.

Looking at my seedlings today and I have another with the three leaves per node (whorlled phylotaxy/or triploid). These will be around for my pollen chucking run so he/she has had its last picture taken.

Here are Today's haphazard photos of the lady I tried to show off last night. She is a gorgeous lady. Probably has 8 weeks til harvest. I'm horrible at record keeping.

Mutations can be bad or good. I could grow this one out and have everything perfect and she still might burn funny in a pipe or taste like garbage regardless of yield and odor. The ugly plant I am going to kill today could be scraggly, slow growing, late flowering, and all around bad aesthetically and be the greatest smoke I've ever had.. we will never know with that one.

Looking at my seedlings today and I have another with the three leaves per node (whorlled phylotaxy/or triploid). These will be around for my pollen chucking run so he/she has had its last picture taken.

Here are Today's haphazard photos of the lady I tried to show off last night. She is a gorgeous lady. Probably has 8 weeks til harvest. I'm horrible at record keeping.

Mutations can be bad or good. I could grow this one out and have everything perfect and she still might burn funny in a pipe or taste like garbage regardless of yield and odor. The ugly plant I am going to kill today could be scraggly, slow growing, late flowering, and all around bad aesthetically and be the greatest smoke I've ever had.. we will never know with that one.
I love my mutations; it's a crapshoot in regards to ultimate quality but when it works out it's like growing a different strain. I get some of my seeds from that very large Canadian seed company that used to be a sponsor here and their genetics can be quite disparate to put it kindly.

I love my mutations; it's a crapshoot in regards to ultimate quality but when it works out it's like growing a different strain. I get some of my seeds from that very large Canadian seed company that used to be a sponsor here and their genetics can be quite disparate to put it kindly.
The seedling above is a totally unstable hybrid I made without doing any testing. Wife is on the fence about tossing it, I'm not so much because I still have 30+ seeds.

Trailer Trash Betty is an AK-47 variant that was created by outlaw growers for it's males.. Both that I planted were female so I just went with it. The Devil's Pitchfork is actually (Punto Rojo x Unknown) x DDA that I bred.

Chucking some Purple Afghani x BCBD Purps pollen coming up soon here. Lots and lots of crosses to make that have never been made, it's my job to make sure no one gets left behind.

Ufff, this is my first real photoperiod grow and I’m on the god damn edge of my seat waiting to identify the 4 biggest girls and get them into their 5 gallon fabric pots.. unfortunately I probably won’t do a journal until they’re done/almost done

Back
Top Bottom