3D printed items for grows

How’s about being too criminally minded? Lmao 🤣 CL🍀
Leopard_in_the_Colchester_Zoo.jpg

How's the saying go 🤔🤣🤣

Never too old
I have enough invested in my lathe, milling machine, tooling & smelting furnace already.
Can make or repair most of what I need.
Have to worry about keeping warm & eating, with the way prices are going now a days.
If I have more ambition, didn't hurt so much & didn't smoke so much weed I would build one.
I can go to the public library & they will print 3d files for me if I really need it

Ok i was sitting on the crapper(toilet) the other day thinking about up coming grow and any issues I may face and 1 thing came to mind ,being able to adjust light height mid grow .
It will be awkward to say the least being a big light and having a grow tent full of plants , so I have a couple of extra little geared motors that im using for the air extraction dampers that should be strong enough to lift the lights.
I was thinking a 2-3 inch diameter x 1200 long barrel positioned at the top centre of tent with motor and a forward/reverse switch and a top limit switch that triggers from light hitting it , the 4 ropes from the ratchets will feed through the barrel from each side and the tie knot so it can't pull back out all knots need to be spaced the same do light sits level.
Then as you run light up the barrel winds each pair of ropes on each side of light fitting around itself.
The gearbox on the motor feels stiff enough to hold the weight of the lights.
Would others find this handy?
I imagine @Jon might find it useful 💁‍♂️
20231113_155754.jpg

Absolutely beautiful work! Some of the guys on another weed site I frequent are printer nuts like you.

3d Printer in my hands would turn me into a hermit with the only time I see sunshine being when I'm waiting for FedEx to deliver the new rolls of filament!

Love your pole mounts. Since I don't have a printer I had to figure out how to modify something to work like your clips. I use 1/2" PEX clips that they use for PEX plumbing. I needed some way to mount the SCROG net so that it stretched across the entire floor. I used some 1/2" EMT, 5/8 wooden dowel and the PEX clips. Cut the EMT to size. Cut a 3" piece of 5/8 dowel. Pressure fit the dowel into the pipe end. Wood screwed the clip into the wooden dowel. Drilled a small hole at each end of the pipe and screwed in a securing pin so that the dowel doesn't back out.

pole clip b.jpg

Absolutely beautiful work! Some of the guys on another weed site I frequent are printer nuts like you.

3d Printer in my hands would turn me into a hermit with the only time I see sunshine being when I'm waiting for FedEx to deliver the new rolls of filament!

Love your pole mounts. Since I don't have a printer I had to figure out how to modify something to work like your clips. I use 1/2" PEX clips that they use for PEX plumbing. I needed some way to mount the SCROG net so that it stretched across the entire floor. I used some 1/2" EMT, 5/8 wooden dowel and the PEX clips. Cut the EMT to size. Cut a 3" piece of 5/8 dowel. Pressure fit the dowel into the pipe end. Wood screwed the clip into the wooden dowel. Drilled a small hole at each end of the pipe and screwed in a securing pin so that the dowel doesn't back out.

pole clip b.jpg
Nice work around, thanks for dropping by .
I can't help myself im always thinking of new things to make.

Roller design that will clip to roof tent pole ,there will be four of these in the light lifter design.
Second photo shows side profile third photo shows the space where a bearing will fit for smooth rolling of the pulley .
The next part to design is where the motor will attach to the roller( 55mm pipe ) that will wind up the 4 cords raising the light .
20231114_150300.jpg

20231114_150554.jpg

20231114_150342.jpg

20231114_151203.jpg

Ok test print finished for some parts for the light lifter .
The fit seems good , just imagine the white pipe is as long as you need to go across the roof of the tent ,I need to design the parts to go on the other end of the pipe then I will be able to give it a test run and see if this motor has the strength to lift the light .
The hole you can see on the side of the red part on pipe is where the ropes up one end will be fed in after the pipe is drilled out .
20231115_100610.jpg
20231115_100549.jpg
20231115_100537.jpg

20231115_100635.jpg

Ok just tested the motor with the barrel attached and i dont think its going to have the grunt to lift the weight of the light , I will do another design with a bigger geared motor.
Back to the drawing board 🙄

They used to have a system that you could raise and lower your lights with a winch. It was some weird rail system or something. I could be wrong. It was a while ago.

It was probably for warehouse type grows but same concept. Motor that winds a bar that winds up a cable or rope that lifts the light. I did one but without the motor in a sea container build out that I did for a client. You manually wound up the cable although I did try and do it with a motor but, between the customer and I, we decided the frequency that it would be used didn't really warrant a motor per se. ? We had 8 hoods in the 40 ft container.

Here's one I found quickly online. Not them but similar. It looks like it's geared toward warehouses and permanent grow spaces but, again, same concept.

One of the fuck ups I remember doing when I was developing the system was to not run a DC motor so you can regulate the motor speed. The first time I tested it I forgot about the motor speed and practically ruined the fixtures, Raptor HPS hoods, because the motor wound the cable too fast!! Also, incorporate a cable guide so that when you're cable is winding around the bar it stays in one spot and the wind doesn't travel on the bar. If the main roll up bar is even off by a little, level wise, the cable will travel across the bar when it's winding.

Here's the one I was talking about...

For a tent it would seem all you need is the winch mechanism itself since you're not lifting multiple lights at once but if your concentrating all the light weight on one point of support make sure it can handle the weight of the light and winch. I was going to say to look for an already built winch system and modify to your needs but finding a winch system that only needs to lift less than 100 lbs to keep mechanism weight down is hard to find. Do you already have the motor you want to use that can lift your lights?

Ok just tested the motor with the barrel attached and i dont think its going to have the grunt to lift the weight of the light , I will do another design with a bigger geared motor.
Back to the drawing board 🙄
I was wondering if it would but I’m sure you’ll figure it out. CL🍀

They used to have a system that you could raise and lower your lights with a winch. It was some weird rail system or something. I could be wrong. It was a while ago.

It was probably for warehouse type grows but same concept. Motor that winds a bar that winds up a cable or rope that lifts the light. I did one but without the motor in a sea container build out that I did for a client. You manually wound up the cable although I did try and do it with a motor but, between the customer and I, we decided the frequency that it would be used didn't really warrant a motor per se. ? We had 8 hoods in the 40 ft container.

Here's one I found quickly online. Not them but similar. It looks like it's geared toward warehouses and permanent grow spaces but, again, same concept.

One of the fuck ups I remember doing when I was developing the system was to not run a DC motor so you can regulate the motor speed. The first time I tested it I forgot about the motor speed and practically ruined the fixtures, Raptor HPS hoods, because the motor wound the cable too fast!! Also, incorporate a cable guide so that when you're cable is winding around the bar it stays in one spot and the wind doesn't travel on the bar. If the main roll up bar is even off by a little, level wise, the cable will travel across the bar when it's winding.

Here's the one I was talking about...

For a tent it would seem all you need is the winch mechanism itself since you're not lifting multiple lights at once but if your concentrating all the light weight on one point of support make sure it can handle the weight of the light and winch. I was going to say to look for an already built winch system and modify to your needs but finding a winch system that only needs to lift less than 100 lbs to keep mechanism weight down is hard to find. Do you already have the motor you want to use that can lift your lights?
Im going to use a geared motor to slow it down.
The first motor i tested wasn't quite strong enough, I have another bit bigger one that will definitely do the job though.
Thanks for the input and dropping by .

I was wondering if it would but I’m sure you’ll figure it out. CL🍀
I had my doubts but had to make sure it kinda felt strong holding the shaft of the motor but once a larger diameter was fitted on the shaft it struggled

Back
Top Bottom