4 Ladies In A 100 Gallon Fabric Bed, Organic Super Soil, 4x4 Tent, 1000W HID

Great journal. Thank you for sharing it.

Welcome Calvados, thank you very much for reading and welcome aboard!!

Well folks, there has been a slight modification to the harvest plan. I was having a hard time with Pineapple- If I tied up her colas, they were too close to the light, and if I let them bend over, they block the other plants from receiving light. So, I snipped her 16 big fat colas off (top 8-12 inches), and then did some defol across the whole tent. Then I lowered the light by about a foot. So now the canopy is even and light is getting down to the bottom of each plant, yay! I will most likely harvest the rest this weekend after they have a chance to plump up even more.

Before snipping colas:

After snipping:

After defol:

View from side flap (Strawberry in foreground):

Hanging her top colas:

Picture from underneath the hanging buds:

One of her larger colas, nomnomnom!

I wish I knew where my magnifying lens was to check trichomes- it is buried in a box somewhere due to our recent move. So I used the following criteria to gauge Pineapple's readiness- fan leaves (starting to fade yellow and a bit of purple), bud density (very firm), smell (out of this world!), stickiness (took 20 mins to clean my hands afterwards), and pistil color (mostly orange and tucked in, with a few white ones left). I am going to dry trim these colas this weekend when I harvest the rest of the tent. I figure since they don't have as much stem attached, it might be good to keep the leaves on for a bit longer.

The cut stem sites stopped leaking sap after about 5 mins, and sealed up nicely. I will be quite interested to see what the extra week of time does for the lower canopy buds. Next update will be harvesting the rest of the tent in it's entirety!

Do you guys think I should bud wash? I didn't end up using any foliar sprays or nutes throughout the grow, just H20 and molasses to the roots.

As always, questions, comments, and feedback are welcome!
:thanks::Namaste:
~TheFrizz

Awesome Frizz - that jungle looks excellent after your ‘adjustments’ :slide: Sounds like the Pineapple was into the harvest window too so perfect! Nomnom indeed - looks delicious. I love the way this looks - would love some natural light pics of you can manage it, it a bit tricky to make out the detail. I’d say your experiment with all in a big pot together is a roaring success!!
:bravo: I love it!

Awesome Frizz - that jungle looks excellent after your ‘adjustments’ :slide: Sounds like the Pineapple was into the harvest window too so perfect! Nomnom indeed - looks delicious. I love the way this looks - would love some natural light pics of you can manage it, it a bit tricky to make out the detail. I’d say your experiment with all in a big pot together is a roaring success!!
:bravo: I love it!

Thank you Amy!!! I will do a proper photo shoot this weekend in some outdoor lighting :cheer:

If you didn’t spray the buds, didn’t have any big issues, then washing isn’t so important.

You would still likely clean off some dust and stray hairs but, it won’t hurt to not wash. On the other side of the coin it wouldn’t hurt the harvest either. Some think it speeds up the cure but, I don’t have enough harvests under my belt to comment on that.

They are looking good though, that much I know

Wonderful looking buds Frizz. Now this grow is nearing completion what are your thoughts on how you are going to grow in the future? Has soil stolen your heart or can you see yourself ever going back to dwc?

Wonderful looking buds Frizz. Now this grow is nearing completion what are your thoughts on how you are going to grow in the future? Has soil stolen your heart or can you see yourself ever going back to dwc?

Thanks Lewy, I will be sticking to soil from now on, the plants feel happier and it is so easy to just give them water, didn't have to think about PH or nutes! Next up will be an outdoor grow, we have 1.5 acres now so I want to try growing a 20 foot organic canna-tree. I plan on digging a massive hole for the roots and filling it with more homemade super soil :D
Holy cow, Wow, Woooooo!
Those buds look amazing. Can't wait to see the rest of them come down. It's probably better that you cut down those big, huge, monster, heavy, massive dangling buds down when you did.

Ha thanks Haystack, I love all those adjectives!
Did you use the 3 bucket method?

Yep, one with lemon juice, one with hydrogen peroxide, and a rinse bucket.

Woo hoo today was harvest time! We chopped the rest of the plants and decided on a compromise as far as bud washing goes. Since they were pretty clean with no chemicals or bud rot or pests we ended up just dunking them in warm filtered water after trimming, so more of a "bud rinse" than "bud wash". Some oil came to the surface but that was about it.

The top colas from Pineapple still need a few days before they are ready to dry trim, currently the leaves are leathery and not quite crispy yet. I have never dry trimmed before so this will be a fun learning experience, some friends said they just use their hands and sculpt the buds by breaking off the leaf tips.

Here are some pics, sadly it was dark by the time we had buds ready, so photos in outdoor lighting will have to wait a few more days!

Pineapple had some purpling at the tips of each branch, most of it got trimmed off but it was nice to look at.

Next to come, weighing the dry buds and getting some decent close-ups of each strain! So far I have to say this project was a thorough success. I wonder how well a single plant would do in the 100 gallon bed....:D

As always, questions, comments, and feedback are welcome!
:Namaste::thanks:
~TheFrizz

Swingin harvest mizz frizz! :yummy::love: And just an awesome grow all round!

:popcorn:

Please post a link here if you journal your outdoor grow!

:Namaste:
Thanks Amy, will do!!

I checked on the buds yesterday, the stems are still bendy so got a few more days before putting them in jars and getting detailed pics.

What an amazing grow and harvest. Definitely one of, if not the best I've ever seen in a little 4x4 tent. Congrats to you!

And if I may take a guess at your dry weight. I'm thinking somewhere right around 2 lbs. Wooooo!
Awe thankee Haystack!! 2 lbs would be great, will prolly be closer to 1.5 after closer inspection but that's still enough to last quite awhile.

I am pretty sold on the 16 tops per plant method with 4 plants in that amount of space. I wonder if it is worth training an outdoor plant or if it is better to just let them bush out like a x-mas tree since the sunlight does a much better job than a grow light reaching to the depths of the plant?

Back
Top Bottom