400 Watt MH/HPS Mazar & Northern Lights

Thanks for all the info guys, puts my mind at rest. I thought I might have killed something.

Time will tell.

Nothing new to report, its almost been 5 weeks. I think I spotted male preflowers on the Mazaar but I can't say for sure because its to small. The NL doesn't show anything yet, only thing I noticed is where the lateral branching meets the stem it looks swollen. I couldn't get a decent picture so I guess I will have to wait.

Sad day today. My NL was a male that took forever to show, I even took a cutting and tried to force flower it but nothing showed. I still can't say 100% that the Mazaar is female but I'm staying positive.

I also transplanted the small NL into a 3 gal to take place of the male. Another three weeks till I can tell male or female. When I moved it in the 3 gal I also put some vermiculite in with the soil to help hold some water. Wasn't much and just on the bottom 3 or 4 inches.

Temps are 77-78 and 45% RH. I also switched my lights down to 18/6 to try and help keep the soil from drying out as fast. I'm hoping that its not going to hermie anything.

Any thoughts?

So its been a couple of days since I switched my lights to 18/6 and its helped a bit. My pots are staying moist longer and the Mazaar is looking greener. I will post pictures soon.

IMG_20120402_133141.jpg

IMG_20120402_161113.jpg

IMG_20120402_161107.jpg

IMG_20120402_161119.jpg

IMG_20120402_133149.jpg

IMG_20120402_133133.jpg

Sad day today. My NL was a male that took forever to show, I even took a cutting and tried to force flower it but nothing showed. I still can't say 100% that the Mazaar is female but I'm staying positive.

I also transplanted the small NL into a 3 gal to take place of the male. Another three weeks till I can tell male or female. When I moved it in the 3 gal I also put some vermiculite in with the soil to help hold some water. Wasn't much and just on the bottom 3 or 4 inches.

Temps are 77-78 and 45% RH. I also switched my lights down to 18/6 to try and help keep the soil from drying out as fast. I'm hoping that its not going to hermie anything.

Any thoughts?

Hey Blazin' -

18/6 is a good move. I think as long as your are moving to shorter daylight you're fine. Nature moves that direction anyway so you'll be good. Sorry to hear about the Northern Lights being a male. Everything else is looking good! :high-five:

Hey Bud. Sorry to hear about your NL. I keep my seedlings and clones at 15-9 all the way through veg. Seems to work very well for me. Good luck with the rest of your grow

Well this one went to the dogs. Just found that my Mazaar is actually a male. All this time and effort for a learning experience.

Thanks to all who came and posted.

I will be back in a few weeks with my new journal. (BPN Auto Ak47)

One love...

Bummmmmmer!

Make sure you let me know when you start your new journal. Much better luck on the next one, brother. Like you said, it is a learning experience, but I know it's not the kind any of us like. :goodluck:

Ok so the little baby NL that I didn't give much love to isnow 2.5 weeks into floweringand I'm starting to see my first issues. I believe I have a mag deficiency but not 100%, looks like it based off the problem and pest guide. I need to fix the problem but I run into another problem, I don't know if my Ph meter is calibrated 100% so I don't know where to start. Is there any house hold product that has a consistent Ph that I could test against?

Alright I guess I answered my own question when I looked for something else. I used black coffee and some extra 4 Ph I found. I got it calibrated to the best of my ability. Next grow I'm getting a oakton or Hanna cause I need to be sure.

IMG_20120516_125344.jpg

IMG_20120516_125333.jpg

IMG_20120516_125327.jpg

So this is what i believe to be a Manganese Deficiency in 3rd week of flowering but i would like a second or third opinion. Im pretty sure its because of my water, my water after 24 hours has a ph of 7 and my soil run off is 5.5. I dont know what other info i can add to help.

Anything anyone has to stay is ok with me.

Hi Blazin' -

Do you have pictures of the whole plant? Where did these leaves come from (what part of the plant)? How much of the rest of the plant is efffected? It might help to have a picture of the plant, too, to give it more context. Maybe a little more info about the soil and nutrients you are using, too. (Sorry if it's mentioned elsewhere). Another thought is to post your issue in the problem solving section:

Problems, Pests & Disease Control

I'll be honest, I've never had leaves that looked quite like that, so I'm not your best bet to answer what specific deficiency that is - nor do I grow in soil. I'm sure it's obvious to someone, just haven't stumbled into that one yet I guess. However, I'm always game to try and help if I can - and in some ways, it doesn't matter WHAT the deficiency is, as the fix is usually the same regardless.

First, since you are having some issues, I'd recommend a good flush if you haven't done one lately. Either straight water or a 25% nutrient strength. There is some theory that a light nutrient solution like 25% actually flushes better than plain water, but I'm sure either would work. Again, I don't grow in soil, but I believe they recommend 2-3 times the volume of the pot be poored through the soil to clean out any excess nutrient salts. Basically what you are doing, is "resetting" and cleaning out built up nutrients in the soil. It's good to periodically flush water through your soil to clear out salts. In my coco coir plants, I also water with about 10% run off each time. I believe this is good practice for soil, too, but you might want to verify that (and everything I'm suggesting) with a soil grower.

Second, since you are having some issues, it might not be a bad idea to have/buy a good PH meter. Just to ensure that you are giving them a mix they can digest properly. Alternatively, flush periodically, don't over fertilize, and use a good soil mix.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance, but I am sending you mucho positive vibes regardless!! :goodluck:

Hi Blazin' -

Do you have pictures of the whole plant? Where did these leaves come from (what part of the plant)? How much of the rest of the plant is efffected? It might help to have a picture of the plant, too, to give it more context. Maybe a little more info about the soil and nutrients you are using, too. (Sorry if it's mentioned elsewhere). Another thought is to post your issue in the problem solving section:

Problems, Pests & Disease Control

I'll be honest, I've never had leaves that looked quite like that, so I'm not your best bet to answer what specific deficiency that is - nor do I grow in soil. I'm sure it's obvious to someone, just haven't stumbled into that one yet I guess. However, I'm always game to try and help if I can - and in some ways, it doesn't matter WHAT the deficiency is, as the fix is usually the same regardless.

First, since you are having some issues, I'd recommend a good flush if you haven't done one lately. Either straight water or a 25% nutrient strength. There is some theory that a light nutrient solution like 25% actually flushes better than plain water, but I'm sure either would work. Again, I don't grow in soil, but I believe they recommend 2-3 times the volume of the pot be poored through the soil to clean out any excess nutrient salts. Basically what you are doing, is "resetting" and cleaning out built up nutrients in the soil. It's good to periodically flush water through your soil to clear out salts. In my coco coir plants, I also water with about 10% run off each time. I believe this is good practice for soil, too, but you might want to verify that (and everything I'm suggesting) with a soil grower.

Second, since you are having some issues, it might not be a bad idea to have/buy a good PH meter. Just to ensure that you are giving them a mix they can digest properly. Alternatively, flush periodically, don't over fertilize, and use a good soil mix.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance, but I am sending you mucho positive vibes regardless!! :goodluck:

Hey X

Thanks so much for stoping in at my request. I dont have picture of the whole plant as of yet, I will get them tonight with my nice camera. The leafs are coming from the middle of the plant in random spots, they seem to change over night. Im also using Fox Farm Ocean Forest, with the full line of fox farm nutrients Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom, Grow Big, Open Seseme, Cha Ching and Beasty Blooms as fox farm instructs in there feeding schedule, i started my feedings at half strength and then moved up to 4 half way through. I will try a flush again to night and start with a small bit of nutes to help.

THANKS THANKS THANKS.

BlazinThat said:
Hey X

Thanks so much for stoping in at my request. I dont have picture of the whole plant as of yet, I will get them tonight with my nice camera. The leafs are coming from the middle of the plant in random spots, they seem to change over night. Im also using Fox Farm Ocean Forest, with the full line of fox farm nutrients Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom, Grow Big, Open Seseme, Cha Ching and Beasty Blooms as fox farm instructs in there feeding schedule, i started my feedings at half strength and then moved up to 4 half way through. I will try a flush again to night and start with a small bit of nutes to help.

THANKS THANKS THANKS.

No probs - I hope you get it worked out successfully. Sorry I've been feeling rough and battling my own probs with bugs or I'd have been by without the shout-out first.

Sometimes less is more with nutrients. Even in hydro where they get no nutrition from the media, I only run at about 3/4 strength most of the time (bpn). Good luck brotha!

Thanks for sharing your grow with us. Sorry about how it turned out though.

I’m moving this to completed journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom