Capt Blast Moving Indoors - A Utility Shed Perpetual

Looking for some advice as its heating up in the SUGAR SHACK. I am currently vegging in a 4x4 with a 400watt MH, and it's hotter than blue blazes in there, plants are slow coming (which is kinda ok) but using lots of water. wouldn't mind knocking the power bill down as well as the heat. So yesterday I was internet searching around and shopping for a 200 watt MH but not having much success, saw a 200 watt CFL and a 300 watt LED, the LED was in the $100 price range and I would like to stay around that range, but could go as high as $200 if I just had to. Any ideas suggestions greatly appreciated, I am also going to go from the 1k HPS down to 600watts in the 5x5 as soon as the current ones finish. My temps in there have gotten to 92-92 last couple of days, I have a 460cfm fan pulling from outside the tent, through the light (from inside the shack) and exhausting into the roof top vents but have only been running it @ night with the light, I may hook up a spare I have just to exhaust the tent instead of the 240cfm I'm currently using. I run the lights at night when temps are high 70's and think my tent is heating uo more in the day day since we are now just under 100*'s (37c) the last 2 days around here and this is just the beginning.

Thanks in advance for al thoughts and suggestions.

:Namaste:

Turn up your AC and become one with ugly power bills.
That's my only solution.

One should keep in mind that some of the LED based lights can be quite warm as well.

2cents delivered.

thanks Tead, A/c maxed out at 60 18k but unit, as you saw the other day shack itself gets no warmer than 82, I'll come up with something other than a 24k but A/C I reckon

:high-five:

Could you position the light in the shed so that it is right by the air intake? Have the air intake go right to the light and then directly outside. Make the air completely unconnected. On either the entrance or the exit have it go through a sealed Rubbermaid that holds the ballast. I would put it at the vent entrance and connect it directly to the light or with a super short hose.

Intake/Rubbermaid ballast/ light/ directly outside. A four foot path.

P/m sent captain...

Ya know... you can always cut down on the amount of square footage that you're actually cooling. I found it quite effective to build a bloom box inside my shed and only AC the box rather than cooling the entire shed.
Of course, that's gonna cut down on your grow area of course.

Kinda what I was thinking Tead, cut down to just the flower and one veg tent, I think I could run ducting from the A/C to the intake of each tent with help from an inline 240 cfm fan, I actually put a box fan by the lower intake of the veg tent yesterday and dropped the temps about 2 degrees, I also don't have a fan pulling across the light to cool it. I have the fan was just thinking if I could get decent veg results in tent I could cut down on the ugly power bill for the next 3 months some and achieve the same results. I'm surely thinking to take a beer box 24 pack and make a cover to direct air out from the window unit to each of the 2 tents. I learned this method in Trinidad when we had the boat up on the hard for a refit one summer, the yard rented window units and the laborers would make a beer box taped to the unit which was stuck in an open hatch then run some flex duct from there into the room they were working on. Get off @ noon today so while in town plan to see what the HD has that may fit better than a beer box if it does't cost to much.

thanks NOLA good ideas

Could you position the light in the shed so that it is right by the air intake? Have the air intake go right to the light and then directly outside. Make the air completely unconnected. On either the entrance or the exit have it go through a sealed Rubbermaid that holds the ballast. I would put it at the vent entrance and connect it directly to the light or with a super short hose.

Intake/Rubbermaid ballast/ light/ directly outside. A four foot path.

Another idea I could do like I was explaining to Tead Shiggity, instead of going to the intake maybe go to the light instead. The shed being only 12x16 I would guess the intake side of the light for each tent would be between 4-6 feet away from A/C unit @ most. Good ideas from both of you cats. Next year I;ll have a better finished shed. Really only need to get through one more run as I've cut it down to every 2 months perpetual vs. 1 month, way too much trimming doing a one month.

I think I could run ducting from the A/C to the intake of each tent

I put the business end of the AC thru the side wall of the inner bloom tent and run a duct to the veg tent.
This may not be real optimal. The temp of my veg tent is controlled by the temps of the bloom tent. It hasn't been too much of a problem, but my veg tent is about 5 deg. higher than my bloom tent.

I'm surely thinking to take a beer box 24 pack and make a cover to direct air out from the window unit to each of the 2 tents.
What... trying to take my "Jackleg" title away?!?! Meh.... your idea even provides some bonus beer... I'm jealous!
Seems effective, but remember, the temp probe for when to turn on the compressor is in the front of the AC unit. I could see that you might drop the temps more than you might expect... especially during lights off hours.

Looking for some advice as its heating up in the SUGAR SHACK. I am currently vegging in a 4x4 with a 400watt MH, and it's hotter than blue blazes in there, plants are slow coming (which is kinda ok) but using lots of water. wouldn't mind knocking the power bill down as well as the heat. So yesterday I was internet searching around and shopping for a 200 watt MH but not having much success, saw a 200 watt CFL and a 300 watt LED, the LED was in the $100 price range and I would like to stay around that range, but could go as high as $200 if I just had to. Any ideas suggestions greatly appreciated, I am also going to go from the 1k HPS down to 600watts in the 5x5 as soon as the current ones finish. My temps in there have gotten to 92-92 last couple of days, I have a 460cfm fan pulling from outside the tent, through the light (from inside the shack) and exhausting into the roof top vents but have only been running it @ night with the light, I may hook up a spare I have just to exhaust the tent instead of the 240cfm I'm currently using. I run the lights at night when temps are high 70's and think my tent is heating uo more in the day day since we are now just under 100*'s (37c) the last 2 days around here and this is just the beginning.

Thanks in advance for al thoughts and suggestions.

Sorry late to party but my veg 4x4 with 400 watt MH has same ussue with heat. Another route would be T5HO 8 x 24 watt for under $200. Mine is in use now cuz it's very hot here.

bee4163daed28955a3b7598676df6dae.jpg

Few CFL'S and om at 348 watts actually.

1c0c447b532ac29a94ca0129112a28fe.jpg

Runs much cooler then

05d3bff239ae04fca9a3ac994627b009.jpg

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

Sorry late to party but my veg 4x4 with 400 watt MH has same ussue with heat. Another route would be T5HO 8 x 24 watt for under $200. Mine is in use now cuz it's very hot here.

bee4163daed28955a3b7598676df6dae.jpg

Few CFL'S and om at 348 watts actually.

1c0c447b532ac29a94ca0129112a28fe.jpg

Runs much cooler then

05d3bff239ae04fca9a3ac994627b009.jpg

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

Thanks Millertm, much appreciated! looks like she's doing them justice.

:thanks:

What... trying to take my "Jackleg" title away?!?! Meh.... your idea even provides some bonus beer... I'm jealous!
Seems effective, but remember, the temp probe for when to turn on the compressor is in the front of the AC unit. I could see that you might drop the temps more than you might expect... especially during lights off hours.

Main problem is I don't drink beer Tead, maybe a case a year just because I want some alcohol in the middle of the day, and rum makes you dumb if you get on it in the heat & sun before 1730. Never would be able to take your title anyway. I did try the lazy fan at light end method you pioneered.......

Main problem is I don't drink beer Tead, maybe a case a year just because I want some alcohol in the middle of the day, and rum makes you dumb if you get on it in the heat & sun before 1730. Never would be able to take your title anyway. I did try the lazy fan at light end method you pioneered.......

Never been one to be shy of bein dumb... and I do likes me some rum.

There's another there but you know what it says.. Something along the lines of :thumb: :high-five:

TOP of the Morn everyone:

Quick update, fed the 5x5 6 WWxBB w/Breir Rabbit Molasses, FF's Tiger Bloom & Big Bloom, Calmag, hydro Guard and the (1) that is a week ahead is now on straight water, looking 2 weeks away for her and 3 for the others +/-:

crappy yellow pics:

IMG_20160629_221253484.jpg

IMG_20160629_225744275.jpg

IMG_20160629_231032877.jpg

Up potted the 12 WWxBB clones under 400watt MH to 2.5 gallons night before all's well there:

IMG_20160629_221245375.jpg

IMG_20160629_221239079.jpg

Then fed some FF Big Grow to the little guys (12) WWxBB clones under the 'ole shop light:

IMG_20160629_221312105_HDR.jpg

Added these two 9" high velocity fans to the 2 hot tents helped lower by 3 degrees believe it or not:

IMG_20160629_221322053.jpg

IMG_20160629_221317624_HDR.jpg

Have a great green day yawl!

I'm off to have a tooth extraction then work

Looks beautiful mate.... everything... Tooth extraction.. sounds like relief.. Hope your got some edibles and nicotine patches. Dry socket sounds bad man, don't want that.. .. Have a good day mate..

Back
Top Bottom