600W LED Grow

re: GLH 600W LED Grow

lol. i know they wont be that big. shit i wish. but IMO the big cola is just for looks and best in SOG. LST is the way for me 100%. i will try to get the XJ-13 for this next grow. because its my fav so far, and it has allot of sativa in it, its a mix of both but as we can see sativa is dom on this one. i just wonder if Hempy would be a good idea in those temps? or should i stick with my soil?

Good question.

I don't think you would get any more of a "cooling" effect from hempy over soil, but I just don't know.

so SS do you think there could be some truth to my Radiant heat theory with HID vs LED? i would love to here ur thoughts on this?

Makes sense to me that plants are able to handle ambient heat (room heat) better than radiant heat that is too close for comfort, but that's the thing.

HID's *are* effective at distances where plants *aren't* heat-stressed by their radiant heat, so if I need to have them too close in order to get good growth, I need to look at watts, grow style, etc., to try to figure out what needs to change.

I don't see LED's as an advantage here, even though they don't radiate heat like HID's, because if I'm heat-stressing my plants with HID, I'm doing something wrong that should be correctable.

For instance, if I'm not keeping my plants short with LST or some other method, and my plants need to have the HID closer than it should be to the main cola to get any penetration down below, then I could fix that by keeping my plants short and the canopy even.

So I see it as kind of a moot point as far as the advantage in radiant heat between HID and LED, although if plants become more sensitive to radiant heat as room temps go up, I can see how LED's would be an advantage.

hope that makes some sense ;)

nicely said. but i was always under the impression that radiant heat effects plants the more the room temp goes up. i know you can use silica and keep a fans between ur plants and light witch helps wonders. but the higher the temps the more the plants get effected by the radiant heat is what i have read so thats where i was thinking leds could help? but i really dont know? ive read it has to do with the leaves getting dryer from the heat so the radiant heats them too much causing heat stress.

Hey irish, I've been watchin' the thread from the sidelines, and I must say it's very impressive. I appreciate the fact that you grew these babies out to allow for a good test for the light's penetration. So far the buds seem to be growing in similar sizes all over the plant. Despite the use of a variation of nutrients I'd say this is a very good experiment to accurately test the power of that light.

Can't wait to see the numbers on the scale. Great job!

On a side note: anyone know why mike up'd his prices on lower watt units? Or am i just trippin?

Hey irish, I've been watchin' the thread from the sidelines, and I must say it's very impressive. I appreciate the fact that you grew these babies out to allow for a good test for the light's penetration. So far the buds seem to be growing in similar sizes all over the plant. Despite the use of a variation of nutrients I'd say this is a very good experiment to accurately test the power of that light.

Can't wait to see the numbers on the scale. Great job!

On a side note: anyone know why mike up'd his prices on lower watt units? Or am i just trippin?

thanks man!
i wanted to grow some real big plants to see how good the penetration is so thats why i vegged them so tall. on the tall girls 4' ones their isnt really too many fluffy popcorn buds witch is a good. the HS has a real dense foliage so i dont know how thats gonna turn out in the middle bottom of the plant? but i dont expect any light to penetrate threw the dense of foliage.

i have no idea about the prices? ive never looked at them before.

nicely said. but i was always under the impression that radiant heat effects plants the more the room temp goes up. i know you can use silica and keep a fans between ur plants and light witch helps wonders. but the higher the temps the more the plants get effected by the radiant heat is what i have read so thats where i was thinking leds could help? but i really dont know? ive read it has to do with the leaves getting dryer from the heat so the radiant heats them too much causing heat stress.

makes sense that at higher room temps, plants would not tolerate radiant HID heat as well, but without an air-cooled hood, I think it's always a good idea to have a fan blowing between the light and the canopy.

Of course, an air-cooled hood would be an even better solution for both radiant and room heat.

makes sense that at higher room temps, plants would not tolerate radiant HID heat as well, but without an air-cooled hood, I think it's always a good idea to have a fan blowing between the light and the canopy.

Of course, an air-cooled hood would be an even better solution for both radiant and room heat.

always air cooled hoods for me.lol.. but ya ive read its something to do with the evaporation mixed with radiant heat that hurts the plants. and leds cause less evaporation and the leaves stay cooler and thats why they seem to be ok in high temps. i dont know? but i will find out real soon.lol

Wow - wholly crap it took me a while to catch up!

I think I agree with almost everything said so far. And I'll support the theory of radiant heat and an advantage over HID. Basically I can let the temps in the room run hot, but if a leaf gets too close to a bulb, that's when I see issues. For you even though the light's ballast will release heat into the environment, and there will be radiant heat from the plants - I don't think there will be sufficient heat from the bulbs to torch your plant.

Great convo! And great example where if the gear works its a perfect application for the technology. If its a little more expensive at first that's ok if it can do something a competitor can't!

:peacetwo:

Well, and a lot of peeps probably just want to grow their own meds without having to set anything up as complicated as an air-cooled HID setup.

We do this stuff without thinking twice and it's a labor of love for us, but the tech can be very intimidating for lots of folks.

Hangin' out in these grower's forums one can get a skewed perspective, brother ;)

Well, and a lot of peeps probably just want to grow their own meds without having to set anything up as complicated as an air-cooled HID setup.

)

I think you nailed it bro! SS...you were having a battle weighing the LED and HID issues earlier. :smokin: lol I get what you and Irish are sayin though, and the radiant heat cant be good. We would need to take a thermal imagine, and the thermals would be crazy coming from the HID lamp.

Anywho, Had to chime an agreement, and from experience I have noticed this. I have grown better ladies with the light higher up, and this explains that.

Sweeeeet

-Go

That is how much the chinamen must be charging for breaking the glass for him????;);)

1. Why would the Chinese need to break the glass instead of simply not installing it?

2. The panels will come with the glass and it will be up to the customer if they want to remove it or have me remove it prior to sipping.

Looks to me like the price went up aprox $50 on all his units...:whoa:

Yup.. about 5.3% increase in pricing on all units. Nothing I can do about it. Instead of prices going down they went up on the LED's I use.

It sucks but I am still cheaper than my competitors and offer a far more advanced product in my opinion.

Sorry everyone thats just the way things go.

i wish you'd respond to my email like you do this ;D

although its not of too much importance. i'm a new member here so my word means nothing really.

I think you nailed it bro! SS...you were having a battle weighing the LED and HID issues earlier. :smokin: lol I get what you and Irish are sayin though, and the radiant heat cant be good. We would need to take a thermal imagine, and the thermals would be crazy coming from the HID lamp.

Anywho, Had to chime an agreement, and from experience I have noticed this. I have grown better ladies with the light higher up, and this explains that.

Sweeeeet

-Go

Interestingly, the HGL lights do have some IR leds to *add* radiant heat, in the belief that this improves things.

Hoods used to be kept a whole lot higher than they are now. Wonder where this epidemic of radiant heat burn came from? ;)

Hoods used to be kept a whole lot higher than they are now. Wonder where this epidemic of radiant heat burn came from? ;)

yup everyone want to try to get as many lumen as the can get so they keep the lights real close. they wonder why their plants are stressing. when its cold i understand but when its hot and you dont have to right setup in the room i dont understand.lol. ive grown some very nice plants with my lights not too close. its all about reading ur plants!! they will let you know everything. you know the dog whisper? well i am the plant whisper!! my plants talk to me and i listen.

look its snowing in my room.

resin_pics_006_600x449.jpg

resin_pics_005_600x449.jpg

resin_pics_002_600x449.jpg

resin_pics_003_600x449.jpg

resin_pics_001_600x449.jpg

close_up_pics_4_600x449.jpg

close_up_pics_5_600x449.jpg

close_up_pics_1_600x449.jpg

close_up_pics_2_600x449.jpg

close_up_pics_3_600x449.jpg