600W LED Grow

re: GLH 600W LED Grow

Doode, I just respected the way you kept your grow in perspective, and in hand, considering your other led adventures... and the way you kept this thread on track. You're objective in a world of subjective reporting. Kinda refreshing.

A lot of it has to do with this unusual (for the internet) 420 clientele, tip o' the hat there. I mean, I'm on some other forums where a thread like this would have major blow torching (led vs hps vs led vs some pissed off troll), and all I've seen here is a flick of a bic. Nice.

So, kudos to everyone. I like this place:grinjoint::grinjoint:

And thanks for the rep... dang, I'm sorta set up, just waiting for the clones:yummy:

So, and sorry if I am repeating myself but I am an AARP card carrying geezer, my thanks to you and all the greenish brothers and sisters here.

And... I'm gonna have a ton of really stoopid questions once I going<G>

ya i here you bro i am on allot of other places to. for the most part everyone leaves me alone and my led grows. but i have seen 100's of nasty led wars in my time with these lights. but after being around for a while and using these lights for some time and not trying to sale them or tell others to buy them most of everyone leaves me alone and at peace. but on here at 420mag i am no troble everyone here is very very cool and real respectful towards me and my led grows. i am never leaving this fourm, by far my favorite place to be their are some real good peoples here.

once you get ur grow rolling and have any questions just ask we will all try to help as best as we can. there is allot of great info on here and allot of great members that have great info and are willing to help/share.

420MAG YOU GUYS ROCK:thumb:

Voted for ya Irish, can't wait to see the trimmed results and the g/watt, or for that matter, another LED light that works like this one, or even better. I think the key now is to fine tune the color spectrum and find more efficient emitters in order to drop the total wattage of these lights to where they should be. Anyways, + reps Irish.

Voted for ya Irish, can't wait to see the trimmed results and the g/watt, or for that matter, another LED light that works like this one, or even better. I think the key now is to fine tune the color spectrum and find more efficient emitters in order to drop the total wattage of these lights to where they should be. Anyways, + reps Irish.

thanks man! ill be sure to get some good pics of the trim buds.

i wanted to get some of your guy's thoughts on this? i keep wondering how fat my main cloa would be if i didn't LST these plants and split the energy up like i did between so many tops? dont get me wrong i believe LST will give me more yield, but just wondering if you think the top cola would be pretty fat with this light? i mean these are some good size colas for a LST plant that has allot of them. this next grow i might still do 4 LST plant and maybe 2 lollipop plants and let them grow straight up to see those colas. all done Hempty buckets.

this next grow will be a test in its self because the temps will be around 100+F* from the summer heat, lets see if i can grow with leds in this heat where i couldn't with HPS of equal watts. 1000w's. if i dont get heat stress with these leds then this will be a big advantage for us summer growers that face hot grow rooms. i think the plants will be ok because of the less radiant heat of the leds compared to HPS. IMO plants can handle high room temps, but its the radiant heat from HPS that gets them. i want to see if my theory is right?

i wanted to get some of your guy's thoughts on this? i keep wondering how fat my main cloa would be if i didn't LST these plants and split the energy up like i did between so many tops? dont get me wrong i believe LST will give me more yield, but just wondering if you think the top cola would be pretty fat with this light? i mean these are some good size colas for a LST plant that has allot of them. this next grow i might still do 4 LST plant and maybe 2 lollipop plants and let them grow straight up to see those colas. all done Hempty buckets.

this next grow will be a test in its self because the temps will be around 100+F* from the summer heat, lets see if i can grow with leds in this heat where i couldn't with HPS of equal watts. 1000w's. if i dont get heat stress with these leds then this will be a big advantage for us summer growers that face hot grow rooms. i think the plants will be ok because of the less radiant heat of the leds compared to HPS. IMO plants can handle high room temps, but its the radiant heat from HPS that gets them. i want to see if my theory is right?

Re the LST - I think you're fine. From strictly observation so far, I'm deciding its not the number of tops that affects the size of my colas so much as the total number of other crappy buds underneath and the ratio between the amount of light the top buds are getting vs the bottom ones. But technically all the plants are lollipopped in my scrog anyways.

EDIT: And these are tops, not colas, in other words LST w/1 cola and lots of tops is very different than topped or FIMd plant.

As far as the temps - I will reserve judgement - I hear about people doing it - but if my room gets above 85 I panic. 100+ should be quite the learning experience. As far as whether you could do it with an HPS - I would think no way!

:thumb:

Re the LST - I think you're fine. From strictly observation so far, I'm deciding its not the number of tops that affects the size of my colas so much as the total number of other crappy buds underneath and the ratio between the amount of light the top buds are getting vs the bottom ones. But technically all the plants are lollipopped in my scrog anyways.

EDIT: And these are tops, not colas, in other words LST w/1 cola and lots of tops is very different than topped or FIMd plant.

As far as the temps - I will reserve judgement - I hear about people doing it - but if my room gets above 85 I panic. 100+ should be quite the learning experience. As far as whether you could do it with an HPS - I would think no way!

:thumb:

you are right their are tops not colas. the temps will be a fun one to watch i hope?lol. you cant grow with a 1000w hps in those temps. i am many other friends have tried, its just too much especially without CO2. so i will be a very happy camper if i could get a nice grow with leds in these temps. i think i can pull it off if my theory is right? its the radiant heat that gets ur plant IMO. i am more worried about me in these temps then my plants, it sucks when its 100-115F* outside. this next grow will be the HELL GROW with no CO2 and A/C. poor girls.lol

i just think this will be a perfect grow for us to see if leds can help us grow in the crazy summer heat that some of us cant grow in with high power 1000w HID with no A/C. i am very curios to see how this works? this can be a big plus for me in the summer time.

A big fat main cola is a beautiful thing, but like you, I think LST increases yield, so you can't have it all ;)

maybe you're looking at all those buds and mentally adding them up into one big-assed cola, but IMO, I don't think it would be anywhere near that big.

The African sativas would probably dig those temps ;)

A big fat main cola is a beautiful thing, but like you, I think LST increases yield, so you can't have it all ;)

maybe you're looking at all those buds and mentally adding them up into one big-assed cola, but IMO, I don't think it would be anywhere near that big.

The African sativas would probably dig those temps ;)

lol. i know they wont be that big. shit i wish. but IMO the big cola is just for looks and best in SOG. LST is the way for me 100%. i will try to get the XJ-13 for this next grow. because its my fav so far, and it has allot of sativa in it, its a mix of both but as we can see sativa is dom on this one. i just wonder if Hempy would be a good idea in those temps? or should i stick with my soil?

Irish- an air cooled 600W LED fixture, in theory, will put more heat into an enclosed space than an equivalent air cooled (non-ventillated) 600W MH/ HPS fixture- probably roughly equivalent to a 1000W HID fixture.

When you run current through any man-made lighting device you get two things- heat and light. The ratio between the two determine relative efficiency of the light source. I will avoid the subject of 'useable light' as this will cloud the point I am trying to relay here (this is where the LED far surpasses the HID in performance).

You are right on the money on the IR thing- the LED is not an intentional radiator of IR like an HID light, which should be a good thing- the only measurable IR on an LED fixture is typically the actual temperature of the dies and fixture itself. However, that being said, heat load is heat load is heat load- there is no escaping it.

Keep us all posted.

so SS do you think there could be some truth to my Radiant heat theory with HID vs LED? i would love to here ur thoughts on this?

Funny you mention this, we had a hot spell here recently and my temps got pushed up to 107 under my 250w hps. The next day i had a bit of droop and the girls well and truly let me know they didnt like it. Anyway this spurred me to change over to my led fixture and the next week we had an even hotter day and again my temps hit 108 but this time the girls seemed to just take it in their stride.

if the fans were running in reverse and sucking air from the sides and blowing out the top of the fixture it would be easier to make a manifold to duct the hot air out of the room.... maybe someone that works in sheetmetal or hvac could figure a way

I may be wrong here but I seem to have read somewhere that as long as you can keep the roots cool the tops will not be as affected from the heat itself, the light can be placed to close so the tops will burn but the plant itself will continue to thrive if you can keep the roots somewhere in the 70 degree zone. I think this is where a larger container also would be of help as it would take more heat to effect a big container compared to a smaller one, I also think the color of the container can have something to do with it as a black one will stay cooler the a white one or vica versa.

Anyone else care to chime in on this, as I already said I seem to remember reading this somewhere but where that was I don't remember I have so many different books.

I may be wrong here but I seem to have read somewhere that as long as you can keep the roots cool the tops will not be as affected from the heat itself, the light can be placed to close so the tops will burn but the plant itself will continue to thrive if you can keep the roots somewhere in the 70 degree zone. I think this is where a larger container also would be of help as it would take more heat to effect a big container compared to a smaller one, I also think the color of the container can have something to do with it as a black one will stay cooler the a white one or vica versa.

Anyone else care to chime in on this, as I already said I seem to remember reading this somewhere but where that was I don't remember I have so many different books.

you probably read that in Edd's book? i read the same thing. IDK know how true it is though? makes sense to me.

From personal experience in hydro I can say thats pretty accurate. I have had plants in veg in my fluro's that would just wick up water from their roots and flood the tops of their leaves so they wouldnt burn up. I would never ever try that with HID as yer talkin a major fire hazord, lol, but I've seen these plants do some things that just flat out amaze me.....

Your absolutely correct. Weed is an equatorial weed.Afghanistan is no 70 degrees. My room is constantly over 95. But I use huge black reservoirs. You can keep them cool by placing a frozen milk jug in the res. instead of an expensive chiller.

Back
Top Bottom