Alkhemist - Soil - Big Budxsuper Skunk #1 First Grow Journal

What's up Alkhemist? That would be him in all his fastpitch glory as he's a friend of our family here in Cali. and taught my younger brother a few tricks about pitching Kiwi style when visiting some years back although my bro's nowhere on Tangaroa's level that's for sure. Chubb throws some extreme heat from 46 feet or use to that is if he's still playing. Look forward to seeing the update on your grow and stay stoned! :ganjamon:

wow, its a small world! that would have been awesome for your bro! :cheesygrinsmiley: yeah im an old school skater from wayback... skateboarding and surfing are my sports of choice :cheesygrinsmiley: even at 39 i still love to get out on my board! lol

thanks for the positive comments bro! much appreciated :cheesygrinsmiley:

keeping it grEEn :cheesygrinsmiley:

update pics of 24th day of flowering:

DSCF23731.JPG

DSCF23721.JPG

DSCF2371.JPG

DSCF23681.JPG

DSCF23652.JPG

DSCF23622.JPG

DSCF2357.JPG

DSCF2355.JPG

keeping it green as a bean! :cheesygrinsmiley:
:Namaste:

Very nice, do you have a spec for your reflectors, I've tken apart 2 cool tubes, and I want to make reflectors

hey clever,

these reflectors are approx 1200x1200cm they are better suited to 1k hps/mh but they work quite well for 600hps also. one of my old grow partners had access to warehouse commercial ducting(the ducting was cylindrical and all the sheets were in half cylinder lengths) and managed to score half a dozen. i wasnt satisfied with the full sized "adjusta large 'avenger' reflectors"(Switched on Gardener) that measured 710x680 as at that time i was growing commercial with mostly 1k hps bulbs(3x flowering rooms with 9x1k hps lights in each room) and so we made our own :cheesygrinsmiley: one of the reflectors i am using in this grow is painted matt white and the other we kept in its original condition and surface- an experiment to see if the plants under each would grow more vigorously or not.. but they are pretty even under both reflectors.

the construction is very simple with half-cylindrical sheets, you could try your local commercial hardware store or some such for sheets.

all the best! :Namaste:

I was going to say ‘Awesome’ but you said it on one of the vids, it made me think how inappropriate the word is, it’s not ‘some-Awe’ it’s ‘Full-Awe’ but that doesn’t work either, just bloody brilliant then!
:hookah:

What lighting schedule do you use for veg?

Not my style, but love the Home-brew Tea, how did these plants manage to get Nutes from sea shells in Nature?:thumb:

I was going to say ‘Awesome’ but you said it on one of the vids, it made me think how inappropriate the word is, it’s not ‘some-Awe’ it’s ‘Full-Awe’ but that doesn’t work either, just bloody brilliant then!
:hookah:

What lighting schedule do you use for veg?

Not my style, but love the Home-brew Tea, how did these plants manage to get Nutes from sea shells in Nature?:thumb:

hey aja!!

thanks for your comments bro! greatly appreciated :cheesygrinsmiley: all positive feedback is very welcome :)) for veg i merely go with 24/0 - 12/12, altho i started with 18/6 - 12/12 when i first started indoor growing. i did a comparison grow a few years back now.. one room with 18/6 and one with 24/0 and didnt see much difference in growth at all.. except possibly more growth in the 24/0! although it has to be said i was a sceptic when i first came across it, thinking about how plants need atleast a few hours of darkness to aid in its own metabolic processes... and how in nature there is always a balance of light/dark - yin yang etc. i didnt see any negative effects of the 24/0 so i went with that schedule after that and started to praise the 'yin' of the root system and soil and the 'yang' of the foliage and above soil and have never looked back :party: :party: :]

the ocean is packed with minerals and nutrients and kina shells for example are an excellent source of all the trace elements(66 elements are found in the ocean waters- to date) that are found in most good nutrient mixes:
". . .Fish, amphibian, and reptile, warm-blooded bird and mammal - each of us carries in our veins a salty stream in which the elements are combined in almost the same proportions as in sea water. This is our inheritance from the day, untold millions of years ago, when a remote ancestor, having progressed from the one-celled to the many celled stage, first developed a circulatory system in which the fluid was merely the water of the sea. In the same way, our lime-hardened skeletons are a heritage from the calcium-rich ocean of Cambrian time. Even the protoplasm that streams within each cell of our bodies has the chemical structure impressed upon living matter when the first simple creatures were brought forth in the ancient sea. . ." -Racheal Carson
what Racheal didnt mention was that plants also benefit from these same proportions..

ive used fishbones and intestines, sea urchin shells for years in one form or another, one garden i had was rich in fish bones and shells i merely threw into it and dug in... this was my "pounder' garden.. another garden in the same yard, which was not enriched with any fert, shells or fish bones etc was my 'backup garden', i planted cuttings of the same strain and the same age in both gardens(big bud x white widow), i watered both ONLy water and found the differences when it came to the first couple of weeks into flowering phenomenal(after which time i started to feed both the same food), the enriched garden i ended up yielding almost 900grms(from ONE cutting!) the other, 'backup' garden yielded just under 300 grams!(again- one cutting)triple the yield of the same cuttings! :cheesygrinsmiley: so this is just something i have stuck with since then and know from experience to be effective.

i havent sent my brew in for an analysis so couldnt tell you the balance and proportions of the elements/minerals but its something im now considering as im starting to enter into the online forum/journal thing and might prove beneficial to provide that information... and for my own information- it would be interesting to know EXACTLY what the proportions are.. i'll update that later on :cheesygrinsmiley:

well, thanks again for stopping by aja! and i wish you all the best for your own organics and scrogs! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Peace :Namaste: :peace:

howdy folks!

just a few update pics of the 29th day into flowering, stepping up potency of nutrients from 5mils per litre of water to 10mils per litre and feed once a week for 2 weeks then onto 2 feeds per week till the end, where i will also add a tblspn of flowering booster fert to the top soil... im thinking 5-6 weeks to go! :cheesygrinsmiley:

SAM_00521.JPG

SAM_00512.JPG

SAM_00491.JPG

SAM_00481.JPG

32 days into flowering... approx halfway there :cheesygrinsmiley: buds are starting to fatten up and get quite resinous!... from next week we should see them starten to fatten up considerably :]

big bud x super skunk#1 soil grow - YouTube

Your garden is fantastic! Enjoying a virtual stroll round the plants.:thumb:

Thank you very much for your detailed response, very educational, also starts to explain some of the ‘whacky’ secrets of some old school conventional gardeners. Indoor non-organic scrog for meds, organic outside fruit and veg, just starting top dressing for High Brix.

:thanks:

Thanks again

Your little ladies are looking pretty there Alkhemist, nice work and I'll check back from time to time hoping or wanting that is to see a final harvest video.:ganjamon::thumb:

Your garden is fantastic! Enjoying a virtual stroll round the plants.:thumb:

Thank you very much for your detailed response, very educational, also starts to explain some of the 'whacky' secrets of some old school conventional gardeners. Indoor non-organic scrog for meds, organic outside fruit and veg, just starting top dressing for High Brix.

:thanks:

Thanks again

thank you ma man!

yeah we all have come across so many different techs and methods of growing.. indoor, outdoor.. soil, hydro.. organic, non organic ... there really is no end to the innovations of creative growers when it comes to maximizing yields and growing healthy plants especially! :cheesygrinsmiley: but you know.. as you gain a little experience you tend to stick with what works well/best, until such a time when you are ready to venture into something different- especially when one is forced to adapt to different situations/grow spaces.

i LOVE growing, i couldnt imagine NOT growing... :cheesygrinsmiley: and for me it is not just the fact that its a wonderful medicine which alleviates the symptoms of so many ailments.. its also ZEN :cheesygrinsmiley: and it can become so much like bonsai(even though bonsai can take years to sculpt and shape) its a love affair with a living thing that we nurture, shape, support... and eventually partake of its gift in harvesting :cheesygrinsmiley: it can become a wonderful form of 'green dollars' where we can exchange green for goods and services, especially when exchanged with ppl who smoke! its the perfect exchange! :] and in this sense it is very much liberation from the greedy world of capitalism where we get to take a small piece of power back. in this capacity too, it can support families where the primary worker can no longer work, for what ever reason.. it is like no other plant that i know of on this planet

at the end of the day.. no matter what method or technique we use.. JUST KEEP GROWING :cheesygrinsmiley:

PEACE :Namaste:

Your little ladies are looking pretty there Alkhemist, nice work and I'll check back from time to time hoping or wanting that is to see a final harvest video.:ganjamon::thumb:

thank you brother!

yeah it gets to that stage where you can see the light at the end of the tunnel but is like one of those movies where the end just stretches further and further away! loL alot of the time i just TRY to forget about them and come back ever 3-4 days, letting my grow partner do her thing- that way i can see changes and growth alot more... wont be long now! :cheesygrinsmiley: and thanks for your visits bro! always good to hear other ppls comments :]

Peace :Namaste:

thank you brother!

yeah it gets to that stage where you can see the light at the end of the tunnel but is like one of those movies where the end just stretches further and further away! loL alot of the time i just TRY to forget about them and come back ever 3-4 days, letting my grow partner do her thing- that way i can see changes and growth alot more... wont be long now! :cheesygrinsmiley: and thanks for your visits bro! always good to hear other ppls comments :]

Hey Alkhemist, I hear that but like they say patience is a virtue and especially when it comes to cultivating herb which is nature's best medicine as far as I'm concerned! And I was just checking out the post above mine and see we have the same points of view when it comes to gardening which provides peace and harmony for me in today's society where people have gone crazy it seems as well as government also and the greedy politicians or who I call sheep as their still coming into our state and shutting down legal dispensaries which gets somewhat scary growing but being I'm small time they don't bother me although I do get helicopters flying over regularly.

And here's a link to a video I shot today of my legal ladies before I harvest and in the movie says tomorrow under the harvest moon which would be cool but it might be a couple days longer actually for them to fully mature. Enjoy and have a good one sir!:ganjamon:

Hey Alkhemist, I hear that but like they say patience is a virtue and especially when it comes to cultivating herb which is nature's best medicine as far as I'm concerned! And I was just checking out the post above mine and see we have the same points of view when it comes to gardening which provides peace and harmony for me in today's society where people have gone crazy it seems as well as government also and the greedy politicians or who I call sheep as their still coming into our state and shutting down legal dispensaries which gets somewhat scary growing but being I'm small time they don't bother me although I do get helicopters flying over regularly.

And here's a link to a video I shot today of my legal ladies before I harvest and in the movie says tomorrow under the harvest moon which would be cool but it might be a couple days longer actually for them to fully mature. Enjoy and have a good one sir!:ganjamon:

you old coot you!! LOL dems some damned fine specimens brother! and the music is fitting :cheesygrinsmiley: im inspired when i see greenhouses and plants like yours bro- thats what its all about... organic, outdoors-well greenhouse... just beautiful ma man! yeah bro.. the world is getting kinda crazy rght now and i feel ya situation with the dispensaries being hit too :/ muthafucking dea etc being utter assholes(excuse my lingo!).. and this NDAA bill is a huge concern too :[
patience is surely a virtue my bro and i aint in any hurry :cheesygrinsmiley: day by day.. year by year- enjoying everyday as it comes.. and learning from the shit life can throw at ya.. you are now one of my greatest inspirations for growing on this site dude and i look forward to logging in to see what you got :cheesygrinsmiley:

well, i know a couple of chaps who swear by it- from early vegetative right thru to end harvest... but im on the fence, i see the principles of it and can understand the method but personally i have always seen the leaves as being something of a "solar panel" for the plant and its photosynthetic processes and as such tend to leave more on- only plucking to open bud sites to light. im doing a comparison in my recirculating top feed hydro setup at present and tbh i dont see any difference as of yet, the 2 i defoliated and the other 2 i left are relatively even and cannot see any discernable difference in the size of flowers! same with my soil grow, i decided to defoliate and havent seen the increase in yields i hear so much about- after 4 days.. i normally take off shade leaves and open up sites anyway... and clean up a bit of the bottom... but not to the point of actual "defoliation" which is more aggressive than i what i normally do.... but im open to experimenting and will try it more aggressively than i normally do.. its now the 5th day after a rather extreme plucking and i havent really seen anything of an increase that i would expect... and certainly no more than i would if i had left more leaf on!

check this site out.. is also what inspired me to try it after AZ mentioned it: https://www.------------.com/marijuana-defoliation-tutorial

:Namaste:

QUOTE=clever;1591533]I've heard the pro's and con's of defoliating, what do you think?[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom