Beateo's - Soil - Lemon Kush Feminized - 2014 - 1st Attempt

:thanks: I have no idea! The package for the Lemon Kush said 70 days and we're 5 days past that but no worries. KingJohnC informed me that the breeder's figures are likely for commercial type lighting...not the CFL's I've used for this entire grow.... makes sense. I have 4 different plants and not one of them is showing even a single amber trichome yet. If they don't get some color soon I'm going to have to go by the % of pistils (which also indicate they are not ready yet). Worst case... I'll harvest right before I declare them dead. :)
I've tested buds from 2 of the 4 plants so far... they haven't reached their potential but there definitely was THC there! lol
:Namaste:

Cool.
Much thanks for the rep's bro.

Quick photo update and I'll just put my concerns out there for comments... The 3 strains I started from seeds... Lemon Kush, Critical Haze, and Sleestack Skunk are getting all yellow leaves but all of the yellow ones are at the top of the plants. The lower leaves are still green. I thought they used up the plant nutrients from the bottom? Now, I'm not TOTALLY thick headed and I've listened to all of you.. I understand that the yellowing is completely normal for the end of the cycle... I just want to be certain that's what's happening here and it's not the plants just dying. Also.. no sign of amber yet. My photography has been so-so I think but I'm having a tough time setting my camera so the colors show accurately... I tried something different this time so I hope you can see just how yellow these girls really are! Oh... the clone I was given.. my "Wild Child" is still all green and still putting bulk on.
Here are a few pics:

DSCN20629.JPG

DSCN20636.JPG

DSCN20645.JPG

DSCN20657.JPG

As always, thanks all for looking! :)

Being a noob and all, I hesitate to offer advice, but...
From all my study, it looks like it could be a micro-nutrient deficiency. They all look pretty similar (to me), but mostly start with new growth. Most common reason is PH being out of whack - either too acid or alkaline. Are you able to confirm your soil PH?
Dunno if that helps any.

Green Dreamz & Major P.... I am able to read and adjust the ph in my water but don't have a probe yet for in the soil. My ph needs adjusted down when it's just plain well water and up when I was adding nutes. I kept it right at 6.4 - 6.7 every time. I haven't given any nutes at all since I first flushed Christmas day and that was 22 days ago. I made the mistake of not knowing that the 70 days set by the seed seller was not for my type of lighting so I'm probably way early for shutting down the nutes and doing flushes? Unless you've grown a particular strain before, it seem to me that when to cut off nutes and start flushing is no more than a guess? Live & learn. :Namaste:

Hey Beateo......those leaves remind me of one in organic soil i had that had a ph problem i think.....never did figure it out....was before i was on this forumn.....wish i could be more help but i am waiting to learn from others what they think:)......other than that i hope all is well with you:)

Being a noob and all, I hesitate to offer advice, but...
From all my study, it looks like it could be a micro-nutrient deficiency. They all look pretty similar (to me), but mostly start with new growth. Most common reason is PH being out of whack - either too acid or alkaline. Are you able to confirm your soil PH?
Dunno if that helps any.

KingJohnC, I can't see it being heat and the severe yellowing wasn't happening when I was giving nutes.... under watering??? I think that may be the probable candidate sir! I'll start watering more...now. I'm guessing it's not a good idea to start up nutes again? :Namaste:

Your leaf damage appears to be either from heat stress, under watering or nutrient burn.

Thanks for the incite to all! :Namaste:

If a plant is wilted badly it is better to feed either pH adjusted water or a pH adjusted low ppm nutrient solution than return to the previous nutrient schedule for 1 watering. Damaged leaves will be re hydrated better than with a high ppm nutrient solution.

KingJohnC, I've looked at the options and think the ph adjusted water is the simplest possible solution so I'm trying that one first. I know my ph... at least going in.. is correct and I think it's probably too late to start nutes again, or do much of anything else at this point for that matter. I think the point may be moot now though... depending on how long it takes for trichomes to fully change to amber? This morning I found a few... not many... but a few trichs that looked like they were tobacco stained color. YAY!! :) If they change fairly quickly I shouldn't have a problem... if it takes weeks to change then I think my plants will be dead first? Also, I only saw the ambers on the Lemon Kush and the Haze. The Skunk didn't have any although it's almost as yellowed and wilted as those two. My Wild Child doesn't even concern me... almost all of her leaves are still green and she's still bulkin' up! She's definitely on her own schedule. Is there a point where someone's gonna say.... "Oh, you left them too long so now there's no point in harvesting.. throw them on the compost pile"? The thing I've tried to do throughout this whole grow is to not make any rash decisions. I've tried to not get excited, not over-do anything, and take advice from those I trust here. I think I'd freak if I put over 4 months in this for nothing! I really don't see that happening though. Hey thanks for the advice all!

If a plant is wilted badly it is better to feed either pH adjusted water or a pH adjusted low ppm nutrient solution than return to the previous nutrient schedule for 1 watering. Damaged leaves will be re hydrated better than with a high ppm nutrient solution.

Good call Beato. I think you're making the correct decision. I wish I had more experience to draw from to be able to offer more insight. Hopefully someday...

KingJohnC, I've looked at the options and think the ph adjusted water is the simplest possible solution so I'm trying that one first. I know my ph... at least going in.. is correct and I think it's probably too late to start nutes again, or do much of anything else at this point for that matter. I think the point may be moot now though... dpending on how long it takes for trichomes to fully change to amber? This morning I found a few... not many... but a few trichs that looked like they were tobacco stained color. YAY!! :) If they change fairly quickly I shouldn't have a problem... if it takes weeks to change then I think my plants will be dead first? Also, I only saw the ambers on the Lemon Kush and the Haze. The Skunk didn't have any although it's almost as yellowed and wilted as those two. My Wild Child doesn't even concern me... almost all of her leaves are still green and she's still bulkin' up! She's definitely on her own schedule. Is there a point where someone's gonna say.... "Oh, you left them too long so now there's no point in harvesting.. throw them on the compost pile"? The thing I've tried to do throughout this whole grow is to not make any rash decisions. I've tried to not get excited, not over-do anything, and take advice from those I trust here. I think I'd freak if I put over 4 months in this for nothing! I really don't see that happening though. Hey thanks for the advice all!

What would you estimate the percentage of amber trichomes is on your buds? Yes, if cannabis is left for excessively long the trichomes degrade as the percentage of amber trichomes increases. You are welcome!

My guess is 5% amber or less. When I looked through my 30X this morning I only saw a small number scattered here & there.... but yesterday I saw absolutely none. I believe I'll be OK with the Kush & Haze but the Skunk is wilting and yellowing fast and no sign of any amber yet. I'll try to harvest before it turns to complete crap. :) What would you guys think the minimum % for amber should be.. considering what's happening to my plants I'm wondering if I should be waiting for the idea % or balance that and the fact that the girls are fading fast?? :Namaste:

What would you estimate the percentage of amber trichomes is on your buds? Yes, if cannabis is left for excessively long the trichomes degrade as the percentage of amber trichomes increases. You are welcome!

My guess is 5% amber or less. When I looked through my 30X this morning I only saw a small number scattered here & there.... but yesterday I saw absolutely none. I believe I'll be OK with the Kush & Haze but the Skunk is wilting and yellowing fast and no sign of any amber yet. I'll try to harvest before it turns to complete crap. :) What would you guys think the minimum % for amber should be.. considering what's happening to my plants I'm wondering if I should be waiting for the idea % or balance that and the fact that the girls are fading fast?? :Namaste:

If you have amber trichomes on your buds you may begin harvest flushing at any time. Most people harvest from 5%-30% amber trichomes. Harvest at 5%-15% amber trichomes for a "head high" energetic effect and harvest at 30%-50% amber trichomes for a "body stone" sedative effect strain dependent.

Heck - they look good enough to flush right now.

While I was making the assumption that the information I had from the seed bank about how much time was needed to mature was correct, I did a serious flush... gallons and gallons... for each of my plants on Christmas day. I've given them only ph adjusted water since that day. Do they need to be flushed again? The pictures I've been posting don't show anywhere near how severe the yellowing really is. These plants look like they're dying to me. I've started to see just a tiny bit of amber. I don't believe these girls will ever live to see 50% ambers so I've decided to watch them very closely and try to time it right. I'm thinking try to get as close to 30% as possible while the plants still look alive.... the problem is I have no idea how long it takes for trichomes to transition from first appearance of amber trichs to a harvestable level above 5%? I'd also prefer it be as high as possible... heavy duty body stone is what I'm looking for.
I also believe this is the last time I'm going to try finishing with CFLs. I'm going to try to come up with a 600-1000W HPS/MH for the next grow flowering.

If you have already been feeding your plants pH adjusted water then your plants are ready to harvest at any point. You should watch the sugar leaves and harvest before the yellowing progresses to the sugar leaves and degrades the buds.

If you have already been feeding your plants pH adjusted water then your plants are ready to harvest at any point. You should watch the sugar leaves and harvest before the yellowing progresses to the sugar leaves and degrades the buds.

KingJohnC, I have been feeding nothing but ph adjusted water since Christmas day. I'm putting up what's probably way too many pictures for you all to look at. I'm hoping they show the colors better than the ones I've put up so far. These pictures are from my Kush & Haze. The "test" clippings are from my Skunk.

DSCN20693.JPG

DSCN20708.JPG

DSCN20717.JPG

DSCN20725.JPG

DSCN20736.JPG

DSCN20747.JPG

DSCN20754.JPG

And the "testers" :)

DSCN20766.JPG

DSCN20775.JPG

Thanks, as always, for looking! Any and all tips, comments, incites, hunches, delusions, senior moments.... whatever.. all appreciated :)

Oh.. I forgot... those 2 small clippings are over 1/2 oz..... I understand that's not going to be the real weight after they dry but I'm pretty damn happy with that for just 2 branches... the nugs seem way tighter than the street stuff I've been smoking. :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom