Chinnubie's 1st Soil Grow Using Purple Kush

I really appreciate the responses and as usual I'm at fault for not explaining myself very well. I've always been under the impression that lighting is figured at roughly 4-6000 lumens per sq. ft. That closet is 6 sq ft. and I've lite it with 32,000. I have become literally the worst photographer on the planet and can't seem to translate the very small space that is that closet. If I were to put a 600 watt lamp in that closet I wouldn't be able to control the enormous amount of heat that would build up. I'd have to leave the door open and I can't have that in my state. I thank you guys for all of your advice and were I an experienced grower of 10-20 years I would have been able to recognize what was happening sooner. My camera and my photographing eye are no where near good enough. I had thought about some CFL's early on but even trying to do that would have really torn those plants up, so I'm going to chalk this up as experience grow number 1. My next grow room will have the space needed to actually work on the plants when I need to get at them. This tiny closet doesn't provide for that type of care. The electric and inline fan hardly fit with 2 pots. Are my figures on the lighting correct?

The lumen per square foot is a good starting point but the reality is, the more light the better. Just make sure that you have the correct spectrum for where your plant is at. Blue for veg and red for bloom :)

This has been a great learning experience because I'm looking at adding a 600 watt MH/HPS combo for that exact purpose, MH for veg and HPS for flower. I'm going to make sure the next spot allows me the ability to get in and around the plants for more control. This was thrown together as we went, with more enthusiasm to plant, than thinking ahead. I have a much better understanding of what and how things need to be done in order to maximize efficiency. Thanks to everyone for taking the time.

This has been a great learning experience because I'm looking at adding a 600 watt MH/HPS combo for that exact purpose, MH for veg and HPS for flower. I'm going to make sure the next spot allows me the ability to get in and around the plants for more control. This was thrown together as we went, with more enthusiasm to plant, than thinking ahead. I have a much better understanding of what and how things need to be done in order to maximize efficiency. Thanks to everyone for taking the time.
If youre looking into a 600 combo, it might be better financially to just get an LED. With the 600 youll have to invest in a cooling system and bulbs, which in the end would be more than buying an LED. Something to research and think about bro :)

2014-05-25_12_41_32.jpg
2014-05-25_12_42_07.jpg
2014-05-25_12_43_26.jpg
2014-05-25_12_42_17.jpg
2014-05-25_12_43_56.jpg
Waiting on crossing the "T's" and doting the "I's" on the new house. If we get it there is a light-tite work room behind the laundry room. It already has water, electric, and shelves. Measures roughly 4'X10' perfect for a veg room and flower room. Enough dreaming about tomorrow here are new pics. My son left the lights on for 2 extra hours and that top on the taller plant looks like it might revert to veg. The other flowers look fine. What do you guys think?

2hrs wont revert her back but theres a slight (really slight) chance that she might hermie. Just make sure to keep a close eye as she approaches harvest. Should that happen again, chances of them going hermie will increase. Do you have your lights on timers?

I know I'm an idiot for putting such valuable merchandise in the hands of my son, but I'm trying to get him to be responsible for something and he felt really bad and admitted to the mistake upfront, so he could have lied and I wouldn't have known. I'll give up a plant for an upstanding and decent human being in the world, I guess..... They are set at literally 12/12,on at noon off at midnight I'm always home to turn them on or off except Saturday night each week. I know a timer never fails and I'm going to get a couple in the near future but I'm holding off until we move.

Yeah, I'm gonna definitely look into the size's plus all the pros and cons of both HPS and LEDs. I could use the cfl's I have for veg and the HPS for flower but only 3 plants at a time. The PK would be in a much better position had I not put 2 plants in one pot saving room for a bag plant that would hermie on me. That's why the canopy isn't quite even but as the flowers are coming in I think they are PK and not some screwy mix-up.

Got some newer pics to document this grow.

2014-05-26_11_51_24.jpg

2014-05-26_11_51_41.jpg

2014-05-26_11_51_59.jpg

2014-05-26_11_53_24.jpg

2014-05-26_11_53_05.jpg

2014-05-26_11_52_44.jpg

2014-05-26_11_53_39.jpg

2014-05-26_11_54_00.jpg

2014-05-26_11_54_18.jpg

2014-05-26_11_50_57.jpg

Nice bro!! :)
Have some reps!!
What are you using for water? I ask cuz some of those leaves are looking a lil "taco" like.
Just a lil side note...all the great growers have already made the switch to led bro. Really consider it. :)

Yeah the "taco" leaves are happening to the plant that's sharing a pot with another plant and I think they could be stealing from one another. I've been using an MG bloom boost every 14 days according to the instructions and watering with set out water from the tap. We have really good water here at 120 ppm. The wife says maybe calcium deficiency? At the same time I don't want to do something that might make the situation worse. I like the K.I.S.S. system my Dad taught me. The additional S at the end can be substituted for your favorite S, example, keep it simple shithead; or stupid, etc. We started watching the entire series of The Sapranos, again, and it's just as good the second time around.

Does the top on the tall plant look weird to anyone?

2014-05-26_11_52_44.jpg

The other flowers appear to be gaining some weight but this one seems to be taking a much longer time. Going back to the not knowing what CropKing sent me was correct they are PK and I was just being a moron. I do think these hybrid plants can show different sides of themselves when it suits them. Any comments would be appreciated.

How?? I guess I'll have to comment more so I can invite people. I appreciate you taking the time to comment. You think these plants have gotten the sativa side of the genetic mix? Been wondering why they've gotten sooooo tall, so will probably end up taking longer to fully flower? The original purpose of PK was to get the pain relieving side of the high level of THC. Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining but I have a feeling the effect of these buds might end up giving a more energetic, up type buzz. Have to wait and see.

Hey Chinnubie, I like your grow closet. even with a sativa strain you can keep your height under control by topping and lst(tying) the branches so it grows out as well as up. You'll get a bushy shorter plant and increase your bud sites. You want to keep in mind that the plant will continue to grow even in flower cycle so the more you grow out (side to side) during veg cycle instead of letting it grow up, the more room you will have for growth during flower. Also where you keep your lights during veg will help dictate your plants height. Keep the lights as close as you can without burning the leaves. Put your hand on top of the plant, if you feel the heat, you're lights are too close. Move the lights until your hand doesn't feel hot. When you have your lights too high, the plant will want to stretch to reach the light. If your seeds are from a trusted breeder, then you can count on the genetics. You're doing fine, remember, it's your first grow and it's a learning experience. I'm sure you've learned a lot since you first germinated your seeds. Chin up my friend! (no pun intended) You're doing great! :bravo: :goodjob: :thumb:

Does the top on the tall plant look weird to anyone?

2014-05-26_11_52_44.jpg

The other flowers appear to be gaining some weight but this one seems to be taking a much longer time. Going back to the not knowing what CropKing sent me was correct they are PK and I was just being a moron. I do think these hybrid plants can show different sides of themselves when it suits them. Any comments would be appreciated.
Are those 3 bladed leaves i see? Thats a sure sign of a light leak

This plant has one & three bladed leaves but the rest of her buds look just like the other plants. In other words, that's the only part of the plant flowering like that, the rest of this plants bud sites don't look like that, they all look, what I would call normal, but that one branch just looks so different. I was thinking, I know dangerous territory, maybe she's still trying to reach for pollen and hasn't really given up yet. The rest of the ladies appear to be beginning to finally give up and hopefully start really putting on some weight. I may have to go 10 weeks in flower with these girls, have to wait and see.

Shadowman,

You are sooo right about obtaining knowledge and if I knew then what I know now those plants would be looking very different. I know I can fill that closet with buds if my wife will let me try one more time. Since we didn't get the house she's worried about being in an apartment with no true control over security, meaning, if maintenance needed to get in to fix something and nobodies here they could stumble upon the grow and do one of two things, steal them or call the cops. We've really turned our lives around and she's 10 years out of prison, so you could imagine the fear of not wanting to go back after finally getting it together. We NEED a medical cannabis law here in Missouri!!!!!!

Canuck,
Do you know what the ratio of the type of LED I would need for a given floor space area or do you go by number of plants? How do I know what size to get? Assume a 24"X36"X96" or 6 sq. ft. 8' tall.

Back
Top Bottom