Chinnubie's 2nd Shot at 2 Fem Purple Kush

I forgot to add that the promix dries up pretty fast and really does a super job on aerating the roots. This will be the challenge for me to keep from over/under watering. The top couple of inches get dried out very quickly, but I know there is moisture down further for the plant to get. I have to remind myself to K.I.S. and Mother Nature will do the rest.

Thanks 60Cal, you are more than welcome, I hope everyone feels free to share any ideas or comments, along with any constructive criticism to keep us thinking and on our toes.

my favorite part is the bucket that says lets do this - AWESOME lol haha:thumb:

Thanks mrrobert, thought it might provide a little inspiration for us all, plus it's funny. :rofl:

Rad, Laverne was the first to pop, but Shirley has been the bigger producer in terms of overall growth size. Laverne is producing the exact same thing but in a smaller version. The skinny leaves are gonna be hybrid just looks so different from Shirley when seeds were supposed to be from same batch. Oh, well as long as she turns out the way she's supposed to I'll be satisfied.

The watering issue has been solved!!! :woohoo: I'm astounded by how quickly the water runs through, but I was trying to achieve that very thing, so I guess good for me. I actually did something with a grow that I planned on and it feels good to see my obvious prediction. Of course, I learned all I need to know in kindergarten, but 420Mag has added on to my education. :thanks::420:

Update, Update: I watered through yesterday with 1/3 strength Growology step 2. Measured PH run-off, same as medium at 6.5. I'm going with the Denise method of cannabis growing, if it ain't broke don't fix it. She had told me that she doesn't measure PH unless there are deficiency issues and that she hasn't had any real issues with the promix and growology. At the current rate of growth I couldn't be more pleased with the medium and nutrients I decided to use.

KJC I know you had told me to wait a little longer until I used the nutes but the cotyledon's on both plants are already beginning to yellow so my impression along with the better half was they needed some food. After feeding yesterday I wasn't entirely sure it wouldn't end up killing them, but the wife was absolutely confident they wouldn't be damaged and she was right. They have a greener look and I have a feeling I'm gonna have to buckle-up for take-off.

Saw a Nature show on Netflix by PBS on "What Plants Talk About" and you want to talk about interesting, if you guys get a chance to see it, I'd recommend checking it out.

Just as an additional comment/question about watering. When I watered the Depot bucket yesterday with a gallon of water I got roughly 1/4 gallon back through run-off, is that okay or should there be more retention in the medium? The larger pot was watered with a gallon as well, but only a little bit of run-off and I'm thinking because the size is a bit bigger holding more medium.

Update on the 2 PK plants in vegetative stage after 18 days since they've popped their little heads above the medium. It's been 3 days since last watering with 1/3 strength step 2 Growology and looks like they're going to need another watering either tomorrow or Wednesday gonna have to wait and see how they feel. Anybody ever weigh their pots before and after watering to determine when to water again? Just curious if that would work?

Laverne
2014-07-21_10_26_14.jpg

2014-07-21_10_26_37.jpg

2014-07-21_10_26_31.jpg

Shirley
2014-07-21_10_26_04.jpg

2014-07-21_10_26_47.jpg

2014-07-21_10_27_01.jpg

One side of the cotyledons on Shirley came off already and they look pretty weak on Laverne as well. I'm guessing no big deal just one of those things? Should I be concerned?

Don't worry about the cotyledons. That's normal. Once the plant is developed enough or has enough nutrition they basically stop using them at all.

As for the weighing thing, That's kinda the general rule. Although not by actual weight because that is gonna change as she grows. Its always been a feel thing. Feel the completely dry pot, and that's how light-ish it should be before watering's.

Looking good Chinnubie :thumb:

I do not weigh the pots for my plants after I water, I lift the pots when the medium requires watering again to get a feel for how light the pot is and lift the pot when the medium is watered to get a feel for the weight of the pot when the medium is wet. You should also place your finger 1"-2" into the soil when you believe the soil may require watering to feel how moist the soil is. You now have small cannabis plants that are in the vegetative stage and do not require the cotyledon leaves any longer.

I still consider myself a total newbie so a lot of the questions I ask are for positive reinforcement. I am really amazed by the differences in the two plants. The seed company says they are the same strain but these early stages of growth are so different makes me think no two cannabis plants are the same, kinda like snow flakes & finger prints. Could be seeds from two different PK plants? I guess we'll see as they grow.

Food for thought, Chin... The mix you're using has advantageous water holding capabilities. It's a nice mix in that respect. You can pour as much water onto it as you want. It is only going to hold so much, and the amount it will hold is good. You will never make "mud." You just can NOT make mud in that medium. Sure, you can still over-water, but you can't make mud.

It's the nutrients and Ph I'm most concerned about. I screwed up not getting the medium properly prepared and PH'd. My concern is that with the plants in the medium now and the PH is 6.8 in both pots the run-off is the same. I'll get more accurate readings when my PH meter gets here today. Regardless, I need to bring down the PH in order for the plants to take up nutrients at 5.8. Got to take my kid to hospital.

Back
Top Bottom