Chinnubie's 2nd Shot at 2 Fem Purple Kush

I took some pics a few minutes ago and wanted to know what you'll thought?

I think you need to keep Lenny and Squiggy away from those 2 girls.

Lenny and Squiggy got nothing on me, I'm not too worried about them, I'm worried about me! Thanks for the joke though, it was much appreciated.

I'm getting some leaf roll on one of the first 5 fingered leaves on Shirley. It's beginning to appear on both plants but very slightly. You have to look for a while but I started to notice it more yesterday. I'm thinking cal/mag and I'll give them some on the next feeding/watering. My fear is that they won't take it up because the PH is a little high at 6.8. Is it okay to give PH down with plants in the medium? Will I have to keep giving the PH down on every feeding/watering?

Denise has commented that she doesn't even check her PH if the plants look fine, only when they have issues/deficiencies. I suppose there is a way to prepare the medium to accept the plants at the proper PH level. I guess I'll go find out more.

Lenny and Squiggy got nothing on me, I'm not too worried about them, I'm worried about me! Thanks for the joke though, it was much appreciated.

I'm getting some leaf roll on one of the first 5 fingered leaves on Shirley. It's beginning to appear on both plants but very slightly. You have to look for a while but I started to notice it more yesterday. I'm thinking cal/mag and I'll give them some on the next feeding/watering. My fear is that they won't take it up because the PH is a little high at 6.8. Is it okay to give PH down with plants in the medium? Will I have to keep giving the PH down on every feeding/watering?

Can you please take some photographs of the damage on your leaves so I may help diagnose the plant? Never give concentrated pH up or pH down directly to your plants, you will severely burn the roots and likely kill the plants. Only adjust your water or nutrient mixture as a last step before you water your plants. Only ever use pH up or pH down with water or a nutrient mixture to adjust the pH.

Okay King your wish is my command. I have the pics for you to look at in order to diagnose or confirm what I think is a Cal/Mag issue? I'll defer to your vast knowledge and hope we are in agreement. I realize I have to water the PH-Up/Down with a feeding or straight watering. I would never put straight micros into the medium. I hadn't properly gotten the promix ready for the plants which is why the PH stays at 6.8-6.9. I had thought when I introduced the nutrients to the plants/medium it would bring the PH down but after the second feeding of 1/2 strength step 2 it went down to 6.5. Would a full strength feeding bring the PH down? Sorry for the rambling here are the pics:

This is the really bad leaf on Shirley.
2014-07-26_07_14_54.jpg

2014-07-26_07_17_14.jpg

This is the subtle issue with Laverne even though she grew an inch overnight popping her above the rim of the bucket she's right behind Shirley and produces the exact same thing with each node.

2014-07-26_07_17_39.jpg

2014-07-26_07_17_44.jpg

2014-07-26_07_17_58.jpg

They don't appear terribly deficient just wanted a professional opinion.

I have to say that after witnessing what the promix and 1/2 strength step 2 Growology has done to my plants, I am sold on this method. The ability to control the entire grow from beginning to end really appeals to me. The node growth is incredible. The stems coming out of those nodes could catch up to the rest of the plant's canopy without much intervention, topping, fimming, etc. I have been contemplating fimming one of the plants to see how well it does compared to doing nothing to the other plant. I'd like to see if there will be any big differences in quality/quantity. Now, which plant to FIM? They're equal in output, but Shirley has been growing bigger leaves. I'll probably FIM Shirley it'll get her to slow down a bit, because she's going gang-busters even with the 150 watt HPS 8 inches away, she continues to grow upward. I know I could bend her over a little bit which was another thought, but I have to get the gardening wire and I'm not to sure of myself performing LST, since these are the 5th and 6th plants I've ever grown in my life. I want to get the PH under control, after that's accomplished I'll probably put them in 12/12. Next time I'm going to start them much earlier, putting them in flower not to long after the current residents of the available space are harvested. It'll be more of a flower closet, because the wardrobe box idea is beginning to make a lot of sense while we live here. It's a little riskier, but we'll have to be more careful.

Bend her like I did to my FTB-02. I pulled her(?) over just a little bit for a day. Then a little bit more the next day. By the 4th day of that, she was at a 30degree angle. I had been practicing HST and LST on some weeds in my yard all spring. After creating 16 tops on this one crazy weed, I figured I could give it a go on my high value plants.

Okay King your wish is my command. I have the pics for you to look at in order to diagnose or confirm what I think is a Cal/Mag issue? I'll defer to your vast knowledge and hope we are in agreement. I realize I have to water the PH-Up/Down with a feeding or straight watering. I would never put straight micros into the medium. I hadn't properly gotten the promix ready for the plants which is why the PH stays at 6.8-6.9. I had thought when I introduced the nutrients to the plants/medium it would bring the PH down but after the second feeding of 1/2 strength step 2 it went down to 6.5. Would a full strength feeding bring the PH down? Sorry for the rambling here are the pics:

This is the really bad leaf on Shirley.
2014-07-26_07_14_54.jpg

2014-07-26_07_17_14.jpg

This is the subtle issue with Laverne even though she grew an inch overnight popping her above the rim of the bucket she's right behind Shirley and produces the exact same thing with each node.

2014-07-26_07_17_39.jpg

2014-07-26_07_17_44.jpg

2014-07-26_07_17_58.jpg

They don't appear terribly deficient just wanted a professional opinion.

Your leaf damage appears to be from pH fluctuation. Pro-Mix is peat moss based and a soiless mixture.

You want pH 5.8 for hydroponic and soiless (peat moss and coco coir) and pH 6.5 for soil.

Here is a nutrient availability chart

pH_chart7.jpg

I've heard that a plant comes with all the genetic material required to produce x-amount of quantity regardless of plant manipulation. I'm testing this idea to see if true or not for myself. Shirley has been FIM'd and looks like she will give up 6 colas from the treatment. What's interesting will be to see if the quantity is similar or radically different between the two plants. I've discovered off-set leaves on the lower node branches on Shirley is this an early sign of trying to show it's sex? I haven't seen off-set leaves on a 24 day old vegging plant. Last time I didn't see this until they went to 12/12, is this good, bad, indifferent?

Will a full strength step 2 with cal/mag bring down the PH? How can I stabilize the PH to remain at 5.8? Will I always have to give PH- Down with every watering/feeding to keep the PH at the appropriate levels? Other than a couple of leaf issues the plants appear to be going gang-busters so what will be the long term affects doing nothing? I would guess it will create issues down the road?

I watered/fed with full strength step 2 Growology along with 2 tsp of Cal/Mag+. Shirley got 1 gallon 1 quart and Laverne got 3 quarts they both ran through with minimal run-off but enough to test PH and I'm thinking the calibration is off on the meter because when I got it I didn't do the proper calibration and now it's reading at 5.3 on both plants run-off. The 3 pronged Burpees soil/medium tester says 6.5-6.6. I calibrated the PH meter and it was off by .6 so the run-off was really at 5.9 but the medium remains at 6.5-6.6. It's getting closer. I guess we'll see what happens over the next couple of days. What household items can you use and in what proportions to bring PH down .5-.7 in the medium?

I've heard that a plant comes with all the genetic material required to produce x-amount of quantity regardless of plant manipulation. I'm testing this idea to see if true or not for myself. Shirley has been FIM'd and looks like she will give up 6 colas from the treatment. What's interesting will be to see if the quantity is similar or radically different between the two plants. I've discovered off-set leaves on the lower node branches on Shirley is this an early sign of trying to show it's sex? I haven't seen off-set leaves on a 24 day old vegging plant. Last time I didn't see this until they went to 12/12, is this good, bad, indifferent?

Will a full strength step 2 with cal/mag bring down the PH? How can I stabilize the PH to remain at 5.8? Will I always have to give PH- Down with every watering/feeding to keep the PH at the appropriate levels? Other than a couple of leaf issues the plants appear to be going gang-busters so what will be the long term affects doing nothing? I would guess it will create issues down the road?

You can see in my KingJohnC's 400 Watt LA Confidential Seed Cabinet Soil Indoor Grow Journal and my KingJohnC's Brainstorm Haze Soil Indoor Grow Journal how Topping, Low Stress Training and defoliation can be used to create large plants that produce large harvests and also keep low plant count numbers.

KingJohnC's 400 Watt LA Confidential Seed Cabinet Soil Indoor Grow Journal

KingJohnC's Brainstorm Haze Soil Indoor Grow Journal

When a plant begins to grow alternating nodes and branches with only 1x shoot per node it is a sign of maturity, I would wait until you see calyxes begin to form on the nodes before flowering your plants.

You will either have to use pH up or pH down to adjust the pH of your nutrient mixture. Vinegar or lemon juice can be used to lower the pH of a nutrient mixture. Not adjusting the pH of your nutrient mixture will stunt your plants growth, development and reduce your harvest.

What happens if you go 12/12 before actual known maturity? I'm guessing the yield will be lower? I have a 150 watt HPS on each plant so light penetration has been totally solved plus it gets a ton of light to the lower nodes which are going crazy right now, the lowest node branch has almost reached the top of the canopy on Shirley and Laverne grew at least 1/2 an inch last night. The FIM on Shirley has allowed those nodes to take off but I screwed-up the FIM by not cutting low enough and it looks like the leaves and center are going to make a come back. I'll take some pics and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Here's pics:

Laverne
2014-07-30_06_47_51.jpg

2014-07-30_06_45_32.jpg

2014-07-30_06_45_12.jpg

She's got the beginning of an off-set branch already as well, this is her first from what I can tell.

Shirley
2014-07-30_06_47_09.jpg

2014-07-30_06_45_17.jpg

2014-07-30_06_45_26.jpg

2014-07-30_06_43_08.jpg

2014-07-30_06_42_56.jpg

Shirley has had the off-set branches for at least a week prior to the one I discovered on Laverne. Hoping the early signs aren't gonna end up male even though the seeds were feminized. After seeing what happened to Grayhawk I'm gonna be a little leary until the calyxes are discovered making it an official female.

What happens if you go 12/12 before actual known maturity? I'm guessing the yield will be lower?

If you switch your plants to flower under 12/12 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness now without the plants developing calyxes first the plants will take additional time to develop calyxes and show sex.

King can you take a look at these latest pics of Shirley because I think I see calyxes? Tell me what you think?

2014-07-31_08_44_20.jpg

2014-07-31_08_41_35.jpg

You might have to go to the gallery to see them in a larger view, but I think I found a calyx. I'm not talking about the stipules, the little thin hair next to them. I double-checked to make sure it wasn't a dog hair or human hair so tell me what you think.

Still like to hear a comment or two about those curling leaves. Anybody? "Hello, Hello, Is there anybody out there? just, not if you can hear me, is there anyone at home?? Relax, Relax, It's just a little pin prick, I do believe it's working, GOOD, that'll keep ya goin for the show, come on it's time to go......." "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd. It popped into my head, don't ask me why? You older people didn't need the reference, but the younger crowd may not know about these songs we talk about sometimes. :tokin: :lot-o-toke: :peacetwo:

When will it be okay to start feeding them? :morenutes: They seem to be doing fine but, was wondering when it would be a good time to start? I was thinking when I see the 5 finger leaves? I need some guidance in this regard because I've not grown in this medium before. "Help I need someone, Help" "Help" by the Beatles man I'm really showing age now!! Used to listen to this album when I was 6 years old, it was in my Dads collection.

You can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!

King can you take a look at these latest pics of Shirley because I think I see calyxes? Tell me what you think?

2014-07-31_08_44_20.jpg

2014-07-31_08_41_35.jpg

You might have to go to the gallery to see them in a larger view, but I think I found a calyx. I'm not talking about the stipules, the little thin hair next to them. I double-checked to make sure it wasn't a dog hair or human hair so tell me what you think.

I can make out something in the first photograph that appears may be a calyx with a pistil. you would need a magnifier to get a good look an verify.

Back
Top Bottom