Astonr420 - White Widow Clone CFL Indoor First Time Grow 2011

Hey Aston,

Nice little yield.. :) I can't wait until I get to that point.
Hey my little plant that was flowering now seems to have converted to veg.. It's not growing much, but do see a few new growths (haha).. Who knows what's going to happen next. I am just letting it ride.

Can you provide details of your curing process?
I'm just asking cause I thought it might help us newbies who haven't actually done it yet.
Without reading up on the details, I know you have to hang them in a dry in cool place like a closet or garage. I guess you want to use a fan as well.. After that I guess they are ready to take down when the branches snap. Then you trim them and place the bud in jars. You unscrew the jar every day to let any excess moisture out.

You bring up a good point about the light. When is it ok, and when is it not ok to introduce light? As you said I read it was always bad during flowering, but you could use a green light to view them. I also heard that it is not good to introduce light for to your cured stored buds. Some say it is best to place them in a jar that is black or covered where light can't come in.

Also when you place the bud in the jars and let air out daily, how do you know when you have removed enough moisture to just keep the lid on and store your smoke indefinitely?

Hey Aston,

Nice little yield.. :) I can't wait until I get to that point.
Hey my little plant that was flowering now seems to have converted to veg.. It's not growing much, but do see a few new growths (haha).. Who knows what's going to happen next. I am just letting it ride.

Can you provide details of your curing process?
I'm just asking cause I thought it might help us newbies who haven't actually done it yet.
Without reading up on the details, I know you have to hang them in a dry in cool place like a closet or garage. I guess you want to use a fan as well.. After that I guess they are ready to take down when the branches snap. Then you trim them and place the bud in jars. You unscrew the jar every day to let any excess moisture out.

You bring up a good point about the light. When is it ok, and when is it not ok to introduce light? As you said I read it was always bad during flowering, but you could use a green light to view them. I also heard that it is not good to introduce light for to your cured stored buds. Some say it is best to place them in a jar that is black or covered where light can't come in.

Also when you place the bud in the jars and let air out daily, how do you know when you have removed enough moisture to just keep the lid on and store your smoke indefinitely?

whats good debudman!!!,
my man you pretty much have that description or at the general idea of curing!!! only thing is that your going to want trim them before you hang dry!!! i didnt try the hang drying method for the fact that i needed those stems for my butter that i made!!! so i tried the paper bag method!! which i kinda did wrong, but after doing some reading here about that method, i put the buds out on a newspaper and let them get a little dry then set them back into the bag to dry the rest of the way, for the curing jar, i had a mason jar that i used to store my buds in that i get from dispensaries, but i felt this is more important reason to use it. with that jar i had taped up the jar with electrical tape so that no light goes into the jar!!! anyways yea with curing you want to open your jar at least one time a day, what i do is open the jar for at least one hour but i do it for 2 hours and let them dry out real good, then jar them again, then the next day i do the same thing.... i really dont know when you can jar it and leave it for the next time you want to get more smoke out, i know your gonna want to make sure that the stem snaps and not bends at all, always open your jar after your done curing still just to make sure to checck for any mold smells or growth!!!

:peacetwo:

Thanks Astron for the details of your cure.
I have heard and actually seen the bag method from a friend who did this way back in the day. It sounds like a good idea to set out on newspapers first to dry it fairly well before putting in the bag. I would think though that the bag method may introduce more of a chance of mold, but I'm sure if done right it works as well as hanging. I suppose either way could get mold if the humidity isn't right. I will have to read more about it as well as curing in the jars. At some point you should be able to feel comfortable with not having to open the damn thing every day (haha). I think that could get real old fast. Some people don't have this problem though as they will smoke it all in a few days... lol.

Well glad to hear your happy with the high of this strain. I will have to try the white widow myself and grow by seed. That is as soon as I can master the art of cloning.
I'm still trying to root 2 clones that have been under dome and light for 13 days now.. Still no roots. I picked up some Super Thrive hormone today to try on my next round. I hear that it really accelerates the rooting process. Some have rooted in like 4-5 days with it.

Well I have to go pickup a couple tarps. My pain in the (_|_) neighbor told me he will be cutting off this tree that is growing right near my plants. I want to cover them so he doesn't peek over and see em. (Never a dull moment man)... I think I need a beer now. :)

Talk to you later Aston

- Peace -

Hey Astron,

Here's my plants (2 months in)

DSC010406.JPG

DSC010396.JPG

those look so nice!!! yea it looks like that one that was flowering is all confused, thats why the leaves are like that, she was getting confused... but thats just my thought, i read somewhere that a plant could have leaves that would twirl, like in a spin motion, when it was in flowering and then put back into 18/6.

about the curing part, i forgot to mention that when it is still in the bag, you want to sift them lightly, so that you turn the buds, so that the ones at the bag side go to the inside and the inside buds go to the outerside of the bag, otherwise, you will get mold in the middle where all the moisture is

Right now i am looking for a cloning dome cus i have to try and clone my afgoo's. i wanna see if they are females... so i will be looking for some advice on that soon enough!!!

Yeah, she is definately confused..
She has pretty substantial flowering from the bottom on up and now just recently the tops have converted to veg and are growing... Well I guess being new to the grow it is best to get the most complicated situation at first as a learning experience... haha.

Ok, Yes! that makes sense to rotate the product around in the bag.

I had terrible success with my cloning.
I tried 3 and it is now like day 14 and 2 died with one surviver.
I will try again with my Purple OG Kush. I did most right, but left a few things out.. Here is what I would do.

- Locate a nice little branch at least 3 nodes down from the top with at least 3 leaf sets.

- Bring all your equipment out near your plant so you can perform the process quick
Get yourself one of those little cloning or seedling trays at your nearest nursery or hardware store.

- Cut near the end of the stem at a 45 degree angle with a clean sterile razor blade or scissors (about 1/4 or so from the main stem)

- dip end of cloning stem in cloning gel (about 1/4 inch)
If using cloning powder, dip the stem in ph'd chlorine free water for about 20 seconds

- Slide stem of clone into peat pellet or whatever medium you will be using
Of course the pellet will have to be moist and expanded.

- Now place in the tray

- Place clear plastic dome over tray
(best to close vents if you have any)

- Mist the top of the dome with 4-5 sprays as needed.
Always make sure there is enough moisture in the dome
DO NOT POUR WATER IN THROUGH TOP HOLE OF PELLET.
DO NOT WATER TRAY AND LEAVE STANDING WATER IN TRAY

- Use a flourecent light fixture setup or a CFL light. Most say with the CFL
that you can run a 45 watt that uses about 12 actual watts of electricity (something like that). I used a 75 just cause I always seem to go overkill on everything. Then place the light a few inches from the top of the dome.

Also you can try a product called "Super Thrive." It's like a rooting hormone that contains a bunch of vitamins. I heard it really accellerates the rooting process. I'm not sure how to use it though. Maybe someone can comment on that. I believe you put 1 drop in a cup of water and then dip the clone
stem in there before transferring to the rooting gel or powder.

Hope this helps

-Peace-

everything there sounds right to me!!! i dont know why you had 2 die!!! but at least you had a single survivor!!! I heard that you should use rockwool for the cloning, its a better medium to use to root something, they recommend it for the seed starting as well!!! i feel ya onn that overkill thing!! i do the same!!! kinda like wit the kids, get em bigger, they will grow into them!!! lol
with your clones, did you cut the fingers off to make it keep its water retained??? and did you check the RH inside the dome??? it should be at 90 - 95% RH. you should try for 95% but 90 will do fine!!!

I heard good things about the rockwool too.
Do you know where you can get it locally?
Well your locally is a bit different than mine, but if you name a popular
store I probably have one here too.

Oh yeah, I cut the fingers off the largest leaf.
I didn't check humidity as I don't have a meter, but I know that there has
always been constant moisture in the dome. There is always droplets of water on the top and sides. So I guess it is above 90% humidity.

Today my Di%&head neighbor cut down his pine tree that provided privacy between our houses. Now it's wide open which sucks. Then the tree was like supporting the fence since 2 of the posts are rotted. It never fails when you get a grow going just for the short duration someone has to disrupt it by doing something like that.. Couldn't wait till after harvest, has to cut it down now... haha.. Wouldn't be so bad, but the guy is a sarcastic a**h*le.. and now I will have to be fixing the fence soon.
"Ok I ranted.. I feel better now, thanks for listening" haha

Nice!!!!!

I heard good things about the rockwool too.
Do you know where you can get it locally?
Well your locally is a bit different than mine, but if you name a popular
store I probably have one here too.

Oh yeah, I cut the fingers off the largest leaf.
I didn't check humidity as I don't have a meter, but I know that there has
always been constant moisture in the dome. There is always droplets of water on the top and sides. So I guess it is above 90% humidity.

Today my Di%&head neighbor cut down his pine tree that provided privacy between our houses. Now it's wide open which sucks. Then the tree was like supporting the fence since 2 of the posts are rotted. It never fails when you get a grow going just for the short duration someone has to disrupt it by doing something like that.. Couldn't wait till after harvest, has to cut it down now... haha.. Wouldn't be so bad, but the guy is a sarcastic a**h*le.. and now I will have to be fixing the fence soon.
"Ok I ranted.. I feel better now, thanks for listening" haha

you should go and take every branch that he cut down and beat that neighbor down with em!!! doesnt he know that you are trying to run a successful grow op here??? how rude is he!!!??? anyways yea so how you gonna run the tarp to where it doesnt take away the light from your lil lady??? and no problem listening, i kinda didnt have a choice, its in my journal!!! lol

Yeah I should have knocked him out with one of those branches...haha. But being that he was a neighbor I didn't want to be sleeping in the local county jail. Then who would take care of my ladies... lol.

As far as the tarp situation, I just drove like 3 stakes down toward the outside of my planter box. Then I screwed the tarp through the eyeholes onto the top of the stakes and let it hang down blocking the entire front of the plants. The top was the only place light and air could come in. The other plant I dropped a weight bench over the top of the plant so if any debree dropped down it had a roof for cover :). I then draped a burplap cloth over the bench so it hung over on both sides. This way nobody could see the plant and it could breath. I only had to do this for about 4 hours or so..
Then I watered good and gave the veggers a nice misting. I'll send you a picture of it if I do it again, kind of looked funny. Now I am seriously considering going down to home depot and buying like 3 or for of those fiberglass panels. I can frame them in and place them on top of the fence. This will provide total privacy.

Sorry for hijacking your journal man... I guess I didn't want to pollute the main forum with my nonsense..haha..

Peace

nice try a 400 hps on those!!!

you cant hijack something that has already landed!!! lol well its good to hear that they are still in the cover of stealth!!! cant wait to see those pix!!!

Deerhunter??? what???? on what??? i dont understand???

Ok Kewl Aston, glad that to hear that you don't mind my polluting your journal...haha.
But if at anytime you get tired, just give the word. Then I will have to create my own journal to pollute..

Oh and now my neighbor is talking about getting together with me to replace the 2 rotted posts in my fence... Geeze... Will have to create a new tarp makeover that will work for that one. I think with all this stress and worry I may just stick to an indoor grow after this one :). Although I'm probably worrying about nothing since they are legal and all. But still.. you can't help but think the worst. I remember years ago when I launched an outdoor grow... everytime a helicopter flew by I freaked...haha... The stress factor was at an all time high... In fact I had to remain high due to the stress...
:laughtwo:

Ok Kewl Aston, glad that to hear that you don't mind my polluting your journal...haha.
But if at anytime you get tired, just give the word. Then I will have to create my own journal to pollute..

Oh and now my neighbor is talking about getting together with me to replace the 2 rotted posts in my fence... Geeze... Will have to create a new tarp makeover that will work for that one. I think with all this stress and worry I may just stick to an indoor grow after this one :). Although I'm probably worrying about nothing since they are legal and all. But still.. you can't help but think the worst. I remember years ago when I launched an outdoor grow... everytime a helicopter flew by I freaked...haha... The stress factor was at an all time high... In fact I had to remain high due to the stress...
:laughtwo:

lol thats great!!! look boss da plane!!! de plane!!! lol i feel ya on that, when i go outside for a bowl break a sit wit my ladies and see what they see and what can see them!!! so far them not being so tall is a great factor!!! but yea anyways, im sure cyclist would like to close my journal for the white widow, so come on over to my afgoo journal, people are still talking with me there!!! we include more people into our convo!!!
i like the outdoor grow cus its so much better on my wallet!!! but i get what you mean with the stress, i had to pad lock my front gate so nobody can just wonder in, and then the owners of the 4plex i live in had new gate put in and there is a gate that leads from my neighbors yard to my yard, and they have dogs too!!! so when they put that gate in my dog went and had to dig a hole and then he went over to their yard and they kept fighting from under the gate... now when they replaced the gate, they left the old wooden door that they took off in my side of the yard, so i wedged it back into the space infront of the gate they replaced it with!!! but they can see over the wall still!!! but they now its a legal grow!! and they are cool wit it!!! better be!!! anyways, yea... head over to the afgoo!!!

Thanks for sharing your grow with us!

Don't forget to head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too! :cheer:

I’m moving this to completed journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Whats good SG!!!

Oh why thank you, LOL, cyclist just moved this over to the completed journals today!!! I haven't had a reply in while on this journal.

come on over and check out the other 2 grows I got growing on, the newest 1 is under way right now, it is sponsored by one of the :420: sponsors, Blue Planet Nutrients!!! Im about to pick up the clones on Saturday!!! hope to see you there!!!

Back
Top Bottom