Atavistic Ape Learning RDWC & LED - Pure Kush & Aurora Indica From Seed - 2014

re: Atavistic Ape Learning RDWC & LED - Pure Kush & Aurora Indica From Seed 2014

Heres what you should do.

Go to your local hydroponics store and purchase Botanicare's AquaShield. I believe they changed the name to Hydroguard again ( it used to be called this)

Or order it online. If you are growing in any for of hydroponics, you should be using this product. It not only acts as a preventative against pythium and other root issues, but it actually obliterates dying dead roots and turns it into usable energy for the plants

I use it for germinating seeds as well. it saved my first grow when i encountered some root rot issues, and i wont grow without it as a matter of fact.

I just found out its no longer available in Canada supposedly, at least the local hydro store cant order it in anymore cause of agriculture Canada's regulations

Its a liquid compost solution thats derived from composted poultry litter. I see the development if root issues, and without running ANY sort of beneficial bacteria in your resevoir, you're going to encounter root rot.

Trust me, this product will do nothing but good for you and your grow!

a solid investment i think!

re: Atavistic Ape Learning RDWC & LED - Pure Kush & Aurora Indica From Seed 2014

I'll tell you what, if the next dose of zone doesn't work - ill go beneficial as was originally intended. My feeling is there is no way you can keep something completely sterile so the next best thing is beneficial bacteria.

For now I'm just going to watch em.....and contemplate...

GreenThumb, He is actually running Dutch Masters Zone at the moment and it acts kinda like Peroxide (H202). So technically he shouldn't be getting root rot. He wouldn't be able to run beneficiary bacteria at this point as it would kill them.

And yea Atavistic Ape if that doesnt clear it up I might would try a reservoir change and do something different because you shouldn't be getting slime or root rot! Aquashield is for sure my favorite!

Humidity for vegging should be around 60% if possible! They love it. Anything above RH 75% plants cant transpire and drown.

Your girls are looking good!!

:goodjob:

I'm well aware hes using DM zone, but as you can see, it doesn't work.

Zone is a great product if you DONT want instant results with ONE application!!

if you want to clear up ANY root issues, Aquashield is your product. H202 products are great but a sterile environment in your res is next to impossible.

I'm sure DM Zone works temporarily for some people, but lay off the Zone and your Root issues will come back i guarantee.

I have actually run out of aquashield about 2 weeks ago.. My plants have suffered a little, but even with water temps at almost 28 degress somedays, i still haven't ran into any root issues this grow. With higher water tempertatures, its impossible to raise the Dissolved Oxygen levels in your water. Higher water temps + less oxygen = root issues guaranteed.. Dont be fooled tho, adding a bigger airstone and a larger air pump WILL NOT add more oxygen to the water. The only way to get more oxygen into the water is to lower the water temp. A good way to prevent any root issues in warm water is to have weekly applications of aquashield.

I suggest Aquashield as a method of resolution that will show results right away.. Any dead and dying root matter will be turned into useful energy for the plant. Does Zone do this? hell no!!!

IF you want to see results, dont fuck around and go with aquashield. h202 treatments are only temporary since the h202 just evaporates and turns into h20 after a day or two, and then the Pythium or other root issue you are trying to defeat just comes back full force.

Like i said.. products like DM Zone.. H202.. are a TEMPORARY fix!! if you want a permanent solution to root issues as well as also benefiting from having a killer healthy root zone. Aquashield is the way to go. Add in some water soluble mycorrhizae to your reservoir and watch your plants explode with growth!! my suggestion.. General Hydroponics Subculture-M or Plant Success' Great White.

Best of luck with the ladies!! i'm lurking around in the back here!! so far everything is looking great. Get that aquashield and you should literally have nothing to worry about other than making sure the PPM isn't too high and the PH stays around 5.5-6.2. I like to let my PH fluctuate a little bit since certain elements are only available at certain PH levels. So when i do a res change i'll have the water at a PH level of 5.4 or 5.5. By the time i change out the water after a week, PH is about 6.1-6.3 every time.

PS i'm not a botanicare Rep!! i swear!! i just swear by this product for hydroponics. With seeing first hand just what this product does to dead roots, or roots about to die off, i cant help but suggest it to everyone who grows cannabis in hydro or soil even. Even if you dont have root issues, it does nothing but benefit your plant by allowing the beneficial colony of microbes to thrive in your root system and allow a much better nutrient intake and a better more vigorous growing plant.

Lol.... You dont have to sell me!!! Im already a aquashield believer and user!!! I recommend it on any DWC or hydro grow! And you are correct H202 products are for short term use. Hopefully he will make the switch!
:thumb:

i hope so too.. not the recent picture post but last.. those roots looked in trouble for sure.. also some of the plants looked like they had they developing stages of a magnesium deficiency.

Atavistic Ape, Are you using Distilled, RO or Tap water? if using Distilled or RO you need to supplement with calcium and magnesium. i sugguest botanicare's Cal/mag+. If you're going Botanicare with Aquashield (hydroguard its now called again!! i always forget) might as well get the Cal/mag+ too! buy bulk, it saves you trips to the store in the long run!!

Great advice. I use GH's subculture b and m to essentially the same effect.

The deficiency might be showing up because of the low humidity. It does the same thing to me if its low. The leaves probably have a hard time building with calcium if there isnt enough moisture present.

I hear you Greenthumb J, and I appreciate your advice. As a matter of fact I am ordering some Aquashield tomorrow and am going to add it next change instead of the zone. Will Aquashield mess with any of the other nutrients I am using (besides the Zone, which I am stopping)?

As for water I am using a HydroLogic small boy which I mistakenly thought would take out more PPM but it turns out it’s just good for taking out chlorine (unless you buy the $80 RO adapter – which I will be adding). So the water I use starts off (after the filter) at around PPM: 190 and PH: 8.

This post also helped me on the whole sterile/live issue: Live or Sterile? Why I choose Live

When I first walked into the Hydro store a few months ago, I was planning on doing Fox Farm with Aquashiled. I’m a little pissed at myself for being so easily swayed into the seemingly easier (or perhaps lazy) way of using DM line with Zone and H2O2 to fight off any high temp root issues. It might work for some people, but it isn’t working for me.

I was about two days late changing out both systems water/nutes and I noticed a little deficiency in two plants (turning light green). The thing is, the roots looked mostly white with just a hint of very light brown. I was starting to think I could get away with just finishing this veg stage up with DM Zone before switching to Aquashield in flower.

So I changed out the nutes in both systems. I added ¾ of the suggested amount of DM Grow A/B, Add.27, and Cal-Mag. I added 100% of Zone and Silica hoping the boost in Zone would take care of any remaining issues, which it didn’t. It actually looks worse a day after the change. The plants look healthy and happy and seem to really enjoy the new batch. Unfortunately so does whatever the hell is growing under the lid.

After changing the water and nutes:
S1:
PH: 5.71 (today, a day later, it was up to 6.46 and I added 10ml PH Down)
PPM: 765 (today it’s 748)
S2:
PH: 6.03 (I added 10ml PH Down)
PPM: 820

Room Temp: 81
Canopy: 81
RH: 60

AI1:
0196_AI1_8-4.JPG

0197_AI1_Roots_8-4.JPG

AIa:
0199_AIa_8-4.JPG

0200_AIa_Roots_8-4.JPG

AIb:
0201_AIb_8-4.JPG

0202_AIb_Roots_8-4.JPG

PK1:
0203_PK1_8-4.JPG

0204_PK1_Roots_8-4.JPG

PKa:
0205_PKa.JPG

0206_PKa_Roots_8-4.JPG

PKb (runt):
0207_PKb_8-4.JPG

0208_PKb_Roots_8-4.JPG

Is this normal, the little things sticking out of the bottom of the plant? (sorry for the blurry pics, I just can't seem to get a good shot of it)
0210_PKb_Normal_8-4.JPG

0209_Pkb_Normal.JPG

So, on another topic, I’m having a problem with where to start trimming the ladies. After all the reading I did I thought it would be no problem - just snip snip here and there, top em and that’s that. Now that it is time I am having a hard time pulling the trigger. With the roots the way they are I don’t want to mess with them but I feel it is time to do something. The undergrowth is not getting enough light and I need to top at least the tall ones soon (like a few days ago).

Trimming questions:
• Can I trim some fan leaves so that the lower nodes can get some light, and if so where – they are touching branch growth which means I cant cut it close to the stalk. (see pic below)
• Where do I begin when everything is so tightly packed? (second pic below)
• As far as topping, I think I’m just going to top them all (just the tippy tops).
• Does it look like I can start pulling clones off any of these?

I've read a ton on this subject but would love somebody with personal experience to expound on these basic questions.

0215_Trim_8-4.JPG

0216_Trim_8-4.JPG

>>>This post also helped me on the whole sterile/live issue

I'm glad you made it to one of TheCapn's articles. Follow what he does and you will be gloriously successful. I am setting up my current big tent based on his methods, moved from rockwool blocks to rockwool croutons, and clone with his methods as well, slightly tweaked tho.

>>>Can I trim some fan leaves so that the lower nodes can get some light, and if so where – they are touching branch growth which means I cant cut it close to the stalk.

You could, but try just bending the branches out of the way first. The plant is going to use up as much stored nutrients in flower as it can, so try to leave as many fans on as possible. You could also try bending over the entire branch lightly (LST) and tie it into place. dont use anything that would sever the stem tissue, and dont bend too much and break a branch.

>>>Where do I begin when everything is so tightly packed?

Dont be getting in there with scissors. If you do feel you need to take a leaf off, grab it by the stem of the leaf and bend it down pretty good, then give a quick little tug downwards and leaf should just pop off from the stem

>>>As far as topping, I think I’m just going to top them all (just the tippy tops)

In the last picture in your last post, i would top that plant at the 6th node. Looking at your plants, i would top them all. Take the top fan leaves and any growth with it. cut just above the node below the top shoot.

>>>Does it look like I can start pulling clones off any of these?

Yes.

Your OP (original post) doesn't say whether these are from feminized seeds or regular seeds. If regular, you should take cuttings and put them into 12/12 light cycle to determine sex.

Everything look green an healthy there! :thumb:

I am about to start building a RDWC myself. Except my RDWC buckets will be about 27gal each! should grow a monster plant!!!

Doh! I can't believe I forgot such an important piece of information. They are fem seeds, all of them.

I'm glad you made it to one of TheCapn's articles. Follow what he does and you will be gloriously successful. I am setting up my current big tent based on his methods, moved from rockwool blocks to rockwool croutons, and clone with his methods as well, slightly tweaked tho.

I'm about to put together the RDWC for the flower tent so I will definitly look into TheCapn's articles. I thought those croutons looked interesting.

Here is the rest of the flower tent I already put together:

0176_Flower_Tent.JPG

Secret Jardin Darkroom II Pro DR120: really disappointed in this tent. While I like the openings on the side, I could of gotten that for $100 less. What I was expecting was metal corners and hangers, instead I got plastic. What Secret Jardin doesn't understand is that if you live in an arid hot place, plastics break down at an amazing rate. Hard to trust thousands of dollars in lights/plants to plastic hangers.
0178_Flower_Tent.JPG

0179_Flower_Tent.JPG

Not sure if I can mention the light maker but here they are.
0177_Flower_Tent.JPG

0180_Flower_Tent.JPG

0181_Flower_Tent.JPG

Veg Setting
0185_Flower_Tent_Veg.JPG

Flower Setting
0184_Flower_Tent_Bloom.JPG

Filter and hangers. I like to zip tie as a backup to the bungee.
0186_Flower_Tent.JPG

0187_Flower_Tent.JPG

0189_Flower_Tent.JPG

0190_Flower_Tent.JPG

Fan control.
0191_Fan_Controler.JPG

I like to buy multiple air pumps instead of one large one for a few reasons. If one dies while I'm not around the plants will have a fighting chance. Also these are much quieter which is a must for me.
0192_Air_Pumps.JPG

Intake fans (6") that will be on a thermostat along with output fans.
0194_Intake_Fans.JPG

Was thinking a two system RDWC so that I can stagger 2 plants at a time. Also am planning on buying CFL side and middle lighting.

Almost forgot, I will be taking your advice on trimming/training. In retrospect it feels like its a "no duh" to LST and bend before snip. I think (know) I spend way too much time staring at and over analyzing these plants.

:thedoubletake: Wait, that is a SECRET JARDIN?!?! WITH PLASTIC CONNECTORS!?!?! You may want to check into this i thought Secret Jardin had metal joints? It could possibly be a fake?!? I would never put up a tent with plastic joints... Your whole setup looks great except for this. I would return to the company.... Just my two cents...

You can get a lighthouse hydro tent... With side openings on each side and metal joints for $130... I didnt think it was possible but im even happier with my purchase now as i was torn between the Secret Jardin and my lighthouse hydro tent.

I mean the one joint is already bending? .... sorry im getting angry thinking about this and its not even my tent....

:thedoubletake:

Wow! What a nice setup! And I have to agree, plastic with age and heat and humidity will do all sorts of weird things. You should be able to just buy those brackets if you want to upgrade. Other than that looking GREAT! Wish I had two LED panels!

A couple questions for you.

Where is your exhaust fan? on the exterior of the tent? I would suggest you attach it directly to the Carbon filter, then attach the ducting out of the tent. Youll get the best draw from the carbon filter with the fan attached directly to it and not have to worry about bends and twists from the filter through the tent to the fan, causing more stress on your fan. This way increases the lifetime of your fan, at least i think so.

What is your CFM of your exhaust fan, as well as the intake fans? If smell is not an issue, then dont worry about the exhaust fan not being higher CFM than your intake. If smell IS an issue, you will want to maintain a negative pressure in the tent with a higher CFM fan on your exhaust and a lower one on your intake

And i'll take a guess as to your LED.. Advanced LED diamond series? thats without looking it up.

You are allowed to mention company names, just no links to non-sponsor pages, or the mods will nuke the links and send you a PM saying not to do that again!

Yeah, not happy about the tent. The packaging looks legit but so do the fake handbags, watches, sun glasses, etc. China imitates — so who knows. I'm going to get brackets and just leave a bad review where I bought the tent. I'll also complain directly, who knows, maybe they will send metal brackets. Also, Hunter, I will look into Lighthouse Hydro - I plan on expanding as soon as I get everything up to par.

Where is your exhaust fan? on the exterior of the tent?

There is a window directly behind the tent. So the fan is right next to the tent and needs another few feet of ducting to get to where I plan on exhausting. I didnt really feel comfortable hanging it in that tent. Also room and heat were other down sides to having it inside the tent.

What is your CFM of your exhaust fan, as well as the intake fans?

The outtake fans are 440CFM while the intake fans are 240 CFM. The other tent, which is open to the room from two sides, has a filter with another 440 CFM acting more like a room exhaust. I figure with both I shouldn't have to worry about smell. I'm also not too worried about the two 90 degree angles you see, the fan will mostly be running a constant low flow (although it will be hooked up to a thermostat) with the intake fan on a timer. To be honest I still haven't fully worked it out, I still need to build something to fit in the window and accommodate two intakes and two exhausts (thinking of a Y for both but not sure how that is going to pan out) without looking too fishy. I also need to figure out how I'm going to keep them off the floor. I have kept everything that is plugged in off the floor in case of water leaks.

And i'll take a guess as to your LED.. Advanced LED diamond series? thats without looking it up.

Damn close, they are Platinum series. :thumb:

Well shit! sorry to hear about your crappy Chinese knock off.. I got a Chinese made tent and i'm loving it. All metal pole contruction. I'll go take a picture of the connecting points and i'll show you what i like compared to what i saw in your tent.. next post tho

Looking fishy? its summertime and your house is hot as an elephants asshole. (it very well could be!) Portable AC unit is a good cover up to silver ducting poking out of the windows!

I'm thinking with a 440 CFM fan which is WAY more than you need for a 4x4 tent only running LED's in there, you wont need an intake fan really. Unless you're drawing some cold air specifically from somewhere. Just make sure thats theres filters on the intake to prevent anything unwanted from entering your tents

Not saying I got a knockoff (nor knocking Chinese products), more replying to HunterNitro and saying if I had been ripped off, I most likely wouldn't know. The fans are overkill (hence controllers) but I'm hoping they come in handy as I expand. The looking fishy part is more in a few months when things cool off, portable AC was my go to excuse ( because at the moment it IS like a really dry dusty elephants asshole). I have gardeners that walk about two feet in front of my window once a week, that's one of my major concerns. Was going to set up a timed fresh air intake to circulate the room when things cool off, but again I still haven't worked out exactly how I am going to do this.

After taking your advice and doing a little leaf manipulation the branches are poking through nicely, going to train them out and up. :thanks:

I appreciate you guys hanging on for the ride! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom