Aspen's Top Feed Undercurrent RDWC Blue Dream

AspenCultivator

Hi Everyone! I have today my one-week-old feminized Blue Dream from HSO, from seed. Welcome to my grow journal! I'm glad you've taken the time to check it out. The equipment used for this grow is listed below.

Tent: Mars Hydro 27"x27"x63"
Ventilation: iPower 4" filter and fan, with controller and Lasko Curve 5 speed fan
Lights: Horticulture Lighting Group - 135 Quantum Board
Nutes: GH Flora Series with GH Defguard

The system is a 2 bucket undercurrent recirculating deep water culture system. 1 site for the plant, and 1 site for a control bucket. Plant site uses a 6" net-pot lid. I'm doing this for a few different reasons, namely I want the consistency which comes from bigger reservoirs in PH, temp, and PPM counts. On to the progress!

Day 1 - November 26th, 2018

full

The tent is setup and the seed was placed in a damp paper towel. I originally started with just a DWC system, hence the single bucket.

After 36 hours in the damp paper towel... November 28th, 2018

full

The seed is completely out of the hard shell, so it's definitely time to go into the Rapid Rooter and straight into the system.

Day 4 - 2 days after placed into the rapid rooter - November 30th, 2018

full

Things are coming right along. The light is around 20 inches away from the seedling at this point.

The next few days are fairly standard, other than the fact that I began work on the undercurrent RDWC system. I transferred the entire net-pot lid into a blue bucket and started building the new system.

full

Here's a shitty cell-phone pic I took as my "shopping" list at the shitty big blue hardware store down the road. I got impatient, and sprang for the 1 1/2" Uniseals and completely changed the entire system because of it, on the fucking fly. Anyway, I got all my pieces and parts, and spray-painted the white PVC parts black. I didn't get any pictures of the system, because it looks exactly like the above pic, and I've already torn it down.

Why? Well, I added 3.5 gallons of water and ran the pump. The pump is a 370 gph pump, and for only 3 gallons it rips. The circulation rate is awesome, however I very quickly started getting a bigger-than-small leak on the elbow directly above the pump in the above pic. I probably didn't cement the joint well enough. After cementing it a little more and giving it some time to cure, the leak was fixed. Yay. I added the rest of the water (another 3.5 gallons, for 7 total) and left the pump to run for a while. I came back about 30 minutes later, and there's water around the base of the right side bucket (not the pump side).

Fuck Uniseals!!! No, seriously, fuck 'em! I have extensive experience in the trades, and know how to debur, smooth, sand, etc to get a clean fit. I added silicone on the outside (after draining the water) and allowed it to cure for 8 hours. I added 7 gallons and ran for 15 minutes to test for leaks. Wouldn't ya know, there was the smallest of drops forming at the bottom of all the silicone. Welp, fuck that, bulkheads it is. I'll have the new parts in the next few days and it'll be up and running. For now, though, it'll stay a DWC grow. (I used the required hole saw, and ran it backwards so as not to split the plastic. I used a very sharp x-acto knife to debur, and used 220 grit sand paper to take the smallest bit of material off to smooth the edges down. Still leaked.)

Day 7 - December 3rd, 2018

full

She's really taking off, and it seems like that first set of real leaves are doubling in size every single day.

full

Root shot. I only see one, and it's around 5-6" long. Here you can see the blue air tubing which is going to my 2" air stone. You also see the brown tube, which is acting as an air lift. Buried under the hydroton, around 1/2" under the rim of the net pot, is a drip ring. I'm pumping air into the top of the brown tube, which is forcing water to rise and then flood into the drip ring, and drip around the roots without saturating the rapid rooter or drowning the roots. I've buried the drip ring because I don't want any growth on top of the hydroton.

That clear tubing you see in the above pic at the bottom of the net pot is a hole I had to repair. I cut the net pot wrong, and had to somehow allow roots to pass through, but not the hydroton. So, I tied some clear tubing to bridge that gap.

I have done one water change since I started. I tested my PPMs yesterday, and it was up at 536! My water comes out around 230, so it was all the PH down and also not cleaning the temporary bucket. I changed the water and added 1/4 tsp of Defguard per gallon (so 3/4 tsp total, the res has about 3.5 gallons of water.) I then PHed down to 5.7. Now, fast forward to tonight, I'm getting a layer of bubbles on top of my res water. Is this from the Defguard? I went to my local hydro shop looking for Hydroguard. He had some, but talked me into Defguard instead. As far as I know, this is essentially the same stuff (the labels are almost identical, Defguard just has a higher concentration of the main ingredient.) There is almost zero information online about Defguard, so I'm not really sure what to expect using it.

Res stats:
Water Temp: Consistently 73*F
PH: Corrected down to 5.7
PPM: Starts around 236. After using PH Down and adding Defguard, it's around 337.

full

I'm also slightly concerned about this pale-yellowish buildup I just noticed today. I faintly remember reading about beneficial bennies causing this, but I want to throw the pic up online and make sure that's what it is and not some other deficiency/issue.

Some other information I haven't included yet:
Air temps are maintained at 79*F while light is on, and 72ish F when lights are off.
RH stays a steady 43% throughout light cycle.

Whew, we made it! First post down. I'm sure I forgot some things, so please please ask me! I'd love to have conversations with everybody about growing, as no one around me is interested in it. Since this is my first grow, I'm looking to make some new friends, and also have a second (and third, fourth, etc) pair of eyes on my plant to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. I built an 18 site NFT hydro system a few years ago for romaine lettuce (just got a pet rabbit at that time) so I'm familiar with hydro in general, but not cannabis cultivation. Thanks so much for stopping by, and please feel free to make ANY comments, good or bad!

Hello all,

Today is a much smaller update. I'm going to attempt to update once a day, as this is going to be a place I'll look back on and see progress etc.

Day 8 From Seed

PH: 6.2
PPM: 400
Water Temp: 71.6F
Tent Temps: low 73, high 79
RH: low 39, high 44

PH has risen and PPM has fallen. I remember reading about PH and PPM rising and falling and what it meant, so I need to go look that up again to see if this is on track. I adjusted PH down to 5.7, and PPMs rose to 456. I still am seeing some pale yellow build-up going on inside the res, and it's grown bigger today. Nothing looks out of the normal though so I'm going to stay the course until something bad happens. Or, you know, something.

I posted in the problems forum for anyone interested, and the link is located here.

Another day down! It's crazy to see how fast this is going.

Day 9 From Seed

PH: 6.0
PPM: 465
Water Temp: 70.5F
Tent Temp: 73F low to 79F high
RH: 39% low to 44% high

Today I ordered Hydroguard and that'll be here this Friday. I'm going to do a full res change, as the ppms are pretty high for being so young. Plus I need to get rid of the Defguard that's in the res. The substance doesn't seem to be growing or getting any bigger, and the bubbles aren't getting any worse. The root growth has absolutely exploded though, so whatever it is it isn't killing the plant, yet. But either way, I'm going to do a full res change once the hydroguard is here to lower the PPM and switch over to the Hydroguard instead of using the Defguard.

Two of my bulkheads are arriving Friday, and the third will be here next Tuesday. So I'm hoping to have the rdwc system built by tuesday night. Things are going smoothly though, it seems.

Can we just talk about this root growth?

Day 10 from seed; Henceforth known as Day 4 of Veg:

I've been curious about when veg actually starts. I checked out some polls, a few forum threads, and came to the conclusion that no one has a clue when veg starts. Or, rather, no one can agree on a common number. I went with what makes the most sense to me (even tho I'm a newbie) which was once the first set of true (serrated) leaves come in and the second set begins. For me, this was on Dec 3rd. So I name December 3rd as Day 1 of Veg, which would make today Day 4.

Alright, the pics are coming first this time:

full

full

Yeah, that root is out of frame. In fact, it's below the intake tube.

Today I noticed the tiniest bit of yellowing on the tips of the two biggest leaves. It's hard to tell in the picture, but it's there. The whole plant seems a bit lighter in general, anyway. I haven't fed any nutes so far, and since I received my Hydroguard a day early, today is the perfect day to change out the res. I suspect I added an INSANE amount of Defguard last week, based on the concentration, which caused that film of bubbles and the pale/yellow crap. We'll see if it comes back in the new res. It's actually another bucket, so I can clean out the old one and let it sit and dry for a while.

I let 3.5 gallons of tap water sit for around 3 hours. For anyone wondering, I used a gallon water jug and poured one gallon of water in my 5 gallon bucket, then marked the water level with some vinyl. I did this up to 4 gallons, so I wouldn't have to fill the jug then pour it in the 5 gallon bucket. By this method, I know I need around 3.5 gallons of water to be an inch under my 6 inch net pot lid. I added the following and in this order:
  • GH Micro 1/2 tsp / gallon
  • GH Grow 1/2 tsp / gallon
  • GH Bloom 1/2 tsp / gallon
  • 2 ml Hydroguard / gallon
I let that sit for around 15 minutes, then PHed down to 5.6.

When people are stating PPM measurements, does that include the PPM of the water before the nutes go in? My PPM after the PH down is 720, but it started with 286 straight out the faucet. This means the nutes and the hydroguard added 434 PPM, which is generally considered 'good' for early veg, as far as my research could tell. If that's wrong, please let me know. I also noticed in others' logs who use tap water, their PPM levels for the grow are going to be higher than someone who uses RO water.

Yesterday my lowest temp was 71, which is a little alarming. The RH was also quite low, and I believe it's because of the exhaust fan being run 100% of the time. My light timer has a second outlet, so I plugged the fan into that so the exhaust doesn't run when the lights are off. This helps keep humidity in, and also temps a little higher because the air isn't being constantly cycled. I still have a Lasko tower fan running on the lowest setting inside the tent. The plant is swaying slightly, which is great. I'm going to have to re-think this during flower, because smell will be an issue and I'll need the exhaust fan on 24/7.

Lastly, I started a Neem oil foliar spray regimine. I've read too many logs where people have gone 90% of the way just to lose out to PM or other things. As a result of that, I've decided to take preventative measures and very lightly spray the tops and undersides of the plant. I'm going to do this every 10 days, up until buds start forming. I believe some people will spray their plants up to a few weeks before cut, which includes any bud development up until that point. I need to research this more, but I'm not there yet. I have a quart size, amber glass spray bottle that I mixed the spray in. I used mildly warm water which a few drops of liquid dish soap. Placed the cap on, and shake-and-baked. I then used a funnel and put in 2 tsp of cold-pressed Neem oil. From India. At least that's what the label says. I shake-and-baked again and the bubbles from the soap were gone, and none of the neem oil was settling at the top of the water. This means it's mixed and ready to go. If you still had oil separating from the water on top, add a drop or two more of soap and shake again. As I'm running LED lights, I'm not too concerned with heat, so I choose to spray when the lights were on. Around a minute later the leaves were dry, with no pooling water droplets to burn the leaves. Good deal.

Before entire res change:

PH: 6.2
PPM: 482
Water Temp: 72
Tent Temp: 73F low to 80F high
RH: 36% low to 44% high

After mixing new res:

PH: 5.6
PPM: 720
Water Temp: 72

Welcome to 420 :passitleft:
Nice little grow ya got. I'm no pro, hence my mentioning a pro,
1. Those roots should be in water, the tip at the least.(maybe)
2. If your ph is at 5.6, too low dude. 6.3 is where you should be at the least..

Hey Sgtkill, thanks for stopping by! The roots are definitely in the water. The water is around an inch below the net pot, and the roots are hanging out around a foot, maybe more, into my solution.

I'll have to double check the ph requirements, but as far as I knew, you want hydro to be lower than coco or soil. 5.5 to 6.0 for hydro, higher for soil.

I actually read through a bunch of pages of your grow last night and wanted to reply some good vibes, but got busy. You're really on track, and doing a great job!

Hey Sgtkill, thanks for stopping by! The roots are definitely in the water. The water is around an inch below the net pot, and the roots are hanging out around a foot, maybe more, into my solution.

I'll have to double check the ph requirements, but as far as I knew, you want hydro to be lower than coco or soil. 5.5 to 6.0 for hydro, higher for soil.

I actually read through a bunch of pages of your grow last night and wanted to reply some good vibes, but got busy. You're really on track, and doing a great job!
An thankya for da good vibez. Back to you.

I see now what you mean . Guess with 'water' being your grow medium, you don't want it as concentrated eh.

Welcome to 420 Magazine Aspen, I like your setup. Everything looks spot on so far. Yes you'll want to keep your ph a little lower with water culture. 5.5-6.0 is a good range and if you go a little over 6.0 from time to time you're still golden.

Thanks for the reassurance, Pennywise. And a pleasure to have you stop in! I've been all over your threads, and drool at your results. Some day I'll get to that level, and I thank you for spreading your wealth of knowledge around!

Couple things

Yer running GH Flora Trio at 100% strength??
Gunna burn em up, drop to 1/4 strength for a week or two, then max out at 1/2 until u can understand what the plant needs

Neem spray at this age may be harmful , let them focus on growing and not wet leaves

The stuffs on the side is the nutes. The micro goes 1st, be sure and give it 15min, stir well, so it incorporates into the water, then add the rest.

Couple things

Yer running GH Flora Trio at 100% strength??
Gunna burn em up, drop to 1/4 strength for a week or two, then max out at 1/2 until u can understand what the plant needs

Neem spray at this age may be harmful , let them focus on growing and not wet leaves

The stuffs on the side is the nutes. The micro goes 1st, be sure and give it 15min, stir well, so it incorporates into the water, then add the rest.

Hi Chris, and welcome. I've seen you around other people's grows, and I thank you for stopping by!

I'm only feeding 1/2 tsp / gallon of each for only 3 gallons. I have 3.5 gallons in the res. I'm definitely watching her though, and any sign of burn I'll correct. I looked up the flora series labels, and I'm at half strength right now. Slightly less than half, due to there being more water than 3 gallons. The feed schedule I'm following I've seen other growers use as well, so if I start seeing burn I'll be sure to change it.

Thanks for the neem recommendation, I may hold off on that for a week or two then start every 10 days.

I did say 1/2 tsp / gallon, and I just reread my response and edited it to reflect that. The label on Flora micro states for mild vegetative growth, 1 tsp per gallon.

Now, I've read that you should halve the manufacturers recommended amount and that's the max you should use, which means for "mild veg" I should put in, at maximum, 1/2 tsp per gallon. Is this what you mean by saying I'm at 100% nutes?

GH-FloraMicroLabel-pop.jpg

Back
Top Bottom