Auto Topping Thread

Thanks to the input. I ordered a MarsHydro MARSII 400 from Amzn last nite. Just hope it comes in a plain brown wrapper. Ordered a 4" fan and filter kit a few weeks ago. Not thinking to ask (too disoriented?) forgot to ask about that. When I pu at po nice pictures and id all over boxes. Waiting for a knock. Just want to add, always a lurker absorbing info and using my uncommon senselessness to chose what sounds more logical. This site sure has more documented info than I've seen on other sites. Waiting to cut an Auto Seeds Trans Siberian. Being on the other side of maturity but not actions find it difficult to get a steady look at trichs, but looks like maybe 5% amber. Got impatient and cut some popcorn and quick dried over nite and a pleasing buzz. Sorry to be so long winded.

I hear ya about the brown wrapper! My filter and lights came in OK - Brown wrapper style. I won a couple of contests on here though......I went through weeks of paranoid hell after the prizes came with "Bad things" written all over the packaging. I sent emails before letting them send the prizes and was told it was all unlabeled. Not the case.

I don't even bother with the Trichs. In fact, I gave away both of my jewelers loupes the other day. The trichs on the leaves can be 100% amber while the trichs on the buds are barely going milky. To get a good read on it, you will need to pull a bud away from the stem and check something more to the interior of the bud.

I generally cut buds and test it. The top buds will smoke different than the lower buds, so I take one of each. I always thought that I liked Sativas best. Through this process I have discovered that I actually prefer early harvest indica. Sativa make me very forgetful, while indicas give me more of a relaxing....able to concentrate buzz. For activites, I still prefer sativa, but for work it has to be indica.

That's what I want to do is harvest a little early. Heavy indicas really make me useless. Got a good steady handed look at trichs today. Are a lot more than I thought. Topped off the water and put her to sleep until Sunday, then off with her head. I've got an Auto Seeds Mig-29 that poked her head out 5 days ago. The Berry Ryder is on day 41. Can't wait to taste her. Never had a berry strain before. How do you get the previous post to lead off the reply?

That's what I want to do is harvest a little early. Heavy indicas really make me useless. Got a good steady handed look at trichs today. Are a lot more than I thought. Topped off the water and put her to sleep until Sunday, then off with her head. I've got an Auto Seeds Mig-29 that poked her head out 5 days ago. The Berry Ryder is on day 41. Can't wait to taste her. Never had a berry strain before. How do you get the previous post to lead off the reply?

Let us know how the chop goes. On my last chop - about 2 weeks ago - I tried placing the plant in total darkness for 48 hours before harvest. I read in many places that this increases resin and makes them more frosty. When she came out after 48 hours it looked like she had been varnished. So I'd say it works. I'll definitely be trying this again in 2 weeks with an Jack Herrer and Early miss.

I have two heavyweight fast and vast left that doesn't seem to want to finish. They are getting close to 120 mark. Blahhh

Sent from my iPhone using 420

here she is beast, like a said this one's for you and this precedent setting thread... Good luck with all your topping everyone, it can be done.

My Leialoha before 48 hours pre harvest darkness.
20160520_122015.jpg

Thanks Beast, KIG :green_heart:cheers

this is a fantastic site... thank you for your insight... just started looking into med mj... been 34 years since last smoke and have started grow w/a 4 wk old CKS Dwarf Low Flyer and 3 wk old Train Wreck (CKS) and LSD-25 (Fast Buds)... loving it and DLF is taking off - lots of bud sites - 3 gall smart pots for each - L25 & TW are each auto fems as well - back in 70's when we grew we knew nothing of Indica's or Sativa's or the term Bud - you bought a bag of weed.. always had seeds and generally was Columbian in origin... you planted the seeds and you got a harvest... I get a kick out of some discussions where they minimize the leaf - I took off a couple leaves that didn't look right mostly on the 3 wk old L25 and after 3 hits I got a very nice buzz... I can't wait to see what she'll do when mature and what a "seedless" bud will tast like - there was talk about California Sensimilla and Gainsville Green when I stopped in my early 20's those many years ago, but it only came around these parts one time that I remember and I wasn't able to score any at the time... so this should be quite a learning experience and I really do appreciate knowing what type will do what for me and how to manipulate it... I too don't really like being so ripped I can't function... this is all stealth... children do not partake and all must be done on the sly so if I do medicate it has to be done w/forethought and planning. I would never know about early tests, when to harvest early... I enjoyed the body buzz frankly... Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood Live at Madison Square Garden sounded especially good... as it was late I would have liked a bit more of a back of the head buzz but heck it was immature leaves dried in a microwave after 34 years... so the potential is good for that to happen... I do have a question as well... can I trim off leaves that are blocking other bud sites on an auto plant... I've tucked some but others aren't that cooperative. I also have to admit I really do wish to try one of the buds on the DLF, but don't want to harm the plant or stunt it's growth... I will having a total knee replacement and really looked at MMJ to replace opioids as well as OTC anti-inflammatories for arthritis issues along w/pain relief rather than prescription meds. Let me know your thoughts when you can... thanks a million... I also think I'll do the no lights for 48 hrs before harvest...

ok so when do you top an auto... how often... this plant is amazing looking - (what strain?)... do you trim your auto as well - everything I read previously said not to top nor to trim but your baby looks like you did both... thanks for your help.

ok so when do you top an auto... how often... this plant is amazing looking - (what strain?)... do you trim your auto as well - everything I read previously said not to top nor to trim but your baby looks like you did both... thanks for your help.

Hi Headman, and Welcome! From your post it sounds like you are in the right forum :)

You can cut leaves, and it is a good thing to top autos. Everyone has their own styles and preferences. I shoot for topping autos between days 14-18 max. I cut the growth immediately above the 3rd set of true leaves. If I don't make it before these days, I don't top. I only top once, but there is at least one grower in this thread that is doing multiple tops on autos, hopefully he will chime in. I'd love to check his progress too. My autos are usually starting preflower between 14 and 21 days so this is why I like to top early. {Complete side note here but for me an accomplishment I am quite proud of, I will be topping 4 autos tomorrow each ONLY 10 DAYS above soil. My best time before this was 14 days.} I've had successes and (relative) failures in the name of experimentation and so far it seems that the bigger and stronger I can have them when the first white hairs start to show up, the better the yield will be.
As for defoliating, it is pretty much necessary for me. I grow very short, dense plants so I have to get some of that bush out of there. I am a big fan of tucking until the stretch is over then lollipop the bottom and clear out the excess. I also don't like to cut any leave that is less than 2 weeks old. Having said this, when I defoliate the upper half, I ignore most leaves around the outside and focus more on the leaves between the "towers". I have side lighting for the outsides, but it seems to help to allow a bit of a tunnel down the center for a nice deep penetration of light.
I wouldn't worry too much about trying a bud. I do it all the time. That is my method for deciding when to harvest....I have little faith in going by the trichomes so I go by the buzz.
I'm also right with you about avoiding the opiates. They make me so sick, even in small doses I can't tolerate them. Puking until the pills wear off is worse that what ever the pill was taken for.

Again, welcome to the forum and best of luck with your grow(s)

PS I only found out the difference between indica and sativa last May (about a year ago) and my wife and I have not missed one single day of smoking in 20years & 3months. So don't feel bad :)

Well, chop day is here. Being in the dark seemed to add some trichs. The great news, for me anyway, is it's the best weight I've ever gotten before, 170.9 grams wet. Now comes my real problem area, drying. Seems as tho' I can never get it quite right. Always a learning experience. As a guy I used to know said, the day you don't learn something new is the day you die.
I can't figure out how to get pics to show in thread but are in my gallery. I'm going to top my Mig-29 in another week or two. The MarsHydro is supposed to be here Tuesday. So can finish the Berry Ryder and run full term on the Mig. Hope all have a mellow work week.

Hi there, at last a pic of a purple skunk that has been topped 3 times. I think I have posted pictures of the process previously.

The conditions were not ideal because the tent is a bit full and branches could not be LSTed properly. It is possible that the second top was done 3 days too late, but sooner was not possible (there was nothing to cut :) ) . It would probably work better with a strain that flowers later (4th week for ex). The center did not stretch a lot, it took the place of the small ngs. COmpare it to the un-topped Jack 47 Auto at its right (3 weeks older), it is like it is "reversed".

The main stem has been topped 3 times (1 regular top + 2 topping of 2 new branches), new branches has grown slowly and it is the secondary branches that became the main cola site, and the main stem became small bud sites. The 2 long branches have nugs all over, so it could still give nice yield.

The Blow Mind that has been topped in a simiular but different way, has grown differently, and it was easier to bend branches. It is growing low but extermely dense, I will post pics when the tent is less crowded and Blow mind flowers a bit bigger.

I still have a mixed opinion about topping autos, sometimes it worked great, some other time it made no noticeable difference. My biggest/most productive plants are either topped or not-topped, it depends. Again, the conditions were special due to the difficulty to do proper LST. I think next time I will begin LST at day 1 or 2 and top after that if necessary rather than topping then LST.

(right click image and choose diplay, then press "ctrl" + "+" 3 or 4 times to zoom in

088-all.jpg

Just wanted to show everyone Leialoha' underbelly. Quite the skeletal structure.

20160520_122108.jpg

20160522_083945.jpg

Thanks everyone KiG :green_heart:

Edit:
I agree with schtiggy, I usually top my autos at around day 14, or as soon as the third node is cleared. It's really a craps shoot though, you never now what size your auto will turnout to be. This is is northern lights automatic from cropking, and it didn't start to flower till week 4 or 5 of veg. Conversely my gang of autos I have now flowered by week 3 shortly after topping and are very small compared to Leialoha. It is good to know what your strain will do, that way you can plan it out better. I had grown 3 of the same strain just prior and new exactly what to expect from this one. And I definitely pushed it to the max, not recommended unless you can spend time with her every day.

KiG

hi everybody! great looking plants here.

Im pretty new here tho I have been lurking for years... I've been interested in autos since seeing the quick results everyone was getting and the fact that they've become better and better just in the short time I've been watching.

Anyway i was finally able to start growing this year an was anxious to try topping an auto. So when i started two auto purple cheese seeds i topped this one at day 11. shes at day 31 now and i think im going to start training here soon...
DSCF19633.JPG

so like i said coming up on 5 weeks and still no signs of preflowers. but i think shes looking pretty good...

This is my first real grow(grew 1 other PC but didn't pay too much attention to it) so id really appreciate any of you guys checking out my journal and providing any tips...
I've also got 6 more seeds of a couple different stains and ill be topping at least half of them.

Hi, here are some topped ones (left) next to untopped plants (right, even though one of them is missing its big cola that i've cut a few days ago)

The comparison in this pic is a bit unfair because the topped ones grew in an overwrowded environment, and could not really expand. But I had other plants that were topped in a "normal" environment (pics were posted here, but also in my grow journal).

How topping of autos worked is, for me and as a 1st try in this field, relates to both strains specs and growing technics. If you manage to get a 1 meter high plant (3 feet), then topping is nice because you will get the space to yield. Otherwise, I would simply leave the plant untopped. Generally speaking, untopped plants are much more beautiful due to their big colas and it is nice to see the differences between strains. Autos are probably a bit too fast to grow to allow a proper topping that significantly rises output.
It was not a negative experience - as I do not feel I've lost anything in terms of production, because it's the same as untopped in my case - but I strongly feel that this is not the purpose of autos, and that feminized are the best way to go for topping to see a significant difference that justifies the extra work.

May be it is me and my growing philosophy (natural, leave things alone, let live...) which makes topping suspicious to me, or may be don't do it like me with 12 plants in a 4*4 box, do it with a couple of plants in a big room, may be that's how it will give what i see in ppl pictures. :)
Happy growing everyone

099-last01.jpg
099-last02.jpg

This will be my first auto grow and after much debating, this thread convinced me to top them. I currently have 5 THC Bomb autos at 14 days old. Don't think they're quite ready to top yet. They're being grown outdoors in 5 gallon buckets and will be getting direct sunlight nearly from sun up to sun down. Will probably do some lst as well. Any input is appreciated. I'm looking forward to seeing what these can do!

20160601_190653.jpg
20160601_190704.jpg
20160601_190728.jpg

Hello !

This is my report on the expermiments with 3 cuts instead of 1.
2 methods were used that can be summarized like this:

1st method: "1 stem has been topped 3 times" (plant at the right)
2nd method: "3 stems have been topped once" (plant at the left)

A little of lst has been used on both plants to spread the branches. it was easier on the 2nd method due to the more balanced size.

Details after pictures;
Blow Mind Auto (left) = 44 cm, Bloody Skunk Auto (right) = 54 cm . Big leaves have been removed.
110-75-all2.jpg

1st method

=========
You top a first time at the 3rd node. When 2 new branches are born and can be topped, you top them too. You also cut the lower branches as soon as the upper ones have enough leaves not to suffer from the loss of the lower ones.
110-75BS.jpg

A lot of stress is put on 1 stem. The plant will grow the new branches as fast as it can, but in the meantime, the lower - untopped, branches will grow. The time that it takes for the 3-top to reach an "adult" size is too long and will bring you past the stretching period.
The result is a plant with big buds on the sides and a lot of smaller branches at the center.

Advantages of the method:
The shape is interesting for someone who seeks to produce a "SOG of taller plants" . The vertical structure may help densify the number of containers in the same room.
However, I beleive that the 2nd method described below is the best for auto-SOG.

2nd method:
==========
You top the main stem as you wish at 3rd or 4th node. At the same time, or as soon as you can a few days later, you also top the branches that have grown *below* the node that you topped. Ideally, everything should be at a similar "altitude" after topping, but this is not a major point. Then, you also cut the lower branches as soon as the upper ones have enough leaves not to suffer from the loss of the lower ones.
110-75-bm.jpg

The big difference with the first method is that, during stretching, the plant will not show as much differences in size between topped and untopped branches. it is much more balanced. I also found that LST was easier.

Advantages of the method:
- LST was easier to do. -
- The buds are extremely dense, more than in the first method.
- It is also much densier than the same plant that I've grown previously and topped once only.
- All buds were very dense from top to bottom. It is all "A Grade", there is no "buds of lower quality" on that plant.

Second method seems perfect for auto topping-SOG (more plants in smaller growrooms), and same quality on the whole plant that deserves to be pointed out.

In both methods, little or no care was provided after the first few days after the operations (LST on big branches during a few weeks, eventhough the room was overcroweded so they could not expand horizontally, which is ok for SOG).

Well, Beast, took a little longer to get started than I wanted, but I've just topped 4 of 7 LSD 25 Autos. Looking forward to this grow!! I see I have a few pages to catch up on here, so I'll leave some pics and do some reading.
Happy growing, everyone!!
:thumb:

The tags with a "T" on the
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]top are topped....[/FONT][/FONT]
20160611_021223.jpg
20160611_021232.jpg
20160611_021246.jpg
20160611_021305.jpg
20160611_021314.jpg
20160611_021330.jpg
20160611_021339.jpg
20160610_022852.jpg