Beginner's Log

I was talking about the clones
Yeah I know. But don't have anything to cut till I get the to stretch what I mean.. all plants u see what I got now. No more seeds and everything is only 5 inches tall. The 3 I have month old is just that 5 inches tall. Lmao but they are full of stems underneath but dam u would think they be taller

I know why they not stretching cause light is giving alot of light so cut back on light at night to simulate cloudy days. To make them stretch. I hope
Bro again I'm not talking about those plants I'm talking about the colones. Trust me I understand you trying to get them to stretch best way to do that is raise the light dramatically from them

Bro again I'm not talking about those plants I'm talking about the colones. Trust me I understand you trying to get them to stretch best way to do that is raise the light dramatically from them
Don't have any clones. I cut 12 off that afgan and all died the next day. Everyone. WD-40 killed the sht out of plants

IMO when your medium is buffered (a lot are), pHing is probably irrelevant.
If you're growing hydro though for sure don't skip pHing.
Still think your issue wasn't a pH thing or a nitrogen toxicity.
It doesn't hurt to have the solution to calibrate the meter though... I don't have any so that's part of the reason I don't even touch my meter.

It does fade over time, but certainly not over the period of a single grow.
The bale of promix has an expiry for this exact reason.
According to the Pro Mix mfg'rs webpage it fades quickly. Let me cite from the PM mfg’rs website and help you out.

“Calcitic limestone dissolves faster than dolomitic limestone so it quickly adjusts a growing medium's pH within one week, but it has a shorter residual effect of up to 1-2 months.”

(From: Calcitic vs Dolomitic Limestone in Growing Media | PRO-MIX Greenhouse Growing)

Yeah mark I 86 them clones very next day. Half was dying and all looked like sht. And when that happens. I just say strong survive weak die. No point trying to save something going die anyway. It killed the plant in 24 hrs sad. But sht happens. . plus I had 8 more that puts my tent to max to worry about. Something one step back make world of difference. As u can tell on rest of my plants I have.

I've never had a problem. I do hear of people reamending their peat after they finish a grow.
Pro Mix (PM )is like a “fine wine”. You must select PM at the right mfg date and then use it at the right time to get the "newly purchased" PM soilless media pH in the usable soil pH range (without amending it for pH). If PM prdt is younger than 9-months old your media pH may be have low pH (less than pH=5.5). If you wait 12-months from the mfg date to use PM, pH of the media may be higher than the desired range (pH = 5.5. to 6.5).

Basically, to capture PM media in the “right” starting media pH the mfg suggests planting, watering and waiting about a week before the true pH of the PM media can be measured accurately and no longer changes.

(From: Calcitic vs Dolomitic Limestone in Growing Media | PRO-MIX Greenhouse Growing)

In fact the PM mfg'r website recommends testing the pH of PM media before use and gives a handy explanation and picture-example.

ph-of-fresh-unused-hp.jpg

(From: Low pH of Fresh Growing Media | PRO-MIX)

My point is you are not getting all you can out of your soil media unless you measure the media pH and amend as needed, starting with and during a grow.

Every bag of ProMix has a manufacture date, and they recommend it be used within a year of manufacturer.

full

Sorry, what's the question?
The original question was: Why did Marcus's 420 plant have yellowing leaves on the bottom?

Further among in that discussion, a suggestion was made about water pH. Marcus explained that he "calibrated" his pH meter each time. From there Marcus realized that he may not have calibrated his pH meter accurately because of a video he watched online.

Needless to say at that point I panicked - I thought Marcus was using ordinary water to calibrate his past pH meter calibration attempts.

Marcus then re-calibrated his pH meter using foil pH calibration packs. Afterward, there was some discussion of the ease of "foil pack pH standard" vs "liquid pH standard" for of pH meter calibration.

At that point, @Regrowth posted-in and said that Pro Mix soil was good because pH of the media was buffered to the correct soil-media pH and that pH'ing the water was not necessary.

I disagreed saying in my experience PM soil pH varied considerably over time and that PM soil pH was usually moving always and not "fixed pH" via limestone buffers in PM.

Then @Regrowth reached-out to you, @InTheShed , for guidance on PM and the whole limestone buffering effect.

And, here we are...:thumb:

The original question was: Why did Marcus's 420 plant have yellowing leaves on the bottom?
Sorry Charlie, I was just responding to your reticence to believe the usefulness of the manufacture date. I hope you've satisfied your curiosity by now!
At that point, @Regrowth posted-in and said that Pro Mix soil was good because pH of the media was buffered to the correct soil-media pH and that pH'ing the water was not necessary.
@Regrowth is correct for fresh ProMix. The durability of the buffering capacity of ProMix depends on your water and nitrogen type, but no amount of pH'ing your nutes changes that. Pour 4.0 water through ProMix that slurry tests at 7.4 and 24 hours later your ProMix will still be 7.4. That's not how you adjust the pH of your ProMix when necessary.
I disagreed saying in my experience PM soil pH varied considerably over time and that PM soil pH was usually moving always and not "fixed pH" via limestone buffers in PM.
As mentioned in the quote Regrowth pulled, ProMix pH will vary over time depending on the variables I just listed. Soil will as well, but it resists that drift better than peat.
I'm not going to use pro mix enough of it please
Fair nuff! I won't continue down this path. :ciao:

Good morning everybody okie dokie here we go. Tested my water after my nutes. I think I've been fucking up quite a bit on this pH cuz my calibration was off. Cuz after I put in everything and took a reading it said like 5.8 pH which means that's what it said before when I used to check pH without the calibration and it usually read higher. Which means it was actually low and I was adding pH down when I actually probably needed up. But anyways I dipped it in the 4.0 said the same I dipped it in my half gallon jug said the same as yesterday. And then I've done my pH to my solution and this is what I got staying steady. Even though it shows the watermark line clearly not in the water I only brought it out a little bit to show you the numbers it actually read 6.31 and stayed there steady. Thank you so much everyone I hope this helps them out

20220209_075049.jpg
WELL DONE - @marcus611a !

Why are you fighting me so much on this particular topic.
If you want to pH your nutrients do it. Key thing to take away is that the pH of your nutrients as long as they are in a range that won't kill you would be acceptable to feed to your plants without even being adjusted. Over time the pH of the medium will rise in pH - I admitted to that.

@InTheShed, I guess the questions he had were
Do you need to adjust pH in a medium such as ProMix HP? (I already know the answer!)
And how long does the pH buffer last for?
Does it get watered out in '6 weeks' or '12 watering' or whatever metric he wants to use.

We both told you the manufacturer recommends using it within 12 months of the manufactured date. That's the use by date...
Not fighting you - just saying - pH of the water and soil-media matter! A lot.

Why are you fighting me so much on this particular topic.
If you want to pH your nutrients do it. Key thing to take away is that the pH of your nutrients as long as they are in a range that won't kill you would be acceptable to feed to your plants without even being adjusted. Over time the pH of the medium will rise in pH - I admitted to that.

@InTheShed, I guess the questions he had were
Do you need to adjust pH in a medium such as ProMix HP? (I already know the answer!)
And how long does the pH buffer last for?
Does it get watered out in '6 weeks' or '12 watering' or whatever metric he wants to use.

We both told you the manufacturer recommends using it within 12 months of the manufactured date. That's the use by date...
Must of missed your recommendation to use it within 12-months...

Also the whole thing about not linking to external sites when you can simply quote and state a point was for convenience and for SEO like I mentioned. Yes, sites do disappear over night. Perhaps not the ProMix site but they do. When information is here directly on the site, you can search for it... come on man...
Ok, sold on that...I will do the reading for you.

You're free to do what you like. Please, stop quoting posts you've already replied to and trying to belittle me for god knows what reason. I appreciate the fact that you took the time to quote the articles and to clarify things. Really... But now you're just backtracking and perhaps looking to argue. I read everything you've written and now I just don't feel I need to reply any longer or feed into this. We've both said enough. Now please let the thread continue like it should.

Back
Top Bottom