Cannabis Rezination

Thanks, Shed- I knew you and Sweet Sue said it was better post infusion, and that
was good enough for me, but it's nice to know the science behind that statement!
And yes, a lot better for sure..

Ahoy Commodore @Desormais,
How goes the crew you are going to utilize in your MeJA debut?
I am rooting you on whenever you are mission ready. :love:
I have just completed the 21 day trim on my Star Dawgs.
I think I'll spray meja on some of them around day 35 and will drought a subset.
Some friends say they finish in 7 or 8 weeks so I have to think about when to drought.

Friend1 will use meja again on his current grow, which is 4 different strains.
Friend2 should be spraying relatively soon on his current grow. I asked him to do some with and without.

More results in a couple of months...

For sure pre dust all your molds.

Well done, Maritimer!
For sure pre dust all your molds.
I did that the first time I made gummies, but I haven't done it since, because those gummies got moldy...
But- I wasn't refrigerating them at that time, so they might have molded without the cornstarch...
I'm used to turning the molds inside-out to get the gummies out, so I skip the cornstarch step now..

Garden Update;
The Northern Lights are being taken down one at a time. The one Girl Scout Cookie has really came out well from my perspective, and I will grab a picture of her tomorrow to highlight her progress.

A point about defoliation will be made that I am confident other gardeners will object with. I will bring the science that supports my position. Every time a leaf is considered for removal, what are the benefits and drawbacks of the cut?

Garden Update;
The Northern Lights are being taken down one at a time. The one Girl Scout Cookie has really came out well from my perspective, and I will grab a picture of her tomorrow to highlight her progress.

A point about defoliation will be made that I am confident other gardeners will object with. I will bring the science that supports my position. Every time a leaf is considered for removal, what are the benefits and drawbacks of the cut?
Hi Maritimer, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on defoliation. I have read great things about it, including the technique of Schwazzing. I have seen 'before and after' posts where the bud growth seemed amazing, but unless carried out with some side by side controls it's maybe hard to really know. I've seen great analogies with growing tomatoes but I don't smoke tomatoes. And I've seen where folk have been passionately for, and against it. I've tried defoliation before, but to be honest I didn't really feel it made any difference that I could notice.
Of my current plants everything is growing quite lush and appears to look happy and healthy, so I will probably only remove any old dying leaves when they appear or ones that massively obstruct light to developing buds, and if the resulting outcome isn't too flash then next year maybe I'll try defoliation again, but in the meantime I'm very interested to hear how you find it. :hookah:

How do you measure leaf wilt angle on these?

Half of them look ready to fall off.
Commodore;
When LWA is not obtainable (as you have observed here) the drought application relies on time as a gauge of the applied stressor.

Half of the leaves have fallen off. Another function of abscisic acid wherein primacy of senescence becomes homeostatic. The GRN is of course the driver. :bongrip:

Straw Hat Notes;
Defoliation after flip... believers beware!
Lots too consider when you go off with a pair of scissors in your hands. So you have looked over your girl and notice a huge fan leaf blocking every photon in the neighborhood. Oh yeah... cut it off. SNIP.

The research staff at Curtis Mathis and myself have disagreed for years now on the CM recommendation involving trimming and pruning as they call it. They have the notion that if a leaf is not getting light any longer because of overhead growth it should be removed from the plant. Another recommendation from them says any discolored leaves should be removed.

Cannabis plants from around the globe look at this practice the same as myself. Very unhobbitual !

From a plant fitness perspective, a ritual involving very strategic application of abiotic stress through leaf cutting can be beneficial but also dangerous. We says just shake hands with her every day. The big fan leaf I mentioned above does not need cut. They are easily moved and restrained if you must.

Each and every leaf on that plant is part of a system the creator put in place designed as a bloom booster. How many stories have been told of gardeners scratching their heads wondering why the girls slowed or stopped eating the food they provided and instead turned on itself draining the leaves of color and life?

When the GRN decides it is time for senescence to begin we can offer our plants a buffet of readily upregulated nutrition and she may eat some or none. The plants preferred source of energy and nutrition have been stored in the foliar mass and will now be consumed. If you have been busy removing her leaves she will starve even when offered food. Her last meal has been stolen away by her well intentioned gardener.

just sayin :hookah:

When the GRN decides it is time for senescence to begin we can offer our plants a buffet of readily upregulated nutrition and she may eat some or none. The plants preferred source of energy and nutrition have been stored in the foliar mass and will now be consumed. If you have been busy removing her leaves she will starve even when offered food. Her last meal has been stolen away by her well intentioned gardener.
Thanks Maritimer that is a really interesting point. It makes a lot of sense that nutrition stored in the foliar mass would be lost to the plant after defoliation. I wonder, does it make any difference whether the plant is receiving bottled notes or compared to as in my case, organic living soil with water only. Does bottled nutes 'feed' the plant more directly perhaps? I don't know I don't use bottled nutes but I wondered is it 'horses for courses', is there some particular approach where it can work out spectacular either way. As some people seem to be able to pull out big yields from defoliated indoor plants grown with bottled nutes, and yet others grow huge round trees in 1000 gallon soil bag with masses of leaves and pounds of colas with no defoliation. Interesting though. Cheers. :smokin:

Pre-flip I thin the bottom to move all new growth to the top of the plant, since the plant will try to replace what you take off (it knows how many leaves it needs). Post-stretch thinning I take almost entirely buds and leave the adjoining fans, because the leaves provide the plant with both photosynthesis and a food source when needed. And I don't want the plant to spend its energy growing new fans rather than buds.

This is for airflow and to keep mildew and rot at bay.
I often hear to defoliate for airflow, but my plants grow outside on the balcony where I feel there is constant breeze/wind so I'd be a little surprised if airflow was a problem in their environment, as thankfully so far I have never had mildrew. So for those reasons while the plants look healthy and happy I am inclined to just allow them to enjoy the leaves that they produce!
Aside from airflow, I am curious as to whether there are certain conditions where defoliation works or works better to produce a bigger bud yield and I wondered whether it had more to do with indoor grows and bottled nutes.:hmmmm:

Ahoy @StoneOtter my brother!
As luck would have it, a perfect 4 of 6 Stankberry X Northern Lights seeds has proven to be female.
Aye, La Femme Fatale :love:
I have a genuine passion for female cannabis plants.
I killed the boyz not havin your pollinator skills.

Powerful :love: heading towards you and your family.
The young ladies look great. Thanks again.

Ahoy @StoneOtter my brother!
As luck would have it, a perfect 4 of 6 Stankberry X Northern Lights seeds has proven to be female.
Aye, La Femme Fatale :love:
I have a genuine passion for female cannabis plants.
I killed the boyz not havin your pollinator skills.

Powerful :love: heading towards you and your family.
The young ladies look great. Thanks again.
WooHoo! That grew great last time for you! Those are excellent female to male numbers! Grow on my good brother! We feel the :love: you send and are using it for all good loving purposes!
I'm all jelly as I haven't tried it yet myself. Going to fix that soon!

Garden Update:
All four NL and one GSC are down. Bloom room 1 is occupied with the Stankberry X Northern Lights crew and Bloom room 2 is running a crew of five Critical Kush.

On a side note we have a Bruce Banner that had a unfortunate accident when she was a young girl. She is in the corner I failed too support last run. Yep... already got her strapped to the rafters. She looks to have recovered well and is in her third week of flower. By all my normal criteria she is a healthy and happy plant that has taken advantage of a prolonged vegetative growth period. With a bit of tongue in cheek we are preparing to apply some Methyl Ester Jasmonate between flower weeks 4 and 5 as Commodore @Desormais indicates is suggested by our supplier.

Call me cautious, but we will be applying MeJA at 100 parts per million vs. 150 and have a look see what happens. :hookah:

Back
Top Bottom