Cheap & Stealthy CFL Grow

Hidan420

This is my 2nd Grow,after the first one (4 years ago) was a mess due to my lack of knowledge (overwatering,over ferts, no fan, big fungus gnats infestation, little pots etc...).
This time, I want to do better even if I'm going with CFLs...I will try, at least!:laughtwo:
I already know that I'm not gonna pull big things with this grow/environment, but I'm planning an upgrade in the future because this is all what I can do right know!
PS= (I don't speak very well english..)

Info:

3x Afghan Kush - World of Seeds
1x Maroc - Female Seeds

Soil = Vigor Plant + Perlite
Soil Composition = Baltic white peat, Irish peat, Black peat and Humus bark
Soil PH = 6.2

Pots = 40 cm diameter (15/16 inches), I think between 20/25 liters (5/6 gallons)

Lights = 2x 65w CFL - 6400°K
2x 65w CFL - 2700°K
Total = 260w (Actual wattage) - 13,000 lumens

Fan = Single 6/7 inches Clip Fan - 4w

Nutrients = BioBizz Try-Pack - BioGrow - BioBloom - TopMax

For the first few days lights were over 20 cm/ 7-8 inches...so they stretched! :bravo::laugh:
I found a wood plank to put under the pots, now they are 10/12 cm - 4/5 inches from lights..
I've let them sprout for a week! This photos are from yesterday where I started to count Day 1 of Veg!
Unfortunately,I don't have a reflector....
I water them every 4 days (3 days dry then water), do you think it's good or should I change water schedule?

20160407_201457.jpg

2016-04-07_2.jpg

2016-04-071.jpg

re: Cheap & Stealthy CFL Grow

I forgot to mention,that I'm gonna use ONA Gel Pro at the beginning of flowering stage to cover the smell...I don't think I need a carbon filter because this room is directly outside a balcony with a little window to exchange air,so I'm planning on spreading ONA Gel outside the door and window when the smell starts to kick in...Is it gonna work for you guys?
Also I want to try for the first time some LST and possibly Topping, but my concerns are about having only 260w CFLs....Do you think that with this setup I could potentially slow my grow too much and overall decrease my final yield?
I would like to hit 45g (1.5oz),at least....anything above I would be satisfied and happy!:thanks:

Heya HiDan420! Welcome to the :420: grow room! It looks like you are off to a good start and have done some research. Im confident that you can hit your 1.5 oz goal. As far as topping and LST goes. LST will generally not slow down your grow time by any real visible amount. Topping usually only takes away a few days at most if done at the right time. I believe you are growing photo period plants? Topping is generally done between the 3-5th node (sets of leaf pairs after the first single fingered leaves not counting the oval cytelodons) Topping used with LST is a great way to achieve a uniform canopy and maximize yield with CFLs. You definitely want a mostly level canopy as CFLs lack the light penetrating power that HIDs and LEDs have. Ill be keepin an eye on your grow my new friend. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Have fun! :high-five:

Heya HiDan420! Welcome to the :420: grow room! It looks like you are off to a good start and have done some research. Im confident that you can hit your 1.5 oz goal. As far as topping and LST goes. LST will generally not slow down your grow time by any real visible amount. Topping usually only takes away a few days at most if done at the right time. I believe you are growing photo period plants? Topping is generally done between the 3-5th node (sets of leaf pairs after the first single fingered leaves not counting the oval cytelodons) Topping used with LST is a great way to achieve a uniform canopy and maximize yield with CFLs. You definitely want a mostly level canopy as CFLs lack the light penetrating power that HIDs and LEDs have. Ill be keepin an eye on your grow my new friend. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Have fun! :high-five:

Thank you very much for response Stihl! Yes,I want to try Topping at 5th node....I'm on a 20/4 light schedule,both strains are feminized not autos. I was thinking even to top only 1 or 2 plants, but I will not have a uniform canopy,so I'm gonna do all 4....
Next week I'll start feeding with BioGrow, do you think my water schedule is good? I don't want to overwater/underwater my plants...
Thank you very much for your support, I'm sure I'll be asking more when I start LST,Topping and maybe Scrogging!:high-five:

Thank you very much for response Stihl! Yes,I want to try Topping at 5th node....I'm on a 20/4 light schedule,both strains are feminized not autos. I was thinking even to top only 1 or 2 plants, but I will not have a uniform canopy,so I'm gonna do all 4....
Next week I'll start feeding with BioGrow, do you think my water schedule is good? I don't want to overwater/underwater my plants...
Thank you very much for your support, I'm sure I'll be asking more when I start LST,Topping and maybe Scrogging!:high-five:

Sounds good! Just start off light to see how they react to feeding. Start light. Its easier to under feed than to try to recover an un happy plant that goes into "bitch mode" :rofl: 1/4 strength the first feeding then go to 1/2 strength 2-3 days later then after a week of 1/2 strength if all looks clean and green ya can go full noise. :thumb:

Sounds good! Just start off light to see how they react to feeding. Start light. Its easier to under feed than to try to recover an un happy plant that goes into "bitch mode" :rofl: 1/4 strength the first feeding then go to 1/2 strength 2-3 days later then after a week of 1/2 strength if all looks clean and green ya can go full noise. :thumb:

I was thinking to start with 0.5ml/L (1/2 strength),because I don't want to risk anything,but you're probably right...better go even less with 1/4 strength! Prevention is better than cure! :thanks:

:popcorn: Hi there! I told you I'd come by. If I could make some small suggestions? I would pack more soil around those stretchy stems. (if they had been transplanted deeper you wouldn't need to) Your lighting appears to be the right height above the plants (if you can hold your hand just above the plant and it's not too hot, it's OK), but they may fall over. Remember to rotate the planters, and put some rocks/marbles between it and the tray so you are less likely to over-water. I hope this was helpful/useful info.:cheesygrinsmiley:
HOZ

:popcorn: Hi there! I told you I'd come by. If I could make some small suggestions? I would pack more soil around those stretchy stems. (if they had been transplanted deeper you wouldn't need to) Your lighting appears to be the right height above the plants (if you can hold your hand just above the plant and it's not too hot, it's OK), but they may fall over. Remember to rotate the planters, and put some rocks/marbles between it and the tray so you are less likely to over-water. I hope this was helpful/useful info.:cheesygrinsmiley:
HOZ

Hey,Hoz! Yes,I was just thinking about that....like to put a plastic cup with cutted bottom around them and fill it with more soil,sounds good?
By the way, I didn't transplanted, I put them directly into this final pots....
Also you're right, they tend to follow the lights and slightly bend their little stem,in fact I was rotating pots these days to keep em straight...
Lastly, if you mean putting rocks like vermiculite/perlite between pots and trays,that's a good idea,I didn't thought about,but for the moment I don't think it's a problem (we'll see).
Great great thanks for your suggestions!:thanks::Namaste:

Hey,Hoz! Yes,I was just thinking about that....like to put a plastic cup with cutted bottom around them and fill it with more soil,sounds good?
Anything you can do to support the stem
Lastly, if you mean putting rocks like vermiculite/perlite NO, Harder like I said marbles or small rocks (also makes rotating easier) between pots and trays,that's a good idea,I didn't thought about,but for the moment I don't think it's a problem
'This is the reason I suggested them. I lost a big teen female ready to go out because I drowned it! Here it is
0313161841.jpg

One less producing for me right now, I'm going to try and catch up with the next ones
HOZ

Subbed... Reps on doing a journal...

I tried to fill the stems like this...I hope it's gonna work,cause these cups are the only thing that I got right now.
The one without cup is Maroc, I don't think it needs right now,so I filled around some soil...
2016-04-10_7.jpg

2016-04-10_2.jpg

Afghan Kush #1
2016-04-10_4.jpg

Afghan Kush #2
2016-04-10_5.jpg

Afghan Kush #3
2016-04-10_6.jpg

:thedoubletake:YIKES:thedoubletake:
These plants are young enough, no root mass yet, they need to be transplanted deeper, I don't believe you'll like the results of what you've done. Use a hand held trowel (shovel) dig wide and deep around them and plant them DEEPER so that only an inch is above the soil line. You will have problems if you leave them as they are now. Sorry for the bad news, but better safe than sorry :cheesygrinsmiley:
HOZ

:thedoubletake:YIKES:thedoubletake:
These plants are young enough, no root mass yet, they need to be transplanted deeper, I don't believe you'll like the results of what you've done. Use a hand held trowel (shovel) dig wide and deep around them and plant them DEEPER so that only an inch is above the soil line. You will have problems if you leave them as they are now. Sorry for the bad news, but better safe than sorry :cheesygrinsmiley:
HOZ

:surrender::surrender::surrender:
I'm afraid to damage the roots to be honest....is that bad? Because I noticed this last days that they weren't stretching anymore...
They are putting leaves and stems are slighlty increased...
Don't get me wrong, I know you're right, but is gonna affect their growth so much?
I don't want to mess with them,cause I know that final yield will still be unimportant...:hmmmm:

DAY 10 - VEG
Yesterday,I started to feed BioGrow (1/3 strenght) in 2 liters of water (0,52gal) and they seem to respond well! They're putting 3rd node,so another 2 and I will top them!
These are today's pics! Hope you enjoy!

Afghan Kush #1
2016-04-16_3.jpg

Afghan Kush #2
2016-04-16_4.jpg

Afghan Kush #3
2016-04-16_5.jpg

Hidan, I hadn't seen a post from you for a while so glad to see you at it! The plants look healthy! I just topped my OG Kush since I am barely older than you I thought I would share this pic.
IMG_147526.JPG

As you can see, just topped above third set of leaves (Thursday)
Keep up the good work!:cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks a lot Hoz! Yes I've been busy these days,and I like to see some difference in growth between pics hahaha!That is a beautiful OG Kush for sure! A lot bigger than mines....of course with your LEDs and Hydro setup there's no comparison! :laughtwo: I love hydro but it's too time demanding and caring for me! I like the lazy easy way hahaha!
By the way, I think in a couple of days I'm going to upgrade all the setup! So,probably I'm gonna switch under a 600w MH,and I hope to see an explosive growth!:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom