Cheap & Stealthy CFL Grow

re: Cheap & Stealthy CFL Grow

Yep,thanks Hoz! Yesterday I was looking in grow journals some of your LST guys (even your Hoz xD),in fact I think you're one of the few that do this "4-way" without bending main stem first. I got some metal wire to use,but I have to drill holes in the pot or I can cling them on the outer edge?.....However I think when they'll get bigger there must be a hole to hold strong branches,am I right?
About the Scrog, I only have a 2.6x2.6 feet metal net,so do you think it could help or must be larger? Because I'm still wondering if to use it or not...:Namaste:
Hey Hidan! If you have been reading through my journals you can see I experiment a lot. When growing indoors scrogs ar plant netting are a pretty good way to go. Each space can hold a terminal end (bud) As far as the LST, when you say metal wire, I hope you got "insulated" wire. It won't cut into the stem as easily as bare wire. I drill the holes around the perimeter because it works for me. Some hook it over the edge, it works for them. In my hydro, I hook it over the edge, I don't want to drill the edge of my hydro. As far as strong enough, they should be, I just want to keep them in the same spot without them sliding around. If you have ceramic pots, drilling them with a carbide bit is a pain and the pot sometimes cracks so I don't recommend doing that. As far as the scrog, it depends on the size of the plant. They are good to use to keep the top of the canopy level. I have probably said this before, but experiment. Find what works for you and your grow space. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Have a great day! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Ok,so I will try to see what work for me! Thanks again Hoz! :Namaste:
Today's pics after feeding!
DAY 13 - VEG

Afghan Kush #1
2016-04-19_1.jpg

Afghan Kush #2
2016-04-19_2.jpg

Afghan Kush #3
2016-04-19_3.jpg

Just a heads up, no light energy is emitted out end of CFL. You need to turn them sideways for full light energy. You are using light stand bulb holders not ideal to hang over plants.

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

Just a heads up, no light energy is emitted out end of CFL. You need to turn them sideways for full light energy. You are using light stand bulb holders not ideal to hang over plants.

Cheers

Yes, you're right millertm! But I think I'm gonna leave them like this since I'm gonna swap in new tent...I think these CFLs will be used only for sprouting from now on!

Hey guys! What's up? Just topped all 4 right now and I feel guilty for that:bitingnails:
Let's see how they will develop!
By the way,I'm gonna switch tent in a week or so I hope....been busy and got some problems in the way.
Hope you enjoy!:blushsmile:
DAY 20 - VEG

Afghan Kush #1
2016-04-26_1.jpg

Afghan Kush #2
2016-04-26_3.jpg

Afghan Kush #3
2016-04-26_2.jpg

If you don't mind, I'm gonna just pull up a seat right here. :grinjoint:

I DIYed a cheap, stealthy grow in the beginning as well. I had 10 CFLs made into a light, a dresser as my cab, and I was raring to go. Unfortunately so were the heat, lack of ventilation and space problems. I ended up getting a LED and tent not too long after. I'm not growing right now, but I'm still researching better lights, and soils while my tent is down. I think I'm better at growing my own meds rather than taking them :laughtwo:

Your girls are looking great so far!

So guys,here we are after a "sweaty mounting" ahahah! Finally new setup is finished,what do you guys think?
Temp seems stable between 24,5 - 25 °C (76 - 77 °F), Humidity at 38% and bulb is 20 inches from the top of plants.
Now, when tent is closed it's sucked from inside by the power of exhaust fan...but I closed side holes with zip ties and leaved only 1 opened near ventilation fan (it's not that bad),so do you think I must open one side hole? If I open 1 of these, will the smell come out? Cause they started to smell few days ago.
PS= I'm a bit worried to post pics in these forum by the way,is this domain on americans servers? Do you think I can stay calm/safe?
Hope you enjoy!:blushsmile:
2016-04-28.jpg

Looking good! Open the vents at the bottom to get the air flowing through the tent. You won't smell anything because your flow through the filter, exhaust fan will not allow it to.... Like I said, looking good! :cheesygrinsmiley:
As for posting, don't worry about it. Law enforcement not worried about the little guy. :thumb:

Looking good! Open the vents at the bottom to get the air flowing through the tent. You won't smell anything because your flow through the filter, exhaust fan will not allow it to.... Like I said, looking good! :cheesygrinsmiley:
As for posting, don't worry about it. Law enforcement not worried about the little guy. :thumb:

Thanks Hoz! I like a lot this new setup! However I got 3 vents hole:
1) Near ventilation fan as you can see that is now opened.
2) Top left side as you can see closed.
3) Top right side closed .
I didn't expected so much sucking power from that exhaust fan hahaha! So do you think even opening those 2 top side vents will not allow smell sneak out?
Lastly I'm thinking if I can put more plants (for next cycle).....like 9? Considering these pots I think 6 can fit for sure,but do you think I can go up to 9, making 3 "lines" with 3 pots of this size each? I already know that with 6 it's gonna be a jungle but I would love to make 3 plants of 3 different strains in one cycle....

Thanks Hoz! I like a lot this new setup! However I got 3 vents hole:
I didn't expected so much sucking power from that exhaust fan hahaha! So do you think even opening those 2 top side vents will not allow smell sneak out?

You want to balance the airflow going through the tent. As long as the open vent are not allowing airflow out (you can check with matches or a candle) you should be right on the money!

Lastly I'm thinking if I can put more plants (for next cycle).....like 9? Considering these pots I think 6 can fit for sure,but do you think I can go up to 9, making 3 "lines" with 3 pots of this size each? I already know that with 6 it's gonna be a jungle but I would love to make 3 plants of 3 different strains in one cycle....

I just looked back at my 2013 journal when I had a similar setup 4X4 tent (without the filter) and I had 6 going in 3 1/2 gallon pots. You need room to get inside and work on watering, trimming, and pest control. 2 plants each of three strain ain't bad....:cheesygrinsmiley:

Mmmm, yeah maybe it's better to go with 6 and leave some room to operate....for now I will see how much space 4 can take. I saw some sick DNA Genetics strains that I cannot wait to try :drool:! Also thanks for these vents advices that I will try soon!
I was wondering if I can adjust reflector from 20 to 16 inches,cause I think I'm loosing a bit of energy at this distance...
Thanks as always Hoz!:high-five::Namaste:

Big problem going on...When my thermometer was on top of reflector it was saying 81°F and sonde at plant level was saying 80°F...
Now just to try I moved thermometer on pots level and it says 89°F and increasing! Sonde at same level now says 87°F increasing....
I even opened all 3 vents holes and added that little fan from previous room,but these are the parameters!! Considering that it's still spring time and today's outdoor temp arrived to 74°-75°F, I cannot imagine what it's going to be in full summer when out temps will hit from 95°F to 100°F !!!!! Any helps? I think that adding fans doesn't change anything.....I'm seriously considering on running light at night and gain those 4 hours off from 1 pm to 5 pm!
I have to say that I exhaust the air in the room where the tent is but I left 2 windows opened and it seems to make no effect...
By the way, I think this cycle will be complete from early to half july,but in that period, temps aren't "soft" for sure....
Any others tips other then running at night? (I don't have possibilities to put A/C).:helpsmilie:

Need to run at night. I do. I also need to take summer off. 400 watt HPS will work but to small for the trouble. You need to drop wattage too. I went from 1050 watts to 400 watts to keep my tent under 80°. T5HO is cool running. I have a 2' 8 bulb setup that pulls 192 watts and it flowered 4 plants in a 4x4 closet with no ventilation. They run about $150.

Cheers

Hey miller! Thanks for reply,I can dim down to 600w,but there's a problem about this:
" Be sure to allow the lamp to run
continuously for 10 minutes before changing settings. Rapidly
switching the setting on your Lumatek ballast may cause harm
to the lamp. To change output settings on your Lumatek ballast
simply click the control switch into one of its four preset
positions. The soft dim feature utilises a gradual change
between settings at a rate of 150W per 60 seconds to help
prolong lamp-life."
Considering that I'm using a timer, I cannot stay everyday and lose 10 minutes just do dim down the wattage...
I was thinking that around half May I will finish 6 weeks of veg and probably switch to flower,so from that period on I'm gonna have 12 hours of dark and I could run light from 9 p.m. to 9 a.m. ! I saw weather forecasts for June and July and night temps here will be around from 65°F to 75°F, so I think it's doable!:icon_roll

Ha, I dim and Un dim my lights all the time, I hot re strike (under 15 min, I'll re light after 5 min). Those are only recommended practice to max out your light. I'll replace every grow. My eye is on second cycle and I can see yield loss. Get a 400 watt light, it's not very hot. Much less then 600 watt

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom