Cheap & Stealthy CFL Grow

re: Cheap & Stealthy CFL Grow

Maybe go back to CFL's for the summer?

Yes,but only on next cycle when I'll use CFLs for new sprouts...thanks for the suggestion..

So,do you think I can set the ballast at 600w without breaking anything?
I can't buy new lights...
What about a humidifier? It will help? I found that it will help until plants grow bigger and then they're gonna raise humidity by themselves...
For now I changed the timer setup to run at night,I'll update what temps come out tomorrow.

Ok,so my dark period go from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. ....and temps are the same!:trance:
I resigned myself and bought a portable A/C. I hope this gonna work cause this is my ultimate choice. It consumes 1L of water per hour and capacity is 6L,so I think I'm covered for 6 hours and probably I will use it from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. ( hottest hours ). At this point if it works properly, I'm gonna return light cycle on daytime cause during the day I have some light leaks coming from windows and I want to give full darkness...

New update...I dimmed down to 750w and temps are now under 83°F and probe says 76°F ( at 1000w they were near 92°F and probe 85°F) so I think it's good for now. In flowering I'll dim up again to 1000w if this "mini A/C" works,otherwise I will leave at 750w. New tops are growing and stems thickened quite a bit. I think another 4-5 days and I will start LST,then another 4-5 days and top again. Hope you enjoy!

DAY 26 - VEG

Afghan Kush #1
2016-05-02_2.jpg

Afghan Kush #2
2016-05-02_3.jpg

Afghan Kush #3
2016-05-02_4.jpg

I'd try and keep Temps under 80. Your better off running a 750 watt bulb or 600 then 1000 dimmed. Xtrasun makes a good 750 that runs well at 800. Their 600 and 400 are good lamps too. Good luck.

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

I'd try and keep Temps under 80. Your better off running a 750 watt bulb or 600 then 1000 dimmed. Xtrasun makes a good 750 that runs well at 800. Their 600 and 400 are good lamps too. Good luck.

Cheers

Yeah,maybe if temps don't stay like this in summer I will try to exhaust the air directly out of the window. For bulbs....Unfortunately I'm way out of the budget so I think I will keep it like this...even if I know that probably the bulb will run out quicker (and also for saving a bit on bills). Thanks for the suggestions and for good luck Miller! Hope to see some nice and colorful flowers!:Namaste:

I'm sorry, your grow is not ducted out a window? If you are running a 1000 watt light regardless of dimming it needs to be ducted out of your room. 3750 BTU's is a good level of heat that needs to be removed. Moreover, Xtrasun HPS 400 Watt bulbs are under $20 and 600 watt are under $30. Heat is the one issue you need to control the most. I would not even attempt to grow if I could not control my heat. I'm taking July through September off because of heat issues. If you are trying to run a HID Lamp without ducting it out a window, I'm suspect that you'll be able to make it to harvest. I hope I heard you wrong.

Cheers

I'm sorry, your grow is not ducted out a window? If you are running a 1000 watt light regardless of dimming it needs to be ducted out of your room. 3750 BTU's is a good level of heat that needs to be removed. Moreover, Xtrasun HPS 400 Watt bulbs are under $20 and 600 watt are under $30. Heat is the one issue you need to control the most. I would not even attempt to grow if I could not control my heat. I'm taking July through September off because of heat issues. If you are trying to run a HID Lamp without ducting it out a window, I'm suspect that you'll be able to make it to harvest. I hope I heard you wrong.

Cheers

No but it's in a quite big room. I can dim down max to 600w...Well,plants are now growing so I hope they don't do too bad considering this grow to harvest in mid July,however it's certain that I will exhaust out of the window,but not now cause temps seems good.
Also I hope that this "mini A/C" can help...The die is cast...if this go bad then, lesson learned and I will never retry a "summer harvest" and maybe stop to May/Mid June....

It's a losing battle if your not ducted out a window. I'd make that a top priority. Most of your problems will go away if you can get that done. I tried that setup in my garage with door cracked and 50° weather outside. I had a cooltube ducted up and cold intake from ground. Garage heated up with tent over 80° in no time. I'd look at some 400 watt bulbs too until you can duct your heat. Good luck.

Cheers

Yeah, If I can I like to learn fast, and we learn from our mistakes. Like you said Hoz, we have to experiment, so I will do it. Maybe you're thinking "Oh man,this guy doesn't want to hear or understand..." , but I want to see with my eyes how much heat July develop here in a grow like this and try to manage it as best as I can. I'm not saying it's easy, cause I know it's gonna be tough,but probably if I try now with CFLs,maybe I'm gonna do this mistake next summer. I know you're saying this cause probably you tried on your skin but it will be an experience that I will carry on my back in future. My first goal with CFL was to hit 1.5 oz in total and I think with this setup that it will be very feasible even with summer conditions but who knows maybe I'm very wrong and plants will die a week before harvest. I'm not so arrogant to expect 10 oz or anything near that, but I will take it as a learning experience...:peace:

I'm sorry for coming on strong. I want you to succeed and enjoy your harvest. Myself and others have been down this road a few times and when I see you have trouble I'll try and help. However, this is not easy and certain conditions must be managed effectively. With your setup not being ducted it makes managing your heat difficult. I'd run bare bulb and have two fans. One larger 500 CFM min pushing air into your tent pointed down low in tent. Another 450 CFM with filter at top of tent ducted out of tent to top of room. Get your intake air in another room or the coldest you can find with flexible ducting. Also, parabolic reflector will allow heat to rise and not be directed down on plants. Good luck.

Cheers

You don't have to apologize Miller, I like to talk and confront with you guys, I'm here to learn. To be honest, I'm counting on 3 factors to help me in flowering with temps.
1) Running lights from 9 p.m. to 9 a.m.
2) Ducting exhaust air out of the window.
3) Pushing cool air in intake from this "mini A/C"
We will see! I'll keep you updated.
Thanks!

You don't have to apologize Miller, I like to talk and confront with you guys, I'm here to learn. To be honest, I'm counting on 3 factors to help me in flowering with temps.
1) Running lights from 9 p.m. to 9 a.m.
2) Ducting exhaust air out of the window.
3) Pushing cool air in intake from this "mini A/C"
We will see! I'll keep you updated.
Thanks!

I am hoping with the "factors" you have in mind that your heat problem will be solved. Living, learning, loving the people here on 420 magazine is all part of the experience. As I try to mentor the ONLY thing I have to offer is my experiences and what I have gleaned from other growers here. You are the one that gets to make it work and WE ARE ALL ON YOUR TEAM!!! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thank you very much for response Stihl! Yes,I want to try Topping at 5th node....I'm on a 20/4 light schedule,both strains are feminized not autos. I was thinking even to top only 1 or 2 plants, but I will not have a uniform canopy,so I'm gonna do all 4....
Next week I'll start feeding with BioGrow, do you think my water schedule is good? I don't want to overwater/underwater my plants...
Thank you very much for your support, I'm sure I'll be asking more when I start LST,Topping and maybe Scrogging!:high-five:
Do you have a running journal for your grow. It sounds like we're both on the same wavelegenth.

Do you have a running journal for your grow. It sounds like we're both on the same wavelegenth.

:rofl::rofl:

So, I tried to use metal wire with a "U" shape for LST,but I have to admit that it wasn't good at all. Today, I drilled holes all around the edges of pots every 2 inches and used some strings to tie them down...and there's no comparison,it's much better than before.
Another step completed!
They're very bushy now and there's an average of 6-8 tied branches on each one...
Do you think I can top them again in 4-5 days,then giving a week to grow a bit and switch to 12/12?
Or let them grow and switch without a second topping?
What do you do in your grows? Top once? Top twice or more?
Here is a pic..( sorry for hps light )
2016-05-06.jpg

You might end up with the string cutting into the plant, that's why I use the decorative pipe cleaners.I thought I went over topping, after every two sets of leaves works well, stopping when you have the structure you want. (MORE than two) Then you can go to flower...

Back
Top Bottom